New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Cleave

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Cleave

Hello people,

I would like help with understanding the feat cleave;

As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against a foe within reach. If you hit, you deal damage normally and can make an additional attack (using your full base attack bonus) against a foe that is adjacent to the first and also within reach. You can only make one additional attack per round with this feat. When you use this feat, you take a –2 penalty to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Simple right; now the question come into play: define adjacent in Pathfinder rules.

This is the current play, the witch has taken possession of a Frost Giant, and has created magical armor to keep the body in tow, with healing spells locked and loaded.
    The main question I am asking is, I would say adjacent is the square next to the target of your attack, if there is a square open, cleave doesn't carry on. That was my understanding of it, as per the dictionary definition of the the word adjacent, but in this case, we are talking about a Frost Giant doing this with a 10ft reach.

How would you rule this for sake of ease for the game sake?

Thank you

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cleave

Quote Originally Posted by Scottlang View Post
    adjacent is the square next to the target of your attack, if there is a square open, cleave doesn't carry on.
    Yes, that is what "adjacent" means.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, that is what "adjacent" means.
    Correct.

As an expansion for the OP, the game makes a specific distinction between the wording "within your reach" and "adjacent"; if the Feat was meant for giants (or someone with a polearm) to be able to Cleave people wider it would have used the wording "within your reach" for the second target.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Note that diagonal squares also count as adjacent in D&D/Pathfinder.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.