New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Psionic or Incarnum (including PF and quality homebrew) undead for Dread Necromancer?

I'm looking for some options for a Dread Necromancer with both essentia pool and a power point pool to be able to leverage those to make their zombies and skeletons better. Is there anything to do that in 3.5e, Pathfinder, or even the quality homebrew options? Are there any Essentia or Psionics options for unintelligent undead in general? I'm not adverse to homebrew, but the more such a thing can be anchored in existing creatures and flavor and such, and the higher quality it is, the better. What about more advanced undead options than just trying to boost those two basic types?

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic or Incarnum (including PF and quality homebrew) undead for Dread Necroman

There's not much. Neither subsystem is particularly bothered about undead. There are a few negative energy powers and you can get a necrocarnum zombie and use your spells and powers to boost the eminently disposable minion but all in all that's about it.

If you're an actual meldshaper, there's all kinds of fun stuff you can do with soulmelds. Soulcaster is an obvious option in that case.

Just having a pool of pp makes this http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../psm/20031225a immensely more useful. Permanent tattoos are one of the cheapest ways to get certain effects. Cerebremancer exists but it's a little rough of you can't pull an early entry trick.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Psionic or Incarnum (including PF and quality homebrew) undead for Dread Necroman

Aren't there Pathfinder equivalents to both systems? Even if 3rd party, where some options might show up?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Aren't there Pathfinder equivalents to both systems? Even if 3rd party, where some options might show up?
    There are. I'm not familiar enough with them to comment.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Host of Heroes Aegis with the Psibertech (3pp), "Necrotic Scourge Augmentation."

Allows you to become psuedo undead, with the option to both create spawn and control spawn. You even get the ability to be immune to Command effects and such. You can augment this further by using Initiator's Soul to grab the Black Seraph and Unquiet Grave disciplines, also gaining access to Channel Energy from your Monomyth.

At level 18, if you decide to use the role of Archmage, you can take the Magecraft customization 4 times to gain Animate Dead as a spell-like ability (i.e. without need for a material component).

At that point, you truly are a Dread Necromancer. You also have access to Akashic Mysteries, too. Though the only veil that I can think of to interact with undead is a Vizier Ring veil, so...YMMV.