New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default For a moment I was thinking it's December or something

Has anyone else had this happen to them lately...? Just a few minutes ago I was browsing the forums, seeing posts from around 08/07/20, and thinking to myself, "oh, no reason to open that, that's from months ago." Took me a minute to realize what a bizarre thought that was.

I guess it's due to everything with the pandemic, detachment from the usual markers of the passage of time introducing a sense of timelessness. But the weirdest thing is that, since my job got classified as essential, I've still been going to work 4-5 days a week. So it shouldn't be hitting me as hard.

Either way, hi all! I haven't been around GitP in a while, but I've been looking around for rp options and figured I'd start making more of a habit of being around.
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: For a moment I was thinking it's December or something

Certainly not to that extent... but I have had similarities...

I'm still going in to work, and most of the phone calls I deal with are asking for ETA's on deliveries. At least twice, someones given me the date they ordered something (or the date they saw it invoiced) and I've started thinking "that was 1 or 2 weeks ago - they should have the item" and then suddenly realized that the date was only yesterday or a few days ago.

My wife, who is at home every day, regularly "loses" a day. Last week, she asked "Is today Tuesday or Wednesday?" My answer: "It's Thursday!"

EDIT: ...and Welcome Back!
    Last edited by Tarmor; 2020-08-22 at 09:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Perficio View Post
    Has anyone else had this happen to them lately...? Just a few minutes ago I was browsing the forums, seeing posts from around 08/07/20, and thinking to myself, "oh, no reason to open that, that's from months ago." Took me a minute to realize what a bizarre thought that was.

I guess it's due to everything with the pandemic, detachment from the usual markers of the passage of time introducing a sense of timelessness. But the weirdest thing is that, since my job got classified as essential, I've still been going to work 4-5 days a week. So it shouldn't be hitting me as hard.

Either way, hi all! I haven't been around GitP in a while, but I've been looking around for rp options and figured I'd start making more of a habit of being around.
    Not dates, but days? Definitely.

They all kinda blend together.

Also, love the avatar!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As soon as a thread starts showing the last post as being at a specific date instead of using terms relative to now (ie yesterday, one hour ago, etc...) my brain just immediately goes "wow, that was ages ago" even though the threshold for that is like two days.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As soon as a thread starts showing the last post as being at a specific date instead of using terms relative to now (ie yesterday, one hour ago, etc...) my brain just immediately goes "wow, that was ages ago" even though the threshold for that is like two days.
    You know, I find myself doing the same thing. Maybe that's what's behind it, my brain scrabbling to make "ages ago" into "months ago" and rolling with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    EDIT: ...and Welcome Back!
    Thank you! I'm gonna poke around and see if I can't find some threads to hang out in, and be more in the habit of stopping by semi-regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Also, love the avatar!
    Thank you! I remember messing around with vectors a lot to try and make it, and referencing someone's guide on the usual proportions characters in OOTS have. It's fun to hit that balance between blending in and having something original, isn't it?
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well back during lockdown I completely lost all sense of time and whatever, and even now that that’s over uh I haven’t had it as bad as you but I swear some days I’ll just be like.. wait.. it isn’t Thursday???!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have this mostly on holidays, as there often the days blend together (if all you do every day is get up, eat and dive, it's easy to have them blend together). But with the lockdown and the homeworking, I also had to look in my calendar at times to know what day it was.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah lockdown has truly caused time to either spin together or certainly move in chunks

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't had that particular issue, but I do keep feeling like the current state of things *gestures vaguely at 2020* has been going on for years. A month or so ago, my fiance and I went to rewatch some shows that we only got into in March when we went into lockdown, and we were both amazed at how much we remembered until we realized that it had only been a few months since we had seen them, not a couple of years like it felt.

I remember reading something in a philosophy class years ago that our awareness of time is affected by the number of events that occur - our brains are essentially wired to think "only X number of noteworthy things happen per day/week/year" or something similar (This was during my undergrad, so ... holy **** like 8 years ago now, so I'm sure it's way more complicated than that). Maybe all the constant crises this year are overloading our brains and screwing with our sense of time.

Go Tigers!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My wondering came September 4 when I was in a store... and saw the Christmas decorations. Really? We have to have them out before Labor Day now?
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I got free Christmas cards in the mail recently. I guess they keep moving it up in the fear that I will give to a different charity first.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, let me be clear. i have nothing against Christmas. Even ignoring the religious aspects, it's a great time to celebrate family and friends.

But I'm old enough to remember when the season didn't start until Black Friday. Heck since the term (as a shopping term) didn't become widespread until the mid-70s, I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't called Black Friday.

You used Thanksgiving weekends to put up your decorations, and ran them from then until New Years Day.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".