New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Giant Slide]

Tuskfang looks over in the direction the arrow is apparently pointing.

"Yeah, it goes right to the middle of the camp. We should go there and keep looking." He looks between the two girls. "Unless you wanna slide some more first."
    [Giant Slide]

"No, come on let's go." Jillian urges as she doesn't slow down heading in the direction the arrow was pointing.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Sophie returns soon after Domhnall, carrying a shotgun. Its barrel is made out of some kind of golden metal and ends in a stylized eagle's beak. The stock is fashioned out of dark red wood and covered in runes and patterns filled with the same golden metal.

"I really hope I won't need this, but here it is, just in case."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Ironoak Cabin

Dom nods.
    "Yeah, I wasn't gonna bring up the smell." It would really just be rude.
    Domhnall leads the exalt and the wolfen down the forest path back to where he met Anika, whistling all the way. He's very good at whistling. The giant redundant lungs help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Ironoak Cabin==> Moon Well

As Anika said, she will be meeting them at the moon well, not anywhere else.
    Of course, there don't seem to be any demons around here. Only Anika herself as she seems to be patrolling the perimeter of the little island the well is located on.
    "Who goes th-" She exclaims as she points her staff at them. "Oh, it's just you guys!" She rubs the back of her head. "Sorry, just a bit on the edge on the moment. I keep hearing stuff moving through the underbrush but it turns out to just be animals."

Moon Well

Pathfinder is a touch surprised, though it might be more difficult to tell with his wolfish features compared to most people. "So near? This shifting realm always seems full of surprises. If I'd but taken a day in this direction..." He mutters mostly to himself as he shakes his head. "It is a mixed blessing as it'll allow me to nurture this area better, but I had hoped it would be further away lest the demons or other greedy souls come for the moonwell." He doesn't hesitate and starts wading towards the little island, holding his bag above his head to keep it dry. "Normal animals, I would hope? Nothing corrupted?"

As he goes through the water, his bag clinks with glass. It sounds like...beer bottles?

"Would you know what happens if blood gets into the Moonwell?"
    He asks as well, turning slightly to look at Anika for her response. "And if a small fire can be made on the island shore, we'll need it."

3. - Top - End - #603
    Pixie in the Playground

[Karasu & Cheasadh]

Karasu waits until Cheasadh's said her bit before responding with a raised finger. "Hmm... couple things: one, Raptor Island ninja are law enforcement, so I already am a police officer, but in training. Works the same way in my homeworld: everyone has powers, but not everyone joins law enforcement. Most who pass through the Academy either become police or soldiers (like my parents). Two, I've killed before, just not sapient beings. Monster hunting, i.e. creatures who want nothing more than to feast on your entrails. Never alone of course, not only am I a trainee, but also a medic."

She raises up a third finger. "Three, I fully agree that no child should be made into a weapon for another's benefit. However, once you get to know Zara, I wonder if you'll still think she's lost her innocence just because she's a killer?" She says, referencing Zara's childish behaviour. "Acts quite like a little girl, you know. Makes her really good with children. No need to take my word for it, go see for yourself."

As for the second part, her glare begins to soften when Cheasadh reveals why she didn't answer. Karasu doesn't like it when she compliments someone and gets silence in return, isn't it common courtesy to at least respond with a 'thank you'? Or in Cheasadh's case, a "you're just saying that, you know I'm truly horrible"? The silence made her feel slighted, but hearing Cheasadh explain herself makes things make more sense.

"Oh, Chea..." She hugs the girl again, this time for long. When she pulls back, she looks sad. "So much self-loathing, borne from focusing on the negatives rather than the positives. Yet, what has it gotten you? An inability to recognize your progress, focusing instead on past misdeeds. An inability to see just how far you've come, instead hating yourself for what you were... past tense. Past is there to learn from, Chea! Look to the future and strive to be your best self so you don't repeat past mistakes! That's the way to be better." She wipes her tears, suddenly realizing she'd started crying. "Know this about me: I don't give compliments I don't mean. That I said all those things is 'cos I see you as such. Also why I was insulted by your silence, but I understand why now."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

[Giant Slide ==> Camp Centre]

And off the three little kids go, towards the centre of the camp. Once they reach the living cabins, they'll see another piece of the map, taped to a bench with very bright pink tape. Cheasadh's, no doubt. On it is another part of the map, this time showing a path between the camp centre towards its outskirts, with one large building. There's also a clue written:

Look for metal birds.
    "Metal birds? I haven't seen any metal birds here. It must be a riddle. This part is where the workshop is. It's always locked and kids can't go inside. But mom goes in sometimes."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

