New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Something something something cubs]

By the time Sekhmet lands there are only three cubs to be seen. One is still snoozing near Geneva, one is hiding underneath her mother and watching Sekhmet cautiously from behind her legs, and one is venturing out to see what Sekhmet's deal is.

Geneva smiles brightly at her friend. "Hello Sekhmet! Aren't they? The little black one batting at your toes is Gabriel. The sleepy-head with white spots is Glory. The grey one being shy is Gwen. And Gilda is..."

A beat.

The hippogriff mother glances around briefly.

"Now where did Gilda get off to?"

On cue the black and white and grey mottled griffin cub leaps from a bush with a not particularly fearsome "rawr!" to attack Sekhmet's tail.

Selhmet's life is one hundred percent not in danger.

"Oh! There she is. And that's Gilda."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Something Something Something Cubs

Sekhmet looks around for the missing griffin with Geneva and is mildly surprised when she jumps out and grabs the fiend's tail. Luckily the little predator didn't cut herself on the stinger, that would be bad. But now Sekhmet's tail is pinned down by Gilda. "I see. She's enthusiastic." Gabriel might find something more interesting than Sekhmet's feet to bat at. Her skirt is long and swishy. It would be great for batting at! Sekhmet bends down to look at the frightened Gwen. "It's okay, I won't hurt you. You can come out," she says in a soothing voice.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #663

[Something something something cubs]

Gilda opens her beak wide and-!

"Gildaaa," Geneva admonishes sternly. "No biting people."

The griffin cub eyes her mother for a few seconds, her beak poised to strike, then closes it around Sekhmet's tail. There isn't really any pressure to the bite at all. The child is just misbehaving.

Geneva responds by trotting over, scooping up Gilda, and depositing her in the bab-holster. Gilda wriggles impotently.

"I told you no, Gilda. It isn't nice to bite people."

Gwen, meanwhile, finds that her cover has walked off and quickly (if a little clumsily) scampers after Geneva which unfortunately takes her closer to the intimidating stranger. She watches Sekhmet from behind Geneva's legs, though as soon as she addressed the cub hides her face from view. Clearly if she can't see Sekhmet then she's well and truly hidden.

Gabriel begins swatting at Sekhmet's dress and quickly gets his little talons tangled up in it. He responds to this in the only reasonable fashion. By flopping over on his back so he can bite and kick at the dress simultaneously.

And Glory?

She finally wakes up, blinking her big baby blue eyes. She's looking in the wrong direction, though, and is unable to see her mother. Finding herself apparently alone and in a strange place she begins calling. "Ow! Ow!"

Geneva responds with a very bird-like chuckling noise and Glory immediately zeros in on her, trotting over to attack her tail.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet laughs at the cubs' antics. "Goodness, how do you keep track of them all? And I was worried about just taking care of one! What's it, uh, like? Being a, uh, mother, I, uh, mean." She reaches down with a hand to ruffle Gabriel's feathers as he bites her dress."They're a precious lot. How old are they?"

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Moonwell]

Sophie likewise trusts the bridge, having no particular intention of getting into the water if she can help it.

"I also had no idea this well was here. Then again I'm not usually one for exploring the woods."
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Moonwell

He didn't seem bothered by being called Dude and just nods as he shakes off as much water from his fur as he can. The way it clung to him, it showed a lean body under all that fur."I just wanted to be sure. There might be ways I can connect a spirit to it through blood, though other offerings sound like they'll be better then. But first..." Once Pathfinder gets to shore, he sets his bag down and unzips it to pull out a six-pack of beer bottles. He holds them out, one to each. "Pour one out at each cardinal direction along the shore. The other two...well, you all can decide who drinks them." The shaman takes one for himself and just takes a few steps to pour it out for the East point. "Are there any particularly large or violent beasts out this way? I've hunted boar in these forests before, but something more savage, intelligent, or larger would be better."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Moonwell

Domhnall shrugs and takes a can, trotting off and going to pour the can out by the north side of the little island. "I think I've seen bear tracks here and there, but I haven't seen anything that big m'self. Woulda mentioned it before if I did see something nasty near the kiddies."
    [Moonwell]

"I can turn into a bear if that helps, but you aren't sacrificing me, mister." Anika remarks with a chuckle.
    But her attention have been drawn to the beer bottles by now. "Hey, that's not human alcohol is it?" She inquires as she takes one. "Wouldn't want to insult the spirits or anything." The druid grins but then glances at Sophie. "Er, no offense. It's just that humans are kinda small so... you're more lightweight."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-12-22 at 09:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell]

Sophie snorts.

