Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dark Heresy (1E) sandbox-y/episodic game – Inquisitorial Informants

"To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable." So it is written; so it is lived for the citizens of the Calixis sector. The Imperium permeates all, encompasses all, controls all, commands all. It consumes generation upon generation of human, the best and brightest together with the most wretched, extracting every resource it can to preserve its uncompromising vision of human supremacy – and yet rare and isolated indeed are those humans who thrive in this ideology. To live and labour as an ordinary human is to have one's body owned by the Corporation and one's soul owed to the Cult. Fear is the default human condition: all know that civilisation teeters upon the brink, that War is everlasting, that the Xenos waits outside the gates and the Traitor sabotages from within. There is no trust, no community, only vigilance and fear. And which is more terrifying – the unimaginable horrors of the Enemy, or the legendary punishment visited upon collaborators by those who keep the Imperium safe? In such a regime, the shadow hand of enforced compliance is a monster all of its own. The Inquisition is spoken of only in whispers, because it is far, far closer than you might think. The shadow hand of the Emperor's ten thousand year project blows across the galaxy as a storm through a forest, brutal and unseen: those that cannot bend before it must break, and it is known and measured by the wreckage in its wake.

In a culture of secrets and siege mentality, betrayal is an inevitability. Those who inform on a trusted friend or lover feel that tarnish upon their soul, just as surely if the Warp itself had touched them. Most will have to carry that rot within them, for the rest of their lives, never knowing if that sacrifice was somehow justified. At least, though, they can deal with that on their own terms – within what edifices and structures, however rotten, remain of their own personal lives. But some will not be allowed to forget this deal with the devil, and will be demanded to surrender ever more and more. When the Inquisition has its eye on you, its claw in you, it is foolish to think it will ever let you go ...

~

So! I'm hoping to run a Dark Heresy game which begins with the PCs not yet Acolytes, strictly speaking, and explore how a citizen of the Calixis sector gets drawn into the outer echelons of the Inquisition, and transitions from just an asset to a potential acolyte on an Inquisitor's books. Each of them has sold someone, or something, to one of the long arms of the law in Hive Tarsus, and it was information of enough value that they were told the Imperium would come calling again. They may have thought that that was just a warning, to keep them on the straight and narrow. They may have forgotten, or tried to forget, and perhaps convinced themselves that they were succesful. Nonetheless, that call has now come.

I'm thinking this would work best in a slightly sandbox-y, and maybe more episodic game – in particular, that doesn't cleave too tightly to the typically (at least, in my opinion) more linear Dark Heresy game structure, where the Inquisitor points the acolytes at a plot point and bad things start happening. That's not to say that I don't have ideas for a plot, and that there won't be conspiracies lurking in the shadows – but for the moment, these are pretty loose ideas, and my hope is that they can be adapted around the players' aims and the PCs' actions. So, sandbox-y because I'll try and adapt to the PCs, and 'episodic' in the sense that I may at times have to briefly pause play, or skip some in-game time, to check my notes and improvise! (The eventual aim, as I currently imagine it, would be for the PCs to transition to being an actual Inquisitorial cell. But I am interested to see how feasible a looser game will be.)

There's a section called New Recruits on page 276 of the Dark Heresy (1E) core rulebook, which describes what the Inquisition tends to expect from the assets it is recruiting as potential acolytes, and this more or less outlines what I imagine the sort of PCs at the start of this game would be. I conceive that they're probably not very socially well-connected, or economically well off, but are more likely to be making a living skirting the edges of society. That's not to rule any character concepts out a priori, and I'm open to suggestions from anyone who's interested! But I do think that certain types of Dark Heresy characters would be very difficult to fit into this concept. On the other hand, I think there are plenty of ways to adapt and interpret most of the careers to work. A guardsman could represent a bodyguard, for example, and an arbitrator could be a planetary enforcer or even an independent bounty hunter. There are also a lot of neat options across the various sourcebooks for background packages and immediately available alternate ranks for Imperial citizens on the wrong side of society and the law that could fit very well into this game. One thing I will say, though, is that while I do welcome you to look through the Radical's Handbook, I would rather that this doesn't start out as a game full of wyrds, daemon vessels and mutants! You're on the Inquisition's radar, so an openly unsanctioned psyker or blatant heretic is not going to fly very far or for very long.

I hope that outlines the essential info and gives you an idea of what I'm thinking, but I'll also go through the typical questionnaire for some more fine details.

System: Dark Heresy 1E. (First edition because that's the one I'm more familiar with and have the various sourcebooks for. However, if the second edition contains any obvious 'fixes' that we could import, let me know.)
    Player count: Ideally 5.
    Style of play: As I said, sandbox-y at least to an extent, with strong roleplay encouraged! Beyond that I hope we hit the usual Dark Heresy mix of action and intrigue.
    Allowed content: All DH1E sourcebooks are on the table – the most important thing is whether the PCs fit the theme and game style I've outlined.
    Character creation:
    • Mechanically, first-rank acolytes with the standard 400 XP to spend. For characteristics, make ten rolls and assign nine of them as you like. Starting gear can be sold off for half its rulebook price, and feel free to buy anything with an Average availability or better at the rulebook prices. If you want something Scarce, run it by me.
    • As I alluded to earlier, the game will be set in Hive Tarsus, on Scintilla. The core rulebook has some info on the hive and planet which is worth reading. I leave it to you to decide why your character is in Hive Tarsus and how long they've been there, but if they're not locals then they should at least have been based there for a while and planning to stick around.
    • If your character is a local, do feel free to elaborate on their background in Hive Tarsus – whether they have family, who their peers are, what they do and how they spend their time. I encourage it!
    • Building on the previous point, one thing I'll need from every PC is why you're an asset: who, or what, you informed on or sold out to the authorities. This is what (I hope!) will bring the PCs together, and if you write a nice juicy hook in your backstory, I'll try to work it into the game!
    • In general, to tie all this together, I would like entrants to think a little bit about the Bringing your Character to Life section of character creation (page 30 of the core rulebook). In particular I do want everyone to answer the questions about Nature on page 35. Of course, the questions about your Inquisitor and the Inquisition don't apply – for those two, substitute instead what you think about the Imperium, and what your relationship is to the law, in spirit and letter.

