New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Considering starting a new character on Oblivion, suggestions?

My last character (and first playthrough) was an Imperial, built as a Steed thief. I did the Arena which was mostly just a downer, I played through the Thieves Guild (loved it), did the main story, then both DLCs. I didn't join the Mage's Guild or the Fighter's Guild. Actually the Mage's Guild didn't really interest me all that much from what I saw in the wiki- which is weird because I normally love playing a mage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Considering starting a new character on Oblivion, suggestions?

Get 100 in every stat, including luck. The game gets crazy when every enemy rolls highdrops and then equips it. You just need to pick your key skills very very carefully, you have some wiggle room as you level but not much.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If you haven't played the Oblivion Dark Brotherhood quest, you're missing out. It's easily one of the best lines in the game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a 'villain with good publicity' on one playthrough. "No, I had nothing to do with those family patriarchs killing each other! I was closing the Oblivion Gate - see, the Gate is closed!"

The 'good publicity' part gave me a reason to do obviously non-evil quests - which let's be honest, is most of them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    My last character (and first playthrough) was an Imperial, built as a Steed thief. I did the Arena which was mostly just a downer, I played through the Thieves Guild (loved it), did the main story, then both DLCs. I didn't join the Mage's Guild or the Fighter's Guild. Actually the Mage's Guild didn't really interest me all that much from what I saw in the wiki- which is weird because I normally love playing a mage.
    Magic is really fun in Oblivion, particularly with a few simple mods (Av latta Magicka particularly).

Spellcrafting is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    If you haven't played the Oblivion Dark Brotherhood quest, you're missing out. It's easily one of the best lines in the game.
    Also this.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-06-01 at 10:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Step 1. Acquire sufficient armour to hit 85% armour.
    Step 2. Enter high level Oblivion gates to get core stones with Resist Magic to reach highest available percentage.
    Step 3. Equip items like Amulet of Axes/Amulet of Swords, Eschutcheon of Chorrol, and Ring of the Iron Fist to achieve higest available percentage of Damage Reflect.
    Step 4. Walk next to enemy and wait. Enemies will punch themselves to death far more efficiently than you can kill them at high levels.

You will only take 15% of whatever small percentage of damage you werent' able to reflect. If you can hit 100% or higher damage reflect then just prioritise Spell Reflect/Magic resist on armour.

(Alternatively, try playing pure unarmed only, it's only really effective at low to mid levels because of Oblivion's idiot scaling so you might want one of the overhaul mods that changes that.)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-06-02 at 04:44 AM.