New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

So anyway I'm making my own D&D 3.5 World called Arcadia which is a very diverse and inclusive world filled with the population of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Orcs and other races. I'm trying to expand my world a bit more. Any tips and advice to anyone?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: I'm Making My Own Solo D&D 3.5 Campaign

Worid building is a huge project. It will take many hundreds of hours of work.

Begin with a broad outline of what your world will be like, then only fill in details as you need them.

And instead of building town after town as lists of names of people and places, build adventures. What good does it do to know Ulmow the Orc runs a brothel in Kimger if there is no reason for a PC to go to Kimger?

Design a series of adventures that take a party to level 10 and an amazing wealth of details appear. Then do it again in another region, and again...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is a pretty big topic, and no single post would do it justice.

Generally, there are two approaches to world-building. Note that these are two ends of a spectrum, and you can feel free to flip from one focus or the other.

-Top-down, where you start from countries, gods, etc. and fill in details as you go in deeper. This is somewhat well-suited to the use of random tables for inspiration, as you can get into a productive loop of zooming a level deeper -> using tables to fill the space with inspiration -> interpret the results of those tables into a situation. One issue with it is that it's not particularly good for generating content to use in a given one-shot or short adventure, since you're spending a lot of effort on something the players won't interact with; on the other hand, though, you end up with a roughly equal amount of detail for the whole world, so the more travel the players do, the more useful your prep becomes. Additionally, the more you understand the scope of a campaign (ex. that the players aren't expected to leave the country), the more focused you can get.

-Bottom-up, where you start from a single area (ex. a single adventure, a single town), and populate the world around it as you go. This is very good if your goal is to get playing as quickly as possible, since you can keep building as you go; it's the way a lot of worlds start. One downside is that it can end up haphazard, as you can find that early decisions have unintended ramifications elsewhere; additionally, you can end up with highly variable levels of detail, so when players take a trip somewhere else, you can end up unprepared. Generally, it doesn't adapt well to sudden shifts- if a player gains information or a weapon that's relevant on a national scale, this can prompt a lot of sudden shifts that might be more easily handled with a top-down perspective (ex. looking at a nation's response first, then the regional response, then a town-by-town response).

One thing you can do that is very powerful is to involve players in the worldbuilding. In my Dungeon World game, I asked my elf bard to tell me about elves, since he was the only elf player. He told me that he was an escaped magical experiment to recreate a long-lost race of magical beings(!). Some more poking and prodding gave me more information about how magic is done in-setting (through emotional investment or self-expression to focus chaotic magic), and about the fall of the elven civilization (they lost control over their own magic, which creates a wild magic zone surrounding their fallen cities). I still have a lot of spaces on my map with essentially just a name and a one-sentence description, but when the party arrives, if I'm not prepared, I can ask players "Has your character been here before? What was it like? Okay, it can be highly magical or charitable to outsiders, but not both- pick one."

My key questions to ask myself about a region(country, city, etc.) when I make it:
    -What have people from outside heard about it?
    -What nearby groups might have influence or interests here?
    I can leave these questions mostly unanswered until the players hear more, if I choose:
    -What are the one or two most pressing issues or conflicts here?
    -Who are the two most powerful groups here?

When I'm designing a group (religion, political movement or faction, guild, race):
    -Where does it have the greatest influence?
    -What are its goals (if any), and what does it look like when it's reached them (if it can)?
    -What are the two major subfactions within it? The more subfactions, the better- monolithic organizations are no good.

Once I've answered those questions, I'm pretty well equipped to use those groups and regions to create adventures or campaigns of a scale relevant to those groups- if I intend to run a game inside a city, knowing about the country as a whole isn't particularly useful, and vice versa.
    Last edited by aimlessPolymath; 2020-05-28 at 02:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    This is a pretty big topic, and no single post would do it justice.

Generally, there are two approaches to world-building. Note that these are two ends of a spectrum, and you can feel free to flip from one focus or the other.

