New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Sophie's Office ==> Ironoak Cabin]

Sophie looks over at her clock.

"Hmm. We can, if you want to. I have some more time before my next patient."

She gets up from the chair and leads Zara away out of the office, then towards Reelshka's cabin. Even from outside, they'll hear the distinct pitter-patter of two pairs of kids running around as fast as they can.

"Balthuk, Maltrika! Stop! Tuskfang, you should know better than to encourage them!"

"It appears you arrive just in the nick of time, Zara," Sophie observes as she knocks on the door.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"I... see, I guess? Like Magtok's clones." And I can't remember if Natalie has actually met Magtok in canon. I sent her to the doomed timeline where she sheltered with other survivors in the MagCave, and she met him then. But that doesn't count.

"I'm not alone. I'm with you. Wait, I'm misunderstanding something, aren't I?" Natalie's not quite imagining something as small as Choir's individual bodies all working together, because her homeworld's science isn't as advanced as standard Earth's. Microscopy is not something I think she's very aware of.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Sing With Me]

"I am uncertain of what a Magtok is," Choir admits as she reaches one of the cabins and then...

Stares at it.

The door.

She remembers how to manipulate these human devices. Choir reaches out, wraps her fingers around the handle, and twists. The door opens. The way forward is no longer barred to her. Choir enters the cabin and-

-her cart piled with treasures bumps into the doorway.

Choir looks back at it and frowns.

How will she overcome this new barrier?

"Yes," Choir concludes after considering Natalie's question. "You have but one voice. I have many. You are alone. I am not. But... you only see this as a single body, yes? Perhaps if I showed you-"

She raises her hand and allows it to become unwound. The flesh splits apart into dozens of smaller aggregates. Small, red, and armored.

If Natalie is at all familiar with unusual aquatic creatures she may note that they're vaguely similar to trilobites or horse shoe crabs.

[Something Something Something Cubs]

Gilda makes some grumpy kitten noises when she's removed from Sekhmet's shoulder. The rest of the cubs are dragged with her into the cabin. Hopefully Sekhmet's 'dog' doesn't object to them. After all, it doesn't seem to get along well with children.

Geneva, meanwhile, raises a brow at the departing devil. She's curious where this is going.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

Something Something Something Cubs

Sekhmet returns a bit later, with two cubs in her arms and one on Ellie's back, who has also come along. The "dog" doesn't have a problem with children so much as trespassers, and with Sekhmet here to keep it under control, it wearily consents to being pawed at. Sekhmet directs it to sit facing her. "There. Uh, like a mirror, but a bit different." She can tap into Ellie's mind to see herself through its eyes. "How, uh, do I do this? What face should, I try to, uh, make?" Sekhmet suddenly gets a little nervous. What if she gets stuck with the wrong face?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"He used to be a big deal. He's a supervillain, retired now, who uses a whole bunch of clones to survive. They're all linked together so you can talk to one, interrupt the conversation, walk across the room and start talking to another from the same point you left off." Or so Natalie's heard; she's never actually tried it, and it might be a bit confusing for poor Magtok.

"Oh, oh wow. I had no idea you weren't.... well, humanoid. That's incredible." And now Natalie's looking at Choir's face, trying to see the horseshoe crab aggregates that Natalie thinks make up Choir's face. The idea that the trilobite-things are bigger than the inherent parts of Choir still eludes her.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Sophie's Office ==> Ironoak Cabin]

Sophie looks over at her clock.

"Hmm. We can, if you want to. I have some more time before my next patient."

She gets up from the chair and leads Zara away out of the office, then towards Reelshka's cabin. Even from outside, they'll hear the distinct pitter-patter of two pairs of kids running around as fast as they can.

"Balthuk, Maltrika! Stop! Tuskfang, you should know better than to encourage them!"

"It appears you arrive just in the nick of time, Zara," Sophie observes as she knocks on the door.
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Zara happily follows, skip-walking as she normally does, until they get to their destination. She's already started to get a feel for what awaits her by the time Sophie makes her 'nick of time' comment, and nods as enthusiastically as she can.

She uses the time waiting for Reelshka to open up to make herself presentable. Well, more presentable.

"Hi, Mrs Trollfinger!" She immediately says, once the door opens.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

Reelshka opens the door exasperated and frazzled, but trying to put on a brave face. Behind her, the sound of running feet can be heard from another room. There are also voices of the woblin twins, yelling something not particularly articulate or coherent. Tuskfang and Hornclaw can't be heard, but the older woblin is presumably there somewhere.

"Sophie. Zara. What brings you here?"

"Zara wanted to offer to help with babysitting," Sophie says, tactfully not adding that Reelshka looks like she could use it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Something Something Something Cubs]

Gwen is balanced on Ellie, flapping her little wings to help maintain her balance atop the creature. Glory and Gabriel are busy snuggling at Sekhmet. They are exceptionally soft, fluffy little things.

And Geneva?

Well.

When Sekhmet returns she'll find a slight, pink haired human woman holding onto Gilda and scritching her ears.

"I thought a visual reference might help," she says with a smile. "The process isn't different than altering any other part of your anatomy. Intent is still the most important part."

Doesn't work if you don't have the force of will to MAKE it work.

Geneva is going to just stand there and be a model for Sekhmet's benefit.

[Sing With Me]

"I was unaware that a human could have many voices. How do those that are separate know of what the others have spoken?" Choir asks. She isn't sure how such a thing could be possible. The only way she can learn what other aggregates have been doing is by taking communion with them. If she could share experiences at great distances she would be able to learn much faster.

