A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

Hawthorn Cabin
    "I, uh, don't even know what to say," Sekhmet continues. "I, uh, don't know what to do. I don't remember you, I was, uh, what, months old?" "My daughter, my queen," "Rose, uh, told me you regret what you did. Uh, with my mother." "We all make choices. Was it good for you to grow up away from your parents?" "I don't know." Braon is just ignored for now in favor of a tearful re(?)union.

Infirmary
    "Uh, she called herself 'Braon Hexenborne.' Uh, she said she led a goblin raid on inside to, uh, hurt children." Sekhmet seems very disturbed by this. "I think she won't come back. I, uh, scared her very well, I think. I, uh, threatened to lock her in Hell."

Campground
    "Uh, okay." Sekhmet stands up. "Uh... La la la la la!" She doesn't hit a clear note until the last one, which rings out across the lake. It's clear that she is endowed with a good voice, but of course she has no training. "Uh, how was that?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Spooky Tree]

Well Sasha doesn't go on a crazed eldritch rampage. That's a good thing.

But the little creature of shadows shakes her head again anyways, backing up into the tree, melding into its shadow. Merging into the dark world she truly lives in, merely a passing visitor to this world of light. Retreating there not for the sake of hiding away. But with the intention to go to his lab.

To see for herself. To prove Sophie wrong.
    He was still there.
    He had to be.

If Sophie wishes to stop this, she has a moment or two to react before Sasha becomes one with the darkness and leaves. If she does not wish to stop it, then Sophie will feel warmth return to the area as the monster exits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Hawthorn Cabin
    "I, uh, don't even know what to say," Sekhmet continues. "I, uh, don't know what to do. I don't remember you, I was, uh, what, months old?" "My daughter, my queen," "Rose, uh, told me you regret what you did. Uh, with my mother." "We all make choices. Was it good for you to grow up away from your parents?" "I don't know." Braon is just ignored for now in favor of a tearful re(?)union.
    [Hawthorne Cabin]

Braon scowls and wipes her cheeks, hiding her own reaction to this reunion. "No way in hell it was." She growls, angered by the question. "Do you really think there's ever been a daughter who was grateful not to have a father?" Braon's vines tremble with rage as she speaks. "You should be on your knees, begging for forgiveness for running out on her, you piece of troll dung!" She snaps, the wolf at her feet growling again.

Braon's newfound strength doesn't last very long, though. She leans back in her chair, eyes closed as she tries to get her breathing under control again; but she does have enough left in her for one more contemptuous snarl.

"Pathetic."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-14 at 12:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    Sekhmet glares at Braon. "Do you mind? He didn't leave me. We were separated when I was very young." Really, Braon, jumping to conclusions like that? Her own father must have left her. That's sad.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #1415

[Hawthorne Cabin]

"...But you... just said..." Braon starts confusedly, before it dawns on her. Sekhmet's declaration of "you ran away from me" was in reference to more recent times. Ananias ran away sometime shortly before Braon chased him down.

Well. Still bad. Just... not as much so. Also:

"Bastard... still owes me... a new... lung." Braon grumbles.

The wolf still advances on Ananias anyway, teeth bared. Braon takes a moment to notice it before barking out another command, causing the wolf to back away a short distance and set itself down on its haunches.

"I'm... sure the... the reunion is wonderful..." Braon begins again. "But... how do... you... expect... to fill our bargain... with me... bleeding... on your couch?" She had a creeping suspicion about this, which she hoped was wrong.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    ]

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Woods]

Brinika probably isn't wrong unless there's another giant snake out there that isn't a shadow illusion.

Though, strictly speaking, Khannie had only made a ghost sound and nothing else. She hasn't actually fashioned the snake yet. That takes WAY more work than just making a creepy noise.

Anywho!

Khannie peers into the cave in question. It's a pretty solid cave, as far as caves go. Lots of dripping. Lots of little pools of water. The limestone is slicked by erosion and deposition, as one should expect from caves. It's little more than a cleft in the rock with a small stream burbling out of it. It would be quite the squeeze fro the larger children, but someone like Brinika would be able to fit in there no problem.

"I can't tell how deep it goes,"
    Khannie admits since she doesn't have fantastical dark vision. "I can probably light it up sort of."

And then?

She holds out the end of her staff, causing the the tip to somehow glow black as darkness congeals at the end. Near her staff the world is suddenly cast in an eerie contrast of black and white, outlining objects lightlessly. One can see the interior of the cave in spite of it being lightless, but it's a surreal vision more felt than truly seen.

"It's pretty cramped but it looks like it goes way back there," Khannie says. "Should we look around the outside first to see if there's another way out?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #1417

Campground

The satyrs tail swings from side to side as she seem to consider Sekhmet's singing. Causing the little bauble tied to it to jossle around. "A great start, your highness. You have a lot of potential but to realize you will have to practice too. After all, all great flames start out as mere sparks. So let me ask you this, do you have a favorite song that you like to sing along to? A favorite kind of music?"

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    "First, I'm going to make sure you don't die. Really, you should be, uh, sleeping right now, to, uh, recover your strength." Sekhmet releases Ananias and focuses on Braon. She reaches out with magic to the fiendling's mind and pushes. Isn't what Sekhmet said right? Isn't Braon really tired? Wouldn't it be a lot less painful if she were unconscious? Should the attack (if you can count it as one) work, Braon should fall into a deep and dreamless sleep. Then Sekhmet's real task can begin.

Campground
    "Uh, thank you? Uh, let me think." Sekhmet paces a little while deciding on a song. She then manages a few lines of slightly off-key song.
    "All the lonely people
    Where do they all come from?
    All the lonely people
    Where do they all belong?"

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #1419

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Woods]

Brinika does, for her part, assume it's Khannie's illusion. She could be wrong, then she's in for an unpleasant surprise.

"Is it big enough?" she asks sceptically. "And does it have an extra exit so we can get out after sealing it in?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Woods]

Brinika probably isn't wrong unless there's another giant snake out there that isn't a shadow illusion.

Though, strictly speaking, Khannie had only made a ghost sound and nothing else. She hasn't actually fashioned the snake yet. That takes WAY more work than just making a creepy noise.

Anywho!

Khannie peers into the cave in question. It's a pretty solid cave, as far as caves go. Lots of dripping. Lots of little pools of water. The limestone is slicked by erosion and deposition, as one should expect from caves. It's little more than a cleft in the rock with a small stream burbling out of it. It would be quite the squeeze fro the larger children, but someone like Brinika would be able to fit in there no problem.

"I can't tell how deep it goes,"
    Khannie admits since she doesn't have fantastical dark vision. "I can probably light it up sort of."

And then?

She holds out the end of her staff, causing the the tip to somehow glow black as darkness congeals at the end. Near her staff the world is suddenly cast in an eerie contrast of black and white, outlining objects lightlessly. One can see the interior of the cave in spite of it being lightless, but it's a surreal vision more felt than truly seen.

"It's pretty cramped but it looks like it goes way back there," Khannie says. "Should we look around the outside first to see if there's another way out?"
    [Woods]

"I... I..." Arthfael stammers, a sense of dread engulfing him the longer they stood at the cave entrance.

This was a bad idea.

Like, a really bad idea.

That cave was a deathtrap; small, with few to no escape options, cramped, and soon to be occupied by a giant snake.

No way was he going in there.

"I'll... I'll check for another exit!" He calls, bolting off to the other side of the hill.

Hawthorn Cabin
    "First, I'm going to make sure you don't die. Really, you should be, uh, sleeping right now, to, uh, recover your strength." Sekhmet releases Ananias and focuses on Braon. She reaches out with magic to the fiendling's mind and pushes. Isn't what Sekhmet said right? Isn't Braon really tired? Wouldn't it be a lot less painful if she were unconscious? Should the attack (if you can count it as one) work, Braon should fall into a deep and dreamless sleep. Then Sekhmet's real task can begin.
    [Hawthorne Cabin]

Braon's eyelids flutter momentarily, and it seems as though the suggestion has a hold on her mind...

But not for long.

