New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Good, rleiable extensive online storage?

I am tentatively investigating into online storage for the sole purpose of having off-site data back up.

My on-site back up consists of an internal secondary HDD, a periodically backed-up to external HDD, a just-about big enough 16gig flash drive and a big pile of old DVD and CD back-ups (going back to 1998), but I'm at the point where DVD back-up is no longer practical because just my CAD files alone are now over 10gig. (I have sporadically updated off-site back-up, such when I occasionally dumped the flash-drive back-up on Nanny's computer, though as she's now gone into car and it not expected to come out, that will not be a viable option forever.)

Said back-up facility needs to be capable of holding low tens of Gig bare minimum (as I say, my 16gig flash drive is only just barely big enough, and the number of files to be backed up grows as the model catalogue and everything else expands).

I am already out of pretty much of of the free range (google's 15gig is going to be sufficient), so I am tenatively looking at other options (tenatively because it's another expense I have to find).

It also needs to be reliable because it needs to be a service that lasts for the forseeable future. (Though this is, admittedly, less important that something like image hosting.)

It not interested in sychronisation or anything (I in fact explictly do not want back-up to be synchornised in case I need to roll back something, as despite the multiple-files per model issues, mistakes happen), nor in any more facility than "place that will serve as an emergancy back-up if the house burns down." (I already pay a huge amount of pennies for my image-hosting site, for example, so I don't need functionality like that.)

So, first obvious one is paying for mnore storage at google, which is relatively cheap. Downside: it's google, who have a reputation for just deciding to abandon stuff if they decided they don't like it.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-31 at 08:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Good, rleiable extensive online storage?

Amazon S3 is the first thing that comes to mind, especially if you're infrequently accessing the backups. About 2 cents per-GB per-month for the storage cost. Shouldn't go away any time soon; AWS keeps even their lesser-used services around for a long time, and S3's one of their core services.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Microsoft OneDrive? We use it at work, and you get a free 1Tb of storage if you pay the £60 a year for Office 365 (which also gives you access to the Office apps as well), or 100Gb of storage alone will set you back £2 a month. The client is built in to Windows, too, so if you use that then you already have everything you need.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

S3, OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox

All are worth looking at and will have different tradeoffs.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I pay for 100 GB of Google Drive storage ($20/year in the U.S.). I use rclone to create an encrypted backup of my hard drive in my Google drive, since I don't like the idea of Google being able to scan all of my files.