So ... I think that's it! I'm very interested to hear any opinions, and do offer any feedback or suggestions that you have.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-06-07 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Heresy (1E) sandbox-y/episodic game – Inquisitorial Informants

I'm interested! Been a while since I last played DH.

First edition, you say? My rulebook does not indicate any edition, but is from 2008. Is that first edition?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer
    A Wretched Hive (DH) as Nathias Falkner, forger and pilot

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    For characteristics, make ten rolls and assign nine of them as you like.
    Very generous of you, but usually I use my starting rolls to give me inspiration for character creation. In that spirit, I'll assign nine of my rolls to characteristics and see if those rolls add up to a character I feel like playing. If not, I'll shuffle the rolls a bit.

I'm most likely going to play a local (so, using the Hive World modifiers). We'll see.

WS: (2d10)[8]
    BS: (2d10)[11]
    S: (2d10)[12]
    T: (2d10)[12]
    Ag: (2d10)[13]
    Int: (2d10)[14]
    Per: (2d10)[19]
    WP: (2d10)[14]
    Fel: (2d10)[12]

Extra roll: (2d10)[18]

Damn, those are pretty good rolls. Only one is below average, and can be replaced with the 18.

Starting Wounds: (d5)[1] + homeworld modifier

Will wait until I've decided on a homeworld before I determine my Fate Points. Wouldn't want my roll on Table 1-7 to influence my choice.

Imperial divination: (d100)[84] (+3 Strength)

Edit: Let me mull it over. I'm having trouble picking a career path... I have several possibilities in mind.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-05-29 at 07:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It does sound interesting

(2d10)[6]
    (2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[18]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[11]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[12]

Wounds
    (1d5)[3]

Divination
    (1d100)[23]
    (+2 to Per)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Would like to voice my interest. With permission, I'd like to roll for a random home world.

Random Home World: (1d100)[70] (Imperial World)

(2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[20]
    (2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[14]

Wounds: (1d5)[3] (+8 modifier)

Imperial Divination: (1d100)[25] (+2 Perception)

I'm feeling something like a Guardsman.
    Last edited by InAction; 2020-05-30 at 12:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

(2d10)[18]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[15]
    (2d10)[6]
    (2d10)[17]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[11]
    (2d10)[15]

Seems interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, this seems like a good game for a character concept I've been mulling over for a while: some kind of journalist. Not that a free press is likely to be a cornerstone of Hive Tarsus society, but I bet some kind of local newspaper or gossip rag survives in the high spires, presumably subsisting heavily on bribes whenever it finds something too uncomfortable. They have precisely one "investigative journalist", who mostly inviegles her way into society parties and keeps her ears open, and she found something on someone that she decided was worth passing to the Inquisition rather than publishing. Mechanically speaking, I think wierdly a Cleric might be best - they seem to have the best access to "civilian" skills, Scum don't get Inquiry for some time, and Arbites are too tough and fighty. I'll do a basic set of stat rolls now, and then go poking around in sourcebooks to check if there's some useful sub-class that I could use.

(2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[4]
    (2d10)[2]
    (2d10)[19]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[15]
    (2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[16]

8. - Top - End - #8

Hi Haval =)

Just because I'm in the mood, I think I'll just produce the finished product right away. Carver, the scum.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Carver never knew his real parents, and while he propably had a real name once, he no longer recalls. He's been called many things by many masters - kicked by many feet, lashed by many whips. He's learned the hard way that freedom generally speaking comes only at knifepoint, which is why those who call him anything these days, call him Carver, and keep him in front of them.

Carver has been a thief, and a thug, a murderer and a prostitute. He's seen all the glories that absolute poverty and squalor can bring - and he's survived them all. He's not a trusting or particularly kind person, but he's unflinchingly loyal to those precious few he calls friends.

Carver is not a hero. He doesn't take risks if he can avoid it, doesn't fight fair, and he doesn't get involved in other peoples business. But when a job needs doing, he'll get it done.

It was while doing what he does best that Carver attracted the eyes of the Inquisition. Carver will, if at all possible, solve problems without getting too close to the danger personally. So over some petty issue, a new gang trying to get a nice racketeering ring going on what Carver considered 'his turf' - rather than just pay up, Carver instigated a large scale gang war between the new guys and an older crew. It resulted in a major bloodbath, dozens dead - but Carver never had to lift a finger, or pay a single throne.

The Inquisition, to Carver, is pretty much like working for God. From the bottom of society, the Imperium is all but incomprehensible. All you really worry about is food and shelter and keeping on cordial terms with the nearest gang lord. But there is no scarier employer than God. Carver feels he's struck the jackpot - if only he can stay alive long enough, and keep everyones eyes where he wants them.

Carver will sacrifice anyone and anything - up to and not including himself. His desire is simple: Wealth and security. He might take position and respect as well, if he ever considered that possible.

If there's anything Carver cares enough about to actually hate, it's taking risks - and betrayal.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(2d10)[4]
    (2d10)[11]
    (2d10)[6]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[13]
    (1d10)[4]

Wounds: (1d5)[5]
    Fate: (1d10)[8]
    Starting gelt: (1d10+5)[13]
    Divination: (1d100)[31]

So let's see where that all lands.

WOW! Those rolls are actually crap. Heh. This is going to take some serious wrangling to work. But .. gimme 50 bonus xp, and I'll make do with what I have =D

Well, meet Carver. Could'a been better. That's what they'll put on his tombstone. I mean, on the off chance he manages to get one.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2020-05-30 at 02:49 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy to see there's some interest! I am going to leave it at least a few days for folks to check this thread out before setting a time limit, but I expect that I'd want to make my decisions around next Friday so I can kick the game off next weekend.

-Sentinel-: The 2008 rulebook is first edition, yeah. I actually hemmed and hawed quite a bit about characteristics, because I do also like the way character creation by the book inspires different character concepts in this system and the sister 40K/WFRP games. In the end I decided to err on the side of generosity during recruitment – I can always account for that during the game.