Braon scowls, sitting up and glaring at Sekhmet defiantly. "Don't you dare presume to tell me what to do." She growls. "I have had more than enough of gods-damned demons trying to get inside my gods-damned head so they can tell me how to live my gods-damned life. I'm not going to take any more of it; not from you, not from my uncle, not from anyone." She raises her hand and points her finger at Sekhmet, weaving a hex of her own. Braon was in charge of her own life. Nobody else had any claim to the spot. Trying that was awful, and Sekhmet should feel awful. If the hex works, that is.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-14 at 11:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    Sekhmet feels the fingers of enchantment touching her and simply pushes them away. She's quite resistant to magic, especially of that sort. "Uh, you really do need to sleep. I swore to help you, and, uh, I can't do that if you die from internal bleeding. Despite Sekhmet having no intention of fulfilling that oath, maybe acting like she does will encourage Braon to accept her aid in other things. "There's a hole all the way through your lung. I'm, uh shocked you can still talk without, uh, excruciating pain." She looks very critically at Braon. "Would you prefer to die and free me from my, uh, oath to you?"

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #1421

[Hawthorne Cabin]

An excellent point. Braon should be resting, if she wants to make it through the night. But Sekhmet's analysis of the situation neglected one thing.

Braon shakes her head slowly. "When... when you woke me... I was... near death. Very... very near." She gasps. "So... so near... I could... feel the... the fires, on my skin..." She shudders involuntarily, looking up at Sekhmet fearfully. "While I'm... while I'm awake... I'm alive. If I... if I sleep... I'm afraid... I'll never..." she trails off, letting the demon queen draw her own conclusions.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-15 at 06:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

[Woods]

Brinika blinks. Okay. Either that's some very good acting from Arthfael, or... she shuffles closer to Khannie and whispers, covering her mouth with her hand:

"I think he might believe the snake is really here."

[Infirmary]

"I've heard about this raid. Caused a lot of mayhem, apparently." Sophie is matter-of-fact about it. "Hopefully she doesn't come back. And if she does... we'll be ready. It's good that you scared her and chased her off. It shows more power than I thought you had." The last part of her statement almost invites Sekhmet to say more.

[The Spooky Tree]

Sophie doesn't stop Sasha. She's not sure how she'd do it, nor would it be a good idea in all likelihood. Instead, she goes to her car, intend to drive to the lab. Hopefully she can get there quickly enough to manage the situation...
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-09-15 at 04:25 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #1423

Campground

"Uh, thank you? Uh, let me think." Sekhmet paces a little while deciding on a song. She then manages a few lines of slightly off-key song.
    "All the lonely people
    Where do they all come from?
    All the lonely people
    Where do they all belong?"
    Campground

"Oh, I haven't heard this song before. Any particular reason you picked it your highness? It brings out the feeling of melancholy I think." She waves one finger in the air, seemingly trying to catch the beat of the song. "I could help you chat a bit if you wish. Just so you get an idea of what can be done with music."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-09-15 at 04:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    "If you stay awake, you'll get to watch yourself die." Sekhmet replies. "Really, uh, sleeping is for the best." That's not a threat. Sekhmet has no intention of killing Braon, or of harming her, really.

Infirmary
    "Uh, about that," Sekhmet laughs nervously. "Uh, I am more powerful than I was before." She doesn't really elaborate.

Campground
    "I, uh, just thought that song felt, uh, right. It's called 'Eleanor Rigby,' I think." Sekhmet seems intrigued by the idea of seeing what it's like before learning. "Uh, okay. What do I need to do?"

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #1425

Hawthorn Cabin
    "If you stay awake, you'll get to watch yourself die." Sekhmet replies. "Really, uh, sleeping is for the best." That's not a threat. Sekhmet has no intention of killing Braon, or of harming her, really.
    [Hawthorne Cabin]

"...I..." Braon shudders. "...I can sleep... and pass away... without... being able to..." She swallows hard. "Or... I can stay awake... and... and watch..." She gives Sekhmet a rueful smile, a fearful glint in her eye. "...Lousy options."

Still. Sekhmet was right. Braon's best chance if survival was sleep.

But she couldn't sleep. The idea still frightened her to death.

But she had to.

But she couldn't.

...Unless...

"I... I'm told..." Braon grabs ahold of Sekhmet's hand. "I'm told... you... have... a lovely... singing... voice..." she gives Sekhmet a pleading look. "...Do... do you know... Siuil A Ruin?"

