New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Eldritch Theurge/Disciple build

So I was doing some theorycrafting regarding using Sha'ir with Warlock to go into both Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple and I was wondering, 'huh, how many levels of each is best.' So I did some work regarding Theurge10/Disciple 5, Disciple 10/Theurge 5, and Disciple 8/Theurge 7. Note that this is without entry cheese so the base is Sha'ir 3/Warlock 2.

Theurge has 13d4+2d6+5d8 Hit Dice, which averages out at 62 HP with a max of 104. A BAB of 12, Fort of 8, Reflex of 5, Will of 17.

Disciple has 8d4+2d6+10d8 Hit Dice, which averages out at 72 HP with a max of 124. A BAB of 12, Fort of 9, Reflex of 5, Will of 17.

Balanced has 10d4+2d6+8d8 Hit Dice, which averages out at 68 with a max of 116. A BAB of 13, Fort of 9, Reflex of 6, Will of 17.

All three get 9ths at 20th and Dark Invocations at 19th, 8d8 Eldritch Blast and 10 Invocations. All three builds are identical until Level 8. So what do you playgrounders think, which is best?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Theurge/Disciple build

My go-to is Theurge 10/Disciple 5.

Disciple 5 gets you Eldritch Spellweave (add essences to your divine spells - vitriolic is good to ignore SR for instance) and two divine gifts. Usually I pick Healing Blast and Protective Aura as my two (the latter being a supernatural and thus undispellable magic circle against evil effect, most campaigns will find that useful), but Corrupting Blast and Wild Frenzy are also decent choices.

ET 10 gets you the capstone, Greatreach Blast, which lets you apply touch spells to your eldritch blast and deliver them from range. Combine with Spear and you're touching people from 250 ft. away - pretty handy at high levels. (Irresistible Dance from across the battlefield is a pretty annoying opener.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

You also need to be able to turn undead in order to enter Eldritch Disciple; you may need to set aside a level for dipping Sacred Excorcist or some such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    You also need to be able to turn undead in order to enter Eldritch Disciple; you may need to set aside a level for dipping Sacred Excorcist or some such.
    Yes, although you can use the adaptation (CM 56) to dump this requirement entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)