LeSwordfish: That sounds very cool, and it's definitely the sort of neat concept that I think fits well with my conception of the game! Interested to see where you go with this.

Kaptin Keen: I have to say I'm disinclined to loan anyone extra XP at character creation unless it's for a good reason – I think free assignment of characteristic rolls already gives folks freedom to tweak their ideas. Is there a particular reason you feel Carver needs to take an extra advance right away? This is not to say I don't like the idea of the character, though. He definitely feels appropriate to the tone. I'm not sure if you consider the fluff totally finished, or just the mechanics. I'd like to know more about whom exactly he ratted out to the authorities and why.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

DH 1? I'm happy to give the dice a whirl, but I also have a request - I have some character concepts lying around from a previous DH 1 game here on GitP that died soon after launch. If the results I get for rolling now are too poor or uninteresting (e.g. super average across the board) to interest me, would you be adverse to me porting over one of the character concepts I built for the defunct game? The starting rank was higher but that can be scaled back. Otherwise I recall character generation being by the book (I can dig up the recruitment thread if you like).

(2d10)[18]
    (2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[7]
    (2d10)[15]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[14]
    (2d10)[11]

Extra: (2d10)[10]

Wounds: (1d5)[5]

Fate: (1d10)[9]

Divination: (1d100)[83]

...I can work with this.

Edit: I agree that careers can mostly be reinterpreted to fit the theme of the game, but how about home worlds? For instance, are Noble Born or Schola Progenium too far off base for the sort of characters you're envisioning? Both come with pretty strong themes/abilities.
    Last edited by rax; 2020-05-30 at 06:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Carys Callaghan

Carys Callaghan, Society Correspondent, Tarsus Inquirer. Care to provide a quote on these scurrilous rumours you've been connected to the Cold Trade?

WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel
    19 29 24 30 33 39 39 37 46

Wounds:
    11/11
    Fate: 3/3

Skills: Awareness, Charm, Common Lore (Tarsus Hive, Ecclesiarchy), Inquiry, Literacy, Scrutiny, Speak Language (Low Gothic, High Gothic, Tarsus Dialect), Trade (Writer, Valet)

Talents/Traits: Accustomed To Crowds, Caves Of Steel, Hivebound, Wary, Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (SP), Basic Weapon Training (Primitive), Peer (Ecclesiarchy)

Gear
    Spoiler
    Show

Autopistol + 3 Clips (30m, S/-/6, 1d10+2 I, 0 Pen, 18 clip, Full reload)
    Side Handle Baton (Melee, 1d10 I, +5 to Parry)

Aquila Necklace
    Good Quality Clothing
    Flak Jacket (3AP to arms, legs, body - resembles a tan double-breasted coat.)
    Backpack

Camera + Equipment

Fork Handles
    Charm
    Microbead
    Lho-sticks
    Dataslate
    Writing Kit
    Cognomen - identifies her as a journalist with the Tarsus Inquirer
    Ward Accessor (Blank)

80 thrones remaining.

XP Expenditure
    Spoiler
    Show
    400/400
    Background Package: Great Chantries of Tarsus - 200xp
    Awareness - 100xp
    Inquiry - 100xp

Assorted workings-out
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homeworld: Hive World. Accustomed To Crowds, Caves Of Steel, Hivebound, Wary -5 Toughness, +5 Fellowship (I considered Noble Born but I think this more accurately represents a mid-hive pretender)

Cleric:
    Speak Language (Low Gothic), Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Literacy, Trade (Copyist), Trade (Valet)
    Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (SP), Basic Weapon Training (Primitive)
    Sword, Stub Revolver + 6 bullets, Crossbow and 10 bolts, flak vest, fork handles, charm, backpack, good quality clothing

Wounds: (d5+8)[11]
    Fate: (1d10)[10] - 3
    Cash Money: (5d10+300)[332] + 200/month
    Divination: (1d100)[99] - There Is No Substitute for Zeal - +2 Toughness, +2 WP

Background Package - Great Chantries of Tarsus - 200xp
    Int, Fel +5, Str, WS, BS -5

Peer (Ecclesiarchy)

XP Expenditure:
    Awareness 100xp
    Inquiry 100xp

WS 20 +4 -5 = 19
    BS 20+14-5 = 29
    S 20+9-5 = 24
    T 20+13-5 +2 = 30
    Ag 20 + 13 = 33
    Int 20 +14 +5 = 39
    Per: 20+19 = 39
    WP 20+15+2 = 37
    Fel 20+16+10 = 46

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only daughter of an upper-middle-hive family, Carys Hollingston was raised in relative comfort for a hive world, and showed an aptitude for the written word early on, including a childish desire to be a novelist. Prospects for a full universitariat scholarship were limited, and so Carys went from her schooling to one of the lower Chantries of tarsus, spending her teenage years studying under the ecclesiarchy, learning her scripture, and putting her creative writing abilities to use in the chantry newsletter. She never entirely had what the priests described as the "temperament" for Ecclesiarchial work, and so graduated into a typists job at the Tarsus Inquirer, from which she rapidly was promoted to become their "Society Correspondent", and with that and her family's money, to live a comfortable and independent lifestyle in an upper-mid-hive apartment, with a good income and succession of suitors.

The Tarsus Inquirer was Tarsus Hive's premier broadsheet, with a dedicated following across the mid and upper hives, carrying a mixture of business and planetary news, advertisments, and a section devoted to salacious gossip. The heavy hands of the Ecclesiarchy and the planetary government sat on the inquirer, with representatives of both in the newsroom, and the news that reached print was almost universally touched up by one or the other. Off-planet news was similarly edited, and often whole stories were redacted for the sakes of public morale and order. Similarly, the up-hive families that featured most strongly in the gossip sheets would often make requests for information to be omitted or prioritised - sometimes accompanied by a magnum of champagne in pre-emptive thanks, sometimes accompanied by a large man with a large pistol. Final word on the gossip would often come down to "our friends in the newsroom", as the journalists would refer to them, and those aristocrats who fell foul of the government or were condemned by the ministorum would typically find it far harder to keep a salacious story quiet. This was universally considered, by all, the cost of doing business, and in exchange for such arrangements the lobby journalists were permitted prime access to any organ of governance that wished to distribute some information. The fewer the questions asked about it's veracity, the happier anyone was.

Carys Callaghan - the name spiced up for her byline - rapidly rose to become the newspaper's best gossip journalist. With a knack for never annoying the wrong people too much, and the skills and connections required to obtain an invitation to nearly any party, she moved in all the right circles, whispered in all the right ears, and managed to return to the newsroom with some or other tidbit of gossip nearly every day, and regular articles delving deeper into the best stories. And, of course, every word of it passed through the ears of the government, and the ecclesiarchy before ever seeing newsprint - and who those ears then passed it on to was anyone's guess. Most recently, Carys presented the newsroom with incontrovertible evidence that filmstrip actor Viktor Valentin was "stepping out" (and staying in) with socialite Isadora Van Haal - to the great disapproval of both the Tarsus Filmstrip Guild and the wealthy House Van Haal - and her photographs were confiscated, and she was informed in no uncertain terms that the story would not run... but that she should still attend Valentin's party and gather what more information she could find.

What is your personality like? Carys frequently affects flightiness and flirtatiousness with the goal of getting people to underestimate her. Underneath, however, she's sharp, perceptive, and driven, with a nose for a story and an ascerbic wit - in print, at least.

What will you sacrifice? Carys has been asked to sacrifice very little in her life - but has not yet encountered a cause that will test her willingness to sacrifice.

What do you desire? Carys's main motivations thus far have been for her personal prestige and gain, but when hooked in on a good story she'll go to great lengths to track down the truth

What do you hate? Carys wouldn't consider herself an especially hateful person, but as well as the usual justified distrust of the mutant and the alien, she has an abiding dislike of secrets and secrecy.

How do you feel about the Imperium? Carys has never known anything other than the imperium. As an uphive lady, she thinks it's working perfectly well, even if it does seem a little rough for the folks down below. She's attended fundraisers for them.

How do you feel about the law? Carys finds the law an excellent tool that can be invoked in her protection, or to place a moral sheen on some less important piece of gossip, but considers some aspects of it restrictive to her work, and is not above the occasional rulebreaking- or association with rulebreakers - to get the results she wants.

Gear and backstory TBC.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-06-07 at 07:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

rax: Schola Progenium might be a bit more difficult, I suppose, but I think there are plenty of ways for Noble Borns to go off the rails. In either case, I'm happy for you to explore the ideas further with some fluff for how they fit together, and I could give you more explicitly detailed feedback on that.

(Edit) Also, LeSwordfish, if you happened to want to change focus of either your Peer or Trade (Valet) skills to a different Peer/Trade skill respectively, I'm open to that. Minor changes in starting skills like that are on the table for everyone, given that we're gonna be interpreting careers a bit flexibly.

Edit 2: Edit Boogaloo: oh, just remembered Peer (Ecclesiarchy) comes from the background package, so that might not make as much sense to swap out. But still, I'm open to suggestion.

Edit 2: Part 2: Edit Harder: rax, there's always the Blighted(?) Schola option from the Radical's Handbook – might be a possibility for why a progena ends up on the wrong side of the law, or otherwise in a less-than-ideal position.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-05-30 at 12:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Very cool character concept, LeSwordfish. I can't wait to meet her.

@Thragka: Would a forger be useful in this game? I'm thinking Adept-based, with Trade (Copyist) being the skill used to create false documents. I'm also thinking of getting Drive (Ground Vehicle) and Pilot (Civilian Craft), to double as our getaway driver.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I could definitely see a forger being an interesting character! Sounds like someone who knows how to get both into and out of trouble.

15. - Top - End - #15

I'll make my Fate Points roll right away. I know I said I didn't want to let it influence my decision, but... (d10)[6]

Hive Worlder it is, then.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-05-30 at 12:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

(Edit) Also, LeSwordfish, if you happened to want to change focus of either your Peer or Trade (Valet) skills to a different Peer/Trade skill respectively, I'm open to that. Minor changes in starting skills like that are on the table for everyone, given that we're gonna be interpreting careers a bit flexibly.

Edit 2: Edit Boogaloo: oh, just remembered Peer (Ecclesiarchy) comes from the background package, so that might not make as much sense to swap out. But still, I'm open to suggestion.
    I'll be honest, the background package is a cheesy mechanical choice since otherwise i'm a four-digit amount of XP away from Charm or Scrutiny, both of which feel very appropriate for a journalist, and negatives to Strength and fighting skills feels appropriate for a civilian character. I was thinking of writing something up to take into account her surprisingly close ties with the Ecclesiarchy - perhaps she literally was raised in the Chantries and dropped out? Something like that. I don't want to take advantage of your generosity in allowing exchanges by making my shameless power choice more powerful.

What I would like to swap, if swaps are on the table, is Common Knowledge: Imperial Creed for Common Knowledge: Tarsus Hive (or something similar, perhaps high-hive specific?) and how would you feel about some sort of Trade: Writer skill? I'm not sure Copyist feels appropriate for writing an entertaining article, constructing a narrative, etc etc etc.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking of rolling up an Upper Hive Priest, disgraced for burning his host family for heresy unproven.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    (2d10)[7]
    (2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[9]
    (2d10)[18]
    (2d10)[8]
    (2d10)[18]
    (2d10)[11]
    (2d10)[12]
    And the Extra: (2d10)[13]
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be honest, the background package is a cheesy mechanical choice since otherwise i'm a four-digit amount of XP away from Charm or Scrutiny, both of which feel very appropriate for a journalist, and negatives to Strength and fighting skills feels appropriate for a civilian character. I was thinking of writing something up to take into account her surprisingly close ties with the Ecclesiarchy - perhaps she literally was raised in the Chantries and dropped out? Something like that. I don't want to take advantage of your generosity in allowing exchanges by making my shameless power choice more powerful.

What I would like to swap, if swaps are on the table, is Common Knowledge: Imperial Creed for Common Knowledge: Tarsus Hive (or something similar, perhaps high-hive specific?) and how would you feel about some sort of Trade: Writer skill? I'm not sure Copyist feels appropriate for writing an entertaining article, constructing a narrative, etc etc etc.
    Off the cuff, I'd prefer not to do too much surgery on background packages, so we don't risk unbalancing them too much. I think it would fit best if Carys did go through one of the Chantries, maybe a less prestigious one, but then decided she wasn't that interested in a life in service to the Creed, either ordained or as a lay devotee – in that case, shifting from an education in the Creed and politics to a more salacious focus on Hive scandal sounds pretty plausible.

I'm quite happy for you to swap Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy) for Common Lore (Hive Tarsus), let's say. With regards to Trade (Copyist), I'm fine with either interpreting that in Carys's case to be her journalistic skills, or giving her Trade (Writer) instead, so that's up to you. I suppose, in either case, for her to create an article &c. I would occasionally ask for that to be tested against Fellowship instead of Intelligence, depending on context.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Thinking about background for my guardsman, idea I had for his consideration to becoming an acolyte is that as he was working bodyguard detail for some noble family of Hive Tarsus, he happened to catch sight of them performing some bizarre ritual in secret. Maybe as he was trying to work out what he saw or what to do about it, he was approached by an inquisitorial agent that managed to convince to confide in them about it, resulting in the nobles later being taken in and him losing his post. Now with no immediate assignments, he's inclined (i.e. desperate) to perform tasks for his agent?

20. - Top - End - #20

Kaptin Keen: I have to say I'm disinclined to loan anyone extra XP at character creation unless it's for a good reason – I think free assignment of characteristic rolls already gives folks freedom to tweak their ideas. Is there a particular reason you feel Carver needs to take an extra advance right away? This is not to say I don't like the idea of the character, though. He definitely feels appropriate to the tone. I'm not sure if you consider the fluff totally finished, or just the mechanics. I'd like to know more about whom exactly he ratted out to the authorities and why.
    It's not a good reason - it's just RNG. No roll above 13 is ... abysmal. I wouldn't say it's unplayable, but every single other character has way higher max stats. Xenopax's I think has a lower average, but two rolls of 18.

So there's no good reason, but ... well, it's just either roll again, or not play. Or take 50 xp to get an early upgrade to not make Carver always be the weakest link in the chain. And even then, it's at the expense of not having any other skills or talents from the start of the game.

If you want something specific for the backstory, that's not a problem. What I went for was more of a tone of character: He's ratted out everyone - friends, enemies, colleagues. He's whispered in ears to turn friends against each other, or to pour promethium on already smoldering enmities. It's not that he's good at it (his fellowship is awful), but he's like Grima Wormtongue - lying to gain an advantage is just his mode of communication. That's also why life has been so hard for him: People don't trust him, and he rarely proves them wrong.

But for something concrete? The bloodbath mentioned in the background was between the Galvanus Cartel, a quasi-legal small arms production fane, and an underhive gang led by Xristobal de Fleur. The two were reluctant allies, with the gang providing security and certain raw materials for the Cartel, and the Cartel providing the gang with weapons and cash. Carver found proof of illegal activities in both camps, and reported both to the enforcers - but managing to pretend they reported each other. So in the end, they nearly wiped each other out, and the enforcers mopped up the rest, leaving a nice power vacuum for Carver to exploit.

Circling back to the start: It's not that I particularly want the 50 extra xp. But I want a character who's par for the course.

21. - Top - End - #21

Various bookkeeping stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shuffled my stats a bit.

WS: 31
    BS: 34
    S: 32 + 3 = 35 (Imperial divination)
    T: 27
    Ag: 38
    Int: 39 + 5 = 44 (advance)
    Per: 33 + 5 = 38 (advance)
    WP: 34
    Fel: 37

Starting money: 100 + (d10)[8] Thrones

XP expenditure:
    • +5 Intelligence
    • +5 Perception
    • Drive (Ground Vehicle)
    • Pilot (Civilian Craft)

Gear expenditures:
    • Quilted vest (10 Thrones)
    • Knife (5 Thrones)
    • Micro-bead (20 Thrones)
    • 12 dumdum bullets (10 Thrones)
    • Documents for a backup identity (28 Thrones)

@ Thragka: Will you allow my character, a forger, to start out with documents for an entire backup identity for himself? He's definitely the well-prepared sort.

Will you also allow me some dumdum bullets? They are Scarce, but since Adepts start only with a revolver, I might as well have good ammo to begin with. My character hangs out with criminals, so he's no ordinary pen-pusher.

Name: Nathias Falkner

Appearance: A young man of medium-short stature, thin build, elfin features and light-brown skin, Nathias is easy to miss and easy to forget, and would not have it any other way. He deliberately cultivates an inconspicuous appearance: short black hair, no facial hair (not that he is able to grow any), and clean but common-looking clothes in drab colors. He wears glasses that he does not actually need; always ready to take them off if his description as a “bespectacled man” begins to circulate. (In 21st century terms, Nathias looks South Asian.)

Personality: More to come.

Background: Families from the bureaucrat class of Hive Tarsus tend to be too overworked and unsentimental to have many children, and often only have them out of a sense of duty to the hive. Percival and Beatriz Merkerey were no exception. They had only one child, who they named Adriana and raised to follow in their footsteps. Stuffy and conformist in the extreme, they were baffled and even a bit alarmed when their child began asking from a young age to be called Adrian, or Kurt, or Nathias.

Nathias Falkner, born Adriana Merkerey, has always known that he was not a girl, despite all evidence to the contrary. As he grew older, he became adept at playing along, fearful of persecution by the narrow-minded. He joined the Hive Tarsus bureaucracy like his parents before him and spent his days filling out various identity papers, diplomas and licences. In his rare spare time, his closest thing to a hobby was creating documents for people who did not exist; people he would much rather be than an Administratum quill-pusher with “Name: MERKEREY, Adriana; Gender: F”. It was not his initial intent for his forgeries to ever be used, but once he found himself with an entire set of documents under the name of Nathias Falkner that included a driver’s licence and a pilot’s licence, the gears in his head began turning—if he really wanted to be Nathias, what was to stop him from doing so? He borrowed a considerable amount of money for driving and piloting lessons, never intending to repay a single throne. Once he felt ready, he grabbed his new documents, destroyed all of his old ones, and simply disappeared. Adriana Merkerey was no more; indeed, in Nathias’ view, Adriana had never been a real person, only a mask that others forced him to wear.

Nathias’ first few months in the lower hive were difficult. Having led a very sheltered life until then, he was mugged and swindled more times than he could count and often ended up hab-less. He eventually found work as a cabbie for a personal transportation guild. His search for drugs or hormones that helped him feel more at home in his own body brought him in contact with the criminal element, and he began to earn extra money on the side creating forged documents for all sorts of shadowy characters, including con artists, assassins, wanted criminals, spies, and an Ordo Hereticus agent from off-world on a mission to investigate a local cult. The latter was impressed with Nathias’ quiet competence and added him to the Inquisition’s list of “useful people to know in Hive Tarsus”. Soon a large part of Nathias’ clientele were agents of the Inquisition, though Nathias himself is none the wiser; a good forger does not ask too many questions.

Career: Adept (Archivist)

WS BS S T Ag Int Per WP Fel
    31 34 35 27 38 44 38 34 37

Wounds: 9/9
    Fate: 2/2
    Corruption:
    Insanity:

Skills: Common Lore (Imperium, Tech), Drive (Ground Vehicle), Literacy, Pilot (Civilian Craft), Speak Language (Low Gothic), Trade (Copyist)
    Talents: Light Sleeper, Pistol Training (SP), Unremarkable
    Traits: Accustomed To Crowds, Caves Of Steel, Hivebound, Wary

Armor: Quilted vest (Body 2, primitive)
    Weapons: Stub revolver, 12 dumdum bullets, 6 bullets, knife
    Gear: Common clothes, micro-bead, auto-quill, chrono, data-slate, backpack, set of documents for a backup identity ("Kurt Henneker").
    Money: 25 Thrones (monthly income: 100)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-05-31 at 02:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Before I begin building, I'd like to see from the GM whether this is a good enough idea for the Inquisition to get him selected for monitoring, while still not making him too exposed to the point he needs to be put down.

There was a noble family that had him be their personal priest. He was fiery, teaching them of the ways of the Emperor, the way his ancestors had always done for their line. However, one of the sons who had been sent off to war came back with the taint of Slaanesh corruption on him, which spread throughout their line. Knowing that the priest would have picked up on it, he had been sent to some of their manufactorums to raise morale. When he came back, almost every single one of the family had been either turned into a cultist or made to disappear. However, they'd been revealed by an acolyte and were about to be purged...when the same acolyte made a secondary report that the entire hive spire had been destroyed. [To be named] had used his connections as a loyal priest of man, and a small group of followers, to rig explosives all across the spires power source, causing the thing (and most of the surrounding area) to be destroyed. [To be named] expected to survive this, but by the emperor's grace he was merely burned as punishment for letting them fall so far, and now preaches in the underhives like any other imperial preacher.
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

So for now I'm thinking of doing a Blighted Schola Adept?

Spoiler: Concept
    Show
    The idea is basically his parents were Helot Cultists, and offered him up for training/service to the head of the cult. So he was raised as a disciple of the cult, only to turn on them and basically help blow the whole thing wide open for the inquisition.

That still leaves him as an adept with a highly inappropriate skillset outside of either a cult, or the inquisition. Trying to adapt to normal imperial life while the inquisition keeps an eye on him, until they can decide if they want to make use of those skills or not.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Darn, I don't check the forum this morning and this pops up

Posting serious interest, going to start by rolling stat block. Will have to go back and see what people are posting to find a gap in characters/skills/needs

(2d10)[5][9](14)
    (2d10)[5][6](11)
    (2d10)[7][8](15)
    (2d10)[2][5](7)
    (2d10)[10][5](15)
    (2d10)[3][9](12)
    (2d10)[5][4](9)
    (2d10)[10][10](20)
    (2d10)[3][9](12)
    (2d10)[4][1](5)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Hi Haval =)

I like the idea that the Tarsus Underhive is on the hive roof so I'll probably do something with that. She's a thief and burglar who is part of a criminal gang who occasionally descends to rob the more lightly defended parts of the mid hive. It would be more about knowing enough tech to navigate the ruined sections of the hive then being able to climb well, so would take Reclaimator or Sibellus Scrounger from Book of Judgement.

Presumably she's an asset because she attracted the wrong kind of attention and was persuaded to inform on people in the Underworld to avoid whatever terrible fate the Inquisition said would happen if she didn't. She doesn't really know anything heretical but she knows a lot of people who might be worth the Inquisition keeping an eye on.

Spoiler: Nuala Sayed (Reclaimator / Scum)
    Show

Nuala Sayed
    Hive Tarsus Overhiver - Scintilla

Rank 1 (Reclaimator)

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Nuala looks like an Overhiver to anyone from Hive Tarsus. She is a dark skinned woman who is scrawny from childhood illness and a lack of food growing up. She has shoulder length black fair that she keeps tied back under a hood that she wears in a bid to keep the sun off. She usually wears the functional if much repaired clothing of a munitorum worker that she stole herself years ago while on a job.

Stats
    WS 28
    BS 32
    S 30
    T 30
    Ag 38
    Per 33 (+2 Divination)
    Int 34
    Wp 31
    Fel 33

Wounds 11
    Fate 3
    XP: 400 / 400

Thrones: 12
    Divination: Know the Mutant, Kill the Mutant (+2 Per)

Skills
    Awareness +10
    Blather
    Common Lore (Imperium)
    Deceive
    Dodge
    Evaluate
    Speak Language (Low Gothic, Tarsus Hive Dialect)
    Tech-Use

Talents
    Basic (SP)
    Melee (Prim)
    Pistol (SP)
    Unremarkable

Traits
    Accustomed to Crowds
    Caves of Steel
    Hivebound
    Wary

Gear
    Autogun and 1 clip (gun sold for 50 thrones)
    Autopistol and 1 clip
    Club
    Knife
    Quilted Vest
    Dirty Coveralls (PQ clothing)

Buying
    Clip Harness 25
    Filtration plugs 15

Advances
    Rank 1
    Tech-Use (200)
    Awareness +10 (100)
    Evaluate (100)

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Nuala Sayed was born in a slum in the shadow of three disused smoke stacks on the roof of Hive Tarsus. The three chimneys provide shelter from the desert sandstorms and a degree of shade but it is still largely a collection of hovels built from whatever the people living there could scavenge from the abandoned parts of the Hive. For most of the people living in the Overhive, scavenging and petty crime are necessarily a way of life, and they are obliged to steal and make use of whatever they can find to help them survive.

