New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Published Builds Using Fell Rider?

Are there any APs or modules that include a statted NPC with the Fell Rider archetype? I'm not finding any examples in the Advanced Race Guide or the Monster Codex.

Is there one buried somewhere in the Ironfang Invasion AP? Or failing that, anywhere at all? I'll take an example at any level, from any official P1 source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Published Builds Using Fell Rider?

I unfortunately can't remember having ever seen a Fell Rider NPC. But I also can't see why you'd have any problems quickly building a suitable one, so why do you need one from a 1PP source?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like there's no published examples of this archetype, which is a shame.

Does anyone happen to have a build for this?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    It sounds like there's no published examples of this archetype, which is a shame.

Does anyone happen to have a build for this?
    Nope, but I can give you one!

If you could just give me some brief answers to say the following questions, I should be able to whip up a Horsemanhobbo suitable for your needs (this assumes this NPC is intended to be an enemy of the party who'll likely face them in combat):
    1. Party level? If you'd like this NPC to be more interesting and/or challenging vs the specific abilities of your party, you should of course also mention the most important of those abilities.
    2. NPC level and/or CR?
    3. Build limitations? For example, should this NPC be built as per NPC guidelines with limited gear, or as per the PC rules with appropriate gear (+1 CR)?
    4. Solo foe or part of a team? And if fighting with a team, who and/or what else is also part of the team?
    5. Combat power? Relative its CR/level and the level of the party, should this NPC be about as challenging as say: a) the very low-op unnamed NPCs found in for exampe the NPC Codex, b) the stronger of the named NPC opponents in Paizo APs, or c) notably more challenging?
    6. Easy or Hard tactics/combat style? Would you like this enemy to use a more conventional/expected/common combat style, or something less expected and/or tactically challenging?
    7. Key non-combat/utility abilities? If any.
    8. Flavor? For example, should this NPC be your classic militaristic disciplined and methodical hobbo soldier, or a more unorthodox one fond of crazy opportunistic gambles?
    9. Anything else of importance? Like say any important houserules, important terrain features of the likely battlefield(s), less common specific goals of the NPC, whether they're intended to be a recurring villain, etc.
    Last edited by upho; 2020-05-29 at 11:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks very much, I appreciate the offer.

1. The party is fourth level, but they’ve accumulated a number of NPCs, most of whom are first or second level and not active combatants. There is one sixth-level NPC who I need to keep busy, so this Fell Rider can devote himself to fighting her.

2. Sixth level is probably the limit for the Fell Rider.

3. PC rules with appropriate gear. Feel free to be creative with funky and obscure magic items, as long as A) they’re from first-party Wizards or Paizo material (ideally the MIC and Ultimate Equipment) and B) they don’t cause encounter-circumventing issues down the road.

4. Part of a team, most of which are fifth or sixth level, including a magus, a cleric, and a couple others I haven’t decided on yet. The team is specifically out to put an end to the PCs, full stop.

5. Challenging but not overwhelming. If the Fell Rider dukes it out with the sixth-level NPC, and even puts her down, that’s fine. The NPC is a Cleric 1/Paladin 5 with a greatsword, but I'd prefer the Fell Rider not be designed specifically to counter her. Let him be his own beast.

6. Tactically challenging, definitely. This is the hardest part for me, since the enemies are experienced hunter-killers, but as a DM I have a hard time coming up with intelligent tactics.

7. Indulge yourself.

8. Zealot servant of a dark goddess, but I don’t mind if he’s the crazy one on the HK team.

9. The terrain is cold moorland interspersed with boreal forest, and right now I’m planning on the combat taking place in the moorland, so effectively out in the open. This may change depending on what the party decides in the next couple sessions, so I can’t be more specific than this.

My only other request is to include a mount that’s a little more interesting than Joe Horse. My first thought was Woolly Rhinoceros, but if that’s not feasible then a Dire Boar would be great.

Thanks again, and I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

6. - Top - End - #6

Nice, those answers should be more than sufficient, I think.

Unfortunately, I've got a bit of RL to take care of for a while, so I may not be able to deliver until about say three or four hours from now. Hopefully that's still in time for your game.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

That would be perfect, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #8

Finally, here's Dread Commander Krung Durbuluk and Makra, fell friends who fell their foes like twin hurricanes in a forest of dead trees, and make the fallen burst like pinatas in a fantastic fiesta of AoOs!

...or something...

Spoiler: Krung Durbuluk and Makra - 6th Level Summary
    Show
    Krung Durbuluk
    "Durbuluk" apparently means "dominator" in 3.5 goblin. Seemed fitting...

Hobgoblin Swashbuckler (Mysterious Avenger) 1, Fighter (Skirmisher) 1, Cavalier (Fell Rider) 4
    NE male humanoid (goblinoid)

Initiative +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +6

DEFENSE
    AC 21, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (4 armor, 5 dex, 2 shield)
    Hp 50 (10+5d10 hd, 12 con)
    Fort +8; Ref +9; Will +5
    Defensive Abilities Qadiran saddle (no penalty to AC from making mounted charge), Vengeful Heart

OFFENSE
    Speed 15 ft.
    Melee +1 agile whip +14/+9*, (1d3+6 slashing lethal or nonlethal damage)
    Reach 5 ft., 15 ft. with whip (threatens all within 10 ft.)
    *Includes the +1 bonus vs Medium or smaller foe due to Krung being on higher ground when mounted. +13/+8 vs Large or larger foe.

Special Attacks and Offensive Abilities
    Attacks of Opportunity 6/round, +4 bonus to attack while tactician is active.
    Challenge Twice per day, as a swift action, Krung may challenge foe he can see; +4 bonus to damage vs challenged, but -2 AC vs attacks of other foes.
    Dread Rider Once per round, as a free action Krung can demoralize a foe he trampled or charged while mounted.
    Order of the Whip Krung gains +2 morale on melee damage rolls vs target of challenge which Krung damaged in the previous round.
    Opportune Parry and Riposte Spend 1 panache to roll AoO vs enemy attack, negate attack if result is greater, may make an attack vs foe as immediate.
    Panache 3 in pool, 1 regained on crit confirmation or when reducing enemy to 0 hp or less.
    Tactician Once per day, as a move action Krung may share Paired Opportunists for 5 rounds with allies in 30 ft. who can see and hear him.
    Vengeful Heart see link.

STATISTICS
    Str 7, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 16 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +6; CMB +5, trip +20, other maneuver using whip +13; CMD 19, 21 vs trip

Feats Combat Reflexes, Dirty FightingB, Greater TripI, Improved Trip, Improved Whip Mastery, Paired OpportunistsB, TrampleB, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (whip)I, Whip MasteryB
    B Class/archetype/order bonus feat. I Granted by item (training amulet of mighty fists or cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder).

Trained Skills Acrobatics +8, Handle Animal +13, Intimidate +14 (+16 while mounted), Knowledge (Religion) +3, Perception +6, Ride +16
    Traits Heirloom Weapon (whip, +2 trip CMB), Indomitable Faith, Reactionary; Drawback Warded Against Nature
    Alternate Racial Traits Bandy-Legged, Fearsome
    Gear +1 agile whip, training (Greater Trip) amulet of mighty fists, mwk chain coat, mithral heavy shield, cloak of resistance +1, cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder

Makra
    Axe Beak Animal Companion (Bully) 6
    N Large animal

Initiative +3; Senses low-light vision; Perception +4

DEFENSE
    AC 22, touch 13, flat-footed 19 (3 armor, 6 natural, 3 dex)
    Hp 45 (6d8 hd, 18 con)
    Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +1; +4 morale on Will saves vs enchantment
    Defensive Abilities Evasion

OFFENSE
    Speed 50 ft.
    Melee bite w. Power Attack +8 (1d8+13 plus demoralize)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Attacks of Opportunity 4/round, +4 bonus to attack while tactician is active.
    Cornugon Smash When using Power Attack, Makra can attempt to demoralize a foe she damages as a free action (even outside her own turn).
    Hurtful When Makra successfully demoralizes a foe, she can make an attack against the foe as a swift action.
    Sudden Charge Makra can make a trip attempt as free action against a foe she hits with a charge (she cannot be tripped in return if attempt fails).