A comforting memory. Something which might help her relax. If nothing else... a calm note to go out on.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    "Uh, I'm not that good. Uh, and I don't know that song anyway." Sekhmet replies. "Unless you, uh, want me to pull it from your mind." She can do that. Braon might not like that though.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

[Infirmary]

Sophie gives Sekhmet a long look. She can tell when someone would rather not go into detail and that doesn't seem to be happening right now. She just needs to encourage Sekhmet to open up.

"And given the source of your power, I imagine it's taking some getting used to," she says. "But you've used it for a good cause. Children might have been hurt otherwise."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #1428

[Hawthorne Cabin]

Braon looks up at Sekhmet suspiciously, but quickly relents. It was a little late to be distrustful of her; if Sekhmet really wanted to screw her over, this was hardly the worst way she could go about doing it. "...Fine."

Sekhmet will actually find two versions of the song; one with little attachment, which Braon picked up at Trog's sometime in her adult life, an Irish folk song about the left-behind wife of a soldier; and another one, which Braon cherished, wherein the lyrics have been lost to the vagaries of her early childhood memories, with a similarly melancholy melody, sung by a rich baritone. If Sekhmet "listens" closely enough, she can even hear the immediate aftermath:

Good night, Bronntanas. I love you.
    I love you, too, Da.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-16 at 03:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary
    Sekhmet nods. "Right, uh, right. But I, uh, am still worried. It, uh, attracts things to me. Like her. They want to serve me. Or get my, uh, help." Frequently both. She pulls the bedsheet around herself a bit tighter. "It's a, uh, bit complicated."

Hawthorn Cabin
    Sekhmet takes the memories... Oh, that's sad.
    Also, her name is Bronntanas? Ouch. Although Sekhmet isn't great either, and her True Name is way worse.
    Sekhmet begins to sing. She can't match the skill of either of the singers, or the tone of the one that's clearly more important to Braon. But she can try, and she's as good at it as an untrained person (even with a great voice) can be.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #1430

Hawthorn Cabin
    Sekhmet takes the memories... Oh, that's sad.
    Also, her name is Bronntanas? Ouch. Although Sekhmet isn't great either, and her True Name is way worse.
    Sekhmet begins to sing. She can't match the skill of either of the singers, or the tone of the one that's clearly more important to Braon. But she can try, and she's as good at it as an untrained person (even with a great voice) can be.
    [Hawthorne Cabin]

Thankfully for Sekhmet, the person she's imitating was not a trained singer, either, although he was in a completely different voice register. She won't be able to recreate the memory, but she still manages to scratch a different sort of itch.

In a few minutes, Braon seems to have slipped unconscious again, her vines wrapped around her in an uncomfortable-looking cocoon. Hopefully, they won't present a problem.

It's around now that Sekhmet might notice that the wolf is gone, replaced with a nondescript pile of powdered silver and iron filings. It looks like she won't be a problem, either.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-16 at 07:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Hawthorn Cabin
    Gently, Sekhmet tries to scoop Braon up in her arms. She's stronger than she looks. With a flick of her tail, a portal opens. "Stay here, father. I'll, uh, have to talk to Prumathe about what to, uh, do with you. But, uh, eat something in the meantime." He looks like he weighs less than her (not that that's actually that hard. The extra bone and muscle mass from all her assorted extra limbs weighs a lot).
    If Braon's vine cocoon doesn't resist, Sekhmet will walk through the portal, carrying her into Hell.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #1432

Hawthorne Cabin => Hell

Braon's vines do resist... sort of. When Sekhmet touches them, the vines clench, tightening around Braon in what was probably an effort to protect her from harm but wasn't doing her health any favors. Between that, and the thorny growths along them, carrying the vines (and Braon) was unlikely to be a pleasant experience, but it's doable.