"No offence taken. Now, if you start having opinions about human wine, I might be honor-bound to protest. But I will do so half-heartedly. And I imagine bears would be the biggest and smartest animal nearby, yes. I think I remember someone finding them here a long time ago..."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #667

[Something Something Something Cubs]

"Thus far by keeping them corralled at home," Geneva replies with a laugh.

Gilda continues wriggling.

She isn't happy about being trapped in bitey baby jail.

"But since I work at VIGIL I'm planning on taking advantage of the day care services here at GLoG,"
    she explains. "I want to get the cubs use to being here first, though, hence the visit. I'll wait until they're weaned and fledged before I start leaving them here for the day."

Oh boy.

That's exactly what GLoG needs.

Flying children.

At the other question, Geneva smiles and nuzzles at Gwen. "It's exciting and scary and wonderful. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I don't think any mothers really do. It's a lot of work and I've hardly slept but it's all worth it."

She's been enjoying it, certainly.

"They're four months old so far. Griffs mature a bit faster than humans do. If they were human children they wouldn't be scampering around and attacking dresses."

Which Gabriel is doing so. He makes a "Mrawl!" noise at Sekhmet and waves his paws her hand.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Out in the Woods]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Uh, okay?" Sekhmet's not really sure what that meant. But she stops looking at trees and starts looking at the ground. Oh? What's that? She finds the square object and bends down to examine it more closely.
    They likely won't stay. The trees will probably just be in the way, most of them, so don't get too attached.

Yep, the shape is a weathered brick chimney, stuffed up with fallen leaves. But it shouldn't be too hard to clear it out, if you wanted.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Sophie is sitting in her office, waiting for Zara. There's still a lot that she needs to talk to the girl about.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet conjures up a burst of fire, strengthened by her proximity to the hive mother, and incinerates the leaves. I'm, uh, not sure I can fit down there, she thinks as she peers down the hole, But I should probably find out what's in there. She folds her wings behind her as best she can and gently attempts to squeeze down through the chimney like Santa Claus.

Sekhmet's hand is pawed! She giggles. "I'm, uh, glad to hear it. Prumathe and I are, uh, thinking of trying for our firstborn. Maybe once my mother's, uh, dealt with. I just know she'd love to get her claws on any children I have." Sapphira is a constant looming specter in Sekhmet's life. She could strike again at any time.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #671
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Zara shows up, wearing her usual getup, but with a brown skirt this time, and a santa hat on her head. She's smiling as always, but grins once she sees Sophie. "Shalom, Miss Sophie, and happy Thanksmas season! Zara is happy to see you." She says as she skips forward and takes a seat.

She begins by giving an update. "You will be happy to know that Zara is doing fine, and Zara's sister - the personality you met the other day - isn't doing any killing! Zara's fully committed to GLoG, but big sister is looking at VIGIL..."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-12-23 at 10:53 AM.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"Your... sister." This is the second person with an alternate personality that Sophie is helping. "I didn't know you were calling your... other self that. Does she have a name?" she asks as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"Yes! Her name's D-37, and she's the older one. Zara's young, only 6 years old! 7, by January." The girl says in her trademark enthusiastic manner. "Would you like to meet her, Miss Sophie?"
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

It would appear Zara is the personality that split off after she was transported to the Nexus. D-37 is the one she grew up with, under the people who turned her into a weapon. Which one is the "real" personality... if indeed either of them can be called that? Invisibly to Zara, Sophie focuses inwardly, her trained eye and empathy becoming hyper-sensitive to anything notable or relevant.

"I see. Thank you. I would like to speak with her, but I don't remember if I've done it before."

15. - Top - End - #675
    Halfling in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Technology!" Lucy says, and laughs. "There's lots of things like that in my house. Mommy isn't very good with them, but daddy uses them for everything."

Seeing the door's locked, Lucy nods and makes a trail of petals as she zips up the side of the building searching for clues.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #676
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"Okay! She's a little direct, but she's still my sister, and Zara loves her, okaaay? But then Zara loves everyone!" She grins at Sophie excitedly, then takes a deep breath, closing her eyes.

A sudden change comes over her as D-37 takes over. The exuberant, childish and constant smile fades immediately, her aura transforms from that of an ever-happy big kid to one of danger, and the light in her eyes gives way to emptiness. Behind the scenes, Sophie might be able to see a few things: D-37 is the real personality and Zara is the split, but the two seem to be operating as a team (i.e. no one is trying to take over at the expense of the other).

Recognition flashes in D-37's eyes once she spots Sophie. "Ah, it's you! The fat lady I met the other day. Sorry for going all cray-cray on you. Zara's influence, trying to be me." She says, folding her legs and smiling mirthlessly. She hides it very well, but she's studying Sophie, and the office in general. "What can I do for you? Got a monster you need killed?"
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Interesting that Zara alternates between referring to herself in third person and using "my". It could be relevant, but it could also be just... wait, fat? Sophie has admittedly put on some weight lately, but... no, focus.

"I don't have any monsters that need killing, thank you." Sophie's brief offence at being called fat doesn't register in her face or her voice. "I invited Zara here today to find out more about the relationship the two of you have."

18. - Top - End - #678
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

In actuality, the Zara personality refers to herself in third-person, while D-37 does not. It's mainly due to Zara being a role D-37 played, who's taken on a life of her own since coming to the Nexus. "Well, we're sisters. To be more specific, she's a persona I used to use for missions - the little happy-go-lucky and harmless-seeming girl - who took on a life on her own when I got here. I, the prime personality, was in a coma, thus the amnesia." She pauses to think for a moment, then waves her hand dismissively. "Something along those lines, at any rate." As good an explanation as any, even if it's rather simplistic.

"I'm the prime personality, and I'm not going anywhere, not without a fight. Clear?" She looks Sophie dead in the eye, unflinching and unwavering. The meaning is clear: she knows it's likely that Sophie would prefer Zara be Zara, and not D-37, and she'll resist any attempts to remove her from the equation.
    Love is the message.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Out in the Woods]

Out in the Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet conjures up a burst of fire, strengthened by her proximity to the hive mother, and incinerates the leaves. I'm, uh, not sure I can fit down there, she thinks as she peers down the hole, But I should probably find out what's in there. She folds her wings behind her as best she can and gently attempts to squeeze down through the chimney like Santa Claus.
    I hope Sekhmet is careful with her fire. There's lots of other flammable stuff in the woods!
    But burning away the leaves is no problem at all.

Although, Sekhmet, even if you can fit, there's no need to go in yourself, is there?

There is only a thin bit of light here: sunbeams that got through the branches and then down through the chimney, and then a bit from Sekhmet's ball of fire.
    But it's clear from looking that this place is empty and long-abandoned, left to be buried by dust and leaves over many years. Destritus from the forest that's fallen through the chimney is scattered about. Broken benches, stripped tool racks, and rusted metal bits make it seem like this was once some kind of workshop or forge.
    Except ... it doesn't feel abandoned. There's a strong sense that someone's here, that any second they'll come through that doorway on the far wall.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"I'm not interested in getting rid of you, D-37." Her trainers didn't even feel the need to assign her a proper name... vile people. "My interest is learning about both of you and using this knowledge to help you. You must admit that creating a separate personality is concerning in itself."

21. - Top - End - #681
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

It seems like D-37 doesn't wholly believe Sophie, seeing as she's still on guard a little, but she relaxes... for now. "Right."

A separate personality, concerning? "Lo, I beg to differ. In the field, one needs a cover story. A personality that most would deem 'normal'. One that places one above suspicion. It's like acting, or like those forum RPs Karasu sometimes participates in in NexusNet. The role I was playing in the last mission: Zara the enthusiastic babysitter who loves art. Only, she came alive when we got here." Then she smiles and shrugs. "So no, we don't need any help, despite your insistence. I'm only here because Zara works for GLoG, and she loves this job."
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet conjures a little fire to illuminate the room. Oh, nice! It's an old forge! She always wanted a forge of her own. But it doesn't seem abandoned. Does she hear breathing? She thinks she does. There's someone here, she's sure. "Uh, hello? Sorry for, uh, coming through the chimney, I didn't know anyone lived here."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Sophie didn't expect D-37 to trust her just yet. It will take time and persuasion if it happens at all.

"Acting or role-playing differ in rather important aspects," she points out. "You called it a cover story. I'm familiar with those. And other situations where people had to adopt an entirely different wa of thinking to protect their safety. I also know that such stories, when perpetuated for a while, start becoming real. I also know that when a child or teenager has to create such a cover identity, it rarely ends well. I've seen it happen before, in different circumstances. Even before the accident that caused Zara to become independent while you laid dormant, I don't think it was healthy."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

[Camp Centre ==> Workshop]

"No, they're tek- teknologee." Tuskfang does his best to spell the word out very carefully. "That means they're machines, with bits inside that makes them work. Mom says that goblins are a lot better at it than magic." He goes to the door and tries to pull the latch. "It's locked. Brinika and Cheasadh couldn't have got in, either. The clue must me outside."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Workshop]

"Technology!" Lucy says, and laughs. "There's lots of things like that in my house. Mommy isn't very good with them, but daddy uses them for everything."

Seeing the door's locked, Lucy nods and makes a trail of petals as she zips up the side of the building searching for clues.
    [Workshop]

"Oh, I know what you mean." Jillian furrows her brow as she thinks that through. She doesn't know how that makes them fly, but she doesn't know lots about technology either. Maybe she can have it explained.

Right now there's a hunt afoot, though. She can ask later. For now she heads around the building in the opposite direction Jillian went.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Moonwell

Domhnall shrugs and takes a can, trotting off and going to pour the can out by the north side of the little island. "I think I've seen bear tracks here and there, but I haven't seen anything that big m'self. Woulda mentioned it before if I did see something nasty near the kiddies."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Moonwell]

"I can turn into a bear if that helps, but you aren't sacrificing me, mister." Anika remarks with a chuckle.
    But her attention have been drawn to the beer bottles by now. "Hey, that's not human alcohol is it?" She inquires as she takes one. "Wouldn't want to insult the spirits or anything." The druid grins but then glances at Sophie. "Er, no offense. It's just that humans are kinda small so... you're more lightweight."
    [Moonwell]

Sophie snorts.

"No offence taken. Now, if you start having opinions about human wine, I might be honor-bound to protest. But I will do so half-heartedly. And I imagine bears would be the biggest and smartest animal nearby, yes. I think I remember someone finding them here a long time ago..."

Pathfinder tilts the bottle in his hand to take a better look at it. "...dwarven. I think that's what the blocky runes on it mean? At the very least the spirits should be pleased by the offering regardless. I never thought they'd be insulted by the type though." It was certainly something to remember for the future however. It was food for thought either way. "As far as wine, I can't say I have any opinions other than it isn't nearly strong enough." That's possibly fighting words in some countries.

Once the beer is poured, he'll pull out a bundle of spices and herbs covered in what looks like dried blood. "We'll need a fire to put this in, and with patience it should drag out a strong spirit. If it doesn't, we'll need to go hunting for a beast." He pauses, weighing a choice in his head. "But there is the possibility that instead of looking for a beast of strength, we search for one of cunning. I have had no familiarity with the demons this is to defend against, so which would be better?"

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

[Moonwell]

Domhnall nods and goes about gathering wood for a fire. There's plenty lying around.
    "Well most of you don't make a drink that can hit me in one go. But I've got a weight class advantage." he snickers.
    It's hard to make liquor that can get a 600+ pound equine-hybrid drunk in the same way liquor can affect a human.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang looks between the two girls, then follows Jillian. She's easier to keep up with. Lucy goes really fast all the time. Jillian is likely to be the first to notice a piece of paper hanging on a string from a shutter in the wall. It's just a bit too high for the kids to reach. Since Brinika and Cheasadh aren't all that much taller than the trio, they must have used a ladder or something else to get it up there.

[Moonwell]

"The place I come from is famous for its wines. People have strong opinions about them. I don't, really, but I still remember it." Sophie will do her part in gathering the firewood. "And I think being able to spot the demons, slow them down and warn us might be a better option than relying on the spirit to fend them off on its own."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-12-28 at 06:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

D-37 suddenly catches on to what Sophie might be saying, so she starts laughing. "Really, you're suggesting I'm using it to cope?" She smiles at Sophie in amusement. "You're talking to a sadistic psychopath, Miss, and not one they made. Sure, some of the other kids had to learn not to let feelings get in the way of work, but there's a reason why I was the best at such a young age."

She scoffs in more amusement. "I'm a soldier. I have no need for a name, or feelings! Feelings are for those men who bludgeon their wives to death with a golf trophy. Now professionals: we have standards."

She raises a finger up. "Now, I know what you want to say: 'Zawa has feewings!' She's the cute one, I'm the psycho one... or so I've been told. Don't worry, the one who said that still lives." For now.

Sophie'll be able to see that she's not putting on a show of being someone she's not, she's just spitting facts. She also regards Sophie's attempts to reason with her with some amusement, one she believes will ultimately end up futile.
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Moonwell]

"Ohh, wine. Yeah, people can put a lot of pride in that. Not dwarves though." She turns the bottle to get a better look at the label. "Beer however, that's their stuff." But this was not the time for drinking, she had to help with the ritual!

Putting down the bottle, Anika rushes over to a tree and pulls off a dead-looking branch that Sophie probably couldn't have reached. Being exalted does nothing to increase your height it turns out.

Anika turns to Pathfinder, branch still in hand, and shrugs. "All I saw was this one doggy demon. It could talk though which shouldn't be possible. So that's probably a bad sign." She throws the branch onto the pile. "So it could be anything as it was some kinda leader-y demon I think."

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"That remains to be seen. Which is why you're here, talking to me." Sophie's voice takes on a tone of not quite firmness. It's more like gently but unavoidably directing the conversation. "What do you base your certainty on? Have you been examined by a professional before?"