STATISTICS
    Str 22, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Base Atk +4; CMB +11; CMD 24

Feats Combat Reflexes, Cornugon SmashI, Hurtful, Intimidating Prowess, Power AttackB

Trained Skills Perception +4, Intimidate +15 (+19 vs Medium or smaller foe)
    SQ combat trained, tricks (aid, attack (any creature type), come, defend, down, guard, heel, intimidate, speak, stay, watch)
    Gear training (Cornugon Smash) amulet of mighty fists, mwk parade barding, qadiran saddle, training harness.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics and Tactics
    Show
    As is typical for mounted builds in general and more optimized ones in particular, the combat mechanics of Krung and Makra are unfortunately rather complex even at this relatively low level. To make them less of a headache in combat, I'll try to give you a brief summary of their combat strengths and weaknesses and a detailed description of how their preferred actions and related mechanics actually play out in a scenario I believe to be highly likely in your game.

Combat Strengths and Weaknesses
    As Krung and Makra is a CR 6 foe according to RAW, the following is in comparison to the typical abilities and average numbers of most CR 6 NPCs and monsters published by Paizo, especially in relation to this build's "melee control tank/defender" primary combat role/function.

STRENGTHS
    • Initiative is about equal to CR 8.
    • AC total (AC, touch, flat-footed) is about equal to CR 8, and no individual value below CR 6.
    • HP Total is about equal to CR 8.
    • Reflex is on average above CR 8.
    • Melee Accuracy (including trip CMB) is about equal to CR 8.
      Demoralization Intimidate skills are high enough to be near auto-successes.
    • DPR vs a single target as well as vs multiple targets during a typical round.
    • AoOs both in terms of the likely number of triggers/round and the max number of AoOs/round.
    • Active Melee Defense Opportune Parry and Riposte with extremely accurate AoOs and Combat Reflexes. 'Nuff said.
    • Action Economy two creatures can take up to twice as many actions as one, more with synergizing co-op abilities.

WEAKNESSES
    • Individual HP i.e. durability vs focused fire damage, is below CR 5.
    • Makra's Will is awful vs all effects except enchantments, below CR 1(!).
    • Damage per Hit is low, extremely so when it comes to Krung's attacks.
    • Ranged Offense is non-existent, only compensated for with relatively high speed - but flightless - charging.
    • Versatility especially lacking own means to effectively counter many common magic abilities (flight, invisibility, etc).
      Mounted Dependence notably weaker if Krung isn't mounted.

SUMMARY
    CAUTION! As can be seen above, despite being based on the mediocre cavalier class and the weak Fell Rider archetype, Krung and Makra is a high-op combat build, especially in the "melee control tank/defender" primary combat role/function which exceedingly few published foes are designed for. Most key numbers are about equal to the averages of CR 8 NPCs and monsters published by Paizo, while especially the important action economy is likely stronger than that of any published CR 8 foe.

I recommend you consider this carefully in relation to what you believe the party can handle, before making allies with highly synergizing abilities or playing the build as effectively as possible. In addition, if you give xp based on CR, I'd suggest you treat Krung and Makra as presented above as CR 8 rather than 6.

Combat

OPENING TURN
    1. Move by Krung Tactician: Krung shares Paired Opportunists for 5 rounds with all allies in 30 ft. who can see and hear him (including Makra). EDIT: ERROR! I forgot that Tactician is actually a standard action at this level.

Thankfully it doesn't really change anything except the AoO accuracy below, since Krung and Makra otherwise rarely have a need for Paired Opportunists themselves (thanks to Greater Trip). But I'll fix this as soon as I get a bit more time to spare tonight. /EDIT

2. Swift by Krung Challenge: Krung challenges a foe he can see and which Makra can get within her reach as a move action (and preferably also charge), prioritizing any obvious servant of another deity first, and any obvious ranged combatant second. Krung gains +2 to damage rolls vs the challenged foe and takes a -2 penalty to AC vs the attacks of other foes.

3. Free by Krung Krung orders Makra to charge the challenged foe if possible, and if not to move and attack the challenged foe. Regardless of whether Makra moves as part of a charge or a move action, Krung also directs her movement to end 10 ft. from as many other foes as possible (auto-success; Ride +16 vs DC 15 or less).

4. Full-round or Move by Makra Charge or Move: Makra moves up to her speed as directed; preferably as part of a charge action, otherwise as a move action.

5. Standard by Krung Trip: As soon as Makra has moved to within 10 ft. of the challenged foe, Krung makes an attempt to trip the foe; CMB +20 vs foe's CMD (+19 vs Large foe).

6. AoO by Krung If the trip succeeds, Krung makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +22 attack (+21 vs Large or larger foe), 1d3+8 damage on a hit.

7. AoO by Makra Greater Trip: Makra also makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +12 attack, 1d8+13 damage on a hit.

8. Free by Makra Cornugon Smash: Makra makes a free action Intimidate check to demoralize the foe if her attack hits; Intimidate +19 (+15 vs Large foe) vs DC (10 + foe's level + foe's Wis mod), and the foe is shaken on success (-2 to all d20 rolls) for 1 round, +1 round for every 5 Makra's check result exceeded the DC.

9. Swift by Makra Hurtful: If Makra's Intimidate check succeeds, she makes an attack against the shaken and prone foe; +12 attack, 1d8+13 damage on a hit
    10. Free by Makra Cornugon Smash: As per #7 above, except a success instead increases the duration of the shaken condition.

11. None or Standard by Makra Attack: When Makra is within 10 ft of the foe, she attacks, either A) as part of her charge action, or B) as a normal attack action:
    11.A As part of charge: bite w. Power Attack; +10 attack if the foe isn't prone, +14 attack if it is. 1d8+13 damage on a hit, and if the foe isn't already prone:
    11.a Free by Makra Sudden Charge: Makra makes a trip attempt against the foe she charged; CMB +13 vs foe's CMD.
    11.B As an attack action: bite w. Power Attack; +8 attack if the foe isn't prone, +12 attack if it is. 1d8+13 damage on a hit.

12. Free by Makra Cornugon Smash: As per #7 above, except if the foe is already shaken, success instead increases the duration.

13. Potential Swift by Makra Hurtful: If this is Makra's first Intimidate success during the turn, she makes an attack as per #8, except +8 attack if the foe isn't prone.

*Note that if Krung can't take the charge action himself but orders Makra to charge by herself - as may be the case here - Makra's charge is not a "mounted charge". Consequently, only Makra gains charge related bonuses and penalties, while Krung is simply on a moving mount; he can't take the full attack action, and may make a standard action attack only if Makra's charge movement doesn't exceed her speed.

DURING ENEMY TURNS
    14. Foe Provokes AoO the first foe who provokes within 10 ft.
    A. AoO by Krung Trip: Krung makes an attempt to trip the foe; CMB +24 (+23 vs Large or larger foe).
    B. AoO by Krung Greater Trip: If the trip succeeds, Krung makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +22 attack (+21 vs Large foe), 1d3+6 damage on a hit (1d3+8 vs challenged).
    C. AoO by Makra Greater Trip: Makra also makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +12 attack, 1d8+13 damage on a hit.
    D. Free by Makra Cornugon Smash: As per #7 above, except if the foe is already shaken, success instead increases the duration.

15. Foe Makes Melee Attack Against Krung Opportune Parry and Riposte:
    A. AoO by Krung Krung spends 1 panache and an AoO attack +18 (+15 vs Large foe) vs DC (enemy attack result); the triggering attack is negated on success (the AoO has no other effect), and if the attack was made by a seemingly particularly dangerous foe which isn't prone, especially a challenged foe:
    B. Immediate by Krung Trip: Krung makes an attempt to trip the foe; CMB +24 (+23 vs Large or larger foe).
    C. AoO by Krung Greater Trip: If the trip succeeds, Krung makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +22 attack (+21 vs Large foe), 1d3+6 damage on a hit (1d3+8 vs challenged).
    D. AoO by Makra Greater Trip: Makra also makes an AoO vs the tripped foe; +12 attack, 1d8+13 damage on a hit.
    E. Free by Makra Cornugon Smash: As per #7 above, except if the foe is already shaken, success instead increases the duration.

