New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Spear + Natural Weapon Reach

Can I threaten adjacent squares with my natural weapon(claws) while threatening targets 10ft away using a lance?

Would 2 weapon fighting apply to it if I'm only using one at a time?

Would my claw attack still count as a primary natural weapon if I have a manufactured weapon in the other hand, but not attack with it?

Can I cast a spell with a 2 handed weapon equipped?

I want to use Stormguard Warrior and Thicket of Blades with long arm grafts so I can pull AOO from a large area. I already have too many feats so I can't afford one to get spiked chain proficiency. I am trying to make up for not having a spiked chain with items and gold instead of feats. I have dread necromancer levels so if I can't have both a reach weapon and my natural weapon, my next choice would be casting a touch spell defensively.

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Spear + Natural Weapon Reach

Quote Originally Posted by ccflier View Post
    Can I threaten adjacent squares with my natural weapon(claws) while threatening targets 10ft away using a lance?
    Yes. That's commonly done with lance + armor spikes, or lance + (imp)unarmed attack, and it's completely valid to use natural attacks to threaten adjacent spaces.

Would 2 weapon fighting apply to it if I'm only using one at a time?
    No, you can wield more than one weapon and use them, you only get benefits/penalties from TWF if you use both at the same time. Using only one of them in a round counts as normal combat.

Would my claw attack still count as a primary natural weapon if I have a manufactured weapon in the other hand, but not attack with it?
    Yes, you can ignore the normal weapon and only use your other claw. Do note that if you have two claw attacks, you only get to use one because the second hand is gripping the weapon.

Spells with somatic components require one free hand. You could cast spells with only Verbal components, but these are rare. Alternatively, the Still Spell MM lets you remove somatic components from a spell, at a +1 spell lv price.

I want to use Stormguard Warrior and Thicket of Blades with long arm grafts so I can pull AOO from a large area. I already have too many feats so I can't afford one to get spiked chain proficiency. I am trying to make up for not having a spiked chain with items and gold instead of feats. I have dread necromancer levels so if I can't have both a reach weapon and my natural weapon, my next choice would be casting a touch spell defensively.
    You can absolutely do it with a lance/ranseur and a natural attack, or a graft that hits up to 10ft. You could do it with armor spikes if you didn't have a natural weapon(although the damage sucks). Hell, you can even use a lance at 15ft with the long arm graft. There's no inconsistency here.
    Last edited by Kayblis; 2020-05-25 at 10:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kayblis View Post
    Yes. That's commonly done with lance + armor spikes, or lance + (imp)unarmed attack, and it's completely valid to use natural attacks to threaten adjacent spaces.

You can absolutely do it with a lance/ranseur and a natural attack, or a graft that hits up to 10ft. You could do it with armor spikes if you didn't have a natural weapon(although the damage sucks). Hell, you can even use a lance at 15ft with the long arm graft. There's no inconsistency here.

I can enchant armor spikes as a weapon though, right? my claw also does 1d4, and most of the damage will be from skills and manuevers, so maybe armor spikes would be better when I get a chance to buy them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

While that is true for the most part, it still doesn't work for the example given.

Since the lance is a 2-h weapon that occupies both hands, he can't use his claws anymore unless he actually switches the weapons. He can't ready em both at the same time.

If you want fluid weapon switches monk's flurry ability is the way to go. You just have to invest some resources to overcome it's limitations.

1. Beast Strike feat to add claw dmg to unarmed strike dmg. This enables the use of claw dmg in your flurry

2. Get the ability to flurry your lance. e.g. Shou Disciple (5) gives you the ability to flurry with any martial weapon.

A monk can exchange legit monk weapons in a flurry as he desires. Without that you would need some kind of action economy to exchange the weapon readied/wielding atm.

Armor Spikes + reach weapon does work because the Armor Spikes don't occupy your hands.

edit: on second thought Beast Strike is optional. since Shou Disciple also gives you the option to flurry your claws. It would just be extra unarmed dmg and the option to use iterative attacks with claws if you take Beast Strike in addition.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    2. Get the ability to flurry your lance. e.g. Shou Disciple (5) gives you the ability to flurry with any martial weapon.
    I would recommend one of the feats that lets you treat a weapon as a monk weapon, and dipping warblade for aptitude, if maneuvers were mentioned.

Edit: feats:
    Double Steel Strike (Eberron Campaign Setting)
    Pole Fighter (Dragon Compendium)
    Pole Master (Secrets of Sarlona)
    Serpent Strike (Eberron Campaign Setting)
    Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon Compendium)
    Whirling Steel Strike (Eberron Campaign Setting)
    Last edited by TheCount; 2020-05-26 at 07:12 AM. Reason: the feats!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

While that is true for the most part, it still doesn't work for the example given.

Since the lance is a 2-h weapon that occupies both hands, he can't use his claws anymore unless he actually switches the weapons. He can't ready em both at the same time.

Armor Spikes + reach weapon does work because the Armor Spikes don't occupy your hands.
    Thanks. This is probably what I am going for anyway sense I can enchant armor spikes. I dont have the feats for adding monk fighting so I'll just get the long arm graft and some armor spikes. Just want to make sure I have the option there to get as far of a reach as I can at the lowest cost.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think a common choice is to use a reach weapon with a spiked gauntlet, too, until you can afford the spiked chain feat tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I already have too many feats so I can't afford one to get spiked chain proficiency. I am trying to make up for not having a spiked chain with items and gold instead of feats.
    On second thought, maybe the solution to your problem is a Spiked Chain with "Proficient" (+2 cost) enhancement.

While the +2 cost is heavy (in terms of denying you other possible enhancements for that cost), it could still be an option.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spells with somatic components require one free hand. You could cast spells with only Verbal components, but these are rare. Alternatively, the Still Spell MM lets you remove somatic components from a spell, at a +1 spell lv price.
    This is true, however if you don't use your weapon during a particular round (because you're casting a spell instead, for example), a two-handed weapon can easily be held in one hand. They only require two hands to wield. Adjusting your grip on a weapon is a free action.

Also, I would definitely recommend the Somatic Weaponry feat if you just can't get a free hand.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

On second thought, maybe the solution to your problem is a Spiked Chain with "Proficient" (+2 cost) enhancement.

While the +2 cost is heavy (in terms of denying you other possible enhancements for that cost), it could still be an option.
    This enhancemnet is perfect.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

missed that question somehow..(lacking concentration the last days..^^).

Yes you can, with some minor exceptions.

What you can do:

- letting off one hand from your 2h-weapon is a free action
    - casting a spell requires "one free hand"
    - putting your hand back on your weapon is also a free action

What you can not do:

You can't use Immediate Action Spells and have your weapon readied for AoO at the same time.
    You have to choose at the end of your turn, if you want to have a hand free to maybe cast possible Immediate Action Spells or have your 2h weapon readied for AoOs (since you don't have free actions when it's not your turn).