Domhnall will point out the rickety little bridge to Pathfinder, but won’t question if the wolfen prefers wading anyway. It’s not a very reassuring bridge. But he uses it anyway since it held his weight before.
    ”Hullo again Anika. Sounds like you had an uneventful vigil?” he asks cheerily. He can’t answer Pathfinder’s questions as he has no idea.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #606
    Orc in the Playground

Karasu & Cheasadh

"Things like that don't count. I'm specifically talking killing people, Karasu." Cheasadh stops to listen, and think. "Yes, I do think she's lost her innocence. Just, not the kind of innocence you're thinking. She's... still naïve, and innocent in that respect, but she's... Have you met a child who hasn't known death? Never knew a grandparent who died, have both parents, still on their first pet? That's the innocence she's lost, and not just lost. It's been murdered, by the hand of the man she still respects. She's good with children, on the surface. Underneath, I wonder how deep that goes." It might be Cheasadh's imagination, or her own experience with death and witnessing it, but it's something she thinks she feels sometimes.

Cheasadh leans into the hug. "I would not say self-loathing. Guilt, and self-knowledge, maybe. I've got a family, a great one. Friends, and so many of them. I do look back, and with Zara... I'm looking back, and it's looking closer than I'd like. That's why I don't feel I deserve it."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

Moonwell

"Dude, I've been a druid for a while. If they were corrupted, I'd tell you." Anika assures Pathfinder before glancing to Domhnall. "Yep, thankfully. Nothing to report at all which probably means that the demons don't have a base nearby at the very least."
    Then she turns back to Pathfinder once more and scratches her head. "We could probably make a fire here but I got no idea what'd happen if you put blood in the well. Blood magic is usually associated with demons though so I'd be careful with that. I heard warlocks sacrifice blood to them all the time." The druid raises an eyebrow. "So why do you need to know?"

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell]

Sophie likewise trusts the bridge, having no particular intention of getting into the water if she can help it.

"I also had no idea this well was here. Then again I'm not usually one for exploring the woods."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Halfling in the Playground

[Giant Slide]

Lucy has already bolted around and climbed the slide again, so she heads down with a woosh, lands in a tumble of hair and flailing limbs, then takes off toward the center of camp. She's filthy and giggling.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Karasu & Cheasadh

"Things like that don't count. I'm specifically talking killing people, Karasu." Cheasadh stops to listen, and think. "Yes, I do think she's lost her innocence. Just, not the kind of innocence you're thinking. She's... still naïve, and innocent in that respect, but she's... Have you met a child who hasn't known death? Never knew a grandparent who died, have both parents, still on their first pet? That's the innocence she's lost, and not just lost. It's been murdered, by the hand of the man she still respects. She's good with children, on the surface. Underneath, I wonder how deep that goes." It might be Cheasadh's imagination, or her own experience with death and witnessing it, but it's something she thinks she feels sometimes.

Cheasadh leans into the hug. "I would not say self-loathing. Guilt, and self-knowledge, maybe. I've got a family, a great one. Friends, and so many of them. I do look back, and with Zara... I'm looking back, and it's looking closer than I'd like. That's why I don't feel I deserve it."
    [Karasu & Cheasadh]

"Never killed anyone myself, and you don't have to tell me that, Chea. Big bro Mirai had to kill a man who'd just killed our parents in front of us, in order to protect me. He was 10 at the time, and I 5. He's always been super optimistic, and did everything to ensure I was safe but... he himself told me that 'taking a life changes you'." Karasu replies Cheasadh, turning to look at something in the distance, while she recalls her memories.

"He enjoys it, y'know. Killing people. He says it was hard at first, but it gets easier... everyone says it gets easier, but he quite enjoys it. He's like Zara in that respect. The difference is, he doesn't want to enjoy it, so he limits it to the best of his ability. When he told me he didn't want to feel that way, the pain in his voice... it was clear he didn't want to be that sort of person. I'm unfazed by killing the creatures, and I'm quite scared I'd be like that too. He got drunk one day as a girl, and made me promise I wouldn't be like that, but..." She looks sad again. "... Zara, on the other hand, is way past caring."

She turns back to face Cheasadh. "I know people like that, Chea. They always seem so... ignorant of how the world really is, but... everyone loses their innocence soon enough." She sounds partially like she wishes she'd gotten to experience what that's like: not knowing death. The other part is glad she learnt when she did, and it's the larger part. "You know what we call adults who haven't lost that innocence? Naive. The sort to fall into the trap of con-artists, and the like. So, I'd say Zara's loss of innocence isn't so much of a bad thing." At least, she learnt early on that the world can be 'kill or be killed'. Too early, maybe, but it's better than never.