Dammit! RL calling again, I'll have to add Makra's stat block and tactics later. When do you need this?

EDIT: I've finally managed to find the time to add Makra's stats. Combined mechanics and tactics coming up tomorrow, 'cause it's way past my bedtime again... /EDIT

EDIT 2: Combat mechanics and other stuff are up! /EDIT 2
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-02 at 05:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

That looks fantastic, thanks. Certainly more intricate than I could have come up with. I'm already getting a sense of how I'll use him in combat, but if you have any tactical suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

As for Makra, I hear you about RL, and not to worry, this encounter won't be for another session or two. I still don't have the other members of the HK team built yet. I'll be looking forward to Makra whenever you can include the stats.

(But I have to know, what species is Makra?)

(Also, isn't it 4 am where you are?)

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-05-29 at 09:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm already getting a sense of how I'll use him in combat, but if you have any tactical suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

As for Makra, I hear you about RL, and not to worry, this encounter won't be for another session or two. I still don't have the other members of the HK team built yet.
    Great, 'cause I won't be able to finish this until tomorrow evening, unfortunately.

I'll be looking forward to Makra whenever you can include the stats.

(But I have to know, what species is Makra?)
    Well, now her stats are finally up, so you can find out for yourself! But you're unlikely to find her species very surprising, 'cause it's easily the best Large cavalier mount allowed per RAW at this level.

For some very weird reason, an animal companion not found on the cavalier's very short list of mounts - such as the very large majority of the AC's which other AC classes/archetypes (druid, hunter, brawler, barbarian, etc) can ride - can explicitly not be progressed by cavalier levels specifically. Every other class which progresses an AC will do so regardless of whether the AC is also on the class' list of ACs it may grant. For example, a brawler (Wild Child) 1, bloodrager (bloodrider, primalist) 6+ can ride a Large friggin' allosaurus or wartiger with full AC progression (and with full bloodrage), while a same level cavalier can't even use a darn cattle AC gained from a druid dip as their cavalier mount.

(Also, isn't it 4 am where you are?)
    It was, but I was taking a night train back home and used the 2 hour ride to build Krung. So "RL calling again" was the train arriving in Stockholm.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by upho
    Well, now her stats are finally up, so you can find out for yourself! But you're unlikely to find her species very surprising, 'cause it's easily the best Large cavalier mount allowed per RAW at this level.
    Actually I didn’t see that coming. I’m not that familiar with the cavalier, so didn’t even realize the axe beak was an option.

But wow. Thank you, indeed. Imagining the looks on my players’ faces.

So "RL calling again" was the train arriving in Stockholm.
    I have to say, Stockholm is one of the cities that I’d most want to visit again. I was there some years ago, in early November, and there wasn’t much light to be had—plus I was stuck working indoors all week. I’d love to return in brighter and warmer times to explore it more thoroughly.

And while I'm dreaming, visiting Sarek NP sounds lovely too.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-05-30 at 08:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

New stuff is up!

Actually I didn’t see that coming. I’m not that familiar with the cavalier, so didn’t even realize the axe beak was an option.

But wow. Thank you, indeed.
    You're welcome!

Imagining the looks on my players’ faces.
    Those looks should hopefully be very satisfying. Just be careful with this build and don't underestimate its combat power; I'd feel so ashamed if Krung and Makra ended up as the primary cause of a TPK...

I have to say, Stockholm is one of the cities that I’d most want to visit again. I was there some years ago, in early November, and there wasn’t much light to be had—plus I was stuck working indoors all week. I’d love to return in brighter and warmer times to explore it more thoroughly.
    Stockholm really comes alive during the summer, almost as if people have been hibernating...

And while I'm dreaming, visiting Sarek NP sounds lovely too.
    That's quite an experience, especially if you've never been as far north (or south) before.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

New stuff is up!
    This is absolutely fantastic. I appreciate the builds very much, but the tactical analysis and play-by-play suggestions really knock it out of the park. It's especially valuable because I have no prior experience working with the cavalier, so this is just what I needed and then some.

I hear you about the strength of the build, and as it happens the party has two slightly higher-level NPCs with them who can overshadow the party if I'm not careful. This is perfect for keeping them occupied while allowing the rest of the party to deal with other threats.

Speaking of which, I know you've put in a fair amount of time on this, but would you be willing to help with a couple more members of the HK team? Your character-building skills would really help, and your tactical perspective would give me a better sense of how the HK team would function as an integrated unit, which is something I struggle with on my own.

14. - Top - End - #14

This is absolutely fantastic. I appreciate the builds very much, but the tactical analysis and play-by-play suggestions really knock it out of the park. It's especially valuable because I have no prior experience working with the cavalier, so this is just what I needed and then some.
    Glad you appreciate it. Unfortunately I have to confess I made a mistake in the "Opening Turn" sequence, since I forgot that Tactician is a standard action, not a move. I've just made a note in the spoiler for now, but I should be able to fix it tonight.

And yeah, I think the mechanics of more unconventional high-op mounted combat builds tend to be difficult to get a grip on before you've actually seen them in play. Seems that as soon as anyone in PF with so much as a pony starts to suspect there might just be more to it than the taxi service and the "one-hit wonder"-lancing, they're doomed to end up incapable of so much as sneezing without first wrapping long action chains around around their noses...

On the bright side, at least it seems the cavalier comes with a lot less stuff to encourage such messy shenanigans than many other mount/AC classes/archetypes.

I hear you about the strength of the build, and as it happens the party has two slightly higher-level NPCs with them who can overshadow the party if I'm not careful. This is perfect for keeping them occupied while allowing the rest of the party to deal with other threats.
    This is probably a good idea. And I think the "zealot servant of a dark goddess"-flavor also gives Krung a very good reason for focusing his efforts on... uh... "...whipping the self-righteous excrement out the polished tin of Lawful Stupid, 'til it lies properly open and pleading for mercy in its own guts, cursing its pathetic excuse of a god as Makra feasts on its contents"... Or something.

But I suggest you also compare the numbers and especially key mechanics of these two NPCs with those of this build if you haven't already, and of course that you try to adjust tactics or build details if there seems to be a high risk of either side biting the dust too quickly. For example, keep in mind that if neither your pally or your other NPC is Large or wielding a reach weapon, neither may be able to even get within melee reach of Krung an Makra without provoking (and then likely ending up prone and with probably more than half of their hp gone).

Speaking of which, I know you've put in a fair amount of time on this, but would you be willing to help with a couple more members of the HK team? Your character-building skills would really help, and your tactical perspective would give me a better sense of how the HK team would function as an integrated unit, which is something I struggle with on my own.
    Sure, as long as you don't need them before next week (RL is very busy ATM). Did you have anything particular in mind for the magus, cleric and two other NPCs?
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-03 at 07:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately I have to confess I made a mistake in the "Opening Turn" sequence….
    Not to worry, I appreciate your catching it.

For example, keep in mind that if neither your pally or your other NPC is Large or wielding a reach weapon, neither may be able to even get within melee reach of Krung an Makra without provoking (and then likely ending up prone and with probably more than half of their hp gone).
    Good point here. As it happens, the two NPCs will be fighting together, and the other one will be wielding a nodachi, which I’m assuming will help even things up a bit.

Sure, as long as you don't need them before next week (RL is very busy ATM). Did you have anything particular in mind for the magus, cleric and two other NPCs?
    Thanks! Next week would be great, I understand about RL coming down on you.

I have the magus more or less put together, but I’m not sure what to do with the cleric. Ideally I would like him to be able to channel spells through a rapier, and I don’t mind a level or two of unchained rogue mixed in with the cleric, but I have no idea how to bring that about.

16. - Top - End - #16

Good point here. As it happens, the two NPCs will be fighting together, and the other one will be wielding a nodachi, which I’m assuming will help even things up a bit.
    Not without some reach boost (like enlarge person, long arm or aberrant bloodline bloodrager 4), since the nodachi itself doesn't have the reach feature. Which also means its brace feature isn't going to be of any use against a charge by Krung and Makra without a reach boost. And while a reach weapon or a reach boost would allow these NPCs to threaten out to 10 ft. - just as Krung and Makra do - remember that the whip also gives Krung a 15 ft. reach with attacks other than AoOs that he makes during his turn.

I'd look into the possibilities of increasing the reach of at least one of these NPCs to 15 ft., while keeping in mind that if they have to spend more than a swift action on boosting their reach once combat has begun, it may very well not help them against Krung and Makra unless they get to act first.

I have the magus more or less put together, but I’m not sure what to do with the cleric. Ideally I would like him to be able to channel spells through a rapier, and I don’t mind a level or two of unchained rogue mixed in with the cleric, but I have no idea how to bring that about.
    Hmm... Cleric and rogue unfortunately don't mix well AFAIK, and beyond simply using a spellstoring weapon, clerics have no viable means to deliver spells through weapons at this relatively early level. They can however also get Channel Smite to spend channel energy as a swift, adding their channel damage to a weapon hit, but it only adds a rather boring chunk of damage and is IME rarely preferable to Quick Channel to AoE channel normally as a move.

But if you can give me a few basic details about the cleric's deity - like favored weapon(s), alignment, (sub)domains, and anything else important of a more mechanical nature - I might be able to come up with something suitable. Level 4 or 5, I assume? And would for example a warpriest work instead of cleric if it turns out to be more suitable?

Finally, considering the complexity of Krung and Makra, I'm thinking the two remaining villains on Team Evil should have identical combat mechanics to ensure the team stays manageable and fun for you in play. Does that sound like a good idea, or would you prefer also these two to have unique mechanics instead, even if it adds more complexity and details to keep in mind?
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-05 at 10:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... Cleric and rogue unfortunately don't mix well AFAIK, and beyond simply using a spellstoring weapon, clerics have no viable means to deliver spells through weapons at this relatively early level.
    Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case.

What would be ideal is a sort of “divine magus,” essentially a magus chassis that casts divine spells. I’m not sure how feasible that would be, just a thought I’ve always wanted to work on.

But if you can give me a few basic details about the cleric's deity - like favored weapon(s), alignment, (sub)domains, and anything else important of a more mechanical nature - I might be able to come up with something suitable. Level 4 or 5, I assume? And would for example a warpriest work instead of cleric if it turns out to be more suitable?
    First off, thanks again for your willingness to help with this. I’d very much prefer cleric to warpriest, either fifth or sixth level. The aforementioned dark goddess is NE, and one of the cleric’s domains should be Trickery. The other domain can be darkness-, stealth- or void-themed.

I haven’t thought much about her favored weapon, but I was thinking something like a rapier for this cleric, nimble with light armor. I don’t mind mixing something like swashbuckler/cleric, and in fact I’d prefer to tone down the casting in favor of swordplay, in accordance with the character concept.

…I’m thinking the two remaining villains on Team Evil should have identical combat mechanics to ensure the team stays manageable and fun for you in play. Does that sound like a good idea, or would you prefer also these two to have unique mechanics instead, even if it adds more complexity and details to keep in mind?
    I appreciate the thought on this. I have some basic notes on the other two members, so I’ll need to review those before deciding which way to go with them.

18. - Top - End - #18

I've got a rather nasty idea and build outline for the cleric I need to check with you before completing:

Spoiler: Agent of the Void - 5th Level Summary
    Show

Rakshasa-Spawn Tiefling Swashbuckler 1, Cleric (Elder Mythos Cultist) 4
    NE Medium female outsider (native)

Initiative +5 or 6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +7

DEFENSE
    AC 19, touch 14, flat-footed 15 (4 armor, 4 dex, 1 shield)
    Hp 38 (10+4d8 hd, 10 con)
    Fort +6; Ref +7; Will +8
    Defensive Abilities Opportune Parry and Riposte

OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee +1 agile estoc +10 (2d4+5/18-20/x2 piercing)
    Reach 5 ft.

Attacks of Opportunity 5/round, +4 bonus to attack while Krung's tactician is active.
    Chameleon Aspect up to 7 rounds/day, swift to activate: concealment (20% miss chance) from creatures more than 10 ft. away, and total concealment (50% miss chance) from creatures more than 40 ft. away.
    Channel the Void 7/day as standard, or as move by spending 2 uses: all living creatures within 30 ft. take 2d6/2 untyped damage and must make Fort save vs DC 17 or be confused until the end of the cleric's next turn. The cleric can exclude herself and up to 4 other creatures in area.
    Opportune Parry and Riposte Spend 1 panache to roll AoO vs enemy attack, negate attack if result is greater, may make an attack vs foe as immediate.
    Panache 4 in pool, 1 regained on crit confirmation or when reducing enemy to 0 hp or less with piercing weapon.
    Smite Good Once per day as swift: the cleric chooses a good aligned foe she can see and gains +4 attack and +5 damage until she hits that foe.

Prepared Spells CL 4 or 5, concentration +9, Cha-based
    Various buffs.

STATISTICS
    Str 7, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 18 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +4; CMB +2, using estoc +10; CMD 16

Feats Combat Reflexes, Quick Channel, Selective Channel, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (estoc)I
    B Class bonus feat. I Granted by cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder).

Trained Skills Acrobatics +8, Bluff +10, Knowledge (religion) +9, Perception +7, Stealth +14
    Traits Sacred Conduit, Adopted (Kobold Faith) or Magical Knack, Arcane Temper or Reactionary; Drawback Umbral Unmasking (has no shadow)
    Alternate Racial Traits Smite Good (and hobgoblin heritage); Domain Trickery (Ambush); Variant Channeling Madness
    Gear +1 agile estoc, mwk chain shirt (reliquary), mwk buckler, cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder

To combine the trickery and "darkness-, stealth- or void"-themed deity and the preferred "lightly armored nimble divine magus" combat style, I thought the Elder Mythos Cultist archetype, with different fluff and minor tweaks to the related alignment and domain limitations, would make for a decent fit both flavor- and mechanics-wise. Most notably, it makes all Wis-based cleric features Cha-based and adds Cha instead of Wis to Will saves, which in turn makes it viable as a channel-debuff and melee focused cleric with a Dex-based swashbuckler combat style at 5th. Since channel energy can be used as a move with Quick Channel, it leaves room for standard action attacks, making for a sort of low-level cleric version of the magus' Spell Combat.

Unfortunately, Channel Energy is rarely worthwhile and even more rarely tactically interesting, especially if it's to be used offensively by a low level evil cleric. My solution was to give the cleric one of the few potentially mechanically suitable Variant Channeling options with an effect which I thought might fit with the themes of her deity. As you can see in the build summary above, my highly tentative suggestion is the very nasty "save vs confused for 1 round"-effect, which per RAW requires that the cleric worships a deity with "Madness" in their portfolio.

So here are my questions:
    1. Is the general "stealthy debuff move-channeling and Dex melee"-concept close enough to what you had in mind?
    2. Are you fine with the cleric using a re-flavored and slightly tweaked version of the Elder Mythos Cultist archetype?
    3. Do you believe the Variant Channel "save vs confused for 1 round"-effect is too strong and/or a poor fit for this cleric and her deity?
    4. If your answer to all of the above leans towards a "yes", would you like me to brew a more suitable Variant Channel effect instead?
    5. Are the stealth related abilities of this cleric up to scratch (the Chameleon Aspect domain power is basically a poor Hide in Plain Sight limited by rounds/day and distances above 40 ft.)?

