New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default RR 1 / Cleric 1 / Monk XX

Does this seem like a reasonable class build? It wouldn't be MAD, and the first level revised ranger and cleric benefits would seem to stack well with the monk class. I was thinking of a single dip in either one, but this seems like a better option and likely 2 dips shouldn't hurt the loss of KI points and ASI loss that much.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: RR 1 / Cleric 1 / Monk XX

Which Cleric domain? What benefits do you see coming from both?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure I see the synergy.

A monk gets more ki every level as well as something decent on almost every level through to 14. I've considered taking a one level dip in war cleric to get divine favor as a spell twice/day since this is one of the few ways to increase the monk's damage adding 1d4 to every attack and only requiring one bonus action at the start of combat. A three level dip gets a lot more spells slots and some additional utility.

However, I am not sure what you are getting from revised ranger that makes it worthwhile except favored enemy or something like that? I'm not sure it is worth the dip.

Anyway, I am curious what your thinking is, what do you see getting from the two 1 level dips that would make it worthwhile?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

What are you wanting out of this character? Yes there is a Wisdom synergy there, but any triple class character is going to feel behind for a while until you get about 5 levels in at least one of the classes.

RR Gloom Stalker 3, Cleric 1, Monk X would be a great character at mid-high levels.

Ranger 1, Cleric, Monk 3 would feel behind the curve at level 5 for sure.

I only recommend this if you can start after level 7 unless you take the Cleric dip really late.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

IMO 1 level of ranger is not worth the delay in monk levels. All it nets you is Favoured enemy and natural explorer. If you want to go ranger you really need to go 3 for hunters mark and some sub-class specials to make the dip worth it. Cleric 1, 2 or 3 can be a sold choice on a monk depending on how you want to play. I really like some of the synergies with trickery domain for a monk but there are few bad choices with clerics.

Monk suffers a lot from delayed level progression so I would suggest only doing it if you have a really clear idea of what you are gaining/loosing and only pick 1 class to dip into.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a shadow monk character and the two dips I have considered are 1 level of war cleric OR 3 levels of gloomstalker ranger (haven't really considered both). Gloomstalker provides darkvision, bonus to initiative, hunters mark, some other low level spells, an extra attack on the first round of combat and some extra move but it costs 3 levels of investment. The cleric provides less in some ways but is only a single level dip.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2020-05-27 at 11:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OctaviOz View Post
    IMO 1 level of ranger is not worth the delay in monk levels. All it nets you is Favoured enemy and natural explorer...
    If permitted by GM/DM, the UA Variant of Favored Foe and Deft Explorer would be worth it.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

92% of forum users no longer put made-up statistics in their signatures. If you're part of the 8% who still do, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutTrooper View Post
    If permitted by GM/DM, the UA Variant of Favored Foe and Deft Explorer would be worth it.
    Yeah, those were amazing improvements.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Using Favored Foe from UA as a first level ranger you'd have access to hunter's mark with the use of a bonus action (without using concentration), and you'd also get one level of higher HP's and two ranger spells (Entangle and Searing smite). Hunter's mark is for melee damage but the UA update for monks gives the 1st level ability for monks to use their weapons for martial arts damage. That seems pretty worthwhile for a one-level dip in ranger.