New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Barbarian path help

Starting curse of the strahd soon at third-level. Party makeup is me Ranger wizard Warlock and Paladin. DM says probably will go to 13th level being that we're starting it at third level. Was just going to go standard bear totem but is there really a need for that. Is there going to be a lot of other elements in that campaign other than bludgeoning piercing slashing? Don't most Undead just do regular damage with their attacks. Party is not that tactical other than myself. They just like dealing out damage as much as they can. So granting them advantage or disadvantage against them from enemies and having them trying to keep me alive to gain the benefit probably won't help much.....Thougjts?

Also. Went half orc, was thinking of great weapons master at 4 and going crit Fishing
    Last edited by dnd2016; 2020-06-03 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Adding more info

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Barbarian path help

Considering that this is CoS and that there will likely be undead involved, Zealot Barbarian sounds like a good option for the Radiant damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post
    Starting curse of the strahd soon at third-level. Party makeup is me Ranger wizard Warlock and Paladin. DM says probably will go to 13th level being that we're starting it at third level. Was just going to go standard bear totem but is there really a need for that. Is there going to be a lot of other elements in that campaign other than bludgeoning piercing slashing? Don't most Undead just do regular damage with their attacks. Party is not that tactical other than myself. They just like dealing out damage as much as they can. So granting them advantage or disadvantage against them from enemies and having them trying to keep me alive to gain the benefit probably won't help much.....Thougjts?

Also. Went half orc, was thinking of great weapons master at 4 and going crit Fishing
    Bear is great if you are the only frontline or in a small group. But since it sounds like you are in a warrior party, go Wolf. Having them try to keep you alive, a raging half-orc, seems almost redundant. Meanwhile, advantage on all their melee with your foes seems like they can help with the best healing there is: dead foe equals no more damage. Nothing frustrates more at that level than rolling less than an 8 for 3 rounds in a row...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Zealot gives you D6+1/2 level radiant damage on one attack each round. It's super-helpful against vampires and many other undead.

The "carries the most" character in my Castlevania game is playing a dwarven zealot barbarian with GWM. Against low-AC monsters, reckless raging GWM attack for somewhere around... +3 (w/Adv) for 2d6+4(str)+1(wpn)+4?(rage)+1d6+4+10. He gets a bonus attack if he reduces an enemy to 0.

He was smart enough to start off with a maul for the +damage vs skeletons.

Add haste in there and his damage routine is easily over 120 in a round with a potential 4 hits and a 10% crit chance per-hit.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post

If combat is what your after, Totem path and selecting bear will make you the tank/flanking buddy. Zealot provides radiant damage that will be good against undead and CoS has plenty of them. However, if you are wanting variety in combat consider the Ancestral path or the Storm Path. You will still be effective in combat but just doing other thing beyond "rage and smash". If your DM is willing to all Unearth Arcana there is the Beast Path essentially making you a partial lycanthrop and Wild Soul Path has plenty of magical shennanigans you can do.

Thing to remember is if you are wanting to have fun, feel free to experement.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Zealot gives you D6+1/2 level radiant damage on one attack each round. It's super-helpful against vampires and many other undead.

The "carries the most" character in my Castlevania game is playing a dwarven zealot barbarian with GWM. Against low-AC monsters, reckless raging GWM attack for somewhere around... +3 (w/Adv) for 2d6+4(str)+1(wpn)+4?(rage)+1d6+4+10. He gets a bonus attack if he reduces an enemy to 0.

He was smart enough to start off with a maul for the +damage vs skeletons.

Add haste in there and his damage routine is easily over 120 in a round with a potential 4 hits and a 10% crit chance per-hit.
    Ha, thats pretty much my build in my head.Except, half orc for crit fishing.

7. - Top - End - #7

MonkGuy

Perhaps after 5-6 levels of Zealot, you go Champion Fighter for 3 levels for that sweet expanded crit range and Action Surge?

Work that Divibe Champion angle?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, i have thought of that

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanVoodoo View Post
    If combat is what your after, Totem path and selecting bear will make you the tank/flanking buddy. Zealot provides radiant damage that will be good against undead and CoS has plenty of them. However, if you are wanting variety in combat consider the Ancestral path or the Storm Path. You will still be effective in combat but just doing other thing beyond "rage and smash". If your DM is willing to all Unearth Arcana there is the Beast Path essentially making you a partial lycanthrop and Wild Soul Path has plenty of magical shennanigans you can do.

Thing to remember is if you are wanting to have fun, feel free to experement.
    Yes we can use UA if we want. And wild Souls looks like a lot of fun!. But numbers one and three are going to bother my party