-Top-down, where you start from countries, gods, etc. and fill in details as you go in deeper. This is somewhat well-suited to the use of random tables for inspiration, as you can get into a productive loop of zooming a level deeper -> using tables to fill the space with inspiration -> interpret the results of those tables into a situation. One issue with it is that it's not particularly good for generating content to use in a given one-shot or short adventure since you're spending a lot of effort on something the players won't interact with; on the other hand, though, you end up with a roughly equal amount of detail for the whole world, so the more travel the players do, the more useful your prep becomes. Additionally, the more you understand the scope of a campaign (ex. that the players aren't expected to leave the country), the more focused you can get.

-Bottom-up, where you start from a single area (ex. a single adventure, a single town), and populate the world around it as you go. This is very good if your goal is to get playing as quickly as possible since you can keep building as you go; it's the way a lot of worlds start. One downside is that it can end up haphazard, as you can find that early decisions have unintended ramifications elsewhere; additionally, you can end up with highly variable levels of detail, so when players take a trip somewhere else, you can end up unprepared. Generally, it doesn't adapt well to sudden shifts- if a player gains information or a weapon that's relevant on a national scale, this can prompt a lot of sudden shifts that might be more easily handled with a top-down perspective (ex. looking at a nation's response first, then the regional response, then a town-by-town response).

One thing you can do that is very powerful is to involve players in the worldbuilding. In my Dungeon World game, I asked my elf bard to tell me about elves, since he was the only elf player. He told me that he was an escaped magical experiment to recreate a long-lost race of magical beings(!). Some more poking and prodding gave me more information about how magic is done in-setting (through emotional investment or self-expression to focus chaotic magic), and about the fall of the elven civilization (they lost control over their own magic, which creates a wild magic zone surrounding their fallen cities). I still have a lot of spaces on my map with essentially just a name and a one-sentence description, but when the party arrives, if I'm not prepared, I can ask players "Has your character been here before? What was it like? Okay, it can be highly magical or charitable to outsiders, but not both- pick one."

My key questions to ask myself about a region(country, city, etc.) when I make it:
    -What have people from outside heard about it?
    -What nearby groups might have influence or interests here?
    I can leave these questions mostly unanswered until the players hear more if I choose:
    -What are the one or two most pressing issues or conflicts here?
    -Who are the two most powerful groups here?

When I'm designing a group (religion, political movement or faction, guild, race):
    -Where does it have the greatest influence?
    -What are its goals (if any), and what does it look like when it's reached them (if it can)?
    -What are the two major subfractions within it? The more subfractions, the better- monolithic organizations are no good.

Once I've answered those questions, I'm pretty well equipped to use those groups and regions to create adventures or campaigns of a scale relevant to those groups- if I intend to run a game inside a city, knowing about the country as a whole isn't particularly useful, and vice versa.
    Oh wow. That much huh?

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

TL:DR;
    2-3 different approaches:
    -Start from the big strokes, "this is an elven nation", "this is a farming county", and then go deeper and deeper. Pro: You're equally prepared wherever the players go. Con: You spend a lot of work on some things that may never be useful.

-Start from the small level, and build outwards. This is a farming town bordering a forest, in a county that's dealing with orcs on the border. Pro: Get useful product very quickly. Con: Uneven amount of material when something unexpected happens.

-Ask your players to help you out. They'll be more creative than you think, though it might take some negotiation to make things work.

How to build a place very quickly by answering 2 questions.
    -What have outsiders heard about it? Is it wealthy, is it dominated by some race, etc.
    -What's the most important news? Is it losing money, is a new race coming to power, etc.

Bonus: What are two different perspectives citizens have about that news?

How to build a faction quickly:
    -What does it want? For example, the elvish race might want in general to maintain representation in human governments, or to preserve their way of life.
    -What tools does it have to achieve that goal? For example, dwarves might have their might at arms and their skill with crafts.

Bonus: What are two different perspectives on that goal that members have? For example, do some prioritize different aspects than others, do some think that certain approaches are immoral?
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

TL:DR;
    2-3 different approaches:
    -Start from the big strokes, "this is an elven nation", "this is a farming county", and then go deeper and deeper. Pro: You're equally prepared wherever the players go. Con: You spend a lot of work on some things that may never be useful.

