New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question How to optimize naked characters with no Items?

How would you build the most effective character that is completely naked and have absolutely no items (including no spellcasting focus/components)?

Clarification #1:

To clarify, I mean "most effective" as in most effective in an actual play scenario where a PC would be without items (e.g., night ambush and invaders successfully steal the PC's equipment, or the PC is in a prison cell without any items). I recognize that being effective in the night ambush scenario (mostly combat) would require a different skillset than the jailbreak scenario (non-combat with the possibility of combat), so I assume a build won't be optimized for both (or neither, if you have another scenario in mind, please share!).

My initial thoughts were:

1. Unarmed build
    2. Summoned weapons build
    3. Caster build that can work well in these scenarios without spells that require material component

Not sure if I missed any concepts. Any and all build ideas are welcomed!

Clarification #2:

• No UA. Only officially published materials.
    • Using point buy or standard array.
    • If possibly, kindly build to 20 with explanation of the workings of the build at levels 5, 11, 17 and 20 (and any other level you feel is helpful!).
    • Muticlassing okay.
    • Feats okay.
    • Variant races okay.

Many thanks in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: How to optimize naked characters with no Items?

So a crit fish build of some type I imagine... if we are naked we are invisible aren't we?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean... The obvious one is Monk 20.

The other one is Moon Druid 20.

Maybe Barbarian would do okay? Strength-based, Unarmored Defense, bonus damage from Rage...
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I made a whole party of characters like this, all just PHB-based. Obviously, nobody is completely effective without gear, but some designs are much less gear-dependent than others ... They were:

An Elf Monk
    An obvious choice. Weapons are useful but not crucial at low levels, and rapidly become less and less important. No real reliance on armor or other gear. Ranged combat is a pain point for this character.

A Human Barbarian
    This character took the Tavern Brawler feat at first level. She still carried and used weapons when available, but had somewhat effective unarmed fighting ability, especially while raging. Downside: even more MAD than the Monk, with strong requirements for Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity. Also similar challenges at range. This was the second-least effective character in the group, but not by a huge margin.

A Half-elf Druid
    Casters are challenging, as many spells require material components. Druids are one of the better casters from this point of view, and also have the Circle of the Moon option to give them effective non-casting abilities in combat. Some go-to spells for this character were Produce Flame, Faerie Fire, Thorn Whip, Thunderwave, Spike Growth, and Conjure Animals. There are some VSM spells in there, but they use components he was able to scrounge under the circumstances the party was dealing with.

Tiefling Warlock
    Pact of the Blade was tempting, but without armor melee is generally a bad idea for a Warlock. Pact of the Tome is my more normal go-to, but that choice leaves you (temporarily) screwed if your tome is lost or stolen, so I went with Pact of the Chain. Relied very heavily on Eldritch Blast and invocations that boosted it, but that can take you a long way. Armor of Agathys was handy; if your party can't find a cup of damned water, you have serious problems.

Halfling Sorcerer
    Avoiding material component requirements was actually a lot harder than for the Druid or Warlock, and this was probably the least effective character in the group. Pretty much lived or died by Scorching Ray.

I ran this group solo (DM and playing) through an adventure based on the Isle of Dread from a D&D Next playtest package. They were shipwrecked with some NPC commoners they had to try to protect, dealing with a lot of random encounters mainly. They were somewhat surprisingly effective against level-appropriate encounters, even with very little gear.
    -Christian
    "You're thinking of the 'peace and love' monks across the valley. We're the 'law and order' monks."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

wood elf (or maybe hill dwarf?) monk, sometime after level 5 grab 3 levels of bear barbarian for all the resistance, then all ASI to dex, con, or wis, with maybe a Tough feat tossed in somewhere

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Monk 20, but probably Four Elements to gain some ranged/CC/AoE options without requiring material components. Or Sun Soul, if you prefer, but then you're not picking up Gaseous Form or Fly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The Barb 2 / Moon Druid X walks around naked all the time. Well almost. Closer to something like this

He has bracers of armour, but otherwise it's just him, his CON-score and cojones the size of brains.
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I made a whole party of characters like this, all just PHB-based. Obviously, nobody is completely effective without gear, but some designs are much less gear-dependent than others ... They were:

Tiefling Warlock
    Pact of the Blade was tempting, but without armor melee is generally a bad idea for a Warlock. Pact of the Tome is my more normal go-to, but that choice leaves you (temporarily) screwed if your tome is lost or stolen, so I went with Pact of the Chain. Relied very heavily on Eldritch Blast and invocations that boosted it, but that can take you a long way. Armor of Agathys was handy; if your party can't find a cup of damned water, you have serious problems.
    This is fixed with a Dex based build using Armor of Shadows invocation, an AC of 16-18 is pretty good for a non shield user.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

At higher levels, a PC w/ shadowblade, mage armor, shield spell, etc would do just fine as a naked melee combatant. W/ elvish accuracy, mobile, and max dex you are good to go.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Wizard/Sorcerer wouldn't be all that bad: you get a decent number of good spells without components and you don't really care about any other items. Shield and Absorb Elements are both Mless, and for armor you can kinda wing it at times. Yeah, a lot of the good spells do have components including a few of the standouts but a quick list of good ones that don't:

