I'm part of a D&D group that's fairly liberal with using homebrew and UA material. I worked with my DM on a homebrew bard class to play in his campaign, and while we figured out the level 3 abilities for the class, I've been playing in the campaign with my character for a while and I'm close to getting level six, but we haven't decided on the rest of the subclass's abilities. I'd appreciate some input from the lovely giants here if y'all have some suggestions on thematic abilities for the subclass. Details below:

Spoiler: College of Stories
Show
Bard: College of Stories
Bards of the College of Stories focus on perfecting the art of creating, performing, and recreating stories. Whether they be fantastic or tragic, these bards pursue only the best of the best. Many weave legends from various stories and myths into their magic, making them come alive with illusions.

Versatile Minor Illusion
When you join the College of Stories at 3rd level, you learn the Minor Illusion cantrip. If you already know this cantrip, you learn a different bard cantrip of your choice. The cantrip doesn't count against your number of cantrips known. When you cast Minor Illusion, you can create both a sound and an image with a single casting of the spell.

Storybound Allies
At 3rd level, you may use a bonus action to create a phantom in a space you can see within 60 feet. The phantom takes on the appearance of a character from a myth or story the bard is familiar with. The phantom last until the end of the bard’s next turn. Enemies within 60 feet of the phantom must make a Wisdom saving throw against the bard’s spellcasting save DC or perceive them as real. Allies can gain the benefits of flanking from these phantoms so long as the enemy they are flanking failed this save. These phantoms have an AC of 12 and disappear upon taking any damage. These illusions cannot deal damage or interact with any physical objects. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). You regain all uses of this ability after completing a long rest. If you use this ability on your turn to maintain an illusion in its space, enemies do not get to re-attempt their save.

As you may be able to tell, I wanted to play a bard who was a storyteller and a writer, not necessarily a singer and musician. My vision of the subclass is a sort of supportive role that utilizes illusions in theme with visual storytelling. One thought I have for a level 6 ability is something to enhance the Storybound Allies ability somehow, but I know balancing what are effectively summoned creatures can be a nightmare.