The aggregates that were Choir's hand continue splitting apart, smaller and smaller, until it looks like motile reddish sand with little flashes of orange light flickering through it. At their smallest, Choir's component parts are about half a millimeter across. Looking closely at her face, the texture of her skin DOES have a slightly grainy look to it. There's definitely something off about her, but one would have to pay very close attention to really notice.

"I am uncertain why I took this shape when I was sent here," Choir says as her hand reassembles itself into a hand. "I had never attempted to take the physical form of a human before. The benefits of doing so never occurred to me."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Something Something Something Cubs

Sekhmet looks at Geneva. "Oh, uh, you want me to look like you? Uh, okay." She concentrates. In her mind, she visualizes Geneva's face. She tries to imagine that face on her, but it's an awkward thought. So she imagines it is her reflection in the mirror. She focuses on the imaginary mirror, trying to believe that it's a real mirror, that she's really looking at her reflection.

In the real world, Sekhmet's form twists and changes, not just limited to her face. Her whole body transforms, until a perfect duplicate of Geneva is looking her in the eyes. "Wow! I..." Sekhmet in Geneva's guise gasps and puts her hand to her mouth. "Even my voice!"

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #820
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"I don't know. Technology somehow, I think. Mechanical telepathy." Not that Natalie has any idea what 'mechanical telepathy' looks like or how it works. Really, most technology is beyond Natalie's understanding. She's not like Jack, she's able to keep her mobile phone charged, but mostly uses it as a phone or a camera. Its ability to run games, books, and the internet are entirely neglected.

"I'm glad it's got advantages over the other shapes you've tried. I'm a latent shapeshifter, and I know just how useful these things are." She holds up her right hand and wiggles her fingers; they're so useful, even if some of her shapes can fly or swim better than this one, only two of them have actual useable hands.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

Reelshka opens the door exasperated and frazzled, but trying to put on a brave face. Behind her, the sound of running feet can be heard from another room. There are also voices of the woblin twins, yelling something not particularly articulate or coherent. Tuskfang and Hornclaw can't be heard, but the older woblin is presumably there somewhere.

"Sophie. Zara. What brings you here?"

"Zara wanted to offer to help with babysitting," Sophie says, tactfully not adding that Reelshka looks like she could use it.
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Zara nods enthusiastically. "Yes, Mrs Trollfinger: Zara wants to help you lighten your workload! Can Zara meet the kids?" Depending on whether any of them are at the daycare she works at or not, she probably already has met them at least once. "We can try today and you can see if Zara is up to the task!"
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

Reelshka's ears flick backwards briefly. She's surprised, but decides to accept the offer. After all, she is quite busy with the three children.

"This is unexpected. But I appreciate the offer. Come, let me introduce you. They've seen you around in the daycare, but they're young, so they don't remember people so well."

"I should get back to my office. Good luck, Zara."

As Sophie departs, Reelshka leads Zara into the cabin. There, in a small living room, she'll see the two small woblins running around the table like things possessed. Tuskfang is sitting in an armchair, watching them with a grin and holding Hornclaw.

"Hello, children. If you can pause chasing away evil spirits for a moment, I have someone to introduce to you."

The two kids run towards Zara and stop, staring at her with big, cat-like eyes.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Bye, Mrs Sophie!" Zara waves at the departing woman, then follows Reelshka in and takes in the scenario. Looking down at the two big-eyed little twins, she grins. "Hi, kiddies! Balthuk and Maltrika, right?" She points at herself. "This one is called Zara, and she's happy to meet you! Let's all have fun together, yay!" She reaches to carry the twins in each arm, if they'll allow.

She looks up at the older woblin. "And you must be Tuskfang! Zabb is always talking about you!" Offscreen, Zabb either probably left an hour or two ago, or will be arriving later in the day. Possibly both.
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

[Workshop]

Tuskfang watches with bated breath as Lucy tries to get the paper off. When she succeeds, he jumps up and cheers squeakily, his tail wagging.

"You did it! That was really smart."

The piece of paper is the third part of the map. It leads towards the residential cabins, specifically one less dense cluster of them. The two tiny pirate captains added a hint:

Find the treasure where trees are iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Workshop --> Elsewhere]

"Thank you, thank you," says Lucy as she swivels and bows to each of them from atop the bucket... and almost wobbles off of it. She will hop down before reading the note to them both. "Well, let's go!"
    [Workshop]

"Iron trees?" Jillian comments as they walk to the area on the map. "Is there somewhere with tall, metal poles?" She asks Tuskfang.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop => Ironoak Cabin]

Tuskfang peers intently at the paper.

"No, there aren't. There's just cabins. Like our cabin. Wait. Our cabin is Ironoak Cabin. Maybe it's there!"

[Ironoak Cabin]

The twins try to scurry away from Zara as she reaches out.

"No, we gotta chase away the bad spirits!"

"Like Tuskfang said dad does!"

"For the last time, that's not how it works." Reelshka realizes that her relative lack of knowledge about spirits is hampering her considerably here. Tuskfang, meanwhile, grins toothily and his tail would presumably wag if he weren't sitting.

"Yeah, I'm Tuskfang. And Zabb's my friend."

16. - Top - End - #826
    Halfling in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Good thinking!" Says Lucy, trying to drag Tuskfang along in that direction. Always hurry, hurry, