New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Eidolons and their Attacks (NOT Unchained summoner)

Can an Eidolon wielding 2 swords with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, 4 arms (2 with swords, 2 with claws), 2 legs with claws, wings, and a tail do the following at max level with a full-attack?

5 weapon attacks
    +24 Main hand
    +24 Off Hand
    +19 Main Hand
    +19 Off Hand
    +14 Main Hand

7 Natural Attacks (All at +24 due to Secondary w/ Multiattack)
    4 Claws
    2 Wing Buffets
    1 Tail Slap

If so, is there a RAW for it so I can bookmark it? I have seen this discussed before but I never could find a RAW for it, and I have friends that tend to get a bit skeptical when I say that my Eidolon can do this based on a majority of topics I've seen... Hell, even I'm a bit skeptical because it DOES seem absurd...
    Last edited by Ourian7491; 2020-06-04 at 06:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eidolons and their Attacks (NOT Unchained summoner)

Yes, an eidolon can do that, because the rules for the "Max Attacks" limitation in their progression table says (my emphasis):

"This indicates the maximum number of natural attacks that the eidolon is allowed to possess at the given level. If the eidolon is at its maximum, it cannot take evolutions that grant additional natural attacks. This does not include attacks made with weapons."

So a biped eidolon of a half-elf Wild Caller with max 5 Extra Evolution feats, max racial Favored Class Bonus for 5 additional evolution points and greater evolution surge could end up with no less than 23 pairs of arms, giving for example the following full attack sequence with Multiweapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, haste and a tentacle bought with the last evo point (based on your numbers):

51 weapon attacks:
    • 2 Main hand attacks @ +25
    • 45 Off Hand attacks @ +25
    • 1 Main Hand attack @ +20
    • 1 Off Hand attack @ +20
    • 1 Main Hand attack @ +15
    • 1 Off Hand attack @ +15

4 secondary natural attacks @ +25:
    • 1 bite
    • 2 claws (legs)
    • 1 tentacle

TOTAL: 55 attacks

This can get even more ridiculous if the eidolon wields one-handed ranged weapons, though the hit probability won't be great unless they're pistols targeting touch AC. And in terms of "number of projectiles fired", the ultimate silliness would be wielding under-sized (and thus one-handed) minotaur double crossbows with Crossbow Mastery (fires two projectiles per attack and has free action reload at the "cost" of requiring one single free hand for reloading, see spoiler).

Spoiler: Minotaur Double Crossbow
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Monsters Revisited, page 42:
    Minotaur Double Crossbow
    Minotaurs have a love of complicated things, and the double crossbow is one of their favorites. This heavy weapon fires a pair of iron-tipped bolts with deadly accuracy. Due to its size and weight, however, non-proficient wielders suffer a –8 penalty on their attack rolls. Even proficient wielders take a –2 penalty on their attack rolls. If the attack is successful, the target takes the listed damage twice, although critical hits and precision based damage are only applied to one of the bolts. Reloading a double crossbow takes 2 standard actions (one for each bolt), although the Rapid Reload feat reduces this to 2 move actions (meaning that it can be accomplished in 1 round).
    300 gp, 1d8 piercing, 19-20/x2 crits, 100 ft. range, 18 lb.

(Note that this is not the same weapon as the garbage known as the double crossbow published in the APG (different fluff, different range, different penalties, different feat interaction). Nor was the MDXB ever replaced by the APG garbage or anything else, and it was even allowed in PFS.)

So, in comparison to bows, it costs you an extra feat and -2 to attack, and gives you free reload Manyshot-style double-bolts with every attack in return, instead of Manyshot's once per full attack.
    Last edited by upho; 2020-06-04 at 08:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Eidolons and their Attacks (NOT Unchained summoner)

thank you for that. That's cleared up a bunch of stuff at the table and good lord that's some crazy stuff. so many arms lmao