When they do arrive in Hell, Braon stirs in her sleep, letting out a fit of distressed moans; she's not waking up yet, but even so, this place still disturbed her on some primal level. If Sekhmet is capable of telling such things, she'll notive Braon develop a fever pretty much immediately, and her fits of stirring become more insistent, as though she wants to wake herself up but physically can't.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Burning Depths
    It's hot here.
    It always is.
    Sekhmet doesn't notice Braon getting warmer. Normal people always feel cold to her. She's appeared in a corridor in her palace. She walks only a short distance carrying the unconscious fiendling until a door unlocks and opens for her, and she enters the room beyond. Lit by iron braziers, the room is dominated by a pool of bubbling black slime set into the marble floor. Sekhmet sets Braon down next to it and tests the stuff with her hand, letting it drip through her fingers. In response to her contact with it, she frowns, then snaps her fingers, and the black slime becomes crystal clear liquid, but not water. More of a gel. Satisfied, Sekhmet picks Braon up and wades into the pool, intending to set the fiendling down in the center.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #1434

[Burning Depths]

Despite the thrashing around, Braon remains unconscious all throughout the journey; through the portals, into the room, over the pool... and right when Sekhmet sets her down, her eyes flick open, wide and bloodshot. She didn't need very long to tell where she was.

No.

No no no.

NonononoNoNoNO!

She wasn't here. She couldn't be here. She wasn't done yet! She had-

splursh

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Burning Depths
    Splursh.
    The gel is warm, uncomfortably so for someone with normal human body temperature. It oozes around Braon and seeps into her pores.
    In effect, Braon is being bathed in fiendish essence. It's exact effects are somewhat unpredictable, but Sekhmet cleansed it of her mother's lingering influence, so it shouldn't be too mind-altering. But it should very quickly restore Braon's body, and then enhance her fiendish powers

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #1436

[Burning Depths]

As the pool starts rolling, a couple of things may occur to Sekhmet.

First, Braon was already dangerously unstable, and only momentarily subdued by her injuries; healing her beyond the point of "not going to die" might not be especially wise.

Second, Braon was giftedly trained in the mystic art of enchanting; in layman's terms, sticking together bits of her soul to create new entities with mystical powers.

Third, the fiendish jelly would not only restore her to relative health, but also enhance her fiend-born abilities... namely, her aforementioned ability to enchant.

And last, but not at all least... this fiendish essence was going make one hell of a raw material.

The inevitable conclusion, as a series of meter-thick thorny vines sprout from the pool, tipped with toothy buds and claw-like thorns...

This was a BAD IDEA.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #1437

Campground
    "I, uh, just thought that song felt, uh, right. It's called 'Eleanor Rigby,' I think." Sekhmet seems intrigued by the idea of seeing what it's like before learning. "Uh, okay. What do I need to do?"
    Campground

"First of all, do you know all the lyrics to the song? If so, write them down for me." This can be handwaved however as they're easy to simply look up. "Second of all, do you think anyone mind if we sing in the middle of this camp? Like a flame music is not always easy to control so you will never know where it might end up taking you."

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

Burning Depths
    Sekhmet's not exactly worried. She was expecting weird things to possibly happen. "Braon?" She asks. As long as the vines aren't doing anything, they're only a minor concern.

Campground
    Sekhmet pulls a journal and pencil from her purse and writes in it. "Uh, I think that's most of it." It's not a long song. "Uh, I think it's okay. There's not many people around right now."
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-09-17 at 07:38 AM.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #1439

[Burning Depths]

Well, that did something. The various "heads" of the vines turn to face Sekhmet, blooming into lamprey-like mouths filled with rings of twitching, needly teeth. They advance on the demon queen...

Before bursting into flame, leaving them to flail desperately in a futile attempt to extinguish the blaze.

When the plant-creature finally settles, one of the buds in the middle opens up, to reveal Braon, standing on her own two feet, legs mended. She strides toward Sekhmet, shaking loose the last few vestigial vines still clinging to her.

"That felt good." She croons. "Not so scary any more, now, are you?" She giggles, giving the plant-monster's carcass a swift, contemptuous kick, before turning her attention back to Sekhmet. "I'm not sure what exactly you did to me... but it's a good first step toward filling out your end of our bargain, I'd say."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

Burning Depths
    Interestingly, the pool is dry after Braon leaves it. All of the essence was absorbed into her and the vines. "Uh, welcome to my palace. You're feeling better? What was that thing?"

My Nexus characters