New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Champions 6e Build Help: Power Replication

Recently I’ve started playing Champions with my friends, and I wanted to play a character who is able to replicate the powers of others, but two things caused issues with this:
    1. There isn’t a power, at least not from my understanding, already in the game that allows us
    2. Me and my friends don’t understand the system enough to make a power like this in our own.
    So, anyone who has seen or attempted something like this, has any ideas, or understands the game well enough, please leave your suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Champions 6e Build Help: Power Replication

Variable power pool with a limit on having to see/be affected by the power first. Exact details will vary. This could be the best use of a vpp I've heard of, they're notoriously fiddly in play. Also look for one of the books with pre-built powers and check the Hero system forums.

You'll want to decide if you can get a partial power or if it's an "all or nothing" power.

A vpp is a pool of points that you use to build powers 'on the fly'. It's pretty costly in terms of points in -> effect points out because of the wild versatility of it. Plus you need a decent level of sysyem mastery to not bog down the game. The most common sort of vpp is usually the gageteer stuff version, with limits on how many points can go into one thing, they have to be OAFs, you need a workshop and downtime to build them, etc.

Really though, I've seen the power somewhere before. Champions has a book of hundreds of prebuilt powers out and I'm certain there's discussion of this on their forums.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for the response Telok! I'll check around for some of the other Champions books!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Telok beat me to it on the VPP.

If 6e works like 5e, you might save some of the cost on the VPP's "control" by having Limitations such as Can Only Copy Powers Witnessed (small Limitation), Can Only Copy Powers of Those Within X Distance At Present (medium), or Can Only Copy Powers With Physical Contact (big).
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.