New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Mouthpick a two-handed weapon?

Lords of Madness: Mouthpick weapons are a +1 enhancement to a weapon, making them wieldable by creatures with a bite attack

Quote Originally Posted by Mouthpick Weapon
    A mouthpick weapon looks similar to a normal weapon, but when a qualifying creature places the handle in its mouth, the handle writhes and transforms into a shape that can be wielded easily in the creature's jaws. The creature's natural bite attack is now replaced by the weapon attack... While wielded in a creature's mouth, the weapon automatically grants the creature proficiency with its use.
    So if a character has a bite attack, and gets a mouthpick enchantment to a an exotic weapon, does that mean they are now proficient with that exotic weapon?

Are there limits on what kinds of weapons can be so enchanted and wielded? Could a weapon that is normally two-handed (greataxe, greatsword) be wielded by a strong large creature with a powerful bite attack (bear, for example)? A bear with a greataxe in its mouth strikes me as a really funny concept to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Mouthpick a two-handed weapon?

A two handed weapon can be made into a mouthpick, as evidenced by the picture of a mouthpick Falchion accompanying the mouthpick description, as well as the RAW. As for the question of proficency, that's a pretty clear yes, it can grant Exotic Weapon Proficiency as well, when wielded in the creature's mouth by RAW. Evidence for that being specifically RAI is a bit fuzzier, but it can grant a creature with no weapon proficiency martial weapon proficiency at the very least, so it's really not a stretch to imagine that it can grant EWP as well, combined with the fact that there's nothing that would indicate that exotic weapons can't be mouthpicks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    A two handed weapon can be made into a mouthpick, as evidenced by the picture of a mouthpick Falchion accompanying the mouthpick description, as well as the RAW.
    I had not even looked at the details of the picture. Thanks.

This strikes me as an interesting way to qualify for things that require exotic weapon proficiencies. Be a creature with a bite attack, and wield it in your mouth.

The limitation is that "Mouthpick weapons are of Large size". But enchanted weapons resist to the size of the wielder, right? This is an exception to that rule, that makes it hard for a medium PC to use it to qualify as having martial or exotic weapon proficiency.
    Show
    Iron Chef awards:

4. - Top - End - #4

WhiteWizardGirl

If you read the line carefully, it actually says this: "The weapon must be of a size the beholder would normally use, or it takes a penalty for using an awkwardly sized weapon. Mouthpick weapons are of Large size." Now, the fact that it is a possibility for a beholder to be using an awkwardly sized mouth-pick (If mouthpick weapons must be large, the only way that could happen would be an advanced beholder or one under a size-lathering spell), combined with the fact that "Recently, mouthpick weapons have begun to gain favor among other creatures that lack hands but have a natural bite attack" indicates to me that the statement about mouthpick weapons being large is just a general statement about most Mouthpick weapons, and not a rule. (However, by RAW, yes, all mouthpick weapons are Large sized. Going off of that, if you were to enchant a fine weapon with mouthpick [as there are no restrictions preventing you from doing so] that fine weapon would immediately grow to large size. There might be some sort of infinite wealth loop you can pull off with this using expensive metals?)
    Also, enchanted weapons do not resize to match the wielder in any case, regardless of the presence or absence of the mouthpick property, nor do armors or shields. (Rules Compendium 83-84).
    Last edited by Evoker; 2020-06-03 at 12:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    Also, enchanted weapons do not resize to match the wielder in any case, regardless of the presence or absence of the mouthpick property, nor do armors or shields. (Rules Compendium 83-84).
    Huh. Look at that. The rule in Rules Compendium surprises me. It could be interpreted to only apply to mundane armor and weapons, though. But I can't find any other rule about Magically enchanted weapons.

We have always played that magical enchanted weapons and armor resize to fit a wearer (so small PCs are not penalized in selecting really useful loot from a medium enemy killed). Is that just a houserule that I assumed was canon?
    Show
    Iron Chef awards:

6. - Top - End - #6

WhiteWizardGirl

I believe so, yes. It's a good houserule if the GM doesn't want to screw over their players whenever they send a giant with a magical weapon or armor after the party, and it seems that a lot of people play with it without even realizing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    I had not even looked at the details of the picture. Thanks.

This strikes me as an interesting way to qualify for things that require exotic weapon proficiencies. Be a creature with a bite attack, and wield it in your mouth.

The limitation is that "Mouthpick weapons are of Large size". But enchanted weapons resist to the size of the wielder, right? This is an exception to that rule, that makes it hard for a medium PC to use it to qualify as having martial or exotic weapon proficiency.
    Strongarm bracers don't actually require you to use your arms to hold the weapon.

You could also replace mouthpick with skillful, another weapon property that automatically grants proficiency.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Why stop at two handed weapons?

Get one of them marilith scissor swords.