New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet takes the sphere... No, the flower, in her cupped hands. She probes it with her magical and psychic senses. She's not even really sure what she's looking at, nor does she have any idea how to make one herself. "It's, uh, beautiful. What is it?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Lakeside Sit]

"Pure psionic will made manifest," Geneva replies, a slight tremor in her voice.

This is, in fact, the first time she's shown any sign of straining.

"Hehe... Doing organic shapes is pretty hard for me, actually. Geometric forms are way easier. But they look neat, right?"

The mind-flower most certainly looks neat.

Its surface is hard and smooth, like touching glass.

"I can make flexible surfaces, too. But that's harder to do with organic shapes. My brother, he could-"

The object fizzles as a tremor runs through Geneva.

"S-sorry. Ah, my brother. He was way better at this than I am. He could make psychokinetic constructs that almost seemed alive. He..." she gives a sniff, wiping a few tears from her eyes. "Geeze... Here I am falling apart."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet gets over and sits next to Geneva. She hugs her friend. "It's okay. Don't worry. It's okay." She's very warm. Hopefully this is comforting.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #274

[Lakeside Sit]

Hugs always help.

"Thanks."

Yep.

Still hugging.

Did Sekhmet notice that Geneva's powers cut out when she was getting emotional?

In a lot of ways that seems to be the opposite of how things work for Sekhmet.

"Sorry. I get kind of choked up when I think about my family. I just... miss them so much."

That last day in the Vault was pretty traumatic. It's understandable.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hawthorn Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    When Russel peers through the crack beneath the door, he might be able to make out a few clawed feet a short distance beyond. They don't look like they could belong to anything larger than a large dog, but that's still pretty big compared to the children. Whatever it is is kinda leathery and scaly, like a lizard. After a couple seconds, it pads away from the door, its claws making a soft scratching sound on the hard floor.
    [Hawthorn Cabin]

Lucy starts to plad with her brother that they should go, but he interrupts her with a soft spoken word. "Pet."

"Huh? Like a kitty?" Lucy calms down. Pets aren't monsters. Witches have black cats in some stories.

Russell shakes his head. Lucy thinks a moment then goes over to the door. She lies on the floor and peeks under it as well. "It's got scales." She remarks if it's still visible from this closer angle. "Why're you stuck in there?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"I'm sorry." Sekhmet keeps hugging Geneva. She doesn't notice any connections between her friend's emotions and powers. That's not important right now. "I miss mine too." She means her adoptive family.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"Mum thinks everyone will get along, if you sit down and talk to them. I don't. No, Zara. I'm not a pacifist, but I'd rather avoid a fight than get in one." And Abi probably wouldn't fight to the death, either. Maybe until they surrender or can't fight back, but not to the death. Hopefully not the death- Abi has no training or experience in fighting, and her current abilities aren't able to help her, save possibly as a distraction.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #278

[Lakeside Sit]

"It just... it just hits me every once and I while. I never got to say goodbye to any of my family," Geneva says, her voice cracking slightly. "It was so sudden and- the smoke and the smell of b-burning and the screams-"

Her heart is pounding. The tingling in her hands. She gasps for air like she's breathing through a straw.

No.

Nonono it's been so long since the last panic attack.

She thought she had this stupid thing beat.

Geneva curls forward, hugging her legs, gasping like a fish like an idiot in front of her friend.

Why did she have to lose it all of a sudden?

It's all she can do to stomp down on her psionics while her emotions become a roiling cauldron. She can't start manifesting right now. She can't.

She won't.

Not while her heart is trying to climb up her throat and slap her senseless.

She tries telling Sekhmet that it's just a stupid panic attack, that everything will be okay, but she only manages to make a wheezy keening noise.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet hugs Geneva tighter, almost hoping that the touch will bring her back to reality. But that's not all she does. She reaches out with her mind. Communication is much, much easier for her than moving objects. Shhhh. It's okay. I'm here. You're here. Breathe. Sekhmet sends a web of calming thoughts. A cool breeze. The scent of rain. The pleasant sensation a Hound feels when you scratch its back. The feeling of wind in her wings and hair. The steady sound of hammer against anvil. The image of sunset over the GLoG lake. Breathe. Breathe. It's okay. You're safe now.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #280

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva doesn't reply mentally.

At all.

Even a little bit.

She has her psychic abilities completely shut down at the moment. Because if she manifests when her emotions are out of control it could result in... bad things.

When you have the level of psychic strength that Geneva has you can't leave anything to chance. Can't leave anything to whims. Everything has to be.

Very.

Carefully.

Controlled.

She's in reality.

She's here.

The panic attack is just eating her ability to function. It makes her feel so stupid and useless and broken.

But it'll pass.

It always passes.

It just takes some time.

And, frankly, having a friend here helps.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet just sits by her friend. Ellie hops up on the rock and curls up next to the pair. The three will be undisturbed for a while, hopefully. Long enough for Geneva to recover. Sekhmet never fully lets up her psychic signals, hoping to hear a response. Please. Answer me. Come back.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Lake Beach

"Mum thinks everyone will get along, if you sit down and talk to them. I don't. No, Zara. I'm not a pacifist, but I'd rather avoid a fight than get in one." And Abi probably wouldn't fight to the death, either. Maybe until they surrender or can't fight back, but not to the death. Hopefully not the death- Abi has no training or experience in fighting, and her current abilities aren't able to help her, save possibly as a distraction.
    [Lake Beach]

"Neither do I." Zara knows life doesn't work out that way. She'd never have needed training if that was the case, she figures. "That sounds too naively optimistic!" She says bluntly, but will apologize if Abi takes offense, even though she doesn't think she's lying.

"I like fighting." She responds, truthfully. "It's fun. I train back in Seaside at the orphanage, and with Karasu and her brother everyday too. I know where to hit to kill, and I know where to hit to merely pacify." No, she has no qualms about fighting to the death... that's where it gets really fun. However, being an assassin requires stealth, so there's something she can agree with Abi on. "I don't fight needlessly, though, but I know how to do it should it ever become necessary."

She grins at Abi. "I'll protect you, babe. Don't worry, I won't kill anyone that messes with you, because you don't want me to... but I'll protect you."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"I think that too." So no disagreements from Abi on her mother being naively optimistic. "I haven't ever fought. I'd prefer not to, I think, but... maybe I should try to get some self-defence classes or something. Just so I know I can defend myself, if I can't talk my way out of trouble." Somehow, the news that Zara enjoys fighting doesn't surprise her.

She smiles as Zara promises to protect her, and hugs Zara too. "Thank you, Zara. That makes me feel better."

14. - Top - End - #284

[Lakeside Sit]

"I'm okay," Geneva finally manages to squeak out after several minutes once she manages to get her breathing under control. "It was just a panic attack I'm okay."

Just, haha, just a panic attack.

Just the terror of the vault purge boiling up to the surface.

No big deal.

"I'm okay," she repeats.

She isn't.

Not really.

No one is ever actually okay after something like that.

But she functions.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet doesn't stop hugging Geneva until she seems like she's actually recovered, because right now she's pretty unconvincing. "You don't seem okay, uh, are you sure you're okay?"

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

"You should, I can even teach you! I might not always be there to protect you." Zara suggests and squeezes Abi when she's hugged. "Anything for you, Abi."

When it's over, something occurs to her. "I've met your parents, but you haven't met my 'family'. I have a room in Karasu's brother's house, and there's also the orphanage... you should meet Mrs Langley!"
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"I'd prefer it if you didn't, Zara. I appreciate the offer, I do, but I'd like that to be something I do on my own, for myself. You know?" Abi doesn't want it to be linked too much with Zara, in case something happens and they break up later. She also would prefer to learn non-lethal combat, and she suspects that may be something Zara has trouble teaching- or understanding.

"What, go to Seaside for a bit? I'd have to ask my parents. They should say yes, but I can't really promise it." Since Zara stays in GLoG when she's not at home, it's presumably too far to make twice in a day. And offering a bedroom would also support that. So it'd have to be a weekend holiday.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Woods]

”Ebeuls! We’re smaller. And nicer. And prettier.” He insists proudly.
    ”Well, I don’t really have any experience fighting demons. But I do own a sword! And I can learn to use the magic I just got! Maybe.” He admits that he isn’t exactly the most confident about that.
    [Woods]

Anika do notice his lack of confidence and scratches her head. "Maybe you can bring some friends? There can't just be kids in GloG, right? Maybe it wouldn't be right of me to ask you to protect from this place from demons but I'm worried they use this place to do something nasty to people living nearby. Like you." She gestures at him.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

At the question, the "pet" walks back over to the door. A pair of nostrils lower themselves to the gap where the little girl lies and take a deep sniff. Then the creature paws at the door. Maybe it wants to be let out?

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

"Aww, that's a shame..." Zara pouts that weird pout of hers that results from trying to pout while being unable to frown. She was already getting excited at the prospect of teaching Abi how to fight, too, only to be shut down like that. It hurts. "I thought it'd help us make more memories together, but if you insist." She's actually a bit miffed.

She brightens, however, when the thought of showing Abi around her home comes up. "I hope they do! Abi, I'll show you around, and introduce you to people like Zither, Dr Svetlana, Uncle Chidi... I've told them all about you, so they'll be glad to see you. There's a lot to like, Abigail Browning!" She really hopes her parents say yes! "We could go by portal, it's faster than speedboat, much more instant... but we can enjoy the ocean if we go by speedboat. Oh, and there's a submarine option!" She's already started making plans, but then at this point none of them can foretell what'll happen to Abi soon.

"Oh Abi, I hope they say yes! I can even help convince them, too!" She's super excited, now.
    Love is the message.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"I'm sorry, Zara. I do want the memories with you, but... Well, if we break up later, then that'll impact any training I get. We can spar, maybe, once I've started, but until then I'm sorry. I want this so I can feel safe and confident. Well, I guess, less nervous when I'm out and it's dark." Abi's got plenty of confidence already.

