New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Fireball vs Scorching Ray vs Melf's minute meteors

I have seen quite a few reddit threads on this topic, and I just wanted to add a certain specificity to the discussion.

I am a blade singer wizard level 5 with 20 intelligence. So my go to level 3 spell is blink mixed with level 2 shadow blade (don't have to burn shield if I'm just not there). But looking at fireball, I think with my +8 to hit Scorching Ray is better bang for my buck. So far my DM hasn't thrown any large clusters of opponents at us, at least not where my party wasn't already engaged. I like that SR gives me flexibility in my damage (all on one or split them up).

At level 5 I think I'm better off choosing blink (no contest with my class) and probably Melf's minute meteors for a save or half dmg spell for things I just can't hit. The only time I use my spell slots to not become a close combat fiend, is when the enemy is too far, or I just want to shake stuff up and stand in the back. The meteors let me do 4d6+2d10 every round (BA spell + fire bolt) for roughly 3 rounds. And my concentration checks are +7 with advantage so I'm not dropping concentration usually ever. (I have to take 32 DMG to have a 50% chance of dropping a spell and that's still made at advantage, not to mention that's enough Damage to 1 shot me anyways).

I know it's circumstantial for everyone, but with my situation and class, what do you think?

Note: fireball is still on my shopping list to pick up in town and add to my spell book, but just won't be one of the 4 guaranteed level 3 spells I add for free.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Fireball vs Scorching Ray vs Melf's minute meteors

In your circumstances, the more precise Scorching Ray / Melf's Minute Meteors fits your use case better.

Unless your party has a Paladin of the Ancients. If that is the case then occasionally start fireballing the Paladin when they hit 7th level. Giving every ally +5 on Saves and Resistance against spells damage means your party usually only takes 1/4th. That really changes the math.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I agree, though one thing to consider are bunker enemies (High AC, low Dex). Not necessarily Fireball, but make sure you have 1-2 good save-based ranged or AoE spells available. At a +8, it's going to be rare to find something with a better than 50% miss chance, but it's always good to be prepared.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For single targets, Scorching Ray is at least as good as fireball. 8d6 but AC is usually easier to hit, crits are possible.

Minute Meteors takes your action to summon the Meteors and your bonus action to shoot them. Turn 1 will be 4d6 damage in a 10'x10' area, turns 2 and 3 will be that plus a 2d10 firebolt. In practice, a meteor will hit two adjacent targets in good circumstances.

Fireball is 8d6 immediately in a 20' radius sphere. That's 40' from one end to another. If you can get even 3 targets in the zone it'll be 24d6 damage dealt. That's 3x the damage of a SR and 2x the damage of a single target MMM over 3 rounds. (You can still firebolt during the next two rounds so MMM doesn't really have an advantage there.)

In my eyes, MMM is best for tanky bosses or creatures with evasion, Fireball is best for everything else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    For single targets, Scorching Ray is at least as good as fireball. 8d6 but AC is usually easier to hit, crits are possible.

Minute Meteors takes your action to summon the Meteors and your bonus action to shoot them. Turn 1 will be 4d6 damage in a 10'x10' area, turns 2 and 3 will be that plus a 2d10 firebolt. In practice, a meteor will hit two adjacent targets in good circumstances.

Fireball is 8d6 immediately in a 20' radius sphere. That's 40' from one end to another. If you can get even 3 targets in the zone it'll be 24d6 damage dealt. That's 3x the damage of a SR and 2x the damage of a single target MMM over 3 rounds. (You can still firebolt during the next two rounds so MMM doesn't really have an advantage there.)

