New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: All martials should have magic weapons by level 6 unless the DM is Gygaxian.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Seconded. All in favor say 'aye'.
    Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    I find it laughable that so many people are touting the "but the DMG says so" when so few actually have 6-8 encounters per day as it also states. Usually they have one.
    If we’re talking specifically about combat focused encounters, that applies to me. But I’m not including any event where I can get a spell slot to be spent, or deal HP damage, before the single intended combat-focused encounter.

Though, if I understand the XGtE tables, a single level 4 PC should have 2 “minor items” and 0.5 “major items”. I feel a silvered weapon, or moontouched sword, would be easy enough to swap with a basic healing potion.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: All martials should have magic weapons by level 6 unless the DM is Gygaxian.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    I'm aware that the game designers did their monster math with the assumption that martials can operate most of their career without magical weapons. Design philosophy or whatever.

And guess what? The design philosophy is wrong. For example: with magical weapons, the Hill Giant and the Earth Elemental are the same CR and are about the same level of difficulty -- the Hill Giant has a ranged attack and more damaging melee ones, but has fewer hit points, status immunities, and AC. Without magical weapons, the Earth Elemental is a nightmare that punches way above its weight class and will make the martials look small in the pants unless the spellcasters bail them out.

This disparity will get worse as the game goes on. I mostly play wizards and if the DM doesn't drop enough magic weapons then I call shenanigans. Other magical items I can take or leave; I've played a Sorceradin who got to level 10 with no magic item other than a +1 Maul and I've played wizards who got to T3 with NO magical items, not even the chance to copy spells. But the game becomes so lopsided against martials without magical weapons that I'm going to tell design intent to take a hike.
    In all honesty, what's the angle here?

When would that even matter?
    If DM is deliberately throwing a monster immune to nonmagical BPS at your 50% mundane party the very second it becomes available as a deadly encounter?

Having a low magic campaign with monsters that benefit from lack of things that can hurt them is just an option for the DM who wants it.

LVL6:
    Martials just got a massive boost at 5 thanks to extra attack. Heavy armor martials have Plate around the corner. Rogue got Uncanny Dodge to take half damage 1/turn. Rogue and Fighter got another ASI to spend on something bonkers like Crossbow Master/Sharpshooter/ GWM. Casters just got another 3rd level slot to throw another Fireball/Spirit Guardian in the mix.

Doesn't look like the right place to double down on Player progression and hand out another massive upgrade, tailored to suite for everyone.
    I'm not against handing out magic items or weapons, actually had about the same discussion yesterday. But this is the chance to do something interesting like hand out a Dagger that screams when unsheathed, a glowy axe that bounces off trees like it hit rubber or one of the fun cursed weapons.
    Your PCs could get a good hint it's cursed, giving them the choice to pick up that cursed longsword since it will be better than his greatsword in that Specter infested mausoleum the party is about to enter. Which means the party has to deal with the curse for a while and needs to figure out a way to get rid of it after.

Abusing how much of an upgrade a magic weapon can be makes for a golden opportunity as a DM. Hand out unusual weapons never used otherwise, play with fun effects or make that fun encounter you wanted to run more challenging by temporarily messing with the guy using a min maxed Sharpshooter/GWM build. Give them a Returning Dagger or Longsword of Grins. Throw them into a few Medium or Easy fights where the Resistance matters, give the party a chance to pick up your sidegrade/cursed weapon and then hit them with something more challenging. They're going to feel awesome overcoming Resistance for the big one.
    The easiest solution of all is to simply mix monsters with a Resistance and monsters without in an encounter. The Fighter can beat on the bruiser in front and roll all his dice unimpaired while the Sorcerer gets to take out the stuff resistant to nonmagical BPS.
    Challenging or specifically rewarding the players on their home turf once in a while can be fun, I'd throw in the occasional cramped tunnel (no Fireballs), enemy Abjuration Wizard dedicated to Counterspell, antimagic zone, flying opponent or horde encounter (yay Fireballs) over the course of an adventure to encourage the party to think on their feet.

