1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Torchwood [IC]

"Whoa... that was good practice, Orb. Thanks."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    That all makes sense.

To clarify the weakness: is it electrical attacks themselves, or area attacks? Guessing the former. (E.g., a room erupting in flame would be just as bad, but he might be able to dodge a spray of bullets by seeing where they all go. But for area attacks that effectively fill a thing with damaging force (electricity, maybe fire or other sources), just gotta escape.)

And kinda makes sense, if you assume a certain randomness to how electrons flow (which is what my high school physics brings to memory).
    And makes sense some stuff isn't dodgeable. His power in that case would just let him know that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Pretty much, if it covers too wide and dense an area, is too random, or similar, you'll have great difficulty/impossible to dodge. I don't have an exact list, but if you feel I'm being unfair, you should just let me know and we'll hash it out.

Orb manages to look sheepish. "I'm glad that didn't really hit," it says. "And I'm glad I can help!"

The door opens, and you see the Director there. "Gentlemen. Orb," she says, "I know you've not had much time, but there is something somewhat urgent that must be addressed. Your home lives."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"Something happening at the academy?" asks Trent with concern. Since he couldnt remember anything about the incident, he didnt know what kind of danger could have happened there. "Orb, please tell us."
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kovacs

Seeing his companion tumble backwards from Orb's attack, Kovacs makes a mental note of the (to him at least) apparent weakness, and thinks about how to duplicate such an assault from his own powers to practice with him. But before he comes too far with that, the doors open and the director addresses them.

Sharing the Trent's concern, as generally everything was very weird right now, he also looks at the director, awaiting an answer to the same question. Or has she just meant the one to come? While the memory of the incident at the Printing Company was not much more than a blot of dark, he has this strange feeling to never being able to return there.

5. - Top - End - #65

"Your friends and family are safe," Rose says. "But to make sure they stay safe, we need you to return for now. If you're gone for a day, and pop up, there will be a few questions, but not many. If you're gone for a week, assumed dead and gone, and then suddenly return... It's nothing we couldn't handle, but we're trying to keep questions to a minimum."

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Nicolas Kovacs

Nicolas nods. "So... how do we get home?" He hesitates for a moment, then also admits "I don't recall much of what happened at the Company before you found me. Could I get some info on that? Maybe to read on the way or so?"

7. - Top - End - #67

"For your company," Rose says, "it's being reported as a gas leak. I'll make sure you get your phone back-well, a new phone, since the old one is busted-so you can read the news on the way back."

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #68

"Thank you! Will we be able to contact you via the phone?"

9. - Top - End - #69

Rose shakes her head. "We don't exactly have normal telephone numbers in our bases, or for our ranking operatives and staff. But..."

We have this, you hear her voice in your heads. She then switches back to speaking, saying "You won't be able to contact me unless I've created a link. But it won't be hard to keep an eye on you all and let you know how to help."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Um, yeah, sounds good. I--" He had kinda figured he'd be living as a super hero (spy? vigilante? whatever) at the base. He looked at his new comrades, especially the younger one. Just a kid, really, but old enough to be a grownup in the right circumstances.

"I don't have much of a family life. I mean, no wife or kids, and my parents live in another state. What's the cover story for Umbrella? And--like, should I still be working there? Or any data I could steal?

OH! They told me to stay home the day of the incident! Do you think it was something they planned?
    " He looks to his comrades. "Did either of you get something similar, like told to stay away from whatever happened to you?"

11. - Top - End - #71

"Yes, you're not especially problematic, Alexander," Rose says. "We'll want you to make an appearance by your neighbors-you 'just got out of the hospital,' as it were. After that, it'd be simple to just say that that experience spooked you, and you're moving to find another job."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"So, are we going there as a group to deal with the situation? Or are we being divided to deal with each situation?" Trent decides to ask wondering about how they were going to deal with the issues at hand.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

13. - Top - End - #73

"None of you are especially near each other-but each of you will need to make excuses and find reasons to not be around your old comrades," Rose replies. "A new job is usually the cover we give."

