New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [SWSE] Creating Armor with Build Object

What rules should be used for creating armor using the Build Object application of the Mechanics skill?

The time it takes to build is based entirely on the amount of hit points that an object has, but the Statistics for Objects table in the Core book. does not list any hit points for suits of armor.

Were you never meant to be allowed to create scratch-built armor using Build Object? It seems like an oversight when you can create literally anything else, including vehicles of any sort.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [SWSE] Creating Armor with Build Object

Where is the Build function of Mechanics listed?

But, for myself? I'd base it off similarly sized weapons.... so armor for a medium creature is like building a medium weapon like a blaster rifle (about 10 HP). Building weapons and building armor are obviously not the same thing, but I'd fudge that the complexity of making blasters and such is greater than the complexity of making basic armor, but the armor is bigger, so they work out about the same.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3

Build Object is a new application of the Mechanics skill added in the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide.

You are forbidden specifically from creating droids*, but it states that you may build any other object or piece of equipment. Both armor and weapons are specifically listed as a type of equipment.

It's essentially a modified version of the Repair Object application, in that an object starts at zero hit points and every hour of work you roll a 1d8 to add to the HP total and when the object reaches full HP it is finished and ready for use. It also adds a note for vehicles which tells you to use the full hit points listed for this total.

The table contains entries for objects, tools, and weapons but not armor. I assumed it had to be an oversight but I wanted to make sure I didn't somehow miss anything. Or at the least have a reasonable suggestion to bring to my DM. Using the entry for weapons sounds good to me.

Spoiler: *Spoiler
    Show
    *This is another separate issue that boggles my mind. I can think of no fewer than three canon examples of characters building a droid from scratch, but there don't seem to be rules for allowing this either. There are only rules for pricing droids to be purchased.

"It's so cool!"

Show

But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

4. - Top - End - #4

Ok, looking at that, it's pretty straightforward.

Basic armor for a human-sized creature might be Simple, Moderate, or Complex, depending on the armor... pretty simple to make a breastplate out of some leather and metal scraps, a bit more complex (moderate) if you want to make it well fitting and work in some equipment like a comlink.

DC is going to vary according to circumstance; not hard to make some armor if you've got a few examples, but a lot harder if you're trying to build human armor out of a walker.

Size is the size of the creature it's meant to cover. I'd still lean towards Weapons for the HP, rather than simple manufactured items, so building medium sized armor from scratch is going to be a DC 10 or 25, building to about 20 (10 HP for a medium-sized combat object, doubled for the creation multiplier). So, about four or five craft-hours of work.

As for droids, I would let someone use Mechanics to build the body, but I would insist on Use Computer to program the droid... and if you're building from scratch, you're going to need to be trained in anything you want it to be trained in. Building the body I would say has a number of HP equal to its Physical Attribute total (subject to the size multiplier), and a number of HP for the Use Computer test equal to the Mental Attributes total.

So, building a 2-1B-equivalent medical droid would require Mechanics, DC 40, for a total of 38 HP ((8 + 11)*2), and can be done by any wrench-twiddler with access to the proper tools (and, hopefully, some good schematics, to bring the DC down a little). The mental grow-pramming would be against a DC 40, to get 38 HP (14+15+9), and would require someone skilled in Life Sciences, Treat Injury, and Cybernetic Surgery, in addition to the Use Computer test.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-06-01 at 10:05 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. The GM agreed with using the weapons table for making armor.

I appreciate the suggestion for droids as well. I'll take it up with him if I ever want to go down that route of having a little helper droid.

Random unrelated question, but we'll be using the Record Keeping rules for the costs of starship food and fuel. We've found the fuel costs measured in 50 credits per day of fuel but we can't find what the fuel capacity is-- as in how many days worth of fuel can a given starship hold. Are there rules for that anywhere that we are missing?
    Last edited by Doctor Awkward; 2020-06-02 at 06:07 PM.

"It's so cool!"

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    Random unrelated question, but we'll be using the Record Keeping rules for the costs of starship food and fuel. We've found the fuel costs measured in 50 credits per day of fuel but we can't find what the fuel capacity is-- as in how many days worth of fuel can a given starship hold. Are there rules for that anywhere that we are missing?
    I'd say the consumables rating. A Y-Wing can carry a week's worth of consumables, which means 5 days (a standard week) worth of fuel.
    The Cranky Gamer