Cantrips:
    Chill Touch
    Fire Bolt
    Mold Earth
    Prestidigitation
    Ray of Frost
    Toll the Dead
    Shape Water
    Mage Hand
    Create Bonfire

[frankly, the only major losses are Minor Illusion and Friends - while Minor Illusion is probably the strongest in the game, Mage Hand, Mold Earth and Shape Water are very competitive and Toll the Dead/Fire Bolt/Ray of Frost/Chill Touch/Create Bonfire gives you your choice of combat cantrips]

1st level

Defense:
    Absorb Elements
    Shield

Utility:
    Charm Person
    Disguise Self
    Expeditious Retreat

Combat:
    Thunderwave
    Magic Missile
    (Catapult)
    Fog Cloud
    Burning Hands

Rituals:
    Detect Magic

[Losing out on Find Familiar sucks but if you can get that one-time component, it's a free underling for the rest of the game. Other than that, the big losses are Silent Image, and Sleep; everything else you can kinda cover. No Mage Armor means it's probably the best to go a natural armor class if you intend to play the AC game. Catapult is much worse without stuff to throw yourself though you should generally be able to access a pebble or something for the basic functionality at least]

2nd level

Defense:
    Mirror Image
    Blur

Utility:
    Misty Step
    Warding Wind
    Knock
    Magic Weapon
    Alter Self

Combat:
    (Pyrotechnics)
    Crown of Madness
    Blindness/Deafness
    Shadow Blade
    Scorching Ray
    Earthbind

Rituals:

[Pyrotechnics gets much worse without easy access to creating fire yourself. Notable losses on this level include Suggestion, Levitate, Magic Mouth, Invisibility, etc. Lots of the good single target CC, one of the best utility spells in the game, Web in terms of good multitarget CC, some sight magic, a lot of good divinations, but you can still craft a perfectly servicable spell list out of what you do have.]

3rd level

Defense:
    Blink

Utility:
    Dispel Magic
    Protection from Energy
    Remove Curse
    Thunder Step

Combat:
    Counterspell
    Enemies Abound
    Flame Arrows
    Vampiric Touch

Rituals:

[First of the really painful levels: you lose out on the best spells of the level in Hypnotic Pattern and Fear. You also lose out on the better damage effects on the level in Fireball and Lightning Bolt. Then Fly is a huge one. On the flipside, you do get the irreplaceable magic interaction effects and some decent single target CC and even a bit of damage ability]

4th level

Defense:

Utility:
    Greater Invisibility
    Dimension Door
    Charm Monster

Combat:
    Storm Sphere
    Sickening Radiance

Rituals:

[Wow, I never thought I'd say "What a level!" while losing Polymorph, Banishment, Summon Greater Demon, etc. But the spells you get complement what you get perfectly: you finally get a great Invisibility effect, a very powerful party teleportation effect and some great AOE CC and even a decent AOE damage/kill effect. Overall, I'd say this is actually a great level for this character!]

5th level

Defense:

Utility:
    Modify Memory
    Mislead
    Skill Empowerment
    Far Step
    Dominate Person
    Control Winds
    Seeming

Combat:
    (Animate Objects)
    (Danse Macabre)
    Telekinesis
    Synaptic Static

Rituals:

[This level is awesome! While you lose out on Wall of Force, Wall of Stone, Bigby's, the standout spells, you do get Telekinesis, Animate Objects and Synaptic Static from the very top of the power scale. Sadly Animate Objects and Danse Macabre are slightly less reliable than normally, but most places should have things to animate and eventually most places will have corpses too - certainly Animate Objects is the better of the two.]

Overall, it actually works pretty well. You'll miss the absolute top tier options for tier 1 but especially from level 4 spells on you're actually really fine. That's more than enough good spells to sculpt a spell list for whole game; plenty of random spell lists would actually be much worse than that. The biggest problem is missing the ability to endemically produce flame for Pyrotechnics, objects for Animate Object or Danse Macabre, and useful things to throw with Catapult. Pyrotechnics and Animate Object are still good enough but weaker than in a default Wizard's build. And yeah, not having a spellbook means you basically just get your choice of spells and that's it - probably anyways. Certainly no Ritual Casting or spell swapping, but with how few rituals exist without materials (basically just Detect Magic; and yeah, Skywrite), that's kinda irrelevant. Probably better off as a Sorc since you don't get most of what makes Wizard awesome anyways though the specialty goodies like Diviner/Abjurer/etc. still certainly do exist.

That should be a fine addition to any standard party (though again, having a race with natural armor would be kinda nice to alleviate the issue of lacking Mage Armor - would make you just as hardy as any Wizard).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I played a naked Goliath Barb with the Tavern Brawler feat and it was a fun build. In the same campaign my Barb had a "pet" 4 Int Halfling that was also naked, but he usually carried a light hammer.

As mentioned above, Monk is perfect for this too. No need for any material things.

Moon Druids would work well some of the time. A completely naked Moon Druid would be weak in caster form though and even a level 20 Moon Druid is not always going to be wildshaped.