"Oh? How can you help convince them?" Abi grins, her eyes going purple with curiosity.

22. - Top - End - #292

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva offers a lame smile.

"As fine as I ever get," she replies, her voice still a bit unsteady.

That smile gets lamer.

"Sorry you had to see that. And... thanks for being here for me. It's been a while since I had a panic attack," she explains.

She really hates panic attacks.

They suck.

Honestly she's fortunate that one never decided to kick in right in the middle of a raider attack or something.

That could be lethal.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hawthorn Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    At the question, the "pet" walks back over to the door. A pair of nostrils lower themselves to the gap where the little girl lies and take a deep sniff. Then the creature paws at the door. Maybe it wants to be let out?
    [Hawthorn Cabin]

Lucy watches for a moment longer, and then sits up. "Why're they stuck in there? Animals don't like being stuck inside." She pushes up to her feet and reaches for the door handle. Russell grabs her arm and shakes his head. "Oh, right." Mommy does tell them they shouldn't just approach unknown animals.

"Let's find a treat." She decides. Russell considers it and nods his approval. The pair split up and try to see if there's any pet treats around. Or maybe other food?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Lakeside Sit

"I, uh, know what that feels like." Sekhmet shudders. She really does. Certain loud noises can do much the same thing to her. Especially the crack of whips. And a more recent issue comes occasionally from being submerged in liquid. She deals with these problems as best she can. "You will be better. You're, uh, going to finish your, uh, teleporter and rescue people from your, uh, world. Then no one will have to go through what you did." Sekhmet is trying to be reassuring here. It may or may not work.

Hawthorn Cabin

There aren't treats sitting out nearby, but there is an obvious place to look for them. The kitchen! In the kitchen, there's a cupboard and a refrigerator, as well as a microwave and a stove, and a ceramic bowl on the floor with the name "Ellie" painted on it in a rough hand.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-09-09 at 12:36 AM.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

How pragmatic! Zara seems impressed. She could probably move on very easily if it comes to that, assuming she doesn't go all yandere and decide not to let that happen. Now she thinks of it, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. "I see." She says, nodding to show her being impressed. "Don't worry, I'll do anything to make sure that doesn't happen... anything..." There's a way she says 'anything' that could come off as possessive. She giggles afterwards, but who knows if she's joking?

She's new to dating, after all.

"By coming with you and giving some support?" She says when asked how she'd convince Abi's parents. Giggling, she continues. "I'd tell them of all the cool things, and about Mrs Langley, and how safe you'll be within city limits. I'll tell them I'd protect you if necessary, but I know it shouldn't be... and I'll show them pictures, too!"
    Love is the message.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"That's more reasonable than I was expecting, somehow." Not that Abi was sure what she was expecting- Zara to say she'd break in and leave a dog's head in their bed until they agreed? Bit too unsubtle, and that poor doggy...

"That now seems really good. Let's do it." Abi grins, though she's enjoying swimming and doesn't necessarily mean right now.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

"What were you expecting, Ab?" Zara asks, furrowing her brow. "That I'd tie them up and break fingers until they agreed?" She splashes some water at Abi's face. "I have no reason to threaten my girlfriend's family, especially since I want her to be with me because she wants to be, not because she has to be. Besides, I like your parents, remember? Bryan's cool, and Isobel's friendly, if a bit too inquisitive."

When Abi agrees, Zara shouts her girliest "Yay!" and grins as well, hugging and kissing her girlfriend. "It'll be fun, I promise! Well, the outing will be more fun than the convincing!" Especially if Isobel decides to ask too many questions again, and Bryan isn't there to stop her.

She then puts her hands on Abi's waist, underwater. "I know you don't know what to expect, being the girlfriend of a trained killer, but this is a journey I want us to undertake together. I don't know how to be a 'normal girl', if there's such a thing, and normal's boring, anyway... but I think it makes our relationship all the more interesting." She says, honestly.
    Love is the message.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

"I don't know, OK? My brain wasn't thinking of the obvious things, and jumping to extremes." So yes, basically breaking in and breaking fingers. She splashes back. "It'll be fine, Zara. Trust me. I've not been the girlfriend of a trained killer before, but... I've not really been a girlfriend before." There was the boy at the school party, but he barely counts. It was a couple of dances and a kiss. "An interesting relationship's far preferable to a boring one, I've always thought."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

"I understand it's new for you."
    Zara smiles and nods. "I trust you. I've not been a girlfriend before, either, so it's new for both of us! Let's make this the most interesting relationship ever, then!" She declares, taking Abi's hand and squeezing it fondly.

Then, she pulls away and starts splashing more water at Abi. "Water fight!"
    Love is the message.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

Abi squeezes Zara's hand back, and then squeals as she's splashed. She splashes back, rolling over and swimming away to get a lot of splash with her feet.