New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Out in the Woods]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sekhmet conjures a little fire to illuminate the room. Oh, nice! It's an old forge! She always wanted a forge of her own. But it doesn't seem abandoned. Does she hear breathing? She thinks she does. There's someone here, she's sure. "Uh, hello? Sorry for, uh, coming through the chimney, I didn't know anyone lived here."
    No one answers, not in words.
    There's a clamor of sounds - ringing hammers and deep breaths and shouted words, but faint and distant, impossible to make out details.
    And one clear sound, the scraping of chains and metal, from the other room.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #692
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Workshop]

"Oh, I know what you mean." Jillian furrows her brow as she thinks that through. She doesn't know how that makes them fly, but she doesn't know lots about technology either. Maybe she can have it explained.

Right now there's a hunt afoot, though. She can ask later. For now she heads around the building in the opposite direction Jillian went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Workshop]

Tuskfang looks between the two girls, then follows Jillian. She's easier to keep up with. Lucy goes really fast all the time. Jillian is likely to be the first to notice a piece of paper hanging on a string from a shutter in the wall. It's just a bit too high for the kids to reach. Since Brinika and Cheasadh aren't all that much taller than the trio, they must have used a ladder or something else to get it up there.
    [Workshop]

Lucy probably circles around the other side of the place just in time to see them pointing out the piece of paper. She whizzes up and points at them. "Okay, I gotta plan. Tuskfang, you boost Jillian up." Easy.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang looks between the two girls, then follows Jillian. She's easier to keep up with. Lucy goes really fast all the time. Jillian is likely to be the first to notice a piece of paper hanging on a string from a shutter in the wall. It's just a bit too high for the kids to reach. Since Brinika and Cheasadh aren't all that much taller than the trio, they must have used a ladder or something else to get it up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Workshop]

Lucy probably circles around the other side of the place just in time to see them pointing out the piece of paper. She whizzes up and points at them. "Okay, I gotta plan. Tuskfang, you boost Jillian up." Easy.
    [Workshop]

Jillian looks between Lucy and Tuskfang, and then she looks up at the paper. That might work. "Can you do that, Tuskfang?" She asks.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang isn't sure about this. But he can't look like he's scared in front of the other kids! He crouches down under the piece of paper.

"Sure! Stand on my shoulders, Jillian. I'll hold your legs."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet definitely heard that. The sounds of a forge in use, but as if they're far away. And then the much more real sound of chains. "Hello? Is someone there?" She carefully, cautiously peers into the other room. Maybe it's nothing. This place is a bit creepy. It could easily be making her hear things. It could just be the building settling.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #696
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"Yes, in fact. Sorry to burst your 'no one is above redemption' bubble, fat lady. Maybe you're trying to turn me into Zara - who's also like me, by the way, but she fakes it because she was taught to 'be good', whatever that means. I, on the other hand, was taught this: 'nothing is true, everything is permitted'." D-37 fluffs her hair and folds her arms. "Or, are you going to continue this whole 'your overseers are evil, but we're good and we'll help you' song-and-dance, knowing you're not as pure as you seem?"

She leans forward and stares Sophie down. "You know the difference between you and I? I know what I am. You, on the other hand, had a hand in killing a girl's father, and yet you keep the truth from her. Sasha still expects her dad to return for her anytime now, but you're too much of a coward to reveal the truth. I almost told her at Thanksmas, but Zara insisted not to. Even Uriel, Miss Incoruptible, agrees with me, though she insists, and I quote: 'it's her decision to make, and her consequence to bear'."

She raises up a finger and wags it side-by-side. "Of course, I commend you on killing him, I heard he was abusive. Unlike my 'father', who didn't make that mistake, contrary to what you might think. Many cells had abusive directors, and all of them faced breakouts. Ours? He was truly a father to us, and I was his favourite."

Something occurs to her, and she starts laughing again. "Oh, I get it now: you're hoping to get her to see the light before revealing the truth, even if it takes years? Perhaps that's what you tell yourself so you won't have to tell her yet. What cow dung." Once again, her face goes blank and emotionless. "Tell her the whole truth, and then come talk to me about 'good' and 'change'. Until then, this conversation is over."

She doesn't even give Sophie time to react, and her action will be the same regardless of what Sophie does in response: she withdraws and lets Zara take charge once more. The difference is clear: her eyes brighten (though with what she now knows about Zara, she might be able to sense the emptiness behind those eyes), the permanent wide smile returns and she regains her aura of playfulness.

