New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default How does Destruction Retribution affect very low hit dice zombies?

So, say you wanted to make a zombie Weasel with Destruction Retribution. It starts with a partial hit dice, which I believe is utterly replaced with a single d12 when it becomes undead, and then the Zombie template adds another hit dice, for two. Now, Destruction Retribution says '1d6 damage plus 1d6 per 2 hit dice'. Does that mean that a Weasel Zombie is 2d12 hit dice (so it's hit points would be 6+6+3 from the toughness feat all zombies have), and that when it's destruction retribution goes off, it deals 2d6 damage? Thanks!
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-05-31 at 02:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How does Destruction Retribution affect very low hit dice zombies?

The weasel starts with 1/2 a d8, which is doubled to 1d12. The resulting zombie thus deals 1d6 points of damage.

I played in a great campaign where the DM used legions of small zombies with destruction retribution to divebomb the party to terrifying effect.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    The weasel starts with 1/2 a d8, which is doubled to 1d12. The resulting zombie thus deals 1d6 points of damage.

I played in a great campaign where the DM used legions of small zombies with destruction retribution to divebomb the party to terrifying effect.
    I thought no matter what, the creature was made to have a d12, THEN an extra hit dice was added due to zombie?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The order as presented in the zombie template is to double HD, then raise them to d12s. The bit in the template reads
    "Drop any Hit Dice from class levels (to a minimum of 1), double the number of Hit Dice left, and raise them to d12s."
    The minimum 1 here is about making zombies of say, human warriors, because if they dropped all HD from class levels they'd be left with 0 normally.
    The weasel here has no class levels, so simply starts with the 1/2 HD. Zombie's CR chart goes all the way down to 1/2 HD, which is my other evidence that zombies of less than 2 HD can exist.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards