New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Good fiction books on Kindle unlimited

Looking for some good fiction reads that come with kindle unlimited for the quarantine. Recently I've been reading superhero novels and modern fantasy's but I'm up for sci-fi, classic fantasy, mysteries, and any other fiction you've got. Preferably ones with at least a little action.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Good fiction books on Kindle unlimited

What do you like in your sci-fi? It's the bulk of my bread and butter reading in Kindle Unlimited, so I can point you in the direction of all sorts of different stuff.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lets see what I used it for. Hmm mostly stuff I am not sure about recommending, I haven't used it for long and most bigger authors won't use it of course.

The Cradle series by Will Wight is on kindle unlimited. (Xianxia but actually good. (Xianxia is basically chinese martial arts stuff with much more super powers and you gain the super powers by "cultivating". Btw if one knows xianxia Street Cultivation is an interesting variant and on kindle unlimited. Basically a xianxia world that has developed into a modern one similar to ours. Though I would class it as a bit slice of lifey not much of an overarching plot.)

The Mage Errant books are decent. I would place the target age group as teens and it is about a mage school.

Sufficiently Advanced Magic wasn't bad.

The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1) is basically a secret agency made up of super powered people and MC is pretty highly placed but starts the series with Amnesia but tries to hide that while still in that position.

Child of the Daystar, lizard guy MC with improbable combat skills. Main enemies are slaver organizations. Not a bad read.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I enjoyed Mark Lawrence's "Impossible Times" series - it involves time travel and people playing Dungeons and Dragons. Three book series, already done. the books are "One Word Kill", "Limited Wish", and "Dispel Illusion".
    I'm on the third book in the Cartographer series by A.C. Cobble, and I'm really liking it. It's a fantasy setting that is roughly in the British colonization phase of history, and it's about a Duke and a priestess fighting against evil sorcery. First book is "Quill".
    If you're looking for a thriller, I liked the book "Aztec Gold", and it's the first in a series that is a spin off of other series.
    I believe that K.U. is where I read the Daniel Faust books, and those are great. Think The Dresden Files, except Dresden is a criminal. The books are by Craig Schaefer, and the first is "Long Way Down". It also spins out into several other series, all good.
    I enjoyed the Billy Cunningham books by James Swain - "Take Down", "Bad Action", and "Super Con". All about con artists in Vegas, if you like that sort of thing.
    If you want some humor, then the "Space Team" books, by Barry Hutchinson, are good for a laugh. As is the "Starship Grifters" series by Robert Kroese.
    There are a lot more that I enjoyed, but those are the ones that I've read recently enough and enjoyed enough that they spring to mind.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Lets see what I used it for. Hmm mostly stuff I am not sure about recommending, I haven't used it for long and most bigger authors won't use it of course.

The Cradle series by Will Wight is on kindle unlimited. (Xianxia but actually good. (Xianxia is basically chinese martial arts stuff with much more super powers and you gain the super powers by "cultivating". Btw if one knows xianxia Street Cultivation is an interesting variant and on kindle unlimited. Basically a xianxia world that has developed into a modern one similar to ours. Though I would class it as a bit slice of lifey not much of an overarching plot.)

The Mage Errant books are decent. I would place the target age group as teens and it is about a mage school.

Sufficiently Advanced Magic wasn't bad.

The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1) is basically a secret agency made up of super powered people and MC is pretty highly placed but starts the series with Amnesia but tries to hide that while still in that position.

Child of the Daystar, lizard guy MC with improbable combat skills. Main enemies are slaver organizations. Not a bad read.
    I've considered reading Street cultivation. Gonna need to read the other suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    I enjoyed Mark Lawrence's "Impossible Times" series - it involves time travel and people playing Dungeons and Dragons. Three book series, already done. the books are "One Word Kill", "Limited Wish", and "Dispel Illusion".
    I'm on the third book in the Cartographer series by A.C. Cobble, and I'm really liking it. It's a fantasy setting that is roughly in the British colonization phase of history, and it's about a Duke and a priestess fighting against evil sorcery. First book is "Quill".
    If you're looking for a thriller, I liked the book "Aztec Gold", and it's the first in a series that is a spin off of other series.
    I believe that K.U. is where I read the Daniel Faust books, and those are great. Think The Dresden Files, except Dresden is a criminal. The books are by Craig Schaefer, and the first is "Long Way Down". It also spins out into several other series, all good.
    I enjoyed the Billy Cunningham books by James Swain - "Take Down", "Bad Action", and "Super Con". All about con artists in Vegas, if you like that sort of thing.
    If you want some humor, then the "Space Team" books, by Barry Hutchinson, are good for a laugh. As is the "Starship Grifters" series by Robert Kroese.
    There are a lot more that I enjoyed, but those are the ones that I've read recently enough and enjoyed enough that they spring to mind.
    All sounds pretty good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Marko Kloos' "Frontlines" series is excellent. Book 1 is here.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

thread relevant to me. take note of some books