The point is not to make someone feel useless, it never is. It's always about creating a fun experience in a more interesting way than "Roll Initiative - hit things with glowy metal thing for 3 rounds" for the fighty men, have the Wizard think about a combat scenario other than throwing Fireballs around and in general having the party work together instead of using their ressources and abilities only on themselves.
    Encourage the Hexblade to hand his Pact Weapon to the Barbarian and switch to Eldritch Blast. Get the Cleric to buff someone rather than casting Spirit Guardians once in a while. Let the Vengeance Pally figure out he can do other stuff than Haste, Hunters Mark and Smite with his Spellslots.
    Last edited by Tes; 2020-05-31 at 05:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tes View Post

The point is not to make someone feel useless, it never is. It's always about creating a fun experience in a more interesting way than "Roll Initiative - hit things with glowy metal thing for 3 rounds" for the fighty men, have the Wizard think about a combat scenario other than throwing Fireballs around and in general having the party work together instead of using their ressources and abilities only on themselves.
    Encourage the Hexblade to hand his Pact Weapon to the Barbarian and switch to Eldritch Blast. Get the Cleric to buff someone rather than casting Spirit Guardians once in a while. Let the Vengeance Pally figure out he can do other stuff than Haste, Hunters Mark and Smite with his Spellslots.
    The wizard would like to cast Haste on the warrior for his 3rd level spell slot and concentration. A warlock cannot hand over his pact weapon to anyone. The cleric would like to cast Bless and buff three party members. For the third level spell slot of Spirit Guardian he can Bless 5 party members which is often the whole party unless it's a large group. Spellcasters are not being selfish. They want to buff warriors. They don't want to have to, even more so with an inferior spell than what they could be buffing.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    The wizard would like to cast Haste on the warrior for his 3rd level spell slot and concentration. A warlock cannot hand over his pact weapon to anyone. The cleric would like to cast Bless and buff three party members. For the third level spell slot of Spirit Guardian he can Bless 5 party members which is often the whole party unless it's a large group. Spellcasters are not being selfish. They want to buff warriors. They don't want to have to, even more so with an inferior spell than what they could be buffing.
    The warlock actually can hand over his pact weapon. It just takes a specific set of circumstances for it to be a practical benefit. The warlock has to have something else to do and the other character has to be better with weapons than the warlock. A lot of the time, especially around mid-levels, the pact weapon is by far the warlock's best tool and the barbarian can do well enough swinging around something else.

It's hard to call effectively double damage for a lower level slot inferior spells. Plus it's not for something that'll happen all the time. It seems to me the difficulty is having the spell prepared when it's most useful.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Short answer is maybe, maybe not. It depends entirely on how the campaign is set up. If you're going to constantly have the party facing enemies where the martial characters can't do jack because of immunities and resistances, absolutely. If that's not the case and you want to have creatures with these immunities and resistances be a special challenge in creative problem solving, absolutely not. Most campaigns probably fall somewhere in the middle.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    The warlock actually can hand over his pact weapon. It just takes a specific set of circumstances for it to be a practical benefit. The warlock has to have something else to do and the other character has to be better with weapons than the warlock. A lot of the time, especially around mid-levels, the pact weapon is by far the warlock's best tool and the barbarian can do well enough swinging around something else.

It's hard to call effectively double damage for a lower level slot inferior spells. Plus it's not for something that'll happen all the time. It seems to me the difficulty is having the spell prepared when it's most useful.
    It's only technically possible if the barbarian remains within 5 ft of the warlock the entire time. It's not 100% never possible but typically not happening nor would the warlock be casting Eldritch Blast instead because 1) he's likely attacking with disadvantage for being in melee, again not 100% because of positioning but typically not happening in this scenario and 2) as a Bladelock he wants to be, is entitled to, and is not being selfish for attacking with his own weapon in melee as that's the point of playing a Bladelock. If the stingy DM would only give the barbarian a magic weapon already this convolution of circumstances wouldn't even be necessary because it's definitely not standard operating procedure.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tes View Post
    When would that even matter?
    If DM is deliberately throwing a monster immune to nonmagical BPS at your 50% mundane party the very second it becomes available as a deadly encounter?
    Less paranoid conspiracy example:

They are playing an elemental campaign. They have encountered some elemental cultists and some minor elementals (mephits). They leveled up recently. The DM notices regular elementals, by their CR, are now reasonable challenges. So some elementals are included.

Or animal themed campaign, and lycanthropes becoming reasonable challenges, by CR.

Or ... themed campaign , and ... becoming reasonable challenges according to CR.

Or an anecdote: We were playing Princes of the Apocalypse, and the DM rolled a Wereboar (CR 4) on a random wilderness encounter. In this case the DM noticed the creature was immune to most of the party and could easily cause a TPK. They chose to reroll the encounter.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-05-29 at 08:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

The Bladelock can hand over his weapon for a minute before it disappears.
    RAW you could argue every time he gets within 5 ft of his Pact Weapon within that minute, the timer resets. Worst case he hands the weapon over and has to walk next to the other guy till combat starts and then we have the same duration as Bless.

If all Spellcasters in your party spend their first round on buffing Martials, the Martials aren't going to feel behind anyway if you half their damage once in a while for a few levels, no?
    Otherwise go by the spirit of what I said instead of twisting the examples.
    If the casters only buff all the time, might be time to give them a pat on the back and remind them they could fix that problem with nonmagical BPS resistance by doing something more efficient rather then "the usual" for once?
    Last edited by Tes; 2020-05-29 at 08:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

It's only technically possible if the barbarian remains within 5 ft of the warlock the entire time. It's not 100% never possible but typically not happening nor would the warlock be casting Eldritch Blast instead because 1) he's likely attacking with disadvantage for being in melee, again not 100% because of positioning but typically not happening in this scenario and 2) as a Bladelock he wants to be, is entitled to, and is not being selfish for attacking with his own weapon in melee as that's the point of playing a Bladelock. If the stingy DM would only give the barbarian a magic weapon already this convolution of circumstances wouldn't even be necessary because it's definitely not standard operating procedure.
    1) Read pact of the blade again.
    2) It's perfectly reasonable for this to be a case where the bladelock gets to shine.
    3) It's not stingy for the barbarian to not have a magic weapon between level 3 (when the pact weapon is first available) and something like level 6 (when monks get magic unarmed strikes) or level 11 (when more kinds of magic weapons become much more common), or at least not have the exact magic weapon they want.
    4) The barbarian actually starts the game with an answer for many of the possible resistant or immune creatures in the game: An explorer's pack.

It may not be standard operating procedure for players/parties/DMs, but the game designers clearly put back ups in place.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find it laughable that so many people are touting the "but the DMG says so" when so few actually have 6-8 encounters per day as it also states. Usually they have one.
    5e has a problem where it is 'designed' for a set of assumptions that are so wildly divergent from how people are actually likely to play that even much of the guidance that isn't prima facie terrible is rendered useless. The expectations laid out around magic items stand out as a particularly bizarre example to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex
    Indeed. All of this runs into the same issue - without having an inbuilt ability to add the 'magical' tag to your attacks, you're implicitly imposing a tax on your teammates by forcing them to spend scarce resources so that you can measure up. If it were just a level 2 spell slot that wouldn't be so big a deal, but it's also a concentration effect, and if your party conforms to the traditional 4-man D&D group you're probably stuck leaving one character without a way to deal magic damage. Moreover, while full casters usually have a decent number of suitable alternative actions if directly throwing spells at something is out (buffs, summons, etc...), martials usually don't.

In any event, nonmagic weapon resistance makes far more sense as a height check/protection from plebs ability than it does as part of a game of damage type RPS (something which D&D is not particularly well designed for).

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    I do believe, however, that magic items should be given to adventurers by around level 6. I'm a stingy dungeon master when it comes to magic items and the latest I'll introduce them is level 3 because they tend to spice the game up. It's also fun for players to just earn something.
    Sometimes I like giving out powerful magic items (including backstories and minor properties) very early on, so they can become iconic in a PC's development if the player runs with it. A Robe of the Archmagi isn't necessarily that much of a power boost, frankly, but if you inherited it from your predecessor as Court Wizard, if you lose it you'll probably never see another one. Also, something like a Horn of Valhalla is usable only 1/week and serves as anti-TPK insurance without affecting most encounters. Someday I'd like to stay a PC off with a Cloak of Invisibility that stops working whenever the moon is visible in the sky (because the moon has a grudge against Anansi).

Magic items are an opportunity to make a campaign more interesting and I do use them.
    But I don't promise anything in particular at the start of a campaign, and it might not be a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick View Post
    In any event, nonmagic weapon resistance makes far more sense as a height check/protection from plebs ability than it does as part of a game of damage type RPS (something which D&D is not particularly well designed for).
    True only of immunity, and if you want to use it as a height check, why is there only one level (magic vs. nonmagic)? Why does 1st level Forge Cleric pass the height check to fight Demogorgon? If you want to use it as a height check, Iron Golems should be immune to magic and require +3 weapons to damage, and a Demon Lords should also require +2 weapons to damage. But 5E doesn't do that--in most cases even nonmagical weapons can kill even powerful monsters--because it isn't a height check at all, in 5E.

AD&D does height checks. 5E doesn't for weapons, only for spells (against Tiamat and Rakshasas).

Reread your DMG. That's not the guidance it gives.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-05-29 at 11:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by dmhelp View Post
    Technically Gygaxian would give you a +3 long sword, flame tongue, plate +2, bracers of defense, ring of protection, and multiple potions by level 6.
    Yea, this. Gygaxian is a high magic world.

The vast majority of D&D games are run very low on the magic scale. So you don't "need" magic weapons.

13. - Top - End - #43

DruidGirl

I dunno I like magic weapons, sure helps people like me who multiclass and might not have magic attacks yet. Goodness knows id be pretty f'ed in my avernus game right now if I hadn't been given a magic stick. Though I'd still be f'ed cause I'm in hell and my multiclass is barbarian3/monk2 and monks don't even get magic attack till lvl 6

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

If the main point of the assertion that martials should get magic weapons by level 6 is that that is when resistance to non magic weapons starts being common, then no. I disagree. If the point of non-magic weapon resistance was for the players to ignore it, it would not exist in the first place. It should exist and be relevant. So if you are giving out weapons the moment such creatures start comming up, that is avoiding a crucial tool in the DM toolbox for challenging players.

Now, of course, that does not mean never give out magic weapons. And it also does not mean that the moment you do give out magic weapons the resistance has to become irrelevant. And if you have been using some such creatures before level 6, then I would have no issue giving an upgrade at that time. But, I think it is equally important to remember that giving a magic weapon to help with resistances, starting around level 6, does not mean anything more than exactly that. That is to say, while I would generally agree that the first half of tier 2 is when magic weapons should stat to come into play, that can, and often, in my opinion, should, mean daggers, sickles, light crossbows and greatclubs, not necessarily rapiers, halberds, longbows and greatswords. Having the ability to overcome resistances is important. Having that ability with your ideal weapon that you intended to use forever is not. That's not to say that you should not ever give out such items, but to me, that is not something that should be expected until tier 3. Choosing to use a polearm does not mean a magic one should fall into your lap the moment your attacks start being resisted. What it should mean is that when resistances start coming up, you have a choice between continuing to operate with all your cool abilities, but perhaps having your attacks resisted, or saying screw it, and charging in with the +1 war pick you found.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by jas61292 View Post
    If the main point of the assertion that martials should get magic weapons by level 6 is that that is when resistance to non magic weapons starts being common, then no. I disagree. If the point of non-magic weapon resistance was for the players to ignore it, it would not exist in the first place. It should exist and be relevant. So if you are giving out weapons the moment such creatures start comming up, that is avoiding a crucial tool in the DM toolbox for challenging players.

Now, of course, that does not mean never give out magic weapons. And it also does not mean that the moment you do give out magic weapons the resistance has to become irrelevant. And if you have been using some such creatures before level 6, then I would have no issue giving an upgrade at that time. But, I think it is equally important to remember that giving a magic weapon to help with resistances, starting around level 6, does not mean anything more than exactly that. That is to say, while I would generally agree that the first half of tier 2 is when magic weapons should stat to come into play, that can, and often, in my opinion, should, mean daggers, sickles, light crossbows and greatclubs, not necessarily rapiers, halberds, longbows and greatswords. Having the ability to overcome resistances is important. Having that ability with your ideal weapon that you intended to use forever is not. That's not to say that you should not ever give out such items, but to me, that is not something that should be expected until tier 3. Choosing to use a polearm does not mean a magic one should fall into your lap the moment your attacks start being resisted. What it should mean is that when resistances start coming up, you have a choice between continuing to operate with all your cool abilities, but perhaps having your attacks resisted, or saying screw it, and charging in with the +1 war pick you found.
    Not necessarily, the resistances and immunities also provide a handy explanation on why these magical heroes are needed to deal with the issue. The militia can't deal with a pack of werewolves, no matter how many soldiers you have.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    Not necessarily, the resistances and immunities also provide a handy explanation on why these magical heroes are needed to deal with the issue. The militia can't deal with a pack of werewolves, no matter how many soldiers you have.
    Eh, technically they can do the tried and true "kill it with fire!"

17. - Top - End - #47

Griffon

I generally defer to the random tables for items (for loot and for back alley sales) until it becomes clear that a party member is struggling or a player is justifiably frustrated. This allows a good mix of reward and anticipation whilst remaining unpredictable. On average this means at least one magic weapon of some sort will drop in the middle of tier 2, though it’s possible to roll one in tier 1 if you’re lucky.

However, typically by mid tier 3 I just let my players buy the specific magic items they want (at a steep markup), since if it exists somewhere in the world, they have the tools and connections to track down where it is and broker a deal. Legendaries are still off limits and, in a practical sense, Very Rare is unaffordable; this is just in case someone’s character requires a particular Uncommon or Rare item for mechanical or flavor reasons.

18. - Top - End - #48

Lizardfolk

If you're going to constantly have the party facing enemies where the martial characters can't do jack because of immunities and resistances, absolutely. If that's not the case and you want to have creatures with these immunities and resistances be a special challenge in creative problem solving, absolutely not. Most campaigns probably fall somewhere in the middle.
    I feel like this duality is part of the problem. It's either that these enemies are common enough that a martial is ineffectively built if he isn't given a magic weapon (or can magicalize a weapon on his own) so the game is therefore no fun if the DM withholds them. Or these resistances & immunities are uncommon enough that nobody's bothering to use up precious spells known/prepared on an otherwise-useless (and boring) spell like Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon.

If you're stuck in a game where these R&I are common, but magic weapons are nowhere to be found, then you're basically playing an anchor of a character. There's something wrong if you constantly require somebody else's intervention to make your character viable in combat. Because at the cost those spells come with, their just too pricey to want to use (spell prepared, spell slot, concentration) and they're also no fun for the caster.

I'm sure there's games where these spells are actually seeing use. But I'd never take or prepare them myself. Nor would I expect somebody else to pay my freight in such an unexciting way if I'm the martial. For the level those spells are at, there's almost always something better and more effective to spend those resources on.

I think PCs should expect to run into a magic weapon or two by 6th level. If I'm a martial PC, there's no magic weapons, and R or I creatures are popping out of the woodwork with any real frequency? I'm retiring that character and rolling up a caster.
    Last edited by Guy Lombard-O; 2020-05-29 at 04:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrgon View Post
    Yea, this. Gygaxian is a high magic world.

The vast majority of D&D games are run very low on the magic scale. So you don't "need" magic weapons.
    And you get the Giant slayer sword from the horde of the Hill Giant or the acid resistance potion looting the lair of the black dragon you just killed
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

20. - Top - End - #50

Silver weapons. Classic.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Prove it.

Official play is a huge part of what they designed the game for, and it's definitely not "usually they have one".

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Prove it.

Official play is a huge part of what they designed the game for, and it's definitely not "usually they have one".
    I believe the burden of proof falls to you. You're claiming that there is a statement while he's claiming that no such statement exist. Rather than finding a statement that negates your claim that a statement doesn't exist, it's far more reasonable for you to find a statement in which your claim is affirmed.

But here's a relevant paragraph about the adventuring day:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG pg 84
    Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day. If the adventure has more easy encounters, the adventurers can get through more. If it has more deadly encounters, they can handle fewer.
    Notice how it never claims that 6-8 encounters is actually a full adventuring day. It really only gives the upper limit to the amount of encounters a party can typically handle under adventuring conditions. If you wanted to make a whole adventuring day of hard encounters, your party could really only handle around 4.

If you weren't particularly interested in pushing your players to their limits, you can easily have 2-3 encounters in an adventuring day and it would be perfectly valid.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asisreo1 View Post
    I believe the burden of proof falls to you. You're claiming that there is a statement while he's claiming that no such statement exist. Rather than finding a statement that negates your claim that a statement doesn't exist, it's far more reasonable for you to find a statement in which your claim is affirmed.
    Im not the one claiming that usually games have one encounter per day. A statement that far out there inherently requires the burden to prove it,

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jas61292 View Post

I agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second.

I do not advocate a magic weapon must appear by level 6. I can't give an exact level of should appear. I might be suspect if none exist by level 10, but what about level 9? 8? 7? It's subjective but also relevant to the campaign circumstances. I only advocate that warriors should be getting a magic weapon. The when is up in the air but not too high.

