New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Blade-Bound Magus (Uses A war-Axe)

Going to be starting part two of a home game my group played back when we played 3.5

Well my build can no longer be done as we now play pathfinder

I'm trying to keep as loyal to my character as I can and so I'm going Magus as it a Gish Type. The thing is I know Most Magus Gear toward using High Critical weapon. How ever in one of my story lines I gain access to a customer weapon that was a rather "Large great Axe" ( Medium ) that had Earth Base abilities . Well in the game I am going blade bound Magus and my Gm is redoing my Axe as a War-Axe to make it work with the class. Since depending on Grits well spell striking is out what build design should I do. And what feats and Arcana should I take

I am level 8 human

No traits allowed

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Blade-Bound Magus (Uses A war-Axe)

Can you give a rundown on what the previous character was? There may be easier/more accurate ways to do it, or if you're homebrewing adjustments anyways it might be something that just ports over pretty readily. If not, and you have to recreate it as best as you can within Pathfinder mechanics, it would still be helpful to know what you're trying to recreate - otherwise you're not going to get advice on how to remake your character/how to best match the image and feel you want, you're just going to get generic 'this is good stuff for a Magus to have' advice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Can you give a rundown on what the previous character was? There may be easier/more accurate ways to do it, or if you're homebrewing adjustments anyways it might be something that just ports over pretty readily. If not, and you have to recreate it as best as you can within Pathfinder mechanics, it would still be helpful to know what you're trying to recreate - otherwise you're not going to get advice on how to remake your character/how to best match the image and feel you want, you're just going to get generic 'this is good stuff for a Magus to have' advice.
    He was a battle Sorcerer (I took another Alt class feature) and he prestige as soon as possible Swift Blade. Before he got his axe he used a short sword and was a skirmisher Type. He focused on spells that buffed him

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, a striker magus does want his crit range, but you don't have to go the SG route. You could try debuffing while skirmishing with Frostbite, Rime Spell and Enforcer (if your earth axe has any more debuffing tricks, all the better), or you could focus on Int and play more like a caster than a martial.

You can still play the offensive striker, mind you. A waraxe is stronger than a scimitar, after all. You could double down on sustained damage, again via spells like Frostbite or Chill Touch. Your nova will suffer a bit, that's true, but a regular Intensified Shocking Grasp still hurts.

Oh, and here's a guide.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2020-05-31 at 10:17 AM.