-Start from the small level, and build outwards. This is a farming town bordering a forest, in a county that's dealing with orcs on the border. Pro: Get useful product very quickly. Con: Uneven amount of material when something unexpected happens.

-Ask your players to help you out. They'll be more creative than you think, though it might take some negotiation to make things work.

How to build a place very quickly by answering 2 questions.
    -What have outsiders heard about it? Is it wealthy, is it dominated by some race, etc.
    -What's the most important news? Is it losing money, is a new race coming to power, etc.

Bonus: What are two different perspectives citizens have about that news?

How to build a faction quickly:
    -What does it want? For example, the elvish race might want in general to maintain representation in human governments, or to preserve their way of life.
    -What tools does it have to achieve that goal? For example, dwarves might have their might at arms and their skill with crafts.

Bonus: What are two different perspectives on that goal that members have? For example, do some prioritize different aspects than others, do some think that certain approaches are immoral?
    Well Herlon is a major and important city in the country of Drivor. It has millions of people of all diverse and inclusive races.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well Herlon is a major and important city in the country of Drivor. It has millions of people of all diverse and inclusive races.
    That's a great answer for what people have heard about it! The next step is "what's the most important news of the day?". This question sets the stage for events, and more than one piece of news could be relevant. Some examples to provoke thought:
    -How is its financial situation changing? Is a new market opening up? Is it losing trade? Is it stealing trade from another city? Is there a new tax or exemption that people are reacting to?
    -How is the racial mix changing? Is one race increasing or declining recently? Are there tensions between two races?

Over time, an issue will resolve itself one way or another, changing the city. When that happens, look for the next thing to happen based on how the last one ended.

If you're not ready to answer that question, another thing you could do is go into more detail. Why is the city important? How do those races coexist successfully? Do they coexist successfully?
    Last edited by aimlessPolymath; 2020-06-01 at 02:43 PM.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's a great answer for what people have heard about it! The next step is "what's the most important news of the day?". This question sets the stage for events, and more than one piece of news could be relevant. Some examples to provoke thought:
    -How is its financial situation changing? Is a new market opening up? Is it losing trade? Is it stealing trade from another city? Is there a new tax or exemption that people are reacting to?
    -How is the racial mix changing? Is one race increasing or declining recently? Are there tensions between two races?

Over time, an issue will resolve itself one way or another, changing the city. When that happens, look for the next thing to happen based on how the last one ended.

If you're not ready to answer that question, another thing you could do is go into more detail. Why is the city important? How do those races coexist successfully? Do they coexist successfully?
    The most important news of the day is there's a devil invasion in Herlon. The financial situations of their finance are decreasing tremendously of the devil invasion. Their trying increased taxes and people of Herlon are outraged. There's an increase of the Drow population and there's tension between the High Elves and Drow races knowing the history of the Elf and Drow rivalry.

9. - Top - End - #9

OrcBarbarianGuy

Excellent! That's a reasonable outline of the most important events; it sets you up for adventures centering around Herlon, and it gives you some tools to describe Harlon as the players adventure there.

When the players haven't been there for a while (or as you otherwise move history onwards), those issues get resolved- the devils are driven back, or not, or learn to coexist, but there's damage left behind; the high elves beat down the drow or vice versa, but it's stirred up underlying issues with the rest of the population, etc. To replace them, other news comes up- and note that not all news is bad news. Maybe the drow are now importing a valuable silk, and wealth is pouring in- if the players would import some looms, they could make a great deal of money.

From here, there are a few general directions you could go.
    -You can focus in on detailing some of the individuals, districts, customs, or factions within Herlon. Do all high elves think the same way about the drow?
    -You can zoom out on the larger kingdom of Drivor, and ask yourself some of the same questions as you did with Herlon. Is the devil invasion important enough for the king to care, or does he have other things on his mind?
    -You can invent some neighboring cities of Herlon, and ask some of the same questions as you did with Herlon- but also, ask yourself how they relate with Herlon. Maybe one of them is the main source of the Drow that are immigrating to Herlon?

From there, you iterate; zooom in and out, but don't forget to draw connections between locations and groups as you go.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Excellent! That's a reasonable outline of the most important events; it sets you up for adventures centering around Herlon, and it gives you some tools to describe Harlon as the players adventure there.