Considering what's been said, however, Zara looks down sheepishly, like she's been bad. "Zara's sowwie, even if big sister isn't." She simply says, and remains silent for whatever Sophie might say next.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-12-31 at 07:34 AM.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #697

"Never seen an-"
    "It's moving-"
    "Tighten things up!"
    In the other room, one can see a contraption of strange yellow metal, suspended by chains from the ceiling over a square table. It's about person-sized, but in shape kind of like a virus or a squid, with metal fins at one end, and at the other a bulb with one glass eye. It's looking at Sekhmet.
    Of the source of the voices, nothing can be seen.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-01-01 at 12:49 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

"Wow... What are you?" Sekhmet asks. The thing looks like a golem, but it's not built like any golem she's ever worked on. And it's watching her! It's clearly awake and possibly intelligent. She slowly, carefully, reaches out with one hand to brush against the thing's metal body curiously.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #699

There are some parts of the 'golem' that are glowing in a blue light. When Sekhmet touches it, they turn red, and it strains against the chains, rattling them. But at the same time, she should recognize it; this golem robot was made by the hive's brothers, their enemies. It has no mind to reach out to, as such, but its nature is the same.
    "You ever seen anything like this?" comments a voice that seems to be just at the side of the table. But again, there is only empty air.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

Pathfinder considers it, frowning as he helps with the fire by placing stones in a circle to help contain it. The demons being guided intelligently raised other issues that he'd deal with considering spirits could be outsmarted and tricked, but he had to deal with this first. "Well Anika, I can say that you've given me an idea for what we should search for now." He reveals as he pulls out pieces of a bow from his bag as well to begin piecing it together. It was odd to see a more modern weapon in his paws, but as he'd stated before he wasn't exactly the kind to shun better technology. "But we'll need to camp out if we're going to search for a great horned owl. It isn't the smartest of raptors, but it is large and powerful and should be harder to deal with than anything terrestrial."

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

"Oh, the demon was just a dog-drone. When it got pummeled the head demon researcher started lookin' and talkin' through it. That's what he told me anyway. Was kind of a jerk. I don't know if most of the idiots he'll be sending will be as smart as that one with him talkin' through it." Domhnall helpfully explains, leaving out that he gave it a drop of moonwell water to talk to it.
    "Yeah, an owl or an eagle would likely be good to keep an eye on the place. And I haven't seen any eagles for a while, so an owl seems like a good pick to me." chimes the ebeul.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

"No, I... Is someone there?" Sekhmet looks worriedly at the empty space that seems to be talking to her. If this thing is an enemy, what should she do? Should she kill it? Can she? It doesn't seem alive, not in any sensible use of the word. Will her magic even work on such a strange being?

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #703

[Workshop]

"Here, I'll get one foot!" Lucy offers, so Jillian's propped on both their shoulders instead of just Tuskfang's. Lucy's not very strong but she can split it with the woblin. Still, she seems pretty unsteady. Jillian had better hurry!

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #704
    Bugbear in the Playground

Moonwell

Anika continues to pick up wood for the fire, aiming for the higher sitting branches that the others can't reach.
    However, should anyone in the group look up at the moon well itself, they might notice that a small group of tiny winged humanoid creatures are standing near the edge of it with a bunch of metal instruments. Looks like they're surveying it.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell]

Sophie was always fairly perceptive - being a hunter honed it as a matter of survival. Becoming a Solar seems to have focused her perception further, so that very few things escape her notice. She glances towards the creatures and snaps to attention, aiming her shotgun at them.

"Watch out. Looks like the demons are already here."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-01-02 at 04:14 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang isn't sure about this. But he can't look like he's scared in front of the other kids! He crouches down under the piece of paper.

"Sure! Stand on my shoulders, Jillian. I'll hold your legs."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Workshop]

"Here, I'll get one foot!" Lucy offers, so Jillian's propped on both their shoulders instead of just Tuskfang's. Lucy's not very strong but she can split it with the woblin. Still, she seems pretty unsteady. Jillian had better hurry!
    [Workshop]

Jillian hesitantly gets into position. The problems are clear as soon as they start to lift her. Tuskfang is smaller than both the girls, which quickly means Jillian has an unsteady surface to stand on. They really should have lifted him up, but Jillian got swept up in Lucy's momentum. If the two other kids are perfectly stable she might make it, but if either falter she's definitely taking a tumble.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang does his best, but his confidence doesn't match his actual ability here. Since Jillian and Lucy are both taller than he his, he has trouble both supporting the former and matching his height with the latter.

[Sophie's Office]

"You and I are very different people, yes." Sophie cuts in right in the middle of D-37's response. She does it in a casual tone, but somehow with the force of a bulldozer, asserting her control over the conversation for a moment. "I do what I must and my choices are mine, as as their consequences. You don't know what else I've had to do. My judgment of the people who forced your life on you remains the same." Once D-37 withdraws, whether she finished her accusation or not, Sophie's attitude changes in a flash and she gives Zara a reassuring smile. "You needn't be, Zara. Your sister's actions are her own. And I can't force her to do anything."

18. - Top - End - #708

"No, I... Is someone there?" Sekhmet looks worriedly at the empty space that seems to be talking to her. If this thing is an enemy, what should she do? Should she kill it? Can she? It doesn't seem alive, not in any sensible use of the word. Will her magic even work on such a strange being?
    The stock opinion of the hive is that it should be destroyed before it can send a signal, if it hasn't already. Explosions are recommended, but there's lots of things that might work.

"Of course, the forge is open; come on in!"
    "Wait, what's happening? Who are-?" The other voice, similar but not identical, chimes in, coming from a grey silhouette that flickers into-then-out-of view at the corner of the table.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #709

[Workshop]

Lucy definitely doesn't lack for enthusiasm, but her technique leaves much to be desired. She's probably in good spirits all the way up until Jillian is already taking her little spill on the grass. "Ack!" She declares, possibly listing into Tuskfang when they mess up.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet looks confusedly at the figure. "I'm Sekhmet. The forge doesn't seem open, uh, it's dark, and, uh, buried underground."
    At the same time, the fiendling focuses on the robot. She raises her hands to blast it with a steady jet of flame, unsure if it will have any effect.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

[Workshop]

Jillian yelps as she tumbles over. Oof. She pushes herself upward on one arm, slightly dazed. "We should do that differently." She suggests. She starts to get up, but before she can elaborate she notices a grave problem. "Oh no! My dress got a grass stain." She pulls around the offending portion of her skirt, marred with a bright green stain.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Lucy listing into him costs Tuskfang the rest of his sense of balance and he topples to the ground much like Jillian did. He peers intently at the map piece from the ground.

"We can find a ladder. Or a stool. Brinika and Cheasadh must've used one too." He scrambles back to the ground. "I get grass on my clothes all the time!"

23. - Top - End - #713
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

D-37 just keeps on talking, with the unfortunate effect being that they end up talking over each other. She waves dismissively at Sophie's words - as though they're mere excuses - and withdraws as promised. She does add one statement, though: "... and if that's how you feel, then we have nothing to talk about. Again, conversation over."

When Zara returns and Sophie's attitude changes, the two personalities have a private discussion inwardly.
    Spoiler: Z+D covo
    Show

D: See, Zara? This is why I only come out when needed. You're the personality everyone likes.
    Z: Why'd you agree to come out, then?
    D: She clearly wanted me to. So did you, little sister. I didn't want to, however.
    Z: I see...
    D: I like that we're together like this, but you have to be the social personality, okay? I'll come out when needed, like when it's killing time, or when Abi wants. I know you want to introduce me to all your friends, but they won't understand.
    Z: Awww... Okay...
    D: Don't be like that, little sister. At least we're together forever, and no one can take us away from the other.
    Z: I won't let them!
    D: Me neither.
    Z: She's looking at us...
    D: You should get back to it, sis.
    Z: Yay! Okay, big sister!

She suddenly perks up, looking happier all of a sudden. "Zara's happy to hear that! Zara was scared you'd want to force big sister to do what she doesn't want. She didn't want to come out, but Zara wanted you to meet her... sowwie, big sister!" She exaggeratedly stands up and puts both hands on her hips. "Can I hug you, Miss Sophie? Hugs are fun!"

She sure is exhuberant! Could what D-37 said about Zara really be true?
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Sophie looks closely at the girl and either or both of the personalities might get the impression she understands more of their inner exchange than she has any right to.

"I believe your sister has had enough people telling her what to do," she says. "I will not join their number." She pauses. "I won't stop you from hugging me if you want, but I'm not sure if you do. Your sister said you act the way you do because people expect it. I'm wondering how much of it is true and if you're not doing it right now. As a way of covering up the tension in the room with cheerful behavior."

25. - Top - End - #715

Out in the Woods

Sekhmet looks confusedly at the figure. "I'm Sekhmet. The forge doesn't seem open, uh, it's dark, and, uh, buried underground."
    At the same time, the fiendling focuses on the robot. She raises her hands to blast it with a steady jet of flame, unsure if it will have any effect.
    "Buried?" says the first voice, with just a flicker. "Nonsense, we're right out in the open."

The golem is bathed in flames. To no effect at first, but then the edges of its lenses and lights begin to blacken, and it lurches in the air trying to get away. The old chains that are holding it here creak and strain...

"You're...you're a demon!" cries the second voice in alarm, the grey shape gaining definition, a young man in blacksmith's apparel, translucent, not quite there.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

"You're a ghost!" Sekhmet responds with an equal amount of alarm. What was it about ghosts? Were they the ones with unfinished business or the ones that are filled with hate for the living? Sekhmet's not sure, and it worries her. She continues blasting the golem. "That thing's dangerous, get away from it!"

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #717

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Workshop]

Jillian yelps as she tumbles over. Oof. She pushes herself upward on one arm, slightly dazed. "We should do that differently." She suggests. She starts to get up, but before she can elaborate she notices a grave problem. "Oh no! My dress got a grass stain." She pulls around the offending portion of her skirt, marred with a bright green stain.
    [Workshop]

Lucy listing into him costs Tuskfang the rest of his sense of balance and he topples to the ground much like Jillian did. He peers intently at the map piece from the ground.

"We can find a ladder. Or a stool. Brinika and Cheasadh must've used one too." He scrambles back to the ground. "I get grass on my clothes all the time!"
    [Workshop]

Lucy gasps as though Jillian's just contracted some deadly disease. "Oh no." Lucy looks at Tuskfang with wide eyes. "Now Aunt Cessie is gonna make Jillian sew a new dress one thread at a time!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #718
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

They do get that impression, but Zara acts none the wiser about it. She starts to advance, arms outstretched as she prepares to hug, then stops in her tracks as Sophie correctly guesses her intentions.

Once the woman's done speaking, Zara drops her hands to her sides and steps back until she's at her chair, sitting down. Through it all, her eyes, unblinking until she needs to, never leave Sophie's. "Very astute." She folds her legs, and places her hands on the top-most knee. "So... what can Zara do for you to make you happy? That's what people like, right? To be made happy? They claim there's such a thing as being too cheerful, but they secretly enjoy it, and they would if they knew the alternative was... this."

She's still smiling wide, but now it's empty, devoid of any false emotion. "Zara has a girlfriend, you know. She says it might not last, and Zara acts sad because that's what Zara is supposed to do, but... in truth, Zara expects it to be so. Teenagers are very fickle, unlike children, who are less likely to engage in self-deceit." She doesn't mention the fact that D-37 has shown herself to Abi, and the half-elf has proven to find that personality more attractive, even if she hasn't said so. It's not time to reveal Zara in her empty, non-cheerful self yet, though... or she might bail.

Then she spreads her arms wide. "This is the true Zara, you wanted to see this, yes? Or...." She returns to her cheerful self. "Or... is this preferable? Knowing what lies beneath, knowing that Zara is a sociopath, you want Zara to always be cheerful all the time, right? You want a hug and to forget that side of Zara exists, right?"
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2021-01-09 at 11:46 AM.
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #719

"You're a ghost!" Sekhmet responds with an equal amount of alarm. What was it about ghosts? Were they the ones with unfinished business or the ones that are filled with hate for the living? Sekhmet's not sure, and it worries her. She continues blasting the golem. "That thing's dangerous, get away from it!"
    The ghost needs no further encouragement and backs away into the corner, away from both Sekhmet and the golem.
    "Why are you here i- wait, why are you helping me?" Shouldn't a demon be trying to kill him or torture him or at least trick him into a regrettable deal?
    Cracks begin to spread through the golem's main lens from the increasing heat. But at the same time, a link on one of the chains snaps. It was sufficient to hold the golem when it was brand new, but now it's old and corroded and facing new pressure and heat. Before too long it could break free completely.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

Out in the Woods

"Uh, why wouldn't I?" Sekhmet flinches as the chain snaps. That's a problem. The golem will be free any minute now. She focuses her powers and intensifies her flame, hoping to severely damage it before it can fight back, even if that means breaking the rest of the chains sooner.

My Nexus characters