Also, I made this cleric as a tiefling, imagining her to be born of hobgoblin parents. Would you like all members of Team Evil to be only hobgoblins, can they also be of hobgoblin heritage (aasimar, skinwalker or tiefling), of any suitable PC race, or even have monster hd?

What would be ideal is a sort of “divine magus,” essentially a magus chassis that casts divine spells. /snip/ I’d very much prefer cleric to warpriest, either fifth or sixth level. /snip/ I don’t mind mixing something like swashbuckler/cleric, and in fact I’d prefer to tone down the casting in favor of swordplay, in accordance with the character concept.
    FWIW, I don't think any class fits with what you're saying here as well as the warpriest does. The swift-buff casting on a mid-BAB prepared 6/9 chassis makes it the closest equivalent to a "divine magus" in the game IMO, and it can certainly do swordplay better than a cleric.

I haven’t thought much about her favored weapon, but I was thinking something like a rapier for this cleric, nimble with light armor.
    I went for the similarly one-handed, crit-friendly, piercing and Finesse-able but more brutal estoc instead, mostly for flavor reasons, but also because her melee damage is pretty low (and because the 1.5k ioun stone makes an exotic weapon viable for her). Let me know if you'd like her to wield a rapier instead.

I appreciate the thought on this. I have some basic notes on the other two members, so I’ll need to review those before deciding which way to go with them.
    Cool. And thankfully, with a bit of prep I think this kind of cleric could be made decidedly less fiddly to run in combat than Krung and Makra, despite also having spells. Once the builds are finished, I'll try to put together some "default" team tactics and action sequences with notes on the related impact on numbers, hopefully making them easier to run in combat.
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-07 at 07:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

To combine the trickery and "darkness-, stealth- or void"-themed deity and the preferred "lightly armored nimble divine magus" combat style, I thought the Elder Mythos Cultist archetype, with different fluff and minor tweaks to the related alignment and domain limitations, would make for a decent fit both flavor- and mechanics-wise.
    Now that is cool, exceedingly so.

Especially because you’ve jumped right to the heart of my game, which is heavy on the Lovecraftian elements. This isn’t quite what I had in mind for this particular character, but it’s perfect for the theme of the game overall.

So, I’m a little torn. I love the combination of swashbuckler and cleric—if that works together, then that’s a great baseline. But I might want to save the Elder Mythos Cultist for another chapter of the game, since it fits with the broader storyline, and I have an Elder Mythos cult that needs a leader.

With that in mind, let me answer your questions:

1. Oh, yes, very much yes.
    2. Since I’ve already developed his personality and devotion to the dark goddess, let’s save the Elder Mythos archetype for another build.
    3. The save-vs.-confused effect is great, and works very well for both the cleric and his goddess.
    4. I appreciate the offer, but I’m fine with the effect as is, since it’s an excellent fit.
    5. Chameleon Aspect is perfect.

Also, I made this cleric as a tiefling, imagining her to be born of hobgoblin parents. Would you like all members of Team Evil to be only hobgoblins, can they also be of hobgoblin heritage (aasimar, skinwalker or tiefling), of any suitable PC race, or even have monster hd?
    I like the idea of a variety of hobgoblin heritage options, and definitely want to make use of that. For this particular cleric, I’ve been leaning towards dhampir, since he’s already appeared in a prior game session and I described him to the player along those lines.

I went for the similarly one-handed, crit-friendly, piercing and Finesse-able but more brutal estoc instead….
    Very nice. Estoc is perfect here.

As you can see in the build summary above, my highly tentative suggestion is the very nasty "save vs confused for 1 round"-effect, which per RAW requires that the cleric worships a deity with "Madness" in their portfolio.
    So, as I mentioned, I love the effect, but this particular dark goddess doesn’t cover madness per se. Apart from darkness, she is a creature of bitter resentment, isolation and jealousy. I’d like the cleric to have the Trickery domain if at all possible, and the Night subdomain has the interesting Night Hunter granted power, which would fit well with my concept of him.

Also, I could see him as Swash 2 / Clr 4, to bring him to sixth level all told. Not sure what other archetypes might be appropriate here, but I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-06-07 at 08:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

So, I’m a little torn. I love the combination of swashbuckler and cleric—if that works together, then that’s a great baseline. But I might want to save the Elder Mythos Cultist for another chapter of the game, since it fits with the broader storyline, and I have an Elder Mythos cult that needs a leader. /snip/ Since I’ve already developed his personality and devotion to the dark goddess, let’s save the Elder Mythos archetype for another build. /snip/ So, as I mentioned, I love the effect, but this particular dark goddess doesn’t cover madness per se.
    I see. Well, despite my own love of Lovecraftian elements, as mentioned I agree that this cleric's flavor doesn't fit with the archetype's highly specific fluff, and the cleric doesn't match with the fluff-related alignment and doesn't want any of the domains instead of Trickery, so those aspects would have to be tweaked anyways. The sole important mechanic it brings to this build is the Cha-based cleric features and Will saves, as this build doesn't care about the Knowledge skill stuff, or the more widely applicable offensive channeling or its unique flavor. So I definitely I agree you should save the archetype as written and the confusion-channeling for an actual Elder Mythos cult leader (with whom the written flavor and all mechanical elements of both the archetype and the Madness Variant Channeling will likely fit perfectly).

But unfortunately, the archetype is also the only 1PP one (and the only published one I know of) which grants the vital "Cha replacing Wis"-swap. Without that swap, this cleric becomes decidedly more MAD, needing a very high Dex for melee and nearly as high Cha for channeling (and panache), a good Con and Wis for durability, saves and casting, and at least a decent Int to afford any skills at all besides Stealth and the 5 ranks in Know (religion) required for Quick Channel. Which isn't to say that such MAD-ness is necessarily a bad thing, considering this cleric can likely be made into a quite challenging combat opponent for 4th-level PCs anyways, especially with an additional level.

But note also that by simply using the Trickery domain instead of one of the archetype's normal domains (like the build in my previous post) and perhaps swapping the archetype's slightly different channeling back to the "normal" negative energy channeling, it's highly unlikely your players will believe that this cleric and a future Elder Mythos cult leader using the archetype as written will have anything in common beyond "evil divine caster".

I recommend you either let this cleric:
    a) trade their non-Trickery domain and their ability to heal undead with Channel Energy for that swap (or vice versa for Wis-based panache and Channel like the warpriest has) - basically what I suggested in my previous post, but without the archetype's Channel
    - or -
    b) add an additional level, probably of cleric or fighter (see spoiler below for an example of this).

I’d like the cleric to have the Trickery domain if at all possible, and the Night subdomain has the interesting Night Hunter granted power, which would fit well with my concept of him.
    I actually recommend against the Night subdomain, since the replacement spell is for offense and the Night Hunter power is unfortunately highly unlikely to see any use in your game, even if should it be 100% certain the cleric will be encountered in an area of dim light or darkness. The main reason for this is that it uses a standard action for an effect lasting only 2 rounds, while this cleric will have plenty of much stronger competing uses for a standard (such as making a melee attack, Channel Energy or casting a spell). As a comparison, the similarly stealth-focused Chameleon Aspect is a swift action to activate and has a duration of up to 3 + Wis mod rounds, which means it's instead highly likely to see use, notably since the cleric is virtually guaranteed to not have more powerful options competing for the same swift action.

Apart from darkness, she is a creature of bitter resentment, isolation and jealousy.
    Hey... Seems there might just be a very fitting Variant Channeling replacement for "Madness"; namely "Envy":

"Creatures must attempt a steal combat maneuver on their next turn against an adjacent enemy. This is a compulsion effect."

This is a very nasty action-denial effect for a very large majority of creatures. As written, it's especially devastating for any poor sod who happens to start their turn not already adjacent to an enemy...

What do you think?

1. Oh, yes, very much yes.
    2. Since I’ve already developed his personality and devotion to the dark goddess, let’s save the Elder Mythos archetype for another build.
    3. The save-vs.-confused effect is great, and works very well for both the cleric and his goddess.
    4. I appreciate the offer, but I’m fine with the effect as is, since it’s an excellent fit.
    5. Chameleon Aspect is perfect.

