Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Torchwood [Freeform Superheroish RP]

System: Freeform
    Player Count: Three-one from each spoiler
    Style of Play: Action! Secrecy! Saving the dinger-dang world!
    Allowed Content: Your imagination
    Character Creation: Just a post here or a google doc or something.

• Backstory: Skirt length, see other notes.
    • Experience: Minimal. You're new to your powers and gear.
    • Wealth: Whatever makes sense with your backstory.
    • Alignment: Heroic

Other Notes: Pick one spoiler to follow the backstory of.

Spoiler: Umbrella-Meds And Zombies
    Show
    You work for Umbrella, a pharmaceutical company. You're a relatively important member, locally, at least. You were told not to come in today, but you had some work that wasn't quite done, and it's time-sensitive... Besides. Things were starting to look a little fishy. You wanted to see WHY they didn't want you coming in.

You probably should've stayed home-there are some things you can't unsee. Or unfeel-a zombie, gnawing at your neck. The grazing shots of some kind of rifle getting it off you.

Later, you woke up in a spartan room, on a comfortable bed built into the wall. There was a table, a chair, a note on the table, but no door.

Spoiler: Hope's Peak-School And Pyschos
    Show
    You attend Hope's Peak, a prestigious academy for the supremely talented in a wide array of areas. Class was canceled Friday, but dammit, you had to ask some questions to the teachers. So, you went in anyway. That's when things went to hell.

First, the fire. Then the gunfire. Then the paratroopers. You don't know precisely when you blacked out, but you did.

Later, you woke up in a spartan room, on a comfortable bed built into the wall. There was a table, a chair, a note on the table, but no door.

Spoiler: The Printing Company-Ink And Death
    Show
    You work for The printing CompanyC, a producer of books, comics, illustrations, and joy for the world. You take pride in your work, knowing that you're making the world a better place. You were told you didn't need to come in today, but you're happy to work a little extra.

But then... Everything went screwy. The pipes burst. The water came alive. You almost died. You thought you were a goner...

Spoiler: The Note (For Everyone To Read)
    Show
    I apologize for this, but we had little choice. You have been brought to an outpost of Torchwood. You haven't heard of us-and that's for the best.

You've seen too much. But there is potential-normally, you would be put back home, with no memory of what had happened. In this case, though...

After you awaken, you will be given some time to get your bearings. A meal will be provided, if you're hungry. And then we shall talk.

Now, your character should include a couple of basic things, like your name, a general physical description, etc.

Beyond that, also pick stuff like superpowers (though keep them reasonable), magitek or tinker tech gear, fighting styles, etc. It should be a natural extension of your existing backstory, but obviously, the big TW is gonna provide the tech and catalyze the powers.

I'm probably not explaining myself well enough, so by all means, ask questions!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-05-31 at 08:39 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Torchwood [Freeform Superheroish RP]

Interested, not sure as what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Could you help me understand the "natural extension of the backstory" part? Should we have gotten the super powers through the event? Or should we have had them before?

Edit I have an idea for number 3, but need to sleep on it. (Basically because it s night time here)
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-05-28 at 06:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Could you help me understand the "natural extension of the backstory" part? Should we have gotten the super powers through the event? Or should we have had them before?

Edit I have an idea for number 3, but need to sleep on it. (Basically because it s night time here)
    You should not already have powers, or at least considerable powers. Minor things are acceptable, but the kind of thing you could keep hidden.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

This looks interesting. Where do we put the superpower on the char sheet?

Do we pick a superpower? Or how does it work?

Just a few questions before beginning work on the char sheet.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    This looks interesting. Where do we put the superpower on the char sheet?

Do we pick a superpower? Or how does it work?

Just a few questions before beginning work on the char sheet.
    Just make clear what your abilities are.

And you are 100% free to pick your powers, just as I am 100% free to veto them. So don't go overboard-Superman's aiming a little high, for instance.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Just make clear what your abilities are.

And you are 100% free to pick your powers, just as I am 100% free to veto them. So don't go overboard-Superman's aiming a little high, for instance.
    I wasnt thinking anything that powerful. Not even close.

So, where do I put the superpower on the form? Or is it one of those cases where it should be PM and kept secret from players?

On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I wasnt thinking anything that powerful. Not even close.

So, where do I put the superpower on the form? Or is it one of those cases where it should be PM and kept secret from players?
    Just make a post here, with your character info in a spoiler. I trust y'all to not peep each other's info.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

@JNAProductions, could you tell me if this goes into the right direction?

Spoiler: Ideas for #3
    Show

Handle/Code Name: Canvas or Needle (not decided yet)

Power: "Ink Bending"
    • absorb: able to absorb any printed / drawn / written / painted text or graphics from paper and similar surfaces through skin, storing as "ink" internally. Only able to hold so much of it, and will start to show signs of poisoning when the threshold is exceeded. (if you played Witcher 3, like when you had too much potions). Color of absorbed "ink" can be changed for print/mask.
    • print: able to transfer absorbed "ink" from skin onto other surfaces; ability to mimick machine fonts, plans, .... Must be able to either see or imagine what to print. (Can't for instance print a perfect blueprint of a house without having seen a plan, or being explained very well by someone else what to print).
    • mask: able to transfer absorbed "ink" to outer dermal layers in the fashion of tattoos, make up or minor glamours (e.g. being able to hide own identity, transfer a message by writing it on their forehead, ...)
    • ink jet: able to fire absorbed ink in small bursts at short distance (e.g. to blind an enemy, disabling a security camera, ...).

I would say that instantaneous "in place" modification is possible but much more difficult and endearing than absorb->transfer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: @Nio
    Show
    First off, super cool.

Second off, you're aiming a little too low. That's a nifty as hell power, and I can envision a lot of interesting things to do with it... But it does not have a lot of OOMPH to it.

Now, if you want the oomph to be provided by gear and your own powers to be more utility, that is 100% fine. But if you want to work on your own abilities, mostly, power it up.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler: @JNAProductions
    Show
    Ah, so glad you like it. You are right, there's not much "oomph" so far, it's a bit like a rogue without sneak attack.

What "level" of super heroes are we playing? Like X-Men? So, not all can fly, but most can fight BBEGs one way or another?

Is there kind of a list of boxes to tick, either with super powers or tech? Like, is individual permaflight something that we should somehow achieve?

12. - Top - End - #12

Flight is not needed. It's cool, but not needed.

And, if you read the first spoiler, or just recognize the name, the CEO of Umbrella is Albert Wesker. For power level, he should be someone who can stomp you on your own, but if you all work together, you can take him.

I realize that's kinda vague, but it's the best I can do. And do note, Torchwood has resources. Gaps can be filled with gear and whatnot.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll throw in for #1 Umbrella.

Spoiler: backstory
    Show

A statistician running medical trials data for the company, who worked his way up the ladder to become a manager of a statistics team. Noticed some abnormalities in the latest data -- meaning either really bad side effects or a programming bug, hopefully the latter -- and came in to doublecheck his employees' work. It, uh, turned out it wasn't a programming bug.

Spoiler: powers
    Show

He's partially turned, retaining his human intelligence while gaining a zombie's tirelessness, resistance to pain, and endurance, plus extra muscle mass and speed; basically the upper limits of a normal human physically, but without the risk of tearing muscles or getting tired. He also regenerates damage; not like Wolverine-speed, but if he gets shot or an arm cut off, it'll heal if he has an hour or so to rest up.
    That's the virus.

He also unlocked some sort of psychic or mental ability, allowing him to run calculations and probability models instantaneously in his head. He absorbs mathematical data about the world around him and can interpret it instantly. In effect, this gives him flawless aim as he can perfectly predict how a weapon will flow, and a perfect sense of where to be to dodge blows. That, combined with his zombie-speed, usually lets him act on this knowledge to get where he needs to be to dodge.
    The probability models also give him an upper-hand in negotiations. After some minimal interaction with someone or observation of them, he can predict how someone will react with 95% accuracy and thus modulate his tone, body language, and words to get the desired effect. It's not perfect, and some people can't be persuaded of certain things, but it helps.

If you read Wildbow's Pact, this is like that mathemancy guy in Cauldron whose power gives him great math ability plus flawlessly accurate aim.
    If a good gun is too weak, Torchwood provides a supertech gun with the right oomph.

If this all sounds too good, I could see his modeling only working with 95% accuracy. Since most statisticians accept something with a 5% margin of error.

EDIT: FYI, I know of the Umbrella from games, but I've never actually played any of them to know the plot or characters well. And I don't get the other two references, nor Torchwood (though it sounds familiar.) So I'm rather ignorant of any OOC knowledge. Hoping this power level sounds good.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-29 at 11:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Torchwood was the name of a Doctor Who spinoff show. It's only tangentially related to what this is.

Spoiler: @Jeen
    Show
    That works very well.

And I've read Worm, which is what had the math guy. Works for me!

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Flight is not needed. It's cool, but not needed.

And, if you read the first spoiler, or just recognize the name, the CEO of Umbrella is Albert Wesker. For power level, he should be someone who can stomp you on your own, but if you all work together, you can take him.

I realize that's kinda vague, but it's the best I can do. And do note, Torchwood has resources. Gaps can be filled with gear and whatnot.
    Thanks, that already helps. I will think about a more combat-related power in addition to my utility power, and the rest will be supplied by tech then.

Spoiler: Additional Powers
    Show
    Things that I have in mind:

1) Paper Cut. Being able to spot the weak spot in the enemy's defense, and then to press this red button, seemingly without effort. This could work like a nerve pinch or something on a low level goon, and would be much more complex against stronger enemies (e.g. could require a coordinated series of required moves).

2) Copy Cat. Being able to mimick powers of the enemy. It would start with one power and then increase over the time of a fight. The choice of the powers to be copied would be made randomly or by rule of drama. The power has to be perceived one way or another.

3) Paper Jam. Being able to "stun" / "block" any kind of (digital) technology. Not an EMP, rather letting it idle and making it indifferent to any user input. Could be used against cyberware, battletech, vehicles, etc. Would not jam a traditional gun, but could jam a laser rifle. Leaves the subject generally functional afterwards.

16. - Top - End - #16

Looks good, Nio.

So we've got one for Umbrella, one for The Printing Company, and I've talked to Illven-she's going for the school.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I guess spoiler to keep powers secret for now

Spoiler
    Show

I've been thinking Pact more lately, but, yeah, I meant to write Worm.

Great, then. I also figure he's supernaturally good at math now, but that's not likely to really come into play. Might let him 'guess' a password or combination lock by getting the probability of a right number, but I can see that needing more time.

In addition to a gun, I like the idea of some throwing knives or a crossbow to have a more silent weapon option. And parrying with a knife sounds cool.

18. - Top - End - #18

Looks good, Nio.

So we've got one for Umbrella, one for The Printing Company, and I've talked to Illven-she's going for the school.
    Awesome! I'll need to come up with the character itself then.

Do we play in current time? Near future? Distant future? I'm asking because of tech level.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Awesome! I'll need to come up with the character itself then.

Do we play in current time? Near future? Distant future? I'm asking because of tech level.
    Modern to near-future.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

JNAProductions, I have a question that I hope I can write without giving offense.
    I've seen you make a lot of PbP Recruitment threads, more than it seems tenable for a DM to manage. Do most of those just fall to inactivity due to players not signing up or ghosting? (I've DMed before, so I could see if you make 5 PbPs, only 1 might keep going after a week or two.)

Also, as a more common question: what's the expected posting rate? I'm not usually online during the weekend, but I can do most weekdays.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    JNAProductions, I have a question that I hope I can write without giving offense.
    I've seen you make a lot of PbP Recruitment threads, more than it seems tenable for a DM to manage. Do most of those just fall to inactivity due to players not signing up or ghosting? (I've DMed before, so I could see if you make 5 PbPs, only 1 might keep going after a week or two.)

Also, as a more common question: what's the expected posting rate? I'm not usually online during the weekend, but I can do most weekdays.
    A lot of times it is player inactivity. I certainly won't say I'm blameless either (I'm FAR from perfect) but I've been getting better.

I'll probably make a Discord Server to help the OOC go more smoothly (though we'll have the IC here in the playground).

Never be afraid to poke me about the game. Worst that happens is I'm busy and can't get to it right now, but a reminder never goes amiss.

I'd like a post a day, though sometimes stuff gets slow. It's okay.

And don't worry about offending me! I've got a thick skin, and that's a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Do you have any more info in mind about The Printing Company? E.g. where it has its headquarters or something?

And should we ideally come from some specific region?

This is what I have so far:

Spoiler: Nicolas Kovacs
    Show

Character Image

Nationality: British, Slavic roots
    Height: ~6ft
    Weight: ~190lbs
    Physique: Athletic
    Cis-Gender Male

Job: Product owner at The Printing Company for some yet-to-be-determined comic.
    Hobbies: Outdoor sports such as running, hiking, trail hiking, (listening to) music.

Tends to see (or seek to see) the good in people. If someone acts mean, first assumes they are unmindful or stupid before he assumes them to be evil.

Powers
    • absorb: able to absorb any printed / drawn / written / painted text or graphics from paper and similar surfaces through skin, storing as "ink" internally. Only able to hold so much of it, and will start to show signs of poisoning when the threshold is exceeded. (if you played Witcher 3, like when you had too much potions). Color of absorbed "ink" can be changed for print/mask.
    • print: able to transfer absorbed "ink" from skin onto other surfaces; ability to mimick machine fonts, plans, .... Must be able to either see or imagine what to print. (Can't for instance print a perfect blueprint of a house without having seen a plan, or being explained very well by someone else what to print).
    • mask: able to transfer absorbed "ink" to outer dermal layers in the fashion of tattoos, make up or minor glamours (e.g. being able to hide own identity, transfer a message by writing it on their forehead, ...)
    • ink jet: able to fire absorbed ink in small bursts at short distance (e.g. to blind an enemy, disabling a security camera, ...).
    • Paper Cut. Being able to spot the weak spot in the enemy's defense, and then to press this red button, seemingly without effort. This could work like a nerve pinch or something on a low level goon, and would be much more complex against stronger enemies (e.g. could require a coordinated series of required moves).
    • Copy Cat. Being able to mimick powers of the enemy. It would start with one power and then increase over the time of a fight. The choice of the powers to be copied would be made randomly or by rule of drama. The power has to be perceived one way or another.
    • Paper Jam. Being able to "stun" / "block" any kind of (digital) technology. Not an EMP, rather letting it idle and making it indifferent to any user input. Could be used against cyberware, battletech, vehicles, etc. Would not jam a traditional gun, but could jam a laser rifle. Leaves the subject generally functional afterwards.

23. - Top - End - #23

Yes-but itíll have to wait till Iím off work.

Good work on your PC.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Headquarters of The Printing Company (and its only building) are a nice set of buildings in California. They make comics and cartoons, for newspapers and independently.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Our powers and characters are supposed to be private from each other at game-start, right?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Our powers and characters are supposed to be private from each other at game-start, right?
    I guess?

I mean, it's not like you're gonna be playing coy with each other as part of a team. But it can be fun to discover what the others can do in play.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Headquarters of The Printing Company (and its only building) are a nice set of buildings in California. They make comics and cartoons, for newspapers and independently.
    So, I should live in California then. Good :)

Discord OOC is great btw, my handle is Niobaran#7766 .

28. - Top - End - #28

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Marking for interest
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Trent Reed
    Show

Appearance

Backstory: Trent is one of the students at the prestigious academy of Hopeīs Peak. Trent had been behind in his project for one of his classes and had a few questions to ask. He never imagined the school turning into a warzone. Just when things didnt seem to be worse, he blacked out to wake up in an unknown place....

Spoiler: Powers
    Show

Summon color companion: Summons a creature of one of 7 colors (red, orange, yellow, blue, cyan, green, purple). Each one with a specialized in one way. Only one can be active at a time. Trent can communicate mentally and even merge with any of them. The colour of his clothes change accordingly to whom he has summoned or merged with. Trent may use their powers of the creature merged but at a weaker scale than if done by the creature itself.

Red fox: Power of light: Capable of creating visual ilusions, sources of light, and blindness. He must remain concentrated on the effect to keep them active.

Orange Monkey: Power of mirror: Capable of bouncing back attacks or energy. It can also be used to copy or imitate the properties of other objects or imitate the movements of someone or something within sight.

Yellow Lion: Power of vitality: Can be used to heal and gain energy. It can be used to make plant life grow and calm down and relax. This power can be reversed to inflict damage.

Blue Wolf: Power of cold: Capable of creating stuff made out of ice, freezing liquids and creating snow projectiles. The ice starts to melt when its not 30 away from him.

Cyan Hyena: Power of slime: Capable of melting itself and reshaping. It allows it pass throughtiht or small places with ease and it might cover other objects to make them slippery.

Green Bat: Power of sonic: Capable of detecting invisible stuff, sonic attacks have the best range but damage is reduced the farther away it goes.

Purple Manticore: Power of poison: Capable of creating and poison created within. It can be released as a gas or liquid. Depending on the power, this poison can have acidic properties that may damage or melt objects.

Alignment: He is a oretty friendly guy with a thoughful and analytical mind.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2020-05-31 at 07:38 PM.