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Alexander shrugs. "I'm definitely fine with moving. Be too creepy to keep working there anyway." He remembers seeing one of his co-workers with their face half-chewed-off and shudders. If that guy somehow was healed, well, that's good, but it's not like he could be chummy like before with someone he saw die or saw as a zombie.

15. - Top - End - #75

Orb and Rose lead you up quite a few flights of stairs, to a small hangar. As they lead you, Rose tells Orb to contact some pilots. There's mostly ordinary vehicles there, though they seem a little sleeker, a little better designed than anything you've seen before. Also there are three pilots-two women and a man-chatting to one another by the helicopters.

Rose clears her throat, and they stop their small talk, standing at attention. "Thank you," Rose says. "Orb should have given you your destinations."

"Yes ma'am," one of the women replies.

"Excellent. Drop off our new agents at the nearest hospital to their 'accident', and they'll be able to get home from there," she continues, before turning to face you. "You will receive mail shortly, offering a new job away from your old one, or a new scholarship opportunity. I'll see you again soon."

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Trent nods in agreement. All while thinking about his own excuse. He imagined that if he said he was offered a job for gaining experience, he would get the less amount of suspicion. He can only hope that everything moves smoothly especially since he wasnt that good of a liar.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

17. - Top - End - #77

You each board your own helicopter, get buckled in (with a little help from your pilot, if you've not been in one before) and the choppers start off. Rose is gone by this point, but Orb is at the edge of the hangar, waving goodbye.

It's a decently long flight for all of you, during which you alternate between napping and talking with your pilot. They're professional, but still able to talk to you.

Spoiler: Trent
    Show
    You come down on the top of the nearest hospital to Hope's Peak. The pilot tells you "Your family has just arrived, and are waiting in the lobby. Good luck, kid!"

Show
    Tell me about Trent's family.

Spoiler: Nicolas
    Show
    You come down on top of a hospital near The Printing Company. The pilot gives you directions to the room you'll be in-an ordinary, non-emergency hospital room. "We've messed with the records a bit, so you'll be able to just go right in. I'd recommend making some calls to friends and family, 'explaining' the situation."

Show
    Talk to me about Nicolas' friends and family-whoever he'd contact.

Spoiler: Alexander
    Show
    You land on the top of a hospital, not the NEAREST to Umbrella, but a near one-the nearest one, your pilot informs you, is full. "You should probably see about calling your friends and family-anyone who'd be worried about you," your pilot says.

Show
    Talk to me about your friends and family.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Based on the hospital choice, Alexander wonders if the closest hospital is too occupied with survivors of the incident.

He calls his parents. Both are in their 60s. His mom retired from an administrative job at an office recently, and his father does contract work as a programmer; both live in Florida by the beach. They had heard about something on the news, but are relieved he's fine.

He pauses thinking about friends. Most of his friends here are those he has met at work. He's hesitant to speak to any of them, but winds up calling a buddy he's gone to the movies with and bars with a few times. That guy was also told to stay home that day, so it's likely he's in a similar boat, without the superpowers or dying.
    It's a rather awkward conversation. Alexander hears the names of some people who made it and some who didn't. To his surprise (sorta), some people he was sure were dead are on the "made it" list. Frightening.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Based on the hospital choice, Alexander wonders if the closest hospital is too occupied with survivors of the incident.

He calls his parents. Both are in their 60s. His mom retired from an administrative job at an office recently, and his father does contract work as a programmer; both live in Florida by the beach. They had heard about something on the news, but are relieved he's fine.

He pauses thinking about friends. Most of his friends here are those he has met at work. He's hesitant to speak to any of them, but winds up calling a buddy he's gone to the movies with and bars with a few times. That guy was also told to stay home that day, so it's likely he's in a similar boat, without the superpowers or dying.
    It's a rather awkward conversation. Alexander hears the names of some people who made it and some who didn't. To his surprise (sorta), some people he was sure were dead are on the "made it" list. Frightening.
    You head down through the hospital, making your calls. You're a bit surprised to see your car parked the lot of the hospital, but it does allow you to easily head back home. When you check your mail, you see a job offer in a letter. Something about a traveling QA position-going from company to company and double checking their math, making sure there's no embezzlement or even just basic mistakes.

During all this, you do get the occasional text from your parents-more your mom than your dad, but they're both still worried about you.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You each board your own helicopter, get buckled in (with a little help from your pilot, if you've not been in one before) and the choppers start off. Rose is gone by this point, but Orb is at the edge of the hangar, waving goodbye.

It's a decently long flight for all of you, during which you alternate between napping and talking with your pilot. They're professional, but still able to talk to you.

Show
    You come down on the top of the nearest hospital to Hope's Peak. The pilot tells you "Your family has just arrived, and are waiting in the lobby. Good luck, kid!"

Show

Show
    You come down on top of a hospital near The Printing Company. The pilot gives you directions to the room you'll be in-an ordinary, non-emergency hospital room. "We've messed with the records a bit, so you'll be able to just go right in. I'd recommend making some calls to friends and family, 'explaining' the situation."

Show

Show
    You land on the top of a hospital, not the NEAREST to Umbrella, but a near one-the nearest one, your pilot informs you, is full. "You should probably see about calling your friends and family-anyone who'd be worried about you," your pilot says.

Show
    Trent is the eldest son of the family. He has a younger brother named Lee (14 years old) and a younger sister named Sam (9 years old). His father Richard (40 years old) is a single parent since their mother Rina died not much after Sam was born.

Since he was young, he had always put a lot of effort into his studies to one day help the family out in their situation. AT the hospital, he tries to reassure his family that he is fine and that there should be no lasting issues on his health. He also speaks about how he has been given a special chance that might prove fruitful economical wise for the family in the future.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

21. - Top - End - #81

They were all quite worried before they saw you, but now that they can see you and you seem fine, Lee and Sam seem more interested in if you got any scars than anything else.

Your dad, though, is still a little worried. "I'm glad you're doing okay... But I still want you to call when you can, though. You're my favorite oldest son," he jokes, "and don't think for a moment I won't drive up here to pull you if I need to. But, what's this opportunity you mentioned?"

Spoiler: The Opportunity
    Show
    You were briefed and told that the cover would be an internship with Gecorin. Some googling reveals plenty of detailed, financial information on it, most of it too dense to be worth reading further in, but more than enough to show it to be either a real company or a very convincing fake.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

To set his parents at ease, he tells them how he got a great job offer -- better travel, benefits, etc. -- and away from the area. Just feels safer, after everything. At least, he hopes it will set their minds at ease.

To be paranoid and safe, he decides to wait until the next day to actually accept the job. Well, respond to the email. He assumes Umbrella isn't watching his personal e-mail or phone, and that Torchwood woulda warned him if they were, but, well, who knows.

23. - Top - End - #83

There's some online forms to fill out, just the usual kind of things you'd expect from a job. WA few hours after all is said and done, you get a telepathic ping from Rose.

Is everything in order? Anything more you need to handle with friends or family? If all is well, we'll get you a flight to New York. There's something there that needs addressing-nothing terribly urgent or especially dangerous, which makes it excellent for training.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Not quite sure how the telepathy works, he thinks strongly, Yes, all in order. Well, I should pack, but could get my important stuff quickly, in a suitcase or two. I'm fine leaving my furniture and junk behind.

25. - Top - End - #85

You don't have to be so loud, you know, she sends, and you can almost hear her chuckle. Just think at me. But yes, that should be fine.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry. Telepathy is definitely new t me.

---

After checking out of the hospital, he goes home and starts to pack. His home is a small apartment not too far from the Umbrella company he worked at. Good 1-bedroom place for a single guy. Figuring he can get new clothes -- and more comfortable clothes than his work ones -- he decides not to pack most of those. He does bundle them up in case he gets movers later, but mostly packs personal effects, the DVDs he likes most, and his video games. Between a traveling luggage case, a big suitcase, and a carry-on bag with his laptop, he manages to get everything he really needs.

As he checks into his flight, he realizes that he forgot to pack any toiletries. Feeling a bit bemused at his priorities, he nevertheless grins realizing those could easily be bought as well.

27. - Top - End - #87

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show

Show
    Right before Rose leaves, Nicolas remembers something. "Erm, excuse me, before you go... I forgot something... Thank you. It's a lot to process right now, but I guess without your help, I'd be dead."

Nicolas is somewhat torn apart between excitement and a slight worry as he enters the helicopter. He had been a frequent flier his life, with his family coming from Britain, living in the US and having been on quite some holidays in south east asia and middle america. But yet, there is presumably quite a different feeling between flying in a big plane and a comparably small helicopter. He starts out with not making too much small talk with the pilot, as he prefers them to have their eyes "on the road", but after a little nap, he awakes with newfound energy and a calm mind, and starts to talk with the pilot, more over this and that, and less about either of the two's lives or occupations.

When the pilot leaves, he wants to answer, but seeing that he had to half-scream it due to the noise of the helicopter, he just thinks it. Maybe I'll just tell them the truth, that I don't know jack about
    what happened there.
    After a short stroll to the toilet, he gets rid of abundant clothing and settles into the hospital bed. He brings forth his mobile and starts a message, cancels, starts a call, aborts. It suddenly all felt a lot more difficult than he thought. He starts to read over the news articles about the event at the Printing Company to familiarize himself with some of the results. As he had no missed calls from his parents, it appears as if the news about the incident did not reach overseas to his parents. Fortunately, in a way, he had not signed in that day properly, and as such the emergency contact he had given to the company had not been called either. Torn between calling one of his friends, colleagues or family, he scrolls through the news articles again and again, trying to see whether he finds any background information.

28. - Top - End - #88

Show
    The news reports are all about a water main bursting violently in the Printing Company, followed by the architecturally unstable building having a partial collapse. The head of the Printing Company, Joey Drew, is missing and presumed to be somewhere in the wreckage, but outside that, most everyone made it out okay. There are plenty of injuries, but no one else is missing or dead.

Show
    You get a flight without too much difficulty. Nothing particularly interesting happens on it-you get served some overpriced snacks, there's a bad in-flight movie, and a little turbulence.

Eventually, you touch down. When you head out to the parking lot, you see someone waiting with a sign reading "Alexander Faulks and friends." The man holding the sign is big-built like a refrigerator crossed with a megalodon, but smiles as you approach. "Your friends are a little behind, so mind waiting here? I'm Roger-I'll be your chauffeur for the moment."

Show
    We're gonna wait for the others to catch up here.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

They were all quite worried before they saw you, but now that they can see you and you seem fine, Lee and Sam seem more interested in if you got any scars than anything else.

Your dad, though, is still a little worried. "I'm glad you're doing okay... But I still want you to call when you can, though. You're my favorite oldest son," he jokes, "and don't think for a moment I won't drive up here to pull you if I need to. But, what's this opportunity you mentioned?"

Spoiler: The Opportunity
    Show
    You were briefed and told that the cover would be an internship with Gecorin. Some googling reveals plenty of detailed, financial information on it, most of it too dense to be worth reading further in, but more than enough to show it to be either a real company or a very convincing fake.
    "I am just glad to see you all here. I will try to be more mindful. I am sorry for taking so long to call. I didnt want to worry any of you." Trent replies knowing how it was important to keep details away from his family.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

30. - Top - End - #90

"Alright," your dad says. "Your Gecorin thing-you said you needed to get to New York?" he continues. "They're paying for it, which is great, but New York is a big city. I know you think you've been to big places, but that's one of the biggest. You don't have to leave now."

Show
    Show

Show