In my eyes, MMM is best for tanky bosses or creatures with evasion, Fireball is best for everything else.
    I also like that MMM takes a few turns to deal all the damage, but as a BA (since I'm not a sorc I usually don't use a bonus action). The reason being is that it seems less to the party like the wizard is trying to kill everything before they can have any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    I agree, though one thing to consider are bunker enemies (High AC, low Dex). Not necessarily Fireball, but make sure you have 1-2 good save-based ranged or AoE spells available. At a +8, it's going to be rare to find something with a better than 50% miss chance, but it's always good to be prepared.
    Yes, right now I don't have any spells that are save based, that's another reason why I'm thinking of getting MMM because it's 1/2 DMG on save.
    Last edited by Drache64; 2020-05-29 at 10:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drache64 View Post
    The reason being is that it seems less to the party like the wizard is trying to kill everything before they can have any fun.
    That's fair.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Yes, right now I don't have any spells that are save based, that's another reason why I'm thinking of getting MMM because it's 1/2 DMG on save.
    Totally blanked on the save side. Let me check my notes.

Something else to consider is Melf is a concentration spell - You'll need to use this up before / instead of engaging Blink.

Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Totally blanked on the save side. Let me check my notes.

Something else to consider is Melf is a concentration spell - You'll need to use this up before / instead of engaging Blink.
    Amazingly, blink isn't concentration. And as far as getting hit, I do have +7 concentration check with advantage (blade singer + warcaster).

But my go-to Shadow Blade would have to wait until after the meteors are all gone, but really it's turn 1 "oh no there's a combat!" BA start blade song, action summon meteors and launch 2, turn 2 two more meteors, turn 3 last meteors, now that my tanks and healers have their setups going and probably have melee opponents engaged and focused on them I'm free to jump into CC and start carving things up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What I love most about Melf’s is how easy it is to aim.
    The smaller explosions are a good thing sometimes meaning you can more readily target opponents without nailing allies or you can better handle enemies coming from multiple directions.

But my play style is that I generally prefer usability / versatility over raw power any day.

Also, Blink is straight up incredible. Used it with a Wild Sorc caught in an ambush once, and it really saved his bacon. It’s pretty cool on an EK as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Amazingly, blink isn't concentration. And as far as getting hit, I do have +7 concentration check with advantage (blade singer + warcaster).

But my go-to Shadow Blade would have to wait until after the meteors are all gone, but really it's turn 1 "oh no there's a combat!" BA start blade song, action summon meteors and launch 2, turn 2 two more meteors, turn 3 last meteors, now that my tanks and healers have their setups going and probably have melee opponents engaged and focused on them I'm free to jump into CC and start carving things up.
    I'm 0/2 on memory today. I would have sworn blink was concentration.
    Go with the Meteors.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I would typically err towards fireball. No concentration like MMM, hitting multiple enemies with it is better than scorching ray, the only downside is in fact killing your own party. But smart timing and planning can help that a lot.

Bonus fact, the wording on melf's minute meteors is just shaky enough that you could interpret it to mean that you can send 4 on the first turn - 2 as you cast it, and 2 as your bonus action. I know, it says "thereafter", but there's not like a 5e legal thesaurus to say that doesn't include the portion of your turn between after the action and before ending the turn. It lets you do fireball damage on the first turn, just at a smaller area with the extra 2 for later.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    I would typically err towards fireball. No concentration like MMM, hitting multiple enemies with it is better than scorching ray, the only downside is in fact killing your own party. But smart timing and planning can help that a lot.

Bonus fact, the wording on melf's minute meteors is just shaky enough that you could interpret it to mean that you can send 4 on the first turn - 2 as you cast it, and 2 as your bonus action. I know, it says "thereafter", but there's not like a 5e legal thesaurus to say that doesn't include the portion of your turn between after the action and before ending the turn. It lets you do fireball damage on the first turn, just at a smaller area with the extra 2 for later.
    Concentration checks are practically non-existent for my character. Your wording on the spell seems absolutely correct to me. Hmm that makes it even more intriguing!

Ultimately I think I'm going to just keep scorching Ray and for my level 5 picks I'm going with blink and perhaps counterspell. I'll pick up fireball in a shop sometime along with the meteors. My blade singer is typically a close combat expert anyways.