I like the idea of a variety of hobgoblin heritage options, and definitely want to make use of that. For this particular cleric, I’ve been leaning towards dhampir, since he’s already appeared in a prior game session and I described him to the player along those lines. /snip/ Very nice. Estoc is perfect here.
    Okay, so in summary:
    1. Preferably "stealthy debuff move-channeling and Dex melee"-concept.
    2. Must not have the Elder Mythos Cultist archetype (or at least not any recognizable unique elements of that archetype).
    3. Must not have the "save vs confused for 1 round"-effect, but one having about the same power and at least as fitting flavor.
    4. Trickery domain with the Ambush (for Chameleon Aspect domain power).
    5. Preferably dhampir.
    6. 5th or 6th level.

Does that seem correct?

Here's a 6th level more support- and AoO-oriented version of this cleric, keeping to the above (and RAW, so no "Cha replacing Wis"-swap):

Spoiler: Servant of Envy and Spite Eternal - 6th Level Summary
    Show

Dhampir Swashbuckler 1, Cleric (Evangelist) 5
    NE Medium male humanoid (dhampir)

Initiative +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

DEFENSE
    AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (5 armor, 4 dex, 2 shield)
    Hp 39 (10+5d8 hd, 6 con)
    Fort +6; Ref +8; Will +7
    Defensive Abilities Opportune Parry and Riposte

OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee +1 agile estoc +10 (2d4+5/18-20/x2 piercing)
    Reach 5 ft. (+5 ft. using swordmaster’s flair, see below)

Attacks of Opportunity 5/round, +4 bonus to attack while Krung's tactician is active.
    Chameleon Aspect up to 5 rounds/day, swift to activate: concealment (20% miss chance) from creatures more than 10 ft. away, and total concealment (50% miss chance) from creatures more than 40 ft. away.
    Channel Envy 6/day as standard, or as move by spending 2 uses: all living creatures within 30 ft. take 2d6/2 negative energy damage and must make Will save vs DC 16 or must attempt a steal combat maneuver against adjacent enemy on their next turn (compulsion effect). The cleric can exclude herself and up to 4 other creatures in area.
    Panache 3 in pool, 1 regained on crit confirmation or when reducing enemy to 0 hp or less with piercing weapon.
    Sermonic Performance 15 rounds/day, standard activate, free maintain. Inspire Courage: allies who can hear gain +2 morale on saves vs charm and fear, and +2 competence on attack and weapon damage rolls.
    Swordmaster’s Flair Once per day, or by spending 1 panache, swift: increase reach with estoc by +5 ft. for 1 minute.

Prepared Spells CL 6th, concentration +9, Wisdom
    Various buffs.

STATISTICS
    Str 7, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +4; CMB +2, using estoc +10; CMD 16

Feats Combat Reflexes, Quick Channel, Selective Channel, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (estoc)I
    B Class bonus feat. I Granted by cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder).

Trained Skills Knowledge (religion) +8, Perception +8, Stealth +13
    Traits Sacred Conduit, Magical Knack, Reactionary; Drawback Umbral Unmasking (has no shadow)
    Alternate Racial Traits ?; Domain Trickery (Ambush); Variant Channeling Envy
    Gear +1 agile estoc, cloak of resistance +1, +1 chain shirt (reliquary), swordmaster’s flair (blue scarf), +1 buckler, cracked dusty rose prism,cracked opalescent white pyramid in wayfinder

What do you think?
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-08 at 04:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry I’m late in responding to this, and thanks again for devoting the time to it.

I actually recommend against the Night subdomain…. The main reason for this is that it uses a standard action for an effect lasting only 2 rounds….
    Thanks for pointing that out, the two-round limit does seem pretty suboptimal. Chameleon Aspect does look a great deal better.

Hey... Seems there might just be a very fitting Variant Channeling replacement for "Madness"; namely "Envy":

"Creatures must attempt a steal combat maneuver on their next turn against an adjacent enemy. This is a compulsion effect."

This is a very nasty action-denial effect for a very large majority of creatures. As written, it's especially devastating for any poor sod who happens to start their turn not already adjacent to an enemy...
    Thanks, I did see this one, and Envy does fit her theme very well.

How does it affect someone who isn’t adjacent to an enemy? Does this require them to spend a move action to move towards an enemy?

Okay, so in summary:

3. Must not have the "save vs confused for 1 round"-effect, but one having about the same power and at least as fitting flavor.
    We may have crossed wires on this one. I actually really like the save-vs-confused effect, and I’d be willing to include it if it doesn’t conflict with anything else. If it’s a choice between save-vs.-confused and the forced-steal maneuver, I’ll need to think on it.

Here's a 6th level more support- and AoO-oriented version of this cleric, keeping to the above (and RAW, so no "Cha replacing Wis"-swap)….

What do you think?
    Overall I really like this. Swordmaster’s Flair in particular is a nice feature, and this build looks like a good blend of casting and bladework.

The one element I’m not sure about is the Evangelist archetype. I’ll need to think on how it would affect his role in the HK team and in the goddess’ following in general. I like the idea of his gaining inspire courage, but I’m not sure about the changes to spontaneous casting. Need to consider this.

But overall I definitely like it—the build does a good job of representing what I’d been thinking. Much appreciated once again.

22. - Top - End - #22

Here's the final two (or rather four) members of Team Evil, both 4th level. First an annoying ranged disarm specialist riding a super-fast dragonfly:

Spoiler: Boda Bugknight and Booyahg - 4th Level Summary
    Show

Boda Bugknight
    Goblin Fighter (Archer) 3, Hunter (Verminous Hunter) 1
    NE Small female humanoid (goblinoid)

Initiative +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10

DEFENSE
    AC 20, touch 16, flat-footed 15 (4 armor, 5 dex, 1 size)
    Hp 32 (10+2d10+1d8 hd, 6 con)
    Fort +7; Ref +8; Will +5

OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee mwk steel terbutje +3 (1d6-1/19-20/x2 slashing)
    Ranged mwk shortbow +9/+9 (1d4/x3 piercing), or +8/+8 (1d4-1/x3 piercing) vs target beyond 30 ft.
    Reach 5 ft.

Vermin Focus Swift 1/day; gain vermin focus for 1 minute (wasp +4 competence to Perception active).
    Trick Shot Ranged disarm replaces ranged attack vs target within 30 ft.; disarm CMB +9 (with Rapid Shot).

STATISTICS
    Str 8, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 5 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +2, ranged disarm +11, ranged sunder +7; CMD 16, 18 vs disarm

Feats Boon Companion, Dirty Fighting, Improved DisarmI, Point-Blank ShotB, Rapid ShotB

Trained Skills Handle Animal +10, Perception +10, Ride +17, Stealth +20

Traits Heirloom Weapon (+2 disarm), Indomitable Faith, Reactionary; Drawback Bitter (-1 hp from ally healing)
    Gear mwk shortbow, training (Improved Disarm) amulet of mighty fists, mwk steel terbutje, mwk chain shirt, cracked dusty rose prism in wayfinder

Booyahg
    Dragonfly Animal Companion (Racer) 4
    N Medium vermin

Initiative +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5

DEFENSE
    AC 20, touch 13, flat-footed 17 (7 natural, 3 dex)
    Hp 26 (4d8 hd, 8 con)
    Fort +7; Ref +8; Will +5

OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft., fly 90 ft.
    Melee bite +9 (2d6+9 bludgeoning, slashing and piercing)
    Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Flyby Attack, Vermin Focus (ant +4 enhancement to Str active)

STATISTICS
    Str 22, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 10 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +9; CMD 22, 30 vs trip (immune while flying)

Feats Favored Animal Focus, Flyby AttackB, Iron Will

Trained Skills Acrobatics +7, Fly +15, Perception +5, Stealth +7

SQ combat trained, tricks (attack (any creature type), come, defend, down, guard, heel)
    Gear cloak of resistance +1, qadiran saddle, training harness

Second is a demon-spawn tiefling bloodrager tank who hits like a truck:

Spoiler: Burkesh "the Butcher" - 4th Level Summary
    Show

Demon-Spawn Tiefling Bloodrager (Arcane Bloodline, Steelblood) 4
    CE Medium humanoid outsider (goblinoid, native)

Initiative +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +12

DEFENSE
    AC 19, touch 9, flat-footed 18; +1 vs charge attacks (10 armor, 1 dex, -2 rage)
    Hp 47 (39) (10+3d10 hd, 16 con, 4 favored class)
    Fort +9 (+7); Ref +4; Will +6 (+4); +1 vs trample
    Defensive Abilities blur (20% miss chance) while raging, Protector Familiar (+2 AC vs 4 attacks/round)

OFFENSE
    Speed 25 ft.
    Melee mwk butchering axe +9 (3d6+13 slashing), or +11 (3d6+7) w/o Power Attack (or 4d6+15 if Large)
    Attacks of Opportunity 3/round, +4 bonus to attack while Krung's tactician is active.