After the hug, she gets on her knees so she can be closer to Cheasadh's face, smiling and stroking it fondly. "You may be younger than me, but you can count me as a friend. There's no rule that says friends have to be from the same age group... have a lot of older friends, myself." She stops to wipe more of the tears that'd started falling again. "And don't you ever think you don't deserve it, Chea. You've come so far, you've seen the error of your ways and are striving to be better. You're not Zara, Chea. I promise you, you're not her." She seems to be pleading with Cheasadh to recognize that their situations are more different than she realizes. "You were raised to be a racist, but you've grown better than that. She... she was molded into a killer. A sociopath. Heard of people like that, and even when they learn not to kill for no reason... just... you're not her, Chea."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

Karasu & Cheasadh

"I disagree, actually. Zara's lost her innocence, but I wouldn't say she wasn't naïve. That's trusting people they shouldn't, and Zara still trusts the man who had her kill." That's certainly a thing Cheasadh doesn't agree with. "I know not to trust strangers, you know that, Zara... might know that. But Zara also knows if she trusts someone she shouldn't, she can always kill them later. And... That's not necessarily a good thing. Especially since you say she's past caring. She'll kill if it's easier than anything else."

She smiles a little as she's hugged and her face is stroked. "Thank you, Karasu. I'm not Zara, you're right. But... But if it weren't for that monster, I might be."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Not far from GLoG, Sekhmet is trudging through the woods. The beautiful fiendling is bundled up against the cold and carrying a large cocoon. She's headed away from camp, she doesn't want to plant it too close by. She sends a telepathic message back to the Hive. So I, uh, just put this down in a good open place? Then what? The sooner she can get out of the cold, the better.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #613
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Out in the Woods]

The ungainly alien cocoon, well, it can't do much. Just gamely carried along in an empty sleep.
    Head a bit further out. Then, connect to it as you would any of our creatures, and will for it to grow. Osa provides answers, as before. Her mental voice in tinged with excitement.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

How much further? Sekhmet's already gone quite a ways.
    Oh, there's a clearing. Hopefully it's far enough, because she doesn't want to have to be out much longer. Will that work? At least Osa is excited about this experiment. Sekhmet's not entirely sure it's a good idea.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #615

It seems quite likely that it is a bad idea.
    But Sekhmet hasn't consulted anyone who's convinced her that it's a bad idea beforehand, and Osa thinks it's an okay idea, if a little strange.
    So they'll just have to find out by doing it!
    This is sufficient.

The life in the cocoon is in a deep sleep, hibernating until it has been delivered. No dreams, it is there to be noticed, but that is all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet gently sets the cocoon down in the center of the clearing. I just tell it to grow? Okay, uh, grow? Grow." She works up a little more certainty and concentration. Grow. Grow. "YTHFARR!" She suddenly shouts aloud. Her words, spoken in the tongue of fiends, have power. A burning glyph drifts from her tongue and settles itself on the cocoon, the fiendish power enhancing that which is already there.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #617

The contents of the cocoon shift, losing the last vestiges of their old form.
    The bottom of it splits as roots dig into the earth.
    The rest of the cocoon bulges outward, cracking and stretching in six directions along premade lines as the new lifeform begins to unfold and shape itself.

This all started once she concentrated, and said grow the third time. And so it would have gone, siphoning up nutrients through its roots, absorbing the light of the sun, expanding its shell, really quite quickly compared to most living things, but still taking weeks.
    Except Sekhmet went on to encourage her growth with a word of power, and now the new mother-hive is growing at breakneck speed. The shell continues expanding, every second just a little bigger than before, the ground being visibly distorted as roots shoot outward in all directions. The burning glyph rests at the center, steadily carried up and up.

What was that, what did you do? Osa asks, not upset, but rather amazed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

I, uh, don't know! I didn't mean to! Sekhmet walks backwards as the new mother hive keeps growing. Can you, uh, feel that? If Osa borrows Sekhmet's senses, she definitely can. Fiendish power is swirling around the hive, infusing into it using the glyph as a conduit. Sekhmet suddenly has to sit down, wiping sweat from her brow. "Oh, I'm tired." She feels like she's about to pass out. After all, it's her power that's being drawn upon for such a significant effect.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #619

No need for haste. Even growing as quick as it is, you'd have to stand still for a couple minutes before you were in the way.
    The princess focuses on Sekhmet directly. Yes. Your Form is all throughout the place, like when we expand the borders of a hive, but more intense. You must have put a great deal of power into her. That is to say, it reminds Osa of her own psionic powers. But those are rather more limited, helping the growth of only larval hivelings and the living carpet that defines their settlements. To grow an arbitrary creature like this...potentially incredible.
    The question - is Sekhmet actually going to pass out from a continuous drain on her magic?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-12-10 at 03:31 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

I, uh, don't know what, uh, you... The second question is answered when Sekhmet does pass out, falling into a deep slumber at the foot of the new hive. She may have overdone it, and she definitely didn't know what she was doing.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #621

Osa instructs a duke to reach out to Ellie, and try to maneuver the hound out here to watch over Sekhmet.
    And she keeps an herself on the fiendish energy she can sense (though much less clearly now that the fiend is asleep) through Sekhmet. It's not unheard of for one to die by overusing their powers. That would be quite a shame.