When the players haven't been there for a while (or as you otherwise move history onwards), those issues get resolved- the devils are driven back, or not, or learn to coexist, but there's damage left behind; the high elves beat down the drow or vice versa, but it's stirred up underlying issues with the rest of the population, etc. To replace them, other news comes up- and note that not all news is bad news. Maybe the drow are now importing a valuable silk, and wealth is pouring in- if the players would import some looms, they could make a great deal of money.

-You can focus in on detailing some of the individuals, districts, customs, or factions within Herlon. Do all high elves think the same way about the drow?
    -You can zoom out on the larger kingdom of Drivor, and ask yourself some of the same questions as you did with Herlon. Is the devil invasion important enough for the king to care, or does he have other things on his mind?
    -You can invent some neighboring cities of Herlon, and ask some of the same questions as you did with Herlon- but also, ask yourself how they relate with Herlon. Maybe one of them is the main source of the Drow that are immigrating to Herlon?

From there, you iterate; zooom in and out, but don't forget to draw connections between locations and groups as you go.
    There's no king in Herlon. There's a mayor.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-06-01 at 04:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

OrcBarbarianGuy

To reiterate: This is enough information about Herlon on this scale. From here, you need to move on in some way:

-You can focus in on detailing some of the individuals, districts, customs, or factions within Herlon.
    -You can zoom out on the larger kingdom of Drivor, and ask yourself some of the same questions as you did with Herlon.
    -You can move sideways and invent some neighboring cities of Herlon, and ask some of the same questions as you did with Herlon- but also, ask yourself how they relate with Herlon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

To reiterate: This is enough information about Herlon on this scale. From here, you need to move on in some way:

-You can focus in on detailing some of the individuals, districts, customs, or factions within Herlon.
    -You can zoom out on the larger kingdom of Drivor, and ask yourself some of the same questions as you did with Herlon.
    -You can move sideways and invent some neighboring cities of Herlon, and ask some of the same questions as you did with Herlon- but also, ask yourself how they relate with Herlon.
    Sweet. I never knee that world-building is that easy.

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's absolutely simple- it's just that you'll have to repeat this process a lot. This is one major city- how many more are there in the whole country? How many countries are there?

Some tools that can help when inspiration starts to slow down:
    -Look at the relationship between a location and its neighbors; maybe they're becoming more friendly, or less friendly.
    -Consider the location's major industries; an opportunity opening up, or another one closing.
    -Consider the locations's demographics; racial, religious, financial, political, or otherwise. Interactions can happen between two of the same type (ex. two races in conflict), or between two different types (nobles cooperating with a particular church).
    -It's okay to repeat news from one location to another; the nature of the news shifts from "dealing with news X" in location A to "dealing with location A" in location B.

Note that the amount of detail you'll be putting into different locations varies depending on how much time the players will spend there. You currently have the minimum detail for Herlon, but you'll need to zoom in and look in more detail if you expect the players to spend a significant amount of time there. If the pieces of news are going to be a significant aspect of the game, they'll need more information than things the players hear about tangentially to their adventure, etc.
    Last edited by aimlessPolymath; 2020-06-02 at 02:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

My tip would be: don't be too structured.

It's tempting when world building to create nice patterns. The continent consists of 7 kingdoms, roughly equal in size and power. This religion has 3 gods, each symbolized by one of the primary colors and each the patron of one of the three main groups of adventurers. Every 6 years for as long as we can remember the dragon of awe has awoken and eaten a village.

Taken all together it ends up feeling fake. A real world has lots of elements that don't make sense, continental maps with no clear balanced power blocks, with small regions nobody can agree on who they belong to and ethnicity maps that are even worse. Religions that you think you have figured out, but then there's a bunch of supernatural beings that don't really have a category or even a story people agree upon. City maps where one of the five districts is as big as the rest combined yet the city center still lies between the five rather than shifted towards the large one, or the other way around when that option doesn't make sense. The world wasn't build from a plan, countries were not designed as a whole, but build one house at a time. Unless your world was build from a plan, someone put those cities there for a reason, try to add some chaos. It will feel more real.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-06-02 at 03:23 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    My tip would be: don't be too structured.