Spells Known CL 4, Concentration +7, Charisma
    1st 2/day: cheetah’s sprint, enlarge person

STATISTICS
    Str 20 (16), Dex 14, Con 18 (14), Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +4; CMB +10, using butchering axe +12; CMD 18, 19 vs overrun

Feats AlertnessB, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon FocusI

Trained Skills Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Perception +12, Spellcraft +4

Traits Indomitable Faith, Reactionary; Alternate Racial Traits Pass for Hobgoblin, Underworld Guide
    Gear mwk butchering axe, +1 full plate, cloak of resistance +1, cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder

VERSH Familiar (Protector)
    Compsognathus Bloodline Familiar
    N Tiny magical beast

Init +6; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +7

DEFENSE
    AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, +2 size)
    hp 19 (39/2)
    Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +1; Improved Evasion

OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft., swim 20 ft.
    Melee bite +6 (1d3–1 plus poison: Fort DC 14 1/round for 4 rounds, 1d2 Str damage, cure 1 save)
    Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Attacks of Opportunity 3/round, +4 bonus to attack while Krung's tactician is active, used to make Aid Another via Bodyguard.

STATISTICS
    Str 8, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 5
    Base Atk +4; CMB +6; CMD 12
    Feats Bodyguard, Combat ReflexesI, Improved Initiative
    Skills Intimidate +4, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Perception +7, Spellcraft +1, Swim +10

Once you've decided on any changes, I can help you out with the preferred team tactics and action sequences for the entire team.

EDIT: Fixed mentioned errors. /EDIT
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-18 at 01:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks greatly for both of these. Once again I’m impressed at your ability to come up with builds that I never could have imagined.

The dragonfly-riding goblin is just brilliant, and I do want to use this build. But I think it may be a little too challenging for the party at their current level, since none of them have access to flight. There are several characters with ranged weapons, but they may not be able to deal effectively with something flying that fast, considering what else will be going on. That said, I really like this build, and I’m thinking of using several of these “bugknights” as an encounter in their own right for a later chapter of the campaign.

As for the bloodrager, what can I say? He’s unique, there’s none like him— He’s undefeated— He’s the reigning, he’s the defending, the incredible—Burkesh! The flavor is perfect, and a tiefling in full plate with a butchering axe is enough to give the dark goddess some celestial goosebumps.

My one concern with Burkesh is that he could easily one-shot any member of the party, since he’s dealing 18-33 points per hit, and if he gets one AoO per round he could TPK the party on his own. I know he’s been very well-built to be a heavy hitter, but is there any way we could scale back his damage a little? And/or does he have any specific weaknesses that the party could use against him, just to help even the odds a little?

Edit: As it happens, I've thought of a perfect way for Burkesh to do his thing without endangering the entire party, so that's less of a concern. But if he has any particular weaknesses that could be exploited, I'd be glad to hear the details.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-06-16 at 09:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

The dragonfly-riding goblin is just brilliant, and I do want to use this build. But I think it may be a little too challenging for the party at their current level, since none of them have access to flight. There are several characters with ranged weapons, but they may not be able to deal effectively with something flying that fast, considering what else will be going on. That said, I really like this build, and I’m thinking of using several of these “bugknights” as an encounter in their own right for a later chapter of the campaign.
    I think you may be right; the combo of ranged disarm + hard-hitting fast fly-by is pretty nasty for ranged weapon-wielders. And having several "bugknights" in a separate later encounter sounds like a great idea. Just keep in mind that such an encounter will probably be very annoying (like bugs tend to be IRL), enough so to make your players hate you even if they handle it without any major setbacks...

In this encounter, I actually suggest you that you simply remove this bugknight, or possibly replace the gobbo with a melee version (which simply deals a bit of damage) for a far less annoying/difficult enemy. Let me know if you'd like me to make a build of this or if you'd prefer something different.

As for the bloodrager, what can I say? He’s unique, there’s none like him— He’s undefeated— He’s the reigning, he’s the defending, the incredible—Burkesh! The flavor is perfect, and a tiefling in full plate with a butchering axe is enough to give the dark goddess some celestial goosebumps.

My one concern with Burkesh is that he could easily one-shot any member of the party, since he’s dealing 18-33 points per hit, and if he gets one AoO per round he could TPK the party on his own. I know he’s been very well-built to be a heavy hitter, but is there any way we could scale back his damage a little? And/or does he have any specific weaknesses that the party could use against him, just to help even the odds a little?

Edit: As it happens, I've thought of a perfect way for Burkesh to do his thing without endangering the entire party, so that's less of a concern. But if he has any particular weaknesses that could be exploited, I'd be glad to hear the details.
    I was a bit hesitant about Burkesh being capable of delivering such great amounts of hurt with each swing of his axe. However, his primary strengths and fighting style should be immediately obvious to the PCs as soon as they see him and his terrifying axe, and his two main weaknesses shouldn't be difficult to guess:
    1. lack of ranged offense (and reach before he can cast enlarge person, which has a 1 round casting time)
    2. poor Ref (the full plate should be a clear sign that he's probably not very nimble)

The first is by itself a bit difficult to exploit reliably unless a PC has reach and some means to keep him from attacking (or casting enlarge person) before he can be taken out (trip, disarm, etc), but his weak Ref makes him highly susceptible to several SoL/S spells (such as web, grease (cast on his axe), create pit, etc).

My idea to tune down the deadliness was to have Burkesh so full of himself (being undefeated and all, like you said) he sees no need to rush into combat, instead spending the first round roaring in his best impersonation of a balor and casting enlarge person, basking in the attention and terrified looks this hopefully draws before he charges the seemingly toughest enemy he can find which isn't already claimed by Krung (casting cheetah’s sprint first if needed). Unless Team Evil are able to time when combat is initiated, this should give the PCs plenty of time to assess the threat he poses - understanding that they must do everything in their power to avoid getting hit by that enormous butchering axe - and to take appropriate action, perhaps also disrupting Burkesh's casting. (Btw, I also noticed I forgot to fix Burkesh's size and a few numbers when I decided to not include the enlarge person effects, but now everything should be correct, with non-rage stats in parenthesis.)

But Burkesh's fighting style can of course also be made less lethal while still having an appropriately brutal and scary flavor. For example, he could have the less tank-y and more brutal abyssal bloodline and no Power Attack, giving him claws and free enlarge person or a rage power while raging, instead of a familiar and the arcane bloodline's free blur. This would on the one hand make his full attacks devastating and give him 10' reach or a rage power, but on the other hand make his AoOs, standard and charge attacks far less likely to one-shot a PC. Likewise, he could trade his Combat Reflexes for something with less build and team synergy, like Improved Dirty Trick.

Or he could be a scary pugilist instead, dealing nonlethal with unarmed strikes and making targets shaken with Enforcer, ensuring his enemies are kept alive to "entertain" him to celebrate his victory! Hmm... That actually seems like a really good idea, as it makes him a lot less likely to cause PC deaths while still keeping him very much a "scary hard-hitting tank", albeit with a bit better saves but lower AC.

What was your idea to deal with Burkesh's deadliness? If it turns out to be less perfect than you initially thought, you could have his less lethal "Abyssal Boxer" brother replace him (values in parenthesis without rage):

Spoiler: Borkesh "the Abyssal Boxer" - 4th Level Summary
    Show

Demon-Spawn Tiefling Bloodrager (Abyssal Bloodline, Bloody-Knuckled Rowdy) 4
    CE Large outsider (native)

Initiative +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +12

DEFENSE
    AC 16 (20), touch 9 (13), flat-footed 15 (18) (7 armor, 1 dex, 1 deflection, -2 rage, -1 size)
    Hp 47 (39) (10+3d10 hd, 16 con, 4 favored class)
    Fort +9 (+7); Ref +3 (+4); Will +6 (+4); +2 vs sleep, paralysis and stunning effects
    Defensive Abilities Protector Familiar (+2 AC vs 4 attacks/round)

OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft.; 30 ft. and ignores difficult terrain when making charge, run or withdraw, can charge through allies' spaces
    Melee unarmed strikes +9/+9 (1d8+7 nonlethal and free demoralize attempt, 1st unarmed strike each round deals +3 damage)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Attacks of Opportunity 1/round, +4 bonus to attack while Krung's tactician is active.

Spells Known CL 4, Concentration +7, Charisma
    1st 2/day: cheetah’s sprint

STATISTICS
    Str 22 (16), Dex 13 (15), Con 18 (14), Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16 (20 point-buy)
    Base Atk +4; CMB +11, using unarmed strike +13; CMD 21

Feats AlertnessB, Dragon StyleB, Enforcer, Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon FocusI

Trained Skills Acrobatics +8, Intimidate +10 (+14 vs smaller foe), Perception +12, Spellcraft +3

Traits Indomitable Faith, Reactionary; Alternate Racial Traits Fiendish Sprinter, Underworld Guide
    Gear mwk handwraps, +1 breastplate, ring of protection +1, cloak of resistance +1, cracked opalescent white pyramid ioun stone in wayfinder

Compsognathus familiar as per Burkesh.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

In this encounter, I actually suggest you that you simply remove this bugknight, or possibly replace the gobbo with a melee version (which simply deals a bit of damage) for a far less annoying/difficult enemy. Let me know if you'd like me to make a build of this or if you'd prefer something different.
    For the ranged role, I think I’d prefer something different—maybe ranger, hunter or some combination. This will be the wilderness guide for Team Evil, so a dark woodsy vibe would be appropriate.

I was a bit hesitant about Burkesh being capable of delivering such great amounts of hurt with each swing of his axe…. What was your idea to deal with Burkesh's deadliness?
    Team Evil will have several captives in tow, who they think are beaten into submission, but who will be working to free themselves and join the fight. They’ll go after Burkesh, which will both keep him busy and allow the PCs to see just how deadly he can be.

My idea to tune down the deadliness was to have Burkesh so full of himself (being undefeated and all, like you said) he sees no need to rush into combat, instead spending the first round roaring in his best impersonation of a balor and casting enlarge person, basking in the attention and terrified looks this hopefully draws before he charges the seemingly toughest enemy he can find which isn't already claimed by Krung (casting cheetah’s sprint first if needed). Unless Team Evil are able to time when combat is initiated, this should give the PCs plenty of time to assess the threat he poses - understanding that they must do everything in their power to avoid getting hit by that enormous butchering axe - and to take appropriate action, perhaps also disrupting Burkesh's casting.
    This is great, and I think this will be exactly what he does when combat begins.

But Burkesh's fighting style can of course also be made less lethal while still having an appropriately brutal and scary flavor. For example, he could have the less tank-y and more brutal abyssal bloodline and no Power Attack, giving him claws and free enlarge person or a rage power while raging, instead of a familiar and the arcane bloodline's free blur. This would on the one hand make his full attacks devastating and give him 10' reach or a rage power, but on the other hand make his AoOs, standard and charge attacks far less likely to one-shot a PC. Likewise, he could trade his Combat Reflexes for something with less build and team synergy, like Improved Dirty Trick.
    This is worth thinking on. The familiar does seem a little…overshadowed, compared to Burkesh himself.

Borkesh "the Abyssal Boxer”
    Now I feel like I need a planar tavern somewhere, just so this guy can be the bouncer.

26. - Top - End - #26

For the ranged role, I think I’d prefer something different—maybe ranger, hunter or some combination. This will be the wilderness guide for Team Evil, so a dark woodsy vibe would be appropriate.
    Sorry for the delay. Here's a different, less dangerous ranged hunter "wilderness guide" of Team Evil with another exotic and kinda scary AC, hopefully appropriately "dark woodsy":

Spoiler: Fretchka "Frog-Tamer" and Fromk - 4th Level Summary
    Show

Boda Bugknight
    Goblin Fighter (Archer) 3, Hunter (Verminous Hunter) 1
    E Small female humanoid (goblinoid)

Initiative +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +10

DEFENSE
    AC 20, touch 16, flat-footed 15 (4 armor, 4 dex)
    Hp 30 (8+3d8 hd, 8 con)
    Fort +7; Ref +10; Will +5

OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee mwk steel terbutje +5 (1d8+2/19-20/x2 slashing)
    Ranged mwk composite longbow (+2) +10/+10 (1d8+3/x3 piercing), or +9/+9 (1d8+2/x3) vs target beyond 30 ft.

Animal Focus Swift, up to 4 minutes and uses/day; gain animal focus for 1 minute (tiger +2 enhancement to Dex active).

Spells Known CL 4, Concentration +7, Wisdom
    2nd 2/day:
    1st 4/day: magic fang (active on Fromk)

STATISTICS
    Str 14, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 8 (20-point buy)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +5; CMD 20

Feats Outflank, Precise ShotB, Point-Blank Shot, Rapid ShotI, Stealth SynergyB

Trained Skills Handle Animal +11, Perception +10, Stealth +16 (note Stealth Synergy), Survival +10

Traits Indomitable Faith, Reactionary
    Gear mwk composite longbow (+2), training (Rapid Shot) amulet of mighty fists, mwk steel terbutje, mwk chain shirt, cloak of resistance +1

Fromk
    Giant Frog Animal Companion (Ambusher) 4
    N Medium animal

Initiative +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4

DEFENSE
    AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (3 armor, 3 natural, 3 dex)
    Hp 30 (4d8 hd, 12 con)
    Fort +8; Ref +8; Will +4
    Defensive Abilities uncanny dodge

OFFENSE
    Speed 20 ft., fly 90 ft.
    Melee bite +9 (1d6+10 bludgeoning, slashing and piercing plus grab) or tongue +9 touch (grab)
    Reach 5 ft., tongue 15 ft.
    Special Attacks animal focus (bull +4 enhancement to Str active), swallow whole (1d6 bludgeoning damage, AC 11, 3 hp), tongue (doesn't gain grappled condition while grappling with tongue)

STATISTICS
    Str 20, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Base Atk +3; CMB +8, grapple +15, other maneuver using bite +9; CMD 21, 23 vs grapple, 25 vs trip

Feats Improved Grapple, Iron Will, Stealth SynergyB

Trained Skills Perception +4, Stealth +13 (note Stealth Synergy)

SQ tricks (attack (any creature type), come, defend, down, guard)
    Gear mwk studder leather barding, cloak of resistance +1, training harness

Let me know if this seems to be going in the right direction, and I'll add the missing spells.

This is worth thinking on. The familiar does seem a little…overshadowed, compared to Burkesh himself.
    Familiars usually are, even "protectors". Note that it doesn't even need to threaten the foe to use its Bodyguard feat, so it doesn't need to run around the battlefield, but can stay safely with Burkesh.

Now I feel like I need a planar tavern somewhere, just so this guy can be the bouncer.

Heh, now that's a great idea, he'd be perfect for the job!