New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Discussion: Spell Point Variant (DMG 288)

So in the DMG on page 288 there is an outline to use a pool of spell points instead of spell slots. Personally I prefer this method but I am seeing some significant advantages, namely versatility.

Level 1 spells cost 2 SP
    Level 2 cost 3 SP
    Level 3 cost 5.

At level 5 I'm supposed to have 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2, and 2 level 3. The SPV (Spell Point Variant) simply calculates the cost and gives you around that many points. (2x4)+(3x3)+(2x5)=27SP

This is curious, because I can now cast 4 level 3 spells and a level 1 spell. (Arcane recovery gives me back 5 SP so that's another level 3 spell for 5 per day). Or I can cast 13 level 1 spells or 9 level 2 spells...

Personally as a player I enjoy the power boost, but if I'm being fair I think every spell should simply cost the amount of points as its level and I should only have enough points to cast the amount of slots (wording?)

Okay, here's what I mean:
    Level 1 = 1SP, level 2 = 2SP, level 3 = 3SP.

At level 5 I should only have 16 spell points ((1x4)+(2x3)+(3x2))).

With this formula I can still cast 5 level 3 spells or 8 level 2 spells or 16 level 1 spells, but I feel it's a little simpler for the DM to keep track of if he wants to fact check me.

If anything this method should probably give me less points to spend because they are versatile.

IDK... What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Drache64; 2020-05-29 at 11:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Discussion: Spell Point Variant (DMG 288)

Quote Originally Posted by Drache64 View Post
    At level 5 I'm supposed to have 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2, and 2 level 3. The SPV (Spell Point Variant) simply calculates the cost and gives you around that many points. (2x4)+(3x2)+(2x5)=24, but they give me 27SP...

...snip...

IDK... What do you guys think?
    Your math is wrong. 3 level 2 spell slots is 3x3 not 3x2, and 2x4 + 3x3 +2x5 = 27, not 24. There's no anomaly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Your math is wrong. 3 level 2 spell slots is 3x3 not 3x2, and 2x4 + 3x3 +2x5 = 27, not 24. There's no anomaly.
    Haha thank you!! Writing this on almost no sleep, I'll update the post

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Drache64 View Post
    Haha thank you!! Writing this on almost no sleep, I'll update the post
    Changing spell point costs to cost = level is a interesting idea. I'm not sure if it's a net nerf or a boost--it lets high-level wizards be extremely efficient with first-level spells while still being good at their highest-level spells, but discourages them from casting 2nd level spells by effectively increasing their price. Druids with Goodberry will be stronger.

I don't see any compelling reason to use this method, and the relative values for spell levels are baked into the system in a number of places (Sorcerer Font of Magic uses the same numbers as DMG spell points) so I'm wary of messing with this without a reason. Maybe it's deliberate that you can't (by DMG rules) exchange a level 4 spell and a level 2 spell for two level 3 Fireballs.