Meanwhile, the insensate mother-hive continues its growth.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Ellie comes quickly and is able to observe a healthy but unconscious Sekhmet lying there. Her body is still functioning, but it appears her higher brain functions are down for the count. In other words, she's peacefully asleep. But her power is surging out and into the glyph, and now there's some resonant power feeding back into her in the other direction too. What is happening?

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #623

Ellie is set to patrol around the clearing and drag Sekhmet further away from the growing mother once in a while.

It's not completely unfamiliar, but it is quite a surprise. This has become a place of power, like the old places of the precursors. How has Sekhmet done such a thing, and by accident?

When she wakes, the thing still has a lot of growing to do. But it has outgrown its first shell, and woven a second one, looking something like an eight-foot-tall barrel cactus combined with a sea star, pulsing like a fast-beating heart. Sekhmet is by now lain next to a tree at the edge of the clearing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet slowly wakes up and sits up, her back against the tree. Uh, what happened? How long was I asleep? Ugh, I have such a headache. She looks up at the mother with both normal eyes and her magical senses. The glyph is feeding her power back now, just a little bit more than she's putting in. Oh, uh, wow. This place, uh, it's mine. That's the best way she can express her connection to the growing hive creature. The area around it resonates with her power. It's feeding her and she's feeding it. By now, the growth is probably slowing, the glyph fading, but leaving a burnt scar where it was.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #625

It has been about four thousand seconds. You exhausted yourself attuning this place to you.
    It wouldn't normally scar at all, but perhaps with magic, one will eventually be able to see the glyph on the creature's hide.
    Examine the flow of power. She would not normally have such to give to you.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

4000 seconds? That's... Sekhmet does some mental math, About an hour? She sits and stares at the Mother. But, uh, what exactly did I do? How did I? She's really not sure about any of this.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #627

The functioning of your abilities is unclear. You used this-
    Sekhmet is shown the glyph and word which she spoke.
    "It seems to have widened the channel by which you draw power for your Form. Maybe this would be phrased as 'bringing the mother closer to hell'? It is hard to understand, even having witnessed it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

The Hive's terminology is sometimes rather arcane. Sekhmet's not quite sure what it means. Can you, uh, explain Form to me? Maybe if she understands what that is, she can understand what she did. For now, she just approaches the mother and places her hand against it, on a hunch.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

[Giant Slide ==> Camp Centre]

And off the three little kids go, towards the centre of the camp. Once they reach the living cabins, they'll see another piece of the map, taped to a bench with very bright pink tape. Cheasadh's, no doubt. On it is another part of the map, this time showing a path between the camp centre towards its outskirts, with one large building. There's also a clue written:

Look for metal birds.
    "Metal birds? I haven't seen any metal birds here. It must be a riddle. This part is where the workshop is. It's always locked and kids can't go inside. But mom goes in sometimes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Giant Slide]

Lucy has already bolted around and climbed the slide again, so she heads down with a woosh, lands in a tumble of hair and flailing limbs, then takes off toward the center of camp. She's filthy and giggling.
    [Camp Centre]

Jillian peers at the clue, reading it over carefully. "Metal birds." She mumbles. Her first instinct is to look up. Because birds fly. Maybe there's something above them?

30. - Top - End - #630

It is the power that some creatures have beyond what their physical nature describes. Your command over fire, a stalker's illusion, the more wholesome powers of the Hive's brothers.
    One can only hold so much power at once. For us it comes through life and blood and relics of the precursors.
    For you, it is different. Your mother was given certain powers when she was made, and they were passed on to you when by all rights you should have been only plain-human. It seems they are not of this place. But you have made them belong to this place.

Touching the mother will surely improve the circulating fiendish power between them, and give Sekhmet a clearer sense of how much she has grown and how much further she has to go. Certainly within a week, possibly within a day, she will wake. And this creature of the hive is connected naturally, automatically, to Sekhmet. Even Ellie had lived a while under the command of a duke. This is subtly different.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-12-12 at 06:21 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine