New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default DMing for a Mastermind Rogue

So, I'm starting up an intrigue-centric game soon that will feature a Mastermind rogue as the player in a single-player campaign, starting at level 1 and going to level 20. I'm looking for ideas on ways to highlight her abilities in-game, let her get in over her head, and evolve the narrative.

Has anyone either run or DMed for a Mastermind rogue, and if so, what are some things I should watch out for? Have you put one in a good trap, either socially or physically? Do you have any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DMing for a Mastermind Rogue

a good sidekick would probably be really useful, someone they can use their bonus action help on, bounce ideas off and cover abilities that they themselves have trouble with. A watson to the holmes so to speak.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The tool description section in xanathar's is basically full of mastermind fodder. I recommend that you use factions frequently so that when spy vrs spy situations arise the player can choose which they support.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Give them some one on one NPC interactions, similar to how cold war spies would interact.
    Have folks engage in tit for tat conversations with everyone trying to recruit each other.