New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Please Help: Stats for Construct Monster

Playground,

Please Halp! My group met for Session Zero this evening, and my players have decided they'd rather play 5e than Pathfinder. I've got no problem with this, it just means I have to convert my adventure materials to 5e stats, except this monstrosity:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...SeKcfyfuNqUSyW

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...qjeU7YW5cDlr3j

[Description: a horseless carriage, which has come alive as a horrible mantis/spider/anglerfish ready to devour things]

I'm looking at a Huge animated object, my target is CR 9. I am lost creating monsters for 5e, and our first game is in a week! Please help!
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Please Help: Stats for Construct Monster

Details I'd like to keep for this monster:

* CR 9-ish
    * Construct Traits
    * Free-Willed
    * Multiattack (Claw/Claw/Bite)
    * Poison (Bite)
    * Improved Grab (Bite)
    * Swallow Whole
    * Speed 40-ish
    * Huge size, appropriate damage on natural attacks
    Last edited by sabelo2000; 2020-05-27 at 07:13 PM.
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

i mean you could always homebrew one if you have time.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    i mean you could always homebrew one if you have time.
    My difficulty there is I have no experience homebrewing and balancing monsters for 5e, just Pathfinder.

Outlandish Claim #5:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sabelo2000 View Post
    Details I'd like to keep for this monster:

* CR 9-ish
    * Construct Traits
    * Free-Willed
    * Multiattack (Claw/Claw/Bite)
    * Poison (Bite)
    * Improved Grab (Bite)
    * Swallow Whole
    * Speed 40-ish
    * Huge size, appropriate damage on natural attacks
    Okay, thankfully the DMG is fairly straightforward on how this'd work. A CR 9 creature will:
    • have +4 proficiency bonus
    • have approximately 16 AC
    • have +7 attack bonus
    • Around 200 hit points
    • have Save DC of 16
    • deal 57-62 damage per turn, on average
    • a swallowed creature is assumed to be dealt damage for 2 rounds
    • d12 hit die (as it is huge)

I'll also reference another CR9 Construct - the Clay golem

So lets build a Horseless Mantispider
    1. 200 hit points with a hit die of d12... that's going to look like 16d12+96, with a Con Mod of +6
    2. You want 3 attacks in the multiattack - two claws and a bite. An Average of 60 damage per round, makes it going to look close to 20 damage per attack. In general, bite attacks deal more damage than claws. So lets break it into 17, 17, 26.
    3. With a prof bonus of +4, and an attack mod of +7 the monster will have a +3 to it's damage-based stat. Since we're eating things, I'll put it in strength. 4d6+3 gives us an average of 17, so that's a claw attack.
    4. You said you wanted the bite to also inflict poison damage, so we can split up the damage. 1d12+3 piercing damage is an average of 9, and 3d10 poison damage is an average of 17, together making 26.
    5. We can then note that our reference constructs have 3 normal features - Magic Resistance, Immutable form, and Magic Weapons. While the latter two do not impact the creature's stats, Magic Resistance is an effective AC increase of 2.

Put this all together and you get

Nightmare Fuel
    CR 9 Huge Construct
    HP: 200 (16d12+96)
    AC 14
    Speed 40 ft
    STR 17 (+3)
    DEX 9 (-1)
    CON 22 (+6)
    INT 8
    WIS 8
    CHA 12
    Senses: Darkvision 60 Passive Perception 9
    Skills: Intimidation +5
    Damage Resistance: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons that aren't adamantine
    Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
    Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned

Immutable Form. This creature is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
    Magic Resistance. This creature has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
    Magic Weapons. This creature's weapon attacks are magical.
    Spider Climb. This creature can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Actions
    Multiattack. This creature makes three attacks - two with its claws, one with its bite. If it has a creature grappled, it can replace a bite attack with a Swallow.
    Claw. Melee, +7 to hit, single target within 10 ft. Hit: 17 (4d6+3) slashing damage
    Bite. Melee, +7 to hit, single target within 5 ft. Hit: 9 (1d12 + 3) piercing damage and 17 (3d10) poison damage and is grappled (Escape DC 16). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the creature can't bite another target.
    Swallow. A Medium or smaller target it is grappling must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution Save or become swallowed, and the grapple ends. The swallowed target is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the creature, and it takes 17 (3d6) poison damage at the start of each of the creature's turns. The creature can have only one target swallowed at a time.
    If the creature dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse using 5 feet of movement, exiting prone.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok wow that's awesome, it just seems so weird to me that this edition reverse-engineers monsters from CR backward, no wonder I was having so much trouble . Thank you so much for that!

Outlandish Claim #5:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sabelo2000 View Post
    Ok wow that's awesome, it just seems so weird to me that this edition reverse-engineers monsters from CR backward, no wonder I was having so much trouble . Thank you so much for that!
    Not necessarily. You can base it on anything you want - an ability, a weapon, an amount of damage, a certain number of hit points, or, my favorite, a cool mechanic. Then back into the stats from that point.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vogie got it mostly right, but I think Acid would probably be a better pick for the “swallow” damage, rather than poison. Just thinking that stomach acid doesn’t deal damage by any of the typical “poisons” that we see other creatures use, but rather by digesting the body.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.