If the warrior has been using his favorite weapon type since level one, possibly applying game resources to using it such as feats and/or class features, you give him the magic weapon of that type. If he took great weapon master feat you do not give him a magic sickle. If his fighting style is dueling using a long sword you do not give him a magic halberd. If he has Pole Arm Master and Sentinel you do not give him a magic dagger. It is not the DM's purpose to force a player to play the game he wants him to play. No magic item exists without the DM's permission. It's not the player's fault nor is he having badwrongfun because he wants to use a great sword so the DM says tough luck deal with it by giving out magical daggers and short swords. Give the player a magical great sword.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Im not the one claiming that usually games have one encounter per day. A statement that far out there inherently requires the burden to prove it,
    Look here:
    https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdis...-amp-D-5e-Next

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

My eight players have a +1 dagger, a staff of the adder, and eyes of charming at 3rd level (and probably an elemental gem soon).

And I thought I was being stingy and running a low-magic campaign.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    My eight players have a +1 dagger, a staff of the adder, and eyes of charming at 3rd level (and probably an elemental gem soon).

And I thought I was being stingy and running a low-magic campaign.
    I'd say that was a lot of items for a 3rd level party, but with 8 players that kind of levels out I guess? If you're giving out items so steadily do you ever worry about down the line when all 8 players have magic items to choose from?
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

5E does have a correction method for those who worry about giving out too many magic items - attunement. Even some magic weapons can require it. Players can decide for themselves which are more important to them. If players never have to choose that means you aren't giving out too many. If they do have to choose, maybe it's too many or maybe it's a consequence of high level play accumulation, but either way the increase in power level is curtailed.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Anyway, the point is teamwork: the warrior winds up doing the bulk of the work but that doesn't mean the wizard is useless, just that he doesn't have the spotlight. Even if the warrior does have a magic weapon already the wizard could still help out by e.g. casting Haste.
    Teamwork does seem to be something missing from these whiteroom discussions where everyone is just blasting away at the enemy, and seemingly barely aware that their own allies exist. They're also places where martials and casters are two rival gangs that can never work together due to their perpetual Rod of Lordly Might measuring contests, and confront each other in dance-offs, West Side Story style.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

There's a false dichotomy between "don't give out magic weapons and the martials are crippled against certain monsters" and "give out magic weapons and monster resistances/immunities (and class features that neutralize them) are pointless". There's a very large middle ground where the players have magic weapons, but not the kinds of magic weapons they'd prefer.

My first 5th edition campaign went from 1st level all the way to 14 or 15 (I think we technically hit 15, but that was the point when we retired the characters, so it didn't matter). The first magic item we found was at around level 3, a magic greataxe. That's what the barbarian was using anyway, and she had the greatest need for a magic weapon, so naturally she got it. This might have been a deliberate DM boon, because she's not very good at optimizing, compared to some of the party.

Around level 5, we got a magic staff. Neither my rogue nor the paladin was particularly interested in it as a weapon, because we were both dex-based and staves aren't finesse, but I took it because I liked the spells on it, and it was at least an option for things I couldn't damage any other way (though I never ended up using it that way).

Shortly after that, we found a magic rapier, that dealt extra damage to fiends and undead. Both the rogue and the paladin were interested in that, but the paladin is more reliant on his weapon, so he got that.

At around 7ish, we got a Mace of Disruption. That would have been right up the cleric's alley, but by this time, he had so many spells that it was almost never worthwhile for him to swing a weapon. The bard ended up carrying it, but she only ended up using it in one fight, because she was almost always casting spells, too. We also got a tentacle rod, which my rogue ended up carrying because it was a better if-all-else-fails than the staff, but never ended up using.

At level 8ish, we got a Sun Sword. That went to the paladin, for the same reason that the rapier had, but now it meant the rapier got handed down to my rogue. Finally, I had a magic weapon I could Sneak Attack with, but only in melee. We also got an Oathbow, which I would have loved, except rogues aren't proficient with longbows, so that also ended up on the paladin, because even though he couldn't smite through it, he was the only one who could use it effectively at all.

It was maybe 10th level that the barbarian got a magic harpoon, and so finally a decent magical ranged weapon (though of course, she still preferred melee).

And it wasn't until 14th that we found a magic shortbow for my rogue.

So to sum up, even though we found our first magic weapon at level 3, before any resistant monsters ever showed up, resistance to magic weapons was still at least somewhat relevant for the next ten levels.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics