New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Okay you try to cross the street and you just barely missed being stepped on by a cloud giant that wasn't looking where he was going, perhaps he was drunk, well he tripped over a horse through and fell on top of the stable crushing several horses to death after drinking several gallons of ale as he fell unconscious. Meanwhile you see a red beholder floating down the street being chased by a blue, a yellow and a green ghost. The beholder chomps down on a fruit stand, and suddenly the three ghosts turn tail and run away as the beholder chases after them chomping and trying to eat the ghosts! Just you typical scene in your small fantasy town, right?

The farmer leads ole Bessy down the street, and passes three houses in a row, one make of straw, the next one made out of sticks, and the third one made of bricks. He sees an orc peering through one of the windows as a mangy wolf walks down the street huffing and puffing, the farmer turns the corner and didn't see what happened, but there was a sudden gusts of wind that smelled like bad breath, and straw suddenly fell out of the sky, "my what strange weather they have around here," the farmer commented.
    It's not a normal setting that you're describing, but there's nothing wrong with it aside from being a bit too on-the-nose in its imitation of its inspirations.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Wasn't there an Australian series involving a mage travelling to modern day Australia to escape the havoc of his world?
    Only someone from his past paying him a visit rewriting reality quite literally!
    This is The Wizards of Aus, if you're looking for it.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It's not a normal setting that you're describing, but there's nothing wrong with it aside from being a bit too on-the-nose in its imitation of its inspirations.
    You can have a serious campaign or a silly campaign, usually the serious ones have a bit more suspense. I think the first good movie should be suspenseful, rather than a comedy starring Bill and Ted.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The obvious example of a realistic racially diverse setting is Discworld. Specifically, the city of Ankh-Morpork.

It started as a human city, but people go where the money is. There's a huge Dwarven population that send money back to their families in the mountains, just like real-life immigrants do. Trolls that weren't interested in sleeping and eating rocks all day came down and got jobs as heavy laborers, bouncers, and bodyguards. The Undead are a small minority that mostly keep to themselves, but there's a zombie in the City Watch and a Vampire news reporter. Small demons like Imps have found new employment powering small magical devices that act like modern technology like cameras, personal organizers, etc.

There's no indication that the whole world is like that - when the story travels to Uberwald we see humans as the minority living above a massive Dwarven city.

I'm not familiar enough with the various D&D settings to build a similar scenario, but I'm betting it would be just a few strokes of a pen to come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why there are a variety of races living in a large city.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2020-06-09 at 07:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The obvious example of a realistic racially diverse setting is Discworld. Specifically, the city of Ankh-Morpork.

It started as a human city, but people go where the money is. There's a huge Dwarven population that send money back to their families in the mountains, just like real-life immigrants do. Trolls that weren't interested in sleeping and eating rocks all day came down and got jobs as heavy laborers, bouncers, and bodyguards. The Undead are a small minority that mostly keep to themselves, but there's a zombie in the City Watch and a Vampire news reporter. Small demons like Imps have found new employment powering small magical devices that act like modern technology like cameras, personal organizers, etc.

There's no indication that the whole world is like that - when the story travels to Uberwald we see humans as the minority living above a massive Dwarven city.

I'm not familiar enough with the various D&D settings to build a similar scenario, but I'm betting it would be just a few strokes of a pen to come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why there are a variety of races living in a large city.
    Honestly as long as travel is cheap and relatively safe-ish there will always be travel. If we go by the medieval world as a basis people traveled far more than most people think.* Pilgrimages were huge. English peasants found their way to Jerusalem or Rome. Merchants from Sub-Saharan Africa reached Scotland. Mongols could raid from China to the Middle East and Hungary.

If anything the fact D&D world has teleportation and mental projected communication means there should be far far more of that. Of course like today different metropolises should probably favor only a few species in demographics. But assuming no overwhelming speciesism or other forces separating cultures (massive and continuous wars or raiding or opposed economic alliances and even then this shouldn’t drop cross culture trade to 0) there should probably be quite a bit of diversity in major cities.

*At least in the High or Late Medieval Period. Early Medieval seems far more restricted.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

You can have a serious campaign or a silly campaign, usually the serious ones have a bit more suspense. I think the first good movie should be suspenseful, rather than a comedy starring Bill and Ted.
    Why do you think a multi-racial society has to be comedic?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Imagine a city full of all the intelligent monsters found in all the Monster Manuals, imagine orcs rubbing shoulders with beholders, medusa, giants and dragons of different sorts, and try to imagine how that's going to work? Will pixies show up at the bar with storm Giants and Dragons? There never was a city like this, and frankly it's hard to imagine how these creatures would deal with each other and get along.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Imagine a city full of all the intelligent monsters found in all the Monster Manuals, imagine orcs rubbing shoulders with beholders, medusa, giants and dragons of different sorts, and try to imagine how that's going to work? Will pixies show up at the bar with storm Giants and Dragons? There never was a city like this, and frankly it's hard to imagine how these creatures would deal with each other and get along.
    That is literally what Sharn is in the Ebberon setting, a massively multiracial cosmopolitan metropolis.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

From DnD 5th Edition:
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcs
    Orcs gather in tribes that exert their dominance and satisfy their bloodlust by plundering villages, devouring or driving off roaming herds, and slaying any humanoids that stand against them. After savaging a settlement, orcs pick it clean of wealth and items usable in their own lands. They set the remains of villages and camps ablaze, then retreat whence they came, their bloodlust satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halflings
    The comforts of home are the goals of most halflings' lives: a place to settle in peace and quiet, far from marauding monsters and clashing armies; a blazing fire and a generous meal; fine drink and fine conversation.
    Any setting which includes both of these in the same settlement getting along in numbers is either going to be comedic, horrific or unfaithful to one or both of them.

Sigil kindof acts a bit like that.

11. - Top - End - #251

And here I was expecting a crowd scene from Zootopia.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

The logistics of species of radically-varied sizes and shapes living alongside one another are going to be difficult, yes. But I've never said anything about a setting with all intelligent creatures living in one city, just one that's more varied than human/elf/dwarf/halfling/gnome. You could very easily have a society that's a mixture of lizardfolk, ettercaps, centaurs and blink dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Any setting which includes both of these in the same settlement getting along in numbers is either going to be comedic, horrific or unfaithful to one or both of them.
    I don't see why a new setting has to be faithful to an old setting's racial descriptions.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't see why a new setting has to be faithful to an old setting's racial descriptions.
    Past a certain point, you deviate from them too much and you don't have the original creature anymore, you just have something with the same name. Orcs being green humans is, well, boring.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

A new setting doesn't - but unless you have 'everyone is merely a funny looking human' then you would expect some cultures that would not interact for a lot of reasons - an Illithid merchant might be fine upstanding honest person but as a race if they are not mind enslaving monsters who eat brains then from a certain point of view they are not really Illithids (the merchant might have given up on that life - but then they might be better using a disguise).

Saying everyone is merely a funny looking human is fine if that is what you want - but at that point it kindof isn't really DnD any longer, and you could argue that it is also not that diverse.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

From DnD 5th Edition:

Sigil kindof acts a bit like that.
    Just for the record. There are certain cultures that {scrubbed} interacted quite similarly to the description of orcs.

And those cultures still had traders, diplomats, and non-combatants. And 5e itself allows members of any playable race to be of any alignment. So not all orcs need to be of the raging bloodthirsty variety.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-12 at 09:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Past a certain point, you deviate from them too much and you don't have the original creature anymore, you just have something with the same name. Orcs being green humans is, well, boring.
    A new setting doesn't - but unless you have 'everyone is merely a funny looking human' then you would expect some cultures that would not interact for a lot of reasons - an Illithid merchant might be fine upstanding honest person but as a race if they are not mind enslaving monsters who eat brains then from a certain point of view they are not really Illithids (the merchant might have given up on that life - but then they might be better using a disguise).

Saying everyone is merely a funny looking human is fine if that is what you want - but at that point it kindof isn't really DnD any longer, and you could argue that it is also not that diverse.
    You don't need to make everyone a funny looking human to make a multi-racial setting. I don't know where you got that idea from. You only have to bend the existing descriptions, and even then only in some cases. Orcs, for example, can be bloodthirsty and fond of violence without being genocidally racist against all non-orcs. And yes, there are some species that won't be able to integrate into a multi-racial society, but I've never said that a multi-racial society would have to have all species.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean sure, orcs in general might match that description.
    The orcs hanging out in the city?
    They either don't- which is why they live among other folks -or they are smart enough that there's better living in letting weaker people pay them for keeping them safe from such attacks. Or to inflict them on others.
    They (and others) would be outlayers, atypical for their race, but so are adventurers.

Okay, throwing everything and the kitchen sink in can turn silly fast. Or it's Sigil.
    But some orcish mercs*, lizardfolks offering their services as guides through the swamp/selling swamp fish or hobgoblins working as guards for some (underworld?) business wouldn't be out of place.

*Or maybe a weapon smith who figured that if those pesky heroes are gonna pick up her weapons anyway they might as well pay her.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Honestly as long as travel is cheap and relatively safe-ish there will always be travel. If we go by the medieval world as a basis people traveled far more than most people think.* Pilgrimages were huge. English peasants found their way to Jerusalem or Rome. Merchants from Sub-Saharan Africa reached Scotland. Mongols could raid from China to the Middle East and Hungary.

If anything the fact D&D world has teleportation and mental projected communication means there should be far far more of that. Of course like today different metropolises should probably favor only a few species in demographics. But assuming no overwhelming speciesism or other forces separating cultures (massive and continuous wars or raiding or opposed economic alliances and even then this shouldn’t drop cross culture trade to 0) there should probably be quite a bit of diversity in major cities.

*At least in the High or Late Medieval Period. Early Medieval seems far more restricted.
    Yeah, the demographic realism argument is fairly daft as, bluntly, DnD is typically nothing like the Middle Ages. I see no reason beyond dramatic license to keep with it being a historically illiterate parody. We've certainly past the time when nerds dreamed of fantasy properties getting a proper budget, now we've moved to actually letting a film paint a cinematic picture with various peoples would imply...something? It's not like Guilds, armor, cultural identity, or anyone of a thousand other things in DnD actually resemble the time period. Medieval DnD is mostly a caricature of the time period, and one stuck firmly in some chiefly Anglo-French territory therein.

I'm also not sure why, semiotically, the different races of DnD would have to correspond one to one to large cultures. If instead they stand in for various more tribal identities, then you'd have a good license to have a diversee roster, and you'd actually be closer to implying what life was like for people back then. A town where 80% of people are French isn't really a thing for the Medieval period, a time when France was infamously decentralized in any way you cut it, a place of independent principalities and towns, warring imperial powers, and the millennia of migrant movements and displaced peoples weren't all bumping up against each other, depending on time and geography.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

I would suggest a D&D movie would and probably will resemble Star Wars in terms of diversity. The protagonist will be human while a certain percentage of the supporting cast will be non-human but still human-enough that the actors can freely emote.

Don't worry about the actual rationale for why certain races are where they are, the important point is those actors in costume/puppets/visual effects need to be positioned in such a way as to establish a fantasy atmosphere for any crowd scene. You don't have a tavern scene without some expensive visual oddities wondering about, and do you really think they'd not have that tavern scene? In any modern fantasy adventure movie, much less one called Dungeons & Dragons?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    It's not like Guilds, armor, cultural identity, or anyone of a thousand other things in DnD actually resemble the time period. Medieval DnD is mostly a caricature of the time period, and one stuck firmly in some chiefly Anglo-French territory therein.
    The pedant in me needs to point out that guilds were very much a thing in Medieval times. I visited the Merchant Adventurers Hall in York last year and found it fascinating*.

There may not have been a "Fighters Guild" or a "Thieves Guild" but the core idea of craft practitioners forming a larger organization is well established. It's one of the more realistic ideas of the setting.

Of course, you have to leap through some weird logical loops to get to that point. A Fighters Guild requires a sufficient threat for local warriors to go out and fight, but not a big enough threat for the local lord to send troops after it, and it requires a sustained threat for the Guild to keep finding work.

All of that is baked into D&D on an intrinsic level, so a guild makes perfect sense.

Again, so pedantic that I can't believe I wrote all that, but sometimes I need to write this stuff down.

*Coolest thing I learned was of a local lady who defied the Guild's monopoly and started an independent grocery store. Despite efforts to shut her down she was successful enough that the Guild backed down and let her join years later for a tiny fee, long after it was irrelevant. That grocery business eventually transitioned into chocolate, and it's the reason why many chocolate companies (including Cadbury's) exist today.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Orcs being green humans is, well, boring.
    It's impossible to make up a sapient creature that cannot be described as "human, but with X" because in that context human is synonym with sapient.
    Orcs are green humans. They've always been since the day they became green.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    It's impossible to make up a sapient creature that cannot be described as "human, but with X" because in that context human is synonym with sapient.
    Orcs are green humans. They've always been since the day they became green.
    "Human, but with scales, and wings, and lots of treasure on which they sleep, and also they're huge, and they always abduct princesses for some reason" is just a tad unwieldy...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The pedant in me needs to point out that guilds were very much a thing in Medieval times.
    I've been to Medieval Times like three or four times, and the closest thing they have to a guild is the gift shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    "Human, but with scales, and wings, and lots of treasure on which they sleep, and also they're huge, and they always abduct princesses for some reason" is just a tad unwieldy...
    Some of us have princessess who enjoy our company and came on their own volition, thankyouverymuch
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-10 at 09:29 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The gift shop guild is notorious for its markups.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The gift shop guild is notorious for its markups.
    Ain't that the truth.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Yeah, the demographic realism argument is fairly daft as, bluntly, DnD is typically nothing like the Middle Ages. I see no reason beyond dramatic license to keep with it being a historically illiterate parody. We've certainly past the time when nerds dreamed of fantasy properties getting a proper budget, now we've moved to actually letting a film paint a cinematic picture with various peoples would imply...something? It's not like Guilds, armor, cultural identity, or anyone of a thousand other things in DnD actually resemble the time period. Medieval DnD is mostly a caricature of the time period, and one stuck firmly in some chiefly Anglo-French territory therein.

I'm also not sure why, semiotically, the different races of DnD would have to correspond one to one to large cultures. If instead they stand in for various more tribal identities, then you'd have a good license to have a diversee roster, and you'd actually be closer to implying what life was like for people back then. A town where 80% of people are French isn't really a thing for the Medieval period, a time when France was infamously decentralized in any way you cut it, a place of independent principalities and towns, warring imperial powers, and the millennia of migrant movements and displaced peoples weren't all bumping up against each other, depending on time and geography.
    Do you want a guy in a leather jacket and wearing a pair of sunglasses swinging a sword? How about a monk sporting a spikey mohawk? How about a wizard in a jumpsuit of a fighter in a bikini with breastplate, do you want those tropes?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you want a guy in a leather jacket and wearing a pair of sunglasses swinging a sword? How about a monk sporting a spikey mohawk? How about a wizard in a jumpsuit of a fighter in a bikini with breastplate, do you want those tropes?
    Shadowrun is a fine setting, but it is not what I think of when I think Dungeons and Dragons.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

The pedant in me needs to point out that guilds were very much a thing in Medieval times.
    Oh certainly.

There may not have been a "Fighters Guild" or a "Thieves Guild" but the core idea of craft practitioners forming a larger organization is well established. It's one of the more realistic ideas of the setting
    Kind of. But going into more depth would be a divergence, and I'm making my will save to avoid nitpicking DnDisms too much on a tangent.

Yeah I'm not following there. It looks like you're trying to make an appeal to extremes, but I don't see how even if we took this to it's illogical conclusion and decided to make every single member of the cast a different race, we'd in any way end up with a punk band.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

PaladinGuy

I like medieval realism, at least with regards to weapons and armor. I don't like fantasy character with too many anachronisms.

30. - Top - End - #270

I like medieval realism, at least with regards to weapons and armor. I don't like fantasy character with too many anachronisms.
    Fantasy characters live in entirely different worlds, they cannot have anachronisms.

Or, well, I suppose they can, but they'd be much different. Like people talking about the spell plague before it went off, or things like that.