Nuala had to take a more active role in helping her family after her Dad died in a Hivequake and she and her younger sister Aoife took up positions in his old gang. The alternative, in going to work to one of the more powerful Overhive criminal organisations, was distasteful to her. Their boss was Adelaida, who claimed to be a disgraced and exiled member of the Guild Peripatetica of Ambulon. Nuala has no idea if that was true, but the older woman was suspiciously well informed and taught Nuala everything she knew about matters of tech.

Over the next few years, their gang ranged across the accessible parts of the Overhive and descended into the mostly abandoned levels just below them in search of archeotech that they could subsequently sell on to various midhive fences. Even up there, a lot of what they took had prior owners, with Scintillan nobles and Calixis trading houses often claiming property rights on equipment that they had mostly forgotten about. There was no reason to stop there either and their gang often descended to the midhive to anywhere that they could make a good score. The local Enforcers were well used to this and tended to go after anyone who looked like an Overhiver, just on the off chance they were up to something.

Having avoided arrest once or twice, Nuala was hoping to make enough to allow her to forge papers for herself, her mother, and her sister that would allow them to move down to the midhive permanently as if they had always been living there. Breaking into a storage warehouse that was supposedly tied to House Krin was supposed to be the well paying last job that could get her a better life, but it was there that her luck ran out. The job itself went smoothly, but a man would later meet her in the Overhive bar, the Scaldbat’s Rest to show her a recording of herself and her gang in the warehouse. Nuala was told that she would be an informant for the Enforcers as long as they needed or else her gang, including her sister, would be arrested and thrown into the darkest prison down near the Noble districts at the Hive base. If she really stepped out of line, the man would simply pass on her name and location to House Krin, who were known to not take the theft of their property lightly. There was really no question of Nuala refusing to go along with this.

Personality
    Nuala is mostly a driven person. She thinks she remembers being happier when she was younger and her Dad was still alive, but after seeing more of the Hive she is mostly angry at her situation and how the people living on the lower levels of Tarsus could easily fix the Overhive if they really wanted to. The knowledge she’s picked up from Adelaida offers it’s own kind of escape but she already knows that most of the actual Mechanicus would probably see her as a criminal and heretek if she even dared ask for proper training.

Why is Nuala an asset?
    In truth she's not sure what she might have given up to the authorities or what consequences it'll have. Since being forced to be an informant Nuala has sent several reports to her mysterious handler on the activities of various criminal organisations in the Overhive and elsewhere. As far as she knows, none of these reports have led to arrests or any kind of negative consequences, but some of these groups, like the Zaidhi family have a reputation on what they do to police informers. It is only a matter of time, and Nuala can only be so careful. Someone always finds out.

What do you think of the Imperium?
    Nuala only knows the wider Imperium through the stories of exiles and criminals. Even so she would really like to see more of the galaxy outside Hive Tarsus. Even if it’s disappointing or horrifying it represents opportunities that she knows she’s unlikely to get staying in Tarsus. Getting out of the Overhive would only be the first step.

Relationship to the spirit and the letter of the law?
    While there are some laws dealing with murder and the like that are very good in theory Nuala has seen no evidence that the Enforcer care enough to enforce them to everyone equally. Most of what the law is for is to suppress people who the Hive wants suppressing. The law can be ignored whenever you can get away with it and probably should be

What will you sacrifice?
    As Nuala is someone who has very little she would ideally prefer to hold on to what she has for as long as possible. If she can get out of Hive Tarsus honestly there is very little that would she wouldn't sacrifice if she thought it was worth it. Her friends and family are the exception.

What do you desire?
    To be able to learn more about tech then she can learn where she is, and to have enough money that she doesn't have to worry about where her next meal is coming from.

What do you hate?
    People who misuse their authority and particularly those who have been born into power and don't care enough to use it carefully.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

Appearance
    24 years old, dark skinned because Tarsus is in a desert, thin to the point of gauntness because she didn't eat well growing up, longish messy black hair, ragged functional clothing, black hood to keep the sun off

How did she become involved with the Inquisition?
    She met a man in a bar who had a recording of her and others robbing a storage warehouse with ties to House Krinn. She was told that she was expected to pass on information regularly or the recording and her name would be passed onto Krinn agents who are not known for taking the theft of their property lightly.

Who or what has she told the Inquisition?
    As far as she knows, none of what she's passed on has led to any arrests or any apparent consequences. She has only given regular reports on the activities of a few prominent criminal organisations that she's fenced items to in the past. All of these groups are very scary. The Zahidi family alone has a reputation for what it does to anyone it finds talking to the Enforcers. So it's only a matter of time until someone finds out who she's been talking to, and she would very much like to get out from under this.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A few more rolls

Fate - (1d10)[8]
    Thrones - (1d5)[2]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(2d10)[11]
    (2d10)[10]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[13]
    (2d10)[12]
    (2d10)[3]
    (2d10)[15]
    (2d10)[7]
    (2d10)[4]
    (2d10)[13]

Well thats a big nope.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2020-05-30 at 11:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. It's not letting me edit my post, but I wanted to clarify that all that stuff in my background happened at hive Sibellus, and he moved to Hive Tarsus afterwards.
    Games that I am in

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

WIP #1

Spoiler: Belchior, Tech-Priest
    Show
    Belchior

[IMG]x[/IMG]

Home World: Gunmetal City - Scintilla (Hive World)
    Career Path: Tech-Priest

Characteristics
    WS
    BS
    S
    T
    Ag
    Int
    Per
    WP
    Fel

Movement: 3/6/9/18

Current Wounds: 13/13

Fate Points (used/total): 0/3

Corruption: 0

Insanity: 0

Skills: Deceive (Fel), Inquiry (Fel), Literacy (Int), Secret Tongue (Tech) (Int), Speak Language (Low Gothic, Metallican Hive Dialect) (Int), Tech-Use (Int), Trade (Copyist) (Int)

Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Las), Electro Graft Use (+10 to Common Lore, Inquiry, and Tech-Use tests whilst connected to data point), Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (Las, SP)

Traits: Hivebound, Fabricated Flesh, Mechanicus Implants, Packing Iron, Wary, Way of the Gun

Armour: Flak Vest (Body 3)

Weapons: Las carbine (60m; S/2/–; 1d10+2 or 1d10+3 E; Pen 0; Clip 40 or 20; Rld Full; Reliable), laspistol (30m; S/–/–; 1d10+2 or 1d10+3 E; Pen 0; Clip 30 or 15; Rld Full; Reliable), metal staff (1d10+3 I; Pen 0; Balanced, Primitive), knife (3m; 1d5+3 R; Pen 0; Primitive)

Gear: 1 charge pack for laspistol, 1 charge pack for las carbine, glow lamp, data-slate, Mechanicus robes and vestments (Good Quality Clothing), 1d10 spare parts (power cells, wires, chronometers, etc.), vial of Sacred Machine Oil, 155 Thrones.

Monthly Income: 150 Thrones (Mechanicus)

Special Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hivebound: –10 penalty to all Survival (Int) tests. While out of “proper hab”, he takes a –5 penalty to all Intelligence tests.
    Fabricated Flesh: Cyber-mantle is fully hidden by vat-grown skin, and any augmetics or bionic limbs appear to be part of his body, or at least as common augmetics that many within the Imperium possess. A Hard (–20) Scrutiny or Tech-Use test is required to notice any significantly off-putting signs of his mechanical parts that mark him as a Tech-Priest. So long as his augmentations aren't distractingly noticeable, he gains a +5 bonus to all Fellowship-based tests when dealing with Imperial citizens outside of the Adeptus Mechanicus.
    Mechanicus Implants: Has received the following implants: electro-graft, electoo inductors, respirator unit (+20 bonus to resist airborne toxins and gas weapons), cyber-mantle, potentia coil, cranial circuitry.
    Packing Iron: Suffers a –5 penalty to all tests if he is ever without a usable gun.
    Wary: +1 bonus to Initiative rolls.
    Way of the Gun: Gain +5 BS and begin play with Pistol Training (SP) talent. Gain a +5 bonus on Tech Use tests involving projectile firearms.

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    33 years old, native of Gunmetal City, Dross Hound class.

Personality
    Spoiler
    Show
    x.

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wiry build (1.75m, 65kg), fair skin, ginger hair, green eyes, set of piercings or bullet wound scar.

Experience and Advances
    Spoiler
    Show
    Experience (current/total): 0/400

Rank 1 (Factor of the Lathes)
    +5 T = 100
    +5 Int = 100
    Deceive = 100 (Factor)
    Inquiry = 100 (Factor)
    = 400

Other Notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting Characteristics incl. character creation modifiers: WS 31, BS 34, S 32, T 29, Ag 32, Int 38, Per 30, WP 30, Fel 40
    Hive World: WS 20, BS 20, S 20, T 15, Ag 20, Int 20, Per 20, WP 20, Fel 25
    Way of the Gun: +5 BS
    Divination: "Thought begets heresy; heresy begets retribution" (+3 S)
    Last edited by rax; 2020-06-05 at 01:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

InAction: That definitely is along the lines of the sort of background I was imagining. The idea of being a private bodyguard is definitely a good role for a guardsman. I'd suggest removing the aspect of being directly in contact with the Inquisition, since that's something the PCs shouldn't necessarily have done before the start of the game. But if he did subtly turn his patron family in to the authorities, that sounds pretty good. Of course, having done so is not without risks: it sounds like he may have made some powerful enemies in his former employers' peers and family ...

Kaptin Keen: Maybe you and I just have our expectations pitched differently, but I don't think your rolls look desperately low – sure, the 4 and 6 are outliers, but given that 11 is the expectation on a 2d10 roll, everything else is around average. You actually left off rolling a second d10 on that second tenth roll! That would add (1d10)[8] to the tenth score, so maybe that gives you some more flexibility?

I like what you've sketched out for Carver so far, so would be sorry if you don't feel the rolls are workable (even after the missing d10 above). Here's an option – if you really don't like your original rolls, you can generate characteristics again, but this time more by-the-book: rolled in order, with one re-roll and also one swap allowed.

-Sentinel-: You can purchase dum-dum bullets, that's not a problem. Nathias can also start with the forged identity, with a deduction of (2d10+15)[28] thrones for the cost of creating it. If it can fit with the concept, I would specifically like Nathias to have intentionally and consciously ratted somebody out to the authorities in some way – though I do like the idea of him being much more prominent on the Inquisition's radar than he ever suspects before he gets roped into events of the game.

Xenopax: To be honest, I think a priest single-handedly organising the detonation of a hive spire is probably a bit much – that sounds like a fast track to being made a full-fledged Acolyte, rather than just an asset that the authorities are keeping an eye on. Perhaps you could tone it down a bit?

druid91: I think Helot cults are first specific to Necromunda (could be wrong here though), and second probably a bit too extreme for such an informant to be allowed to lead the semblance of a regular life – similar to Xenopax's character concept, I feel like such a person would be strong-armed into working directly for the Inquisition in exchange for their life. But I think the general idea of a Blighted Schola progena adept trying to stay off the radar has a lot of potential.

Haval: The Sibellus Scrounger and the Reclaimator are two options that I think would suit really well for this game, so a good call. This sounds like a great draft for a character – again, I'd just reiterate that ideally the PCs haven't had any direct or regular contact with the Inquisition before the game begins. But tweaking that to simply being an asset for, say Enforcers instead would be totally fine.

rax: I'll reply to your PM once I read it thoroughly – I've only glanced over it as of yet today. :)
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-05-31 at 09:55 AM.