New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Star Trek: Nereid {IC}

Captain's Log, Stardate 48324.6

The
    Nereid is ready for departure. We have finished our resupply after our last mission to the Gamma Quadrant, and the crew at Deep Space nine has helped us with the repairs to our sensor array with surprising efficiency. We have had a few new crew members embark while we were at DS9, with those who have completed their tours disembarking while we were at the station.

The
    Nereid is scheduled to depart DS9 in less than an hour. We have a course laid in for the Badlands, and will be proceeding at maximum warp. With luck, we will find Captain Janeway and Voyager on an M class planetoid or asteroid making repairs. Something, anything, to explain the disappearance. And worst case scenario, we find evidence that she was destroyed by either the Maquis or the Badlands themselves. Voyager may have been Janeway's first command, but she served with Admiral Paris for years, and I can't see her losing her ship to the Maquis, not without getting some kind of word to Starfleet Command.

Let's just hope that those sensor enhancements Chief O'Brien recommended help us cut through the disturbances the Badlands are known for.

End Log.

The doors to the Captain's Ready Room whoosh open, and Captain Vess steps out of the Ready Room. Striding over to her chair, she takes her seat, entering her access code on the panel built into the armrest.

She then speaks.

"Everyone aboard, Number One? Last chance for anyone to get off for a couple of weeks."
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-06-06 at 01:51 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Star Trek: Nereid {IC}

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    "Everyone aboard, Number One? Last chance for anyone to get off for a couple of weeks."
    "The crew is at their stations and Commander Kira at DS9 has cleared us for departure. Let's go find Voyager." Commander Hobb is standing with her hands folded behind her back but she looks full of energy, eager to get underway. She smiles and nods in the direction of the helm, adding, "Commander Kovacs' hand has been hovering over the docking clamp release since the start of shift, so, we await your order."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-06-06 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zija swiveled away from the tactical station at the mention of the Militia liason.

"I saw the Commander at services. I, uh, didn't have a chance to speak with her, obviously."

She turned back to her consoles, making sure that she had the appropriate sensors linked in. They hopefully wouldn't need the weapons this soon, but the Badlands were an enemy all to themselves sometimes.

"Any of y'all taken a spin through the Badlands before? They said we were crazy for going there willingly, and they were probably right."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    "The crew is at their stations and Commander Kira at DS9 has cleared us for departure. Let's go find Voyager." Commander Hobb is standing with her hands folded behind her back but she looks full of energy, eager to get underway. She smiles and nods in the direction of the helm, adding, "Commander Kovacs' hand has been hovering over the docking clamp release since the start of shift, so, we await your order."
    “Very good. Signal Ops. Let them know we are ready to depart, and take us out.”

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Commander Nicolas Kovacs, Conn

Kovacs smirks as Hobb is mentioning his eagerness to get rolling. She wasn't wrong. Of course not, as if he could hide it from her.

On Zija's question, he answers: "In simulations, yes. In reality, only with smaller crafts, and only at its outer rims. If it's true what they say, the simulations... well... Let's say we might well expect a bumpy ride. I'll give my best not to overstrain the deflector shields. Promised." He winks at the tactical officer. He enjoys this friendly banter between crew members during leisure times, as he is a very approachable person himself. Those who experienced a stressful situation with him know that he can absolutely tune this out and turn to full focus in an instant.

(...)

He makes a few last adjustments on the Conn, and when he gets confirmation from Ops that all systems are "go", he announces "Course plotted, ready for lift off. Initiating undocking maneuver."
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-06-06 at 06:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Nereid after clearing to one AU from DS9, goes to warp.

Captain Vess turns to look back toward Ops. "Mr. Delix, we should be arriving in the Badlands in an hour. I would like a full sensor scan as soon as we arrive, It may have faded or dispersed by now, but hopefully we can pick up some sign of Voyager's trail."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Commander Hobb takes stock of things, also answering Zija's question at the same time. "Right, this is new to me as well, and there have been reports of Maquis and Cardassian ships in the area. Let's keep our eyes peeled for ships that might be trying to hide."

8. - Top - End - #8

The Nereid after clearing to one AU from DS9, goes to warp.

Captain Vess turns to look back toward Ops. "Mr. Delix, we should be arriving in the Badlands in an hour. I would like a full sensor scan as soon as we arrive, It may have faded or dispersed by now, but hopefully we can pick up some sign of Voyager's trail."
    Replying to the captain, Delix responds "We will have full sensor scans upon arrival. If there is something to find there, I am sure we will find it. But I have an uneasy feeling about the lack of contact though. We will be prepared for whatever we find."

He then addresses himself to the commander "I have not had a chance to explore the badlands before, but I am sure we will be more than sufficient for the task at hand. Everyone here has a most exemplary record of service."

Delix is clearly a cheerful, but intellectual person who wants everyone to just do their best and get along. He focuses on his task, making sure everything is ready as soon as they come out of warp.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Soon enough, the plasma storms that make up the Badlands are in visual range. Captain Vess orders the ship to impulse.

“Mister Delix. A full sensor scan of the area, if you please.”

Spoiler: Task: Sensor Sweep
    Show
    This is a Difficulty 1 Reason+Science Task.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

10. - Top - End - #10

Kovacs

"Aye." he confirms the captain's order regarding speed, followed by repeating the exact ordered speed, and a measurement of how long it will take to reach the first anomalies given the new speed. Kovacs' fingers run over his consoles ordering another self-check of the steering system.

11. - Top - End - #11

Soon enough, the plasma storms that make up the Badlands are in visual range. Captain Vess orders the ship to impulse.

“Mister Delix. A full sensor scan of the area, if you please.”

Spoiler: Task: Sensor Sweep
    Show
    This is a Difficulty 1 Reason+Science Task.
    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    (2d20)[14][15](29) with a target of 16 and using focus Computers because he is utilizing the computer to run the sensor scan

Delix starts furiously punching in information to the computer, initiating a full sensor scan of the surrounding area. He focuses on his task at hand, not remembering to acknowledge the order. As soon as the results are received, he relays them to Captain Vess in full detail.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-06-09 at 11:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sensor data starts to flood in.

As Delix starts analyzing it, he is able to pick up a washed out particle field. The particles are consistent with a warp trail left by a Federation ship that entered the Badlands a month ago.

There is also evidence that the intensity of the plasma storms has increased over the last month.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    With the use of your focus, you have gained two Momentum.

“Mister Kovacs, follow that trail.”

Show
    This is a Control+Conn Task at Difficulty 3.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-06-09 at 09:00 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

“Mister Kovacs, follow that trail.”
    Alea, who has very little skill in piloting, still senses that this may be a big ask for the pilot. She decides to see if the others can assist: "Lieutenant Zija, keep checking the tactical sensors as well. Mr. Delix, could the Bussard Collectors be recalibrated to help us sniff out this trail? Or perhaps we could divert processing power from the EMH system?"

Show
    At the GM's discretion, seeing whether these other folks can roll a d20 for Assistance. Lew the EMH has a decent score for this mechanics-wise but I know it's a bit of a reach to have him roll to help.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kovacs

"Voyager probably took a then-optimal route, but the anomalies here change quickly. Delix," he addresses the ops officer and prior fellow student at the academy. "Could you apply an online algorithm to extrapolate the trail and intersect it with anomaly prediction to give me an probabilistic optimal channel to squeeze through?"

He then focuses on his task combining different engine systems to reach high maneuverability at decent speed. Where others would have seen an opportunity to impress their commanding officer, Kovacs was fully determined to the goal he mumbles "... let's find voyager, and stay in one piece ..."

Show

(2d20)[5][3](8) vs. target number 16. Hopefully applicable: Focus and Talent to decrease difficulty by 1 (see OOC). And of course the help by Delix.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Alea, who has very little skill in piloting, still senses that this may be a big ask for the pilot. She decides to see if the others can assist: "Lieutenant Zija, keep checking the tactical sensors as well. Mr. Delix, could the Bussard Collectors be recalibrated to help us sniff out this trail? Or perhaps we could divert processing power from the EMH system?"

Show
    At the GM's discretion, seeing whether these other folks can roll a d20 for Assistance. Lew the EMH has a decent score for this mechanics-wise but I know it's a bit of a reach to have him roll to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Kovacs

"Voyager probably took a then-optimal route, but the anomalies here change quickly. Delix," he addresses the ops officer and prior fellow student at the academy. "Could you apply an online algorithm to extrapolate the trail and intersect it with anomaly prediction to give me an probabilistic optimal channel to squeeze through?"

He then focuses on his task combining different engine systems to reach high maneuverability at decent speed. Where others would have seen an opportunity to impress their commanding officer, Kovacs was fully determined to the goal he mumbles "... let's find voyager, and stay in one piece ..."

Show

(1d20)[7] vs. target number 16. Hopefully applicable: Focus and Talent to decrease difficulty by 1 (see OOC). And of course the help by Delix.
    Delix hears Alea's suggestion and starts trying to figure out if any of the collectors could be used. He briefly acknowledges the others with an "I will run a multiphasic scan to sift through the interference and use the computer to calculate a then-optimal path that they would likely travel upon to give us a destination." He then gets to work running calculations as fast as the computer can handle, feeding sensor data in the model and calculating likely trajectory paths to find the optimal one.

Show
    (1d20)[7] Assistance using Science+Reason for a TN of 16, per the OOC thread. Though, I don't think she needs my help anymore with her 3 successes from her focus counting double (a 3) and the 5. Having more momentum never hurts though.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-06-10 at 05:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    With the successful task and the reduction in difficulty, you have another momentum you can bank.

Delix sifts through the data from the sensors and sends course corrections to the Conn.

At the Conn, Kovacs has hands that are dancing along the controls. And the Nereid is dancing to his tune. Deftly avoiding the worst of the storms, you find yourself coming up to what appears to be a safe zone of a sort.

Delix reports the presence of several M-class planetoids in the vicinity.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing to scan the nearby area, Delix finds something of note. There is fragmentation consistent with a Starfleet vessel of some kind drifting through space 9000 kilometers ahead and to port. However, the scans also reveal that a Cardassian vessel is in the area, the trail of propulsion particles being less than a day old.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18

Zija checks the readout again, just to make sure, before reporting her findings.

"Commander, there are particles consistent with Cardassian propulsion methods near that debris. Less than 24 hours gone, looks like."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jolinaxas View Post
    Zija checks the readout again, just to make sure, before reporting her findings.

"Commander, there are particles consistent with Cardassian propulsion methods near that debris. Less than 24 hours gone, looks like."
    "Captain, I recommend we go to Yellow Alert, and scan the debris field for weapons signatures." Alea adds, "Mister Delix, are there any identifying marks on that ship, or sections that are intact enough to beam to?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

“Agreed,” the captain says, and then gives the command. Immediately, panels flash the yellow alert. The shields are brought online, the phasers are powered, and crews begin loading the torpedo launchers.

“Mister Kovacs, bring us to one kilometer from the debris and then sync the shields to lower and raise along with a transporter cycle. Let’s see what we can learn about what happened here.”

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21

Kovacs

"Aye Captain. Course is set. Arrival in <> seconds. Should we send a hail over known frequences?"

Show
    It's difficult to say how fast we can actually cover the distance, but my research says it's a matter of seconds.

"Kell, prepare shield modulation. Kovacs to Transporter Chief, prepare Transporter room 2 for fragment inhaul, radiation level and coordinates to follow from Ops." He nods over to Delix at the console next to him, so that he would patch through the required information.

His voice is friendly and matter of fact, as he delegates the orders.

Show

Two things:
    1) I understand it as the captain ordering me to do all this stuff -- as some of it is not in my normal field, I delegated. If I misunderstood, we can retcon. It does fit Kovacs, though, to take this responsibility the moment it's offered.
    2) I'm making stuff on the fly here. I assume that we have more than one transporter room, and that transporter room 1 is more to welcome guests, and that transporter room 2 is more for cargo inhaul.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-06-14 at 05:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Delix searches for any identifying marks and relays along all he finds.

"aye, sir. We're ready when transport is." He prepares to scan for radiation and ensure no environmental contaminates are leaked across the ship. He isolates the air in the cargo hold until scans are complete.

23. - Top - End - #23

Junior Lieutenant Kell turned back to the Tactical Station.

"You ready down there? I'm only adjusting these for a moment. Not gonna leave us high and dry with busted ships and Cardassians around."

Spoiler
    Show

Control 11 + Engineering 2. No focus apply. Not sure if part of the ship would assist, but that can be rolled by anyone if so.
    (1d20)[2](1d20)[16]

24. - Top - End - #24

Kovacs

"Acknowledged. Transporter room 2, shield modulation will be online shortly and only in a brief window." Once shield modulation is online, he adds: "Energize."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The debris materializes in Cargo Bay 3, and the shields cycle perfectly.

Continued scans do not reveal the Cardassian ship.

“Mister Delix, go see what we brought aboard.”

As Delix heads to the turbolift, a sudden impact rocks the ship! An EPS conduit ruptures sending a shower of sparks across the bridge, and Crewman Tabit is thrown down, her face burned by the plasma discharge.

“Lock that conduit down! Medical team to the bridge! Damage report!”
    Show
    Spending 2 Threat to generate a plasma storm.

Remaining Threat pool: 8

The ship has suffered no major damage, just a few ruptured power conduits.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-06-15 at 10:50 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #26

Zija takes a quick look around at the sudden disturbance, but quickly checks her display when commanded.

"Shields and other tactical systems unharmed, captain. No other ships on scans, it's probably the Badlands getting a little personal."

27. - Top - End - #27

Kovacs

Kovacs, startled as the others, pulls up his left to shield himself for impact or sparks. Being unharmed, he quickly regains composure.

"Drive systems unharmed. Initiating evasive action. Should I get us out of here?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Trying to evade further hits.

(2d20)[1][16](17) with Focus (Evasive action), Control (11) + Conn (5) = 16. Let me know if others are required. Daring maybe?

If its Control + Conn, I count 3 successes.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-06-16 at 04:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Delix starts to leave to check on the cargo when the bridge suddenly fills with sparks and he is thrown to the ground. He recovers quickly and returns to his station to check on scanners and engineering. Seeing no major damage, he reports, "No damage to engineering, scanners online. Scanning....it seems we are in a plasma storm. Suggest moving to clear space." He calls out the heading for the nearest clear space his scanners can pick out.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Scanning for clear space: (2d20)[14][6](20) vs 16 for Reason(11)+Science(5) check

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    Seeing no major damage, he reports, "No damage to engineering, scanners online. Scanning....it seems we are in a plasma storm. Suggest moving to clear space."
    "It's the Badlands, clear may be relative. Do what you can, Mister Delix, Mister Kovacs." Alea is already in motion over to Crewman Tabit.

"Activate EMH!"

She'll see what the EMH recommends, and assist in pointing him to the wounded crewman.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-06-16 at 09:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

The ship continues to rock as the plasma storm rages through space around you.

But with some good flying from the conn, soon enough, you reach a space clear of the sudden storm.

“Good flying,” the captain says. “Now, Mister Delix, lets find out if that debris is from Voyager, or if we have more to do here.”

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!