New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Can we talk about ability scores?

The whole 3-18 check a chart thing kills me every time I have to teach D&D to nee players.

Next Gen, can we just have a range of scores from -5 to +5?

Starting characters start at 0, and can spend 4 points having up to a +2 in any given stat to start. They can lower a stat by 1, to bump a stat up by one , capping at +2 at level 1.

Races no longer have stat modifiers. Their stupid anyways. We can have smart orcs and cross fit halflings if we want.
    The exception being humans that get a +1 or a feat.
    Or we make them better. Can fix that later.

Instead, all classes give a +1 in their most relevant stat to begin. Since that is literately what 90% of experienced players do anyways by maximizing race combos anyways. And it ensures new players won’t stink at their chosen roll. Some classes like fighters or monks you choose between Dex or Str, etc....

The high concept is to drop some unnecessary math, and provide a more diverse range of character options that are new player friendly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Can we talk about ability scores?

We would have to figure out a new way to roll stats, since most people like rolling stats according to the internet. The only other issue I have is that odd scores getting +1 from split ASI or half feats gives builders extra flexability compared to a simple your number is the number system.

Also, it really doesn't take too long to get used to the idea that 10 is no bonus, and every 2 over that is +1. Maybe it's a little confusing at first, but it's not rocket science.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    We would have to figure out a new way to roll stats, since most people like rolling stats according to the internet. The only other issue I have is that odd scores getting +1 from split ASI or half feats gives builders extra flexability compared to a simple your number is the number system.

Also, it really doesn't take too long to get used to the idea that 10 is no bonus, and every 2 over that is +1. Maybe it's a little confusing at first, but it's not rocket science.
    Roll a d10, 1 being -5, 10 being 5. :)
    Or a d6 if not wanting possibility of 5 from start, 1 being -2 and 6 being 3. :)
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2020-05-31 at 09:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

No. Point Buy is an optional rule. It's a necessary evil because of official play.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ImproperJustice View Post
    The whole 3-18 check a chart thing kills me every time I have to teach D&D to nee players.

Starting characters start at 0, and can spend 4 points having up to a +2 in any given stat to start. They can lower a stat by 1, to bump a stat up by one , capping at +2 at level 1.

Races no longer have stat modifiers. Their stupid anyways. We can have smart orcs and cross fit halflings if we want.

Instead, all classes give a +1 in their most relevant stat to begin. Since that is literately what 90% of experienced players do anyways by maximizing race combos anyways. And it ensures new players won’t stink at their chosen roll. Some classes like fighters or monks you choose between Dex or Str, etc....

The high concept is to drop some unnecessary math, and provide a more diverse range of character options that are new player friendly.
    Races should still have modifiers in my humble opinion, should just be an alternate rule that could remove that and do it the way you said for example. Think most ppl have a hard time seeing a 20 kilogram Level 1 halfling being as strong as a level 1 half orc clocking in at 102 kilogram. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Or a d6 if not wanting possibility of 5 from start, 1 being -2 and 6 being 3. :)
    Two d6's. One is '+plus' the other is '-minus'. With the minimum of 1 and and a maximum of 6 this will give you your range of -5 to +5.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

In general this sounds more like a list of your specific opinions than a set of justifiable changes. Granted, some of these changes are probably justifies me, but “I’m sick of it” isn’t the justification required.

In my opinion this is less a problem with the game and more a problem with the people. D&D involves some referencing of material and some arithmetic. If they don’t want to reference a table to make a character, then what makes them want to reference a character sheet or ruleset to figure out which die to roll and which modifier(s) to apply.

There is sense in this, but I’m not necessarily convinced.

I don’t like this idea. Stay modifiers represent statistical shifts away from averages. Ogres are stronger than halflings, on average. Any model that generates scores needs to take that into account.

Instead, all classes give a +1 in their most relevant stat to begin.
    These seems totally arbitrary. Especially since the first suggestion directly contradicts your main point. “No stat bonuses, except the ones I approve of.”

Since that is literately what 90% of experienced players do anyways by maximizing race combos anyways. And it ensures new players won’t stink at their chosen roll. Some classes like fighters or monks you choose between Dex or Str, etc....
    It’s not necessarily the case that the game should change to match what 90% of it’s players already do. If they are already doing it, that’s more of an argument that it doesn’t need to change. The 10% can still do their thing. Also, for some players, choosing races with the wrong ability set to match the class can be part of the challenge and therefore fun. What’s wrong with that option?

The last thing this society needs is less math. Games are a good way to motivate some arithmetic.

I tend to agree with Foxhound438.

Well this is one of the reasons I don’t mind 3d6. The proposed method is more random than intended. Stat generation should be weighted toward the centre, so normally distributed if a dice range, and increasing costs as you increase the stat if point-buy.

As a final point, if your simplifying anyway, 0-10 is simpler than -5 to 5. Why not use 0-10 and then adjust the math to match?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

3-18 is one of those things you won't ever budge because it has the weight of history behind it. The good news is that it's also simple to explain to new players; you have this one set of numbers because that's how the game started and people like tradition, and a simpler derived set of numbers as the game has been streamlined over editions.

If we wanted to play D&D: Slaughter Sacred Cows edition I could think of plenty of other things I'd like to put on the chopping block. We also saw what happened when they tried getting rid of sacred cows before. As such, I don't expect it to reasonably happen. Especially because 5e is quite happy in the middle of massive popularity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    3-18 is one of those things you won't ever budge because it has the weight of history behind it. The good news is that it's also simple to explain to new players; you have this one set of numbers because that's how the game started and people like tradition, and a simpler derived set of numbers as the game has been streamlined over editions.
    It's also wrong. The simpler derived numbers has been there since the beginning too.

It's much easier to explain: because the standard method of generating ability scores is 4d6 take the best 3. That generates a curve. If you don't know what a curve is I can't help you.

(Sarcasm is directed at the hypothetical player. And probably added in my head. Just to be clear.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

This seriously never bothered me in any way, nor found it difficult to explain to new players. So yeah, we can talk about everything, but (next to something that's nice traditionally) this is also something that works well and, at worst, is pretty harmless. Don't fix it if it isn't broken, afaic.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

If you really want to shoot yourself in the foot at character generation, you could keep the 3d6 or 4d6b3 rolls and then refer to a table that is only used during chargen and not during the game, or you can do your -5 to +5 with something like (3d6b2)-7 or whatever.

Or you could acknowledge that ability scores are only very slightly messy and they basically work, and reckon that that's an acceptable work:messy ratio.
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2020-05-31 at 10:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

I would prefer a switch to just having ability modifiers and ditching the ability scores.

I would prefer to keep ability modifiers for race but make all classes MAD. This way all (or almost all) races could still excel in all (or almost all) classes but perhaps in different ways within the class abilities. Every class should have features that use at least 3 different ability scores, and how a particular character prioritizes them should matter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't think that would be a good way to do it, the current (good imo) way gives you a higher chance of stats close to the middle, with extremely high and extremely low stats being extremely rare. It kind of balances that system out, so most often you get like one or two poor stats, one or two good stats, and the rest being decent. I guess if you like rolling stats as a straight D20, that isn't an issue for you, but I have to disagree.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

I dunno can we make ability scores less of a thing? Seems kind of annoying to have to pump scores ever 4 lvls or so just for the sake of keeping up, when we could do fun stuff instead.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    No. Point Buy is an optional rule. It's a necessary evil because of official play.
    Point Buy is an optional rule but Standard Array is core.

That's how we play at my table.
    If you are trying to abuse the game; Don't. And you're probably wrong anyway.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Just subtract 10 and divide by 2, fractions are rounded down.

19? (19-10)/2=4.5=+4
    5? (5-10)/2=-2.5=-3

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Something I use in a homebrew D&D that works not that bad is:

[Standard table] +2/+2/+1/+1/0/0 then racial bonuses

[Rolling abilities] "2d4-4" 8 times, drop the best and worst, and put the other 6 along the 6 abilities, then add racial bonuses.

[Point-buy] 10 points with the following table, followed by racial bonuses:
    -1 => -1pt
    0 => 0pts
    +1 => 1pt
    +2 => 4pts
    +3 => 9pts

(Examples of point-buy being +3/+2/0/-1/-1/-1 and +2/+2/+2/0/-1/-1)

It's not exactly the same as official D&D, but it gives results similar enough.
    Rolling is slightly more random than usual (in average, one every 6 PCs will have a +4 or a -2 before racial bonuses)
    Last edited by MoiMagnus; 2020-05-31 at 11:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    Just subtract 10 and divide by 2, fractions are rounded down.

19? (19-10)/2=4.5=+4
    5? (5-10)/2=-2.5=-3
    Why not:
    • Start at 0
    • Add 1d4
    • Subtract 1d4
    • Final result is Ability Modifier before racial (and perhaps class) modifiers

This gives a range of +3 to -3 before modifiers. Adjust to taste.

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Standard Array is core.
    It's the only method I allow in my games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

So how do you get a 0?

-5 to +5 covers a range of 11 integers, not 10.

Powers &8^]

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    Why not:
    • Start at 0
    • Add 1d4
    • Subtract 1d4
    • Final result is Ability Modifier before racial (and perhaps class) modifiers

This gives a range of +3 to -3 before modifiers. Adjust to taste.
    Sounds awful tbh. The chances of getting multiple negative multipliers is way too high, it's basically a 50% chance if pre-coffee mental math is worth anything.

22. - Top - End - #22

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    Sounds awful tbh. The chances of getting multiple negative multipliers is way too high, it's basically a 50% chance if pre-coffee mental math is worth anything.
    OK, then either change the first step to "Start at +1" or up the second step to "Add 1d6" instead.

Keep in mind that I abhor random character generation (I like to save the randomness for in-game instances, not for generating persistent modifiers), so it's not something I'd use in any case.
    Last edited by HappyDaze; 2020-05-31 at 02:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

I think a faster way to do random stat generation in the spirit of this thread is after everyone has built their PC using the point buy method above, is to do the following:

1. Have everyone sit in a circle with their character sheet in hand (or app).

2. Have each person flip a coin. If it’s heads, write a +1 on their sheet. If it’s tails, write a -1 on their sheet.

3. From this point forward, players apply the randomly generated modified to all in game tasks so they can fully experience the joy of randomly generated stats. Seeing that random number generation at the start of play, now makes some people better than others, purely due to random number generation for the entirety of their future playtime with that character.

4. Be sure to tell the players with negative modifiers that their trials will make them better role players as they “rise above” their difficult beginnings.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

3. From this point forward, players apply the randomly generated modified to all in game tasks so they can fully experience the joy of randomly generated stats. Seeing that random number generation at the start of play, now makes some people better than others, purely due to random number generation for the entirety of their future playtime with that character.

4. Be sure to tell the players with negative modifiers that their trials will make them better role players as they “rise above” their difficult beginnings.
    Don't forget:

5) PCs have to die frequently, so that the weak are winnowed out. Who cares if you roll low? That character just won't live long anyway. Unless you've got really good player skill. In which case you're proven you're a superior player. Or if you don't, better luck on the next character.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Don't forget:

5) PCs have to die frequently, so that the weak are winnowed out. Who cares if you roll low? That character just won't live long anyway. Unless you've got really good player skill. In which case you're proven you're a superior player. Or if you don't, better luck on the next character.
    A very important function of dungeon economies. There needs to be a steady intake of failing adventurers bringing wealth into a dungeon and not leaving in order for treasure hoards to accumulate.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Point Buy is an optional rule but Standard Array is core.

That's how we play at my table.
    Yes. Roll or standard array is core. Point buy is optional. So this modification is fine and dandy for one persons homebrew, but it'll never become core. Even if we put aside that it is a sacred cows, there's a reason for this particular sacred cow.

I used standard array in my open table campaign because pretty much had to. I generally use rolling for a one shot, by which I mean a single adventure of maybe 3-5 sessions.

IMO most players prefer to roll. I have absolutely no proof to back this statement up. But I believe it anyway.

27. - Top - End - #27

NinjaGirl

I'm in favor of removing racial bonuses to stats. Racial bonuses make sense for establishing that a given race is typically better at some things, but PCs are atypical anyway. What really matters is how the PCs stats compare to other PCs. Having high strength isn't any more valuable to an elf barbarian than it is to an orc, why should they have to pay more for it?

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

So I am curious:

What is the mechanical difference in terms of modifiers between standard array and point by?

Standard looks like:
    +2 / +2 / +1 / +1 / 0 / -1

So a base of 5.

So compared to the top of the thread, it the same as the base 4, and then becomes a base 5 once you add a +1 from your chosen class, making it about the same method, only dropping the rather superfluous 3-18 numbers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    I'm in favor of removing racial bonuses to stats. Racial bonuses make sense for establishing that a given race is typically better at some things, but PCs are atypical anyway. What really matters is how the PCs stats compare to other PCs. Having high strength isn't any more valuable to an elf barbarian than it is to an orc, why should they have to pay more for it?
    That just means that people will optimize around different racial traits, like movement speed or orcish Savage Critical. Unless you turn races into pure flavour "skins", you'll still have optimal and suboptimal races.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

From a role playing perspective, I have a problem with balance around standard array, and that’s the fact that almost every class is going to have int as a dump stat.

8 intelligence is how to put it, the r word lvl of cognition, yet everyone plays their character as if they were tactical geniuses instead. Unless Of course you are a half orc, in which case people play him like the hulk.

It’s pretty immersion breaking. Ditto for cha (which is supposed to be leadership, magnetism, and looks).

The mechanical benefits should be decoupled from how you play your character. I mean I’ve always found it weird that the creepy warlock should be the face of the party.