New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Armor for a Bird? Any rules or book with info?

Hey there! A few players of mine want armor created for a bird. The bird is one of our players. It's part of their whole story thing.

I'm only running part of the campaign on my own island. Anyways, they want armor for when they are a bird as they are a bird during the day.

Their companion had bones and gold candle holders, but I feel Gold would be too heavy.

Anyways, so I had thought to use Bone to make this armor.

Unfortunately, the rules for Armor in DnD 2nd edition is a bit different from that of other editions.

Their current AC as a Bird is 4. They want armor to make it better cause almost everyone else is in the negatives. The best being like AC -3.

I want to improve their AC by a little bit so it doesn't seem like a waste. However, almost all armor except for full plate would set their AC above 4. So that wouldn't work. Also, I have no idea where to find information about making bone armor.

So my question is.

1. Where can I find information on creating armor with specific materials such as bone, copper, etc.
    2. This guy has the chance to make it magical, but aside from making it +1 Bone Armor, what else could I do?

Thank you. Much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Armor for a Bird? Any rules or book with info?

It might be easier to just fit the bird with a Ring of Protection instead.

But I know The Complete Barbarian's Handbook (page 84) mentions bone armor and wood armor.

Not sure about copper, but I know the DMG (table 27) mentions armor made from adamantite, elven steel and fine steel, all of which weigh less than normal steel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    It might be easier to just fit the bird with a Ring of Protection instead.

But I know The Complete Barbarian's Handbook (page 84) mentions bone armor and wood armor.

Not sure about copper, but I know the DMG (table 27) mentions armor made from adamantite, elven steel and fine steel, all of which weigh less than normal steel.
    Well, the town they are currently in that they're trying to get this armor made at is extremely low on supplies due to the famine they've been experiencing over the last 6 months to a year. So they don't really have much in the way of magical items, food, or anything really.

This craftsman took food as payment from the party. Food also spoils really quickly here (plot reasons).

Also, I probably COULD have found a ring, but they were low on supplies and they specifically asked for armor to be made.

I appreciate the direction though to the DMG and Barbarians Handbook.

From what I found since posting this, Armor that would make Natural Armor worse would increase it by 1. So the Armor could still provide some benefit, but not much.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Remember, in 2e, when you put inferior armor over superior natural armor (or layer superior armor over inferior natural armor), the result is that you improve the AC by 1.

So, if you put leather armor (AC 8) on something with a tough hide (AC 9), you wind up with an AC of 7. If you put chain barding (AC 5) on something with an AC of 7, you get an AC of 4.

So, any kind of effective armor on the bird will improve its AC by at least 1.

You can also rule that some measure of its 4 AC comes from dexterity. If you say that it comes entirely from their dexterity, then you apply that on top of the AC from the armor.

Cheap, easy method, though? Armor spell. Ring of Protection is more expensive and less effective, but longer lasting.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

In addition to the Armor spell, you might think about a path like the Shield spell, given that most attacks against the bird will, I assume, be ranged. The +1 Save bonus will also help (since any AoE spell will fry a normal bird).

The bird's AC comes from its speed and maneuverability, so physical armor will likely offset the AC as much as help it.

Phantom Armor (from the 1e Unearthed Arcana) might be another option. It also includes the Save bonus, and damage reduction, both critical to a familiar-like companion at higher levels.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I just want to add that, having worked with falcons, hawks, and eagles in the real world, the idea of "barding" a bird is a non-starter. We make backpacks and foot attachments for small electronics payloads, but these things weigh grams. Adding any amount of wood/bone/leather/metal that provides protection from weapons would make any bird so heavy that they would not be able to fly, or could only fly for very short periods without getting tired. Eagles are pretty lazy as it is, and won't work hard to fly.

Of course this is fantasy RPG, so by all means, if you want full plate barding for your hawk familiar/animal companion, go right ahead. It's just something that breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

Magical protection is much more workable.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Honestly, since you have to house rule it anyway... make something new. A spell that only effects small bird ac. A "trick" one of the bird handlers know that can make your bird more agile (paint for some feathers, a blessed bead, heck weird feed. )

Just make sure it only works for non monster small birds and it doesnt do much. Then whip up a nice story for it and bamn..

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    I just want to add that, having worked with falcons, hawks, and eagles in the real world, the idea of "barding" a bird is a non-starter. We make backpacks and foot attachments for small electronics payloads, but these things weigh grams.
    You could probably get away with armoring an ostritch or emu, but that really just demonstrates your point.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're talking 2e, you want mithral (the totally-not-a-copyright-infringement of Tolkien's mithril). It's half the weight of its steel and iron counterparts.

Still probably too heavy for a bird, but this is fantasy, so...