Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WW/Mafia] The Jellicle Ball

Are you blind when you're born? Can you see in the dark?

Dare you look look at a king? Would you sit on his throne?

Can you say of your bite that it's worse than your bark?

Are you cock of the walk when you're walking alone?

When you fall on your head, do you land on your feet?

Are you tense when you sense there's a storm in the air?

Can you find your way blind when you're lost in the street?

Do you know how to go to the heaviside layer?

Can you ride on a broomstick to places far distant?

Familiar with candle, with book, and with bell?

Were you Whittington's friend? The Pied Piper's assistant?

Have you been an alumnus of heaven and hell?

Are you mean like a minx? Are you lean like a lynx?

Are you keen to be seen when you're smelling a rat?

Were you there when the pharoahs commissioned the Sphinx?

If you were, and you are, you're a jellicle cat!

Spoiler: Basic Rules
    Show
    For those of you unfamiliar with this game format, this will be a largely freeform game with some overarching procedural rules in place. For a more thorough understanding of the general format, click the pic in my signature, or use this link.

Here is how the game will proceed:

1) The game will start on a Day Phase. Day phases will be 48 hours long, Night phases will be 24 hours long.

2) During the day phase, all living players can talk, discuss things, and cast their votes for who will be lynched. If you cast your vote a second time, please strikethrough your previous vote. At the end of the Day Phase, I will make a post cutting off vote changes, tally up the votes, and declare who has been lynched, and what their role is. Private communication is allowed via PMs, although for the sake of my inbox I would prefer that you set up a QuickTopic thread for such private communication.

3) During the night phase, players may communicate publicly and privately. Players may use their night powers if they have one during this time.

4) The game ends when only one non-neutral faction remains.

5) There will be no auto-lynch rules in this game.

Spoiler: Town Roles
    Show

Vanillagers
    "All cats are jellicle cats, you see."

You have no special power. At the start of the game, you will be assigned a random name using this. This only matters for the purpose of scrying roles.

Bustopher Jones
    "He's the cat we all greet, as he walks down the street, in his coat of fastidious black!"

Every night, select one player. You learn that players alignment and role name.

Jennyanydots
    "When the day's hustle and bustle is done, then the gumbie cat's work is but hardly begun!"

Every night, select one player. You see everybody who targets this player during the night, and you gain access to any non-faction QTs they currently have access to.

Mister Mistoffelees
    "At least they all heard that somebody heard...which is incontestable proof!"

Every night, select one player. If that player is targeted by the mafia to be killed, or by the cult to be converted, the kill/conversion fails, and your target is informed that you protected them (in the form of "[player name], Mister Mistoffelees, protected you last night"). You may not select the same player two nights in a row.

Old Deuteronomy
    "Do you know how to go to the heaviside layer?"

Once across the entire game, during the night phase, you may target one player other than yourself and declare them the Jellicle Choice. This effectively kills the player in question. This kill cannot be blocked or resisted in any way. The neutrals, the cultists, even the mafia - everybody wants to be the Jellicle Choice, and won't interfere if it's made even if they would otherwise want to. However, as a result, their win condition is considered immediately fulfilled, and that player is considered to have won the game, regardless of how the rest of the game goes.

You count as having one fewer votes on you when votes are being tallied.

The first time you would be killed or converted during a night phase, it fails.

Spoiler: Cult
    Show
    Bombalurina
    "Generous, voluptuous, frank."

Every night, select one player. If they are a town role, they are converted into a cultist (and their power, if any, is weakened as indicated below). If they are not a town role, you learn their alignment. Once per game, when doing this, you can declare it unblockable.

Bustopher Jones: You no longer learn your target's role name, only their alignment.

Jennyanydots: You no longer gain access to your target's QTs.

Mister Mistoffelees: Your target is no longer informed that you protected them, should your bane successfully protect somebody.

Old Deuteronomy: You lose your vote reduction, and your kill/convert protection (if it hasn't already been lost).

Spoiler: Neutral
    Show
    Mungojerrie & Rumpleteaser
    "Then the family will say 'now which was which cat?'!"

You two start the game in contact. Every night, each of you can select one player to steal something that will never be noticed. This can't be prevented by protective powers, but it also has no effect on the target. Your victory condition is to survive to the end the game where every living player has been robbed at some point. If one of your doesn't survive, that one of you doesn't win regardless.

Spoiler: Mafia
    Show
    Every night, the mafia faction can collectively select a single player to kill.

Griddlebone
    "Growltiger had no eye or ear for aught but Griddlebone..."

Every night, select one player. Their power, if any, doesn't function tonight. You count as having one fewer votes on you when votes are being tallied.

Grizabella
    "But then she went with Macavity..."

Every night, select one player. You see everybody who targets this player during the night, and you gain access to any non-faction QTs they currently have access to.

Growltiger
    "From Gravesend up to Oxford he pursued his evil aims..."

If you are lynched, one random non-mafia player voting for you dies as well. If you would be targeted for the conversion, you die instead, and take a random cultist with you.

Macavity
    "He always has an alibi, and one or two to spare."

You are the first role assigned. You will select a number of players as directed, and assign roles to them from the other roles here in the mafia section.

If you would have your alignment scried, you will detect as town. If you would also have your role name scried, they will be told a private random jellicle name assigned to you at the beginning of the game instead of your actual role name.

Player List:
    1. Apogee1
    2. Aventine
    3. Book Wombat
    4. Bunny of Faith
    5. CaoimhinTheCape
    6. Elenna
    7. flat_footed
    8. gac3
    9. JeenLeen
    10. JoyWonderLove
    11. Logan1996
    12. Snowblaze
    13. Unavenger
    14. Valmark
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-06-15 at 09:51 PM.

Currently Recruiting: Dungeons and Doppelgängers.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [WW/Mafia] The Jellicle Ball

Well, signing in and changing signature, I believe.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Dungeons and Doppelgangers is recruiting!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Well, signing in and changing signature, I believe.
    Alright everybody, you know the drill: when the game starts, let Valmark cast the first vote, so he has to vote himself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

In. Cool mechanics in this one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

In. Will look at the post now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    In. Will look at the post now.
    Ah yes, the best way to select games to play in.

Welcome aboard!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Same, I saw the name of the game and signed in without actually checking the roles xD

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Dungeons and Doppelgangers is recruiting!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Same, I saw the name of the game and signed in without actually checking the roles xD
    I guess that makes sense. Neither of y'all would've seen the hint I gave at a role I was thinking of because I only said that in the deadchat for the other game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I'm intrigued by some of these roles
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueWizardGirl

In. As a cultist, probably. Why did I start that joke? (Yes, agreed, we’re making Valmark self-vote.)

Now I've actually woken up and looked at the roles... oh, this will be *interesting*. I can't wait!
    Last edited by Snowblaze; 2020-06-02 at 04:22 AM.
    Werewolf games won: 7 (as town three times, wolf, evil mutant, town a fourth time and Russian spy. Don't ask.)

Werewolf games lost: 1 (as survivor)

Number of deaths: 4 (killed night one for trying (and mostly failing) to do crazy stuff; killed night zero for being crazy enough to narrate a game; horribly murdered by Valmark, Xihirli and Lord Athos for no particular reason night one; killed night two for being the Seer)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but having an open role list helps.

Also I love how Deuteronomy loses an ability he cannot possibly still have if he gets converted.

In.

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

I too like the open role list, though I don't know what this is referencing or why it has to do with cats. I'm in!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but having an open role list helps.

Also I love how Deuteronomy loses an ability he cannot possibly still have if he gets converted.

In.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Every night, select one player. If they are a town role, they are converted into a cultist (and their power, if any, is weakened as indicated below). If they are not a town role, you learn their alignment. Once per game, when doing this, you can declare it unblockable.
    Tencharacters

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tencharacters
    Oh right oops.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    I too like the open role list, though I don't know what this is referencing or why it has to do with cats. I'm in!
    Do I actually see
    With my own very eyes
    A man who's not heard
    Of a Jellicle cat?!

Embrace the madness that is Cats

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

You know I am a Broadway fan, but never did bring myself to see cats. And then with the flop of the movie production of it, I just wrote it off as not worth seeing. But it I should go back and watch it, as I know the broadway play had critical acclaim. Makes sense now that I think about it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You know I am a Broadway fan, but never did bring myself to see cats. And then with the flop of the movie production of it, I just wrote it off as not worth seeing. But it I should go back and watch it, as I know the broadway play had critical acclaim. Makes sense now that I think about it.
    The play is...weird. Very weird. It's people pretending to be cats being weird for almost two hours. It's about different kinds of cats that long-time cat owners will recognize echoing cats they've known. It's an experience in person, because it's so weird that it just draws you into its world. I can't recommend seeing the movie.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueWizardGirl

...oh, right, you put the player list in alphabetical order. How am I supposed to make Valmark self-vote now?
    Werewolf games won: 7 (as town three times, wolf, evil mutant, town a fourth time and Russian spy. Don't ask.)

Werewolf games lost: 1 (as survivor)

Number of deaths: 4 (killed night one for trying (and mostly failing) to do crazy stuff; killed night zero for being crazy enough to narrate a game; horribly murdered by Valmark, Xihirli and Lord Athos for no particular reason night one; killed night two for being the Seer)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, I enjoyed the film too. But it's a whole other feeling when you see a furred hand fall on the shoulder of the chair as cat-people walk on hands and feets on the seats.
    And I'm not talking about weird kinks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    ...oh, right, you put the player list in alphabetical order. How am I supposed to make Valmark self-vote now?
    I'm untouchable and all your plans will fail before the might of the V.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, I enjoyed the film too. But it's a whole other feeling when you see a furred hand fall on the shoulder of the chair as cat-people walk on hands and feets on the seats.
    And I'm not talking about weird kinks!

I'm untouchable and all your plans will fail before the might of the V.
    The editing killed me. Every time it cut less than three seconds into a new shot during every big dance number I thought I'd die. The director seemed allergic to just letting the shots rest and letting the dancing go on long enough to actually be impressive. The onlyntime it dodn't ruin it for ke was Skimbleshanks' tapdance, and that's because it's an auditory effect that the visuaps couldn't ruin.

The songs are well-sung but aaaaaaaaa.

Edit: *Most* of the songs are well-sung.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2020-06-02 at 08:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I didn't know what Jellicle was, so I was guessing it'd be something about slimes/jellies from Dragon Quest. I am somewhat disappointed, but this still sounds fun. I'm in.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I actually just saw the musical of Cats around last Christmas (which might give away my real location, but oh well). I enjoyed it. Haven't seen the movie but my sister saw it and said it was terrible. (Her main issue was that the cat costumes used in the movie fell into the Uncanny Valley)
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

I'll join too. Interesting that you're letting the Mafia head essentially pick their team.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Still need time, sorry. But good gaming!
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceseer View Post
    I really wanted what Xihirli said to be true though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    You can trust her to be completely insane; and probably to backstab you.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    I'll join too. Interesting that you're letting the Mafia head essentially pick their team.
    It's not common, but it happens sometimes. I know there's been times when it was the standard. The issue with this flavor of Alpha Wolf compared with normal random generation is that you have to be a lot more careful balancing the game. A game that's otherwise balanced for 4 wolves gets pretty unbalanced if the alpha player picks three champ-level veterans for the wolf team. But also veteran players living too long is a sure sign they're wolves, especially in a game where you can pick your teammates. There's a lot of push-pull in the meta-game for this kinda role.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Still need time, sorry. But good gaming!
    No worries.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'll also try, in.
    . .-. .-. --- .-. / ....- ----- ....- ---... / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / -. --- - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --.- ..- . ... - .. --- -. / ---... -.--.-

Discord: Book Wombat#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I didn't know what Jellicle was,

If you work out what a Jellicle cat actually is, let me know

I'm in.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    If you work out what a Jellicle cat actually is, let me know

I'm in.
    All cats are Jellicle cats. All dogs are Pollicle dogs.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

It's not common, but it happens sometimes. I know there's been times when it was the standard. The issue with this flavor of Alpha Wolf compared with normal random generation is that you have to be a lot more careful balancing the game. A game that's otherwise balanced for 4 wolves gets pretty unbalanced if the alpha player picks three champ-level veterans for the wolf team. But also veteran players living too long is a sure sign they're wolves, especially in a game where you can pick your teammates. There's a lot of push-pull in the meta-game for this kinda role.
    Good rationale.

I also see a mix of that with some other stuff. Like Mister Mistoffelees. If someone gets baned but doesn't know who baned them, they know know Mister Mistoffelees is cult. Right?

With the Cult leader being unblockable 1/game, is that just to bypass baners/voiders, or does it mean they could convert a Mafia? Can they convert neutrals?

---

Also, given your past shennighans, would you verify some additional rules to the game
    == AvatarVecna is not a player and cannot be voted for. In addition, AvatarVecna may not be chosen as one of the wolves.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    In addition, AvatarVecna may not be chosen as one of the wolves.
    Crap. There goes my plan if I became Macavity.