New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric build

So starting off this is pretty MAD
    as we are focusing on both the main spell of Call Lightening from Cleric
    and then offspells being sorcerer. I do use staff of the magi to help with casting
    ranged caster not afraid to get up close and personal
    basically only lightening/thunder/ice/wind spells for storm background

Starting Sorc 1 Noble with variant human (adept Lightening)
    then Cleric 6
    then Sorc X
    other X?

backstory is received a gem that cursed her with lightening properties. couldn't control, when to temple of Talos to control power, then went back to finding who gave the gem and kill them

STR: 8
    DEX: 14
    CON: 10
    WIS: 16
    INT: 8
    CHA:16

Sorc 1 first for saving proficiencies
    cleric 6 to get that sweet 2 instances of full damage on our up-casted call lightenings which we can quick cast then use action on same turn to cast again

very control mage with ability to push everything you hit with lightening/thunder damage/anything near you 10 feet and other cleric control spells.
    very damagy using cleric abilities to max damage for insane burst and other sorc damage spells.
    war caster to hold staff/shield and still be able to cast for 19+AC (shield, med armor +2 for dex, + any bonuses you may find along the way)

i know its MAD, but it still feels powerful with just a ring of spell storing (for your only burst/healing spell)
    Ring of storing, storing prayer of healing for nice oh **** button
    staff of magi for more spell slots

its super powerful and fun to play.

any advice tips are nice, or if you wanna copy is all good
    Last edited by shotpongball; 2020-06-02 at 07:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric build

Up to you if you want to take advantage, but on very MAD builds there are some racial features that can alleviate our low physical stats -- particularly useful if we're not willing to sacrifice one of our caster attributes.

Tortle's base 17 AC (unaffected by DEX) could allow you to get some extra CON. If you know your DM isn't about to give you +1 armour, Natural Armor's AC is equal to what you'd get for half-plate with 14 DEX, so it's a trade-off worth considering. Now, DEX still has a bunch of other uses outside of AC, but 10 CON is on the low side.

Dwarves, meanwhile, don't have their speed reduced when wearing heavy armor that they don't have the STR requirement for. Now, if they don't have proficiency with heavy armor they'll still be saddled with a bunch of penalties, but if they can grab proficiency a 8 STR dwarf can run around in plate with no penalties. This means a Hill Dwarf (+1 WIS, +2 CON) could be a useful choice, given that Tempest's HA-proficiency is otherwise wasted. Mind you, certain faster races -- wood elves, at least -- can just eat the 10-feet speed reduction and end up the same speed as a dwarf.
    Last edited by Lavaeolus; 2020-06-02 at 07:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A friend of mine built a similar character once, but his build was 5 sorc, 3 cleric.

He was using lightning bolt for a single instance of 54 at his highest slot, which was pretty cool, but two uses of maxing a shot from upcast call lightning would be similarly powerful. Would recommend overall, that was a great campaign and a great character.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

A few questions.....

1. What level are you starting?
    2. How are you getting a legendary staff so early?
    3. 10 Con? How are you planning to survive level 1 as a Sorc with a 10 Con? You're going to be terrible at passing Con checks assuming whatever damage you take doesn't kill you anyway.

I'd revamp as a Half-Elf for better stats(more Con). Adept(Lightning) is not strictly necessary anyway. I like the Thunder damage spells from Tempest better also.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shotpongball View Post
    up-casted call lightenings which we can quick cast then use action on same turn to cast again
    You can't cast any spell that isn't a Cantrip on a round in which you cast a spell which is a bonus action to cast. AIUI

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    A few questions.....

1. What level are you starting?
    2. How are you getting a legendary staff so early?
    3. 10 Con? How are you planning to survive level 1 as a Sorc with a 10 Con? You're going to be terrible at passing Con checks assuming whatever damage you take doesn't kill you anyway.

I'd revamp as a Half-Elf for better stats(more Con). Adept(Lightning) is not strictly necessary anyway. I like the Thunder damage spells from Tempest better also.
    1. Did start level 1. and it was tough not having the con. But taking use of tempestuous magic to get me out of sticky situations definetly helped.
    2. This character is being played in Adventures league. just got it recently so thats why i stated really only the ring of spell storing was helping for the majority of the game,
    3. very carefully. but as i say that i played this character as kind of a ditz so i did get myself into a lot of situations. DM was nice maybe for the first few levels, but i did survive with my movement

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    You can't cast any spell that isn't a Cantrip on a round in which you cast a spell which is a bonus action to cast. AIUI
    Second use isnt a cast. its more of an activation

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaeolus View Post
    Up to you if you want to take advantage, but on very MAD builds there are some racial features that can alleviate our low physical stats -- particularly useful if we're not willing to sacrifice one of our caster attributes.

Tortle's base 17 AC (unaffected by DEX) could allow you to get some extra CON. If you know your DM isn't about to give you +1 armour, Natural Armor's AC is equal to what you'd get for half-plate with 14 DEX, so it's a trade-off worth considering. Now, DEX still has a bunch of other uses outside of AC, but 10 CON is on the low side.

Dwarves, meanwhile, don't have their speed reduced when wearing heavy armor that they don't have the STR requirement for. Now, if they don't have proficiency with heavy armor they'll still be saddled with a bunch of penalties, but if they can grab proficiency a 8 STR dwarf can run around in plate with no penalties. This means a Hill Dwarf (+1 WIS, +2 CON) could be a useful choice, given that Tempest's HA-proficiency is otherwise wasted. Mind you, certain faster races -- wood elves, at least -- can just eat the 10-feet speed reduction and end up the same speed as a dwarf.

Did have the idea to use a race that gave bonuses. didn't think of tortle though so that's a great option to move the DEX to CON.
    felt that the elemental adept Lightening fit more background wise so thats what i went with.

Thank you for the option if next time i want to build this character again!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Second use isnt a cast. its more of an activation
    Quickend upcast Call Lightning + action gives you 2 4d10 bolts (max for 40) each on a dex save. Which is pretty nice but cost you 2 SP and 2 CD. Which you can do exactly once per day at lvl 8 (Soc2/Cle6). Or once per SR if you start sacrificing spell slots. You need to be outdoor for this to work. So this makes it kinda circumstantial. Upcast Shatter gives 5d8 (or 40) on a con save with a far larger AoE. Thunder though, so no pushing.

BTW, Thunderbolt Strike only works on Large or smaller creatures and only on Lightning damage, not Thunder. Which sucks because you don't have that many Lightning spells as a Tempest Cleric.

I'm playing a Hill Dwarf Storm Soc 1 / Tempest Cleric 7 in Storm King's Thunder at the moment. AC 20 in full-plate with shield, con 16 so avg 73 HP. Upcast Aid for my melee buddies at dawn. In combat I use Spiritual Weapon and Spiritual Guardian or Call Lightning or Bless depending on adversaries. CD I save for the occasional critical Shocking Grasp or upcast Shatter panic button. Lots of fun.
    Last edited by Sjappo; 2020-06-03 at 08:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sjappo View Post
    Quickend upcast Call Lightning + action gives you 2 4d10 bolts (max for 40) each on a dex save. Which is pretty nice but cost you 2 SP and 2 CD. Which you can do exactly once per day at lvl 8 (Soc2/Cle6). Or once per SR if you start sacrificing spell slots. You need to be outdoor for this to work. So this makes it kinda circumstantial. Upcast Shatter gives 5d8 (or 40) on a con save with a far larger AoE. Thunder though, so no pushing.

BTW, Thunderbolt Strike only works on Large or smaller creatures and only on Lightning damage, not Thunder. Which sucks because you don't have that many Lightning spells as a Tempest Cleric.

I'm playing a Hill Dwarf Storm Soc 1 / Tempest Cleric 7 in Storm King's Thunder at the moment. AC 20 in full-plate with shield, con 16 so avg 73 HP. Upcast Aid for my melee buddies at dawn. In combat I use Spiritual Weapon and Spiritual Guardian or Call Lightning or Bless depending on adversaries. CD I save for the occasional critical Shocking Grasp or upcast Shatter panic button. Lots of fun.
    I guess its more for the burst. being 80 damage in one round upcasting call lightening + activation compared to 40 when you upcast shatter. yeah you use your ability points, but whats the point in having them if you dont use them.

When you get high enough in sorcerer (level 6 i believe), anytime you cast a lightning/thunder spell you can deal lightening damage to every foe within 10 feet pushing them back via thunderbolt strike.

And i wanted to try the tank class of this but went for the ranged spell caster version. not sure how leveling sorcerer would fare for the tank version.

forgot to mention. Call lightening got errata'd. doesn't need to be outside and the 100 foot requirement is gone. just needs to be a big room
    Last edited by shotpongball; 2020-06-03 at 09:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

forgot to mention. Call lightening got errata'd. doesn't need to be outside and the 100 foot requirement is gone. just needs to be a big room
    Is that so? Good news. Thanx.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

It still needs to be outside. That didn't change in the errata.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You won't need anything other than Cleric and Sorc.

You are primarily an AoE caster. Look for ways to use that; don't worry too much about single target damage. I found it useful to tell my party "if you don't stay out of good AoE target areas, I will assume that you don't mind my casting on you."

Remember your sorc movement when you need to get away without provoking opportunity attack.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    It still needs to be outside. That didn't change in the errata.
    Read the spell again, and the erratum. Basically it boils down to needing a space of 10 ft. high and 60 ft radius to create the storm cloud. After that zap, something under the cloud. So either outside or in one heck of a huge room. So ... realistically speaking ... no indoor casting of Call Lightning. To bad.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    I found it useful to tell my party "if you don't stay out of good AoE target areas, I will assume that you don't mind my casting on you."
    i really like this and will probably start using it. so many times my party member will run into the middle of a group of 4 baddies then im stuck not being able to cast my powerful spells