It's tempting when world building to create nice patterns. The continent consists of 7 kingdoms, roughly equal in size and power. This religion has 3 gods, each symbolized by one of the primary colors and each the patron of one of the three main groups of adventurers. Every 6 years for as long as we can remember the dragon of awe has awoken and eaten a village.

Taken all together it ends up feeling fake. A real world has lots of elements that don't make sense, continental maps with no clear balanced power blocks, with small regions nobody can agree on who they belong to and ethnicity maps that are even worse. Religions that you think you have figured out, but then there's a bunch of supernatural beings that don't really have a category or even a story people agree upon. City maps where one of the five districts is as big as the rest combined yet the city center still lies between the five rather than shifted towards the large one, or the other way around when that option doesn't make sense. The world wasn't build from a plan, countries were not designed as a whole, but build one house at a time. Unless your world was build from a plan, someone put those cities there for a reason, try to add some chaos. It will feel more real.
    It is interesting advice and has many good points, but as a lawful being in general (and not a chaotic one) I would be against the above advice. The world HAS TO have structure for 2 main reasons:

- Chaotic details are minor and do not matter. For example, a coast has a chaotic shape but you are not going to draw it on a map with every detail; you will rather draw a line or a curve. A city is a mixed chaos of humans, orcs, elves etc. but you are not going to create the character sheet of each one of them (except if you are really want to do such an extraordinary and impossible thing that no one has ever done before) but you are going to flesh out the details of only the major characters of the region.

- The world needs balance and law serves that much better than chaos. Sure, there are powerful nations, there are weak nations, but their alliances (if hostile) are equally strong, that is why there is any signs of civilization in your world in the first place. The other way is to have permanent warfare that, in my opinion, would have had reduce the technology and civilization back to the stone age.

Because of these two reasons, I think a more lawful approach serves more than a chaotic one, but chaos is awesome when adding minor details.
    Post if you wish to ask about Ruins & Raiders. I do not answer to PMs anymore.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ARTHAN View Post
    It is interesting advice and has many good points, but as a lawful being in general (and not a chaotic one) I would be against the above advice. The world HAS TO have structure for 2 main reasons:

- Chaotic details are minor and do not matter. For example, a coast has a chaotic shape but you are not going to draw it on a map with every detail; you will rather draw a line or a curve. A city is a mixed chaos of humans, orcs, elves etc. but you are not going to create the character sheet of each one of them (except if you are really want to do such an extraordinary and impossible thing that no one has ever done before) but you are going to flesh out the details of only the major characters of the region.

- The world needs balance and law serves that much better than chaos. Sure, there are powerful nations, there are weak nations, but their alliances (if hostile) are equally strong, that is why there is any signs of civilization in your world in the first place. The other way is to have permanent warfare that, in my opinion, would have had reduce the technology and civilization back to the stone age.

Because of these two reasons, I think a more lawful approach serves more than a chaotic one, but chaos is awesome when adding minor details.
    You can generate chaos with procedural scripts. (Generating a hundred character sheets? Just launch a script.)
    Also permanent warfare is a thing in real life: many countries are constantly at war with at least one other country directly or indirectly.
    You can have alliances but you can also always have wars.
    For war to not cause regression all that is needed is for one side to have a sufficient technological advantage to crush the other with nearly no possible resistance in fact historically it is how many technologies did spread and a common kind of war (because it is much more interesting to start a war you know you will win).
    Maybe you should ask the local cleric to cast detect alignment to see if you are lawful seeing how much you think that regularity and order are absolutes that must absolutely be in world-building?
    TL dr: Your vision of things is one vision among many and not The one.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-06-29 at 09:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Think of it like a novel;

Pick a day and just write in a completely separate document. write anything about the world. anything that comes to mind. Think of a good idea? write it down. Just try and get hundreds of words down or even a thousand or two. Spend a different day reading it and adding the parts you really really want into the setting. Flesh out any incoherent thoughts or such. And don't be afraid to throw something out.

And write an adventure first. Build the main details from their starting point. Unless you go big on the adventure they are going to be spending much time in the starting city/kingdom.