New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tales of Arcadia: Trollhunters, 3Below, and the upcoming Wizards

Nobody I know IRL has watched Trollhunters and it's sequel series 3Below, and that makes me sad. I want somebody to talk to about them, so I'm hoping there might be some fellow playgrounders that have seen them. For those unaware, these shows (which are on Netflix) are CG animated shows by Guillermo del Toro and produced by Dreamworks Animation and Double Dare You Productions. There are three series (the third of which is supposed to come out this August) in the "meta-series" Tales of Arcadia: Trollhunters, 3Below, and Wizards - in that order. The first series, Trollhunters, has three seasons (a 26 episode first season followed by a 13 episode second and 13 episode third season). The second series, 3Below, has two seasons (both 13 episodes), the first of which chronologically occurs concurrently with the third season of Trollhunters. The third series, Wizards, hasn't come out yet and is supposed to have a first season of 10 episodes (no idea how many seasons it's supposed to have). While all taking place in the same town - Arcadia Oaks - each series has a different main character, though they share many of the same supporting characters with different degrees of importance.

Trollhunters follows Jim Lake Jr., a high school sophomore who finds a magical amulet one day on the way to school that allows him to don magical armor and wield a magical sword, thereafter getting embroiled in the affairs of the secret supernatural underworld (literally - they're underground) of Arcadia Oaks - the world of trolls. There are good trolls and evil trolls, shapeshifters and monsters, and it becomes Jim's duty as the one chosen by the amulet to become the Trollhunter, he who protects both humanity and trollkind from evil trolls and other monsters. Together with his best friend Toby (and later his love interest Claire), he works to avert disaster while maintaining his normal life as best he can. He has help in the form of a troll mentor named Blinky and Blinky's friend AAARRRGGHH!!! (yes, that's his name, complete with capitals and exclamation points). There are a total of four story arcs, each 13 episodes long (so two arcs in the first season and one each for the following seasons).

3Below follows Aja Tarron, her brother Krel Tarron, and their bodyguard Varvatos Vex - three aliens from the planet Akiridion-5 who crash land in Arcadia Oaks following a desperate escape from their homeworld during a political coup (the siblings are princess and prince). Minor characters and side characters from Trollhunters return in a big way during the hijinks that ensue as the aliens attempt to hide from and fight off bounty hunters sent by the new king. And let's not forget their cover identities that they transform into while in Arcadia Oaks: as their ship's AI, Mother, says when assigning them new "inconspicuous" forms that will be ignored and thus not draw attention, they are "a girl," "a Latino," and for the hulking battle-crazy bodyguard... "a senior citizen." It's truly "GLORIOUS!" (as Varvatos Vex would say)

Wizards isn't out yet, so I can't really give a summary.

Hopefully my little introduction was good enough to get at least one person interested in watching it who hadn't seen it yet!

So, discuss!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Arcadia: Trollhunters, 3Below, and the upcoming Wizards

I currently rewatch Trollhunters and 3below and am just starting the second season of 3below(had a little to much time on my hand the last months and after finishing the new stuff i wanted to watch i returned to my older favorites). And I must say it is even better the second time^^

But Guillermo del Toro has not let me down yet. If he made something i will watch it

And thanks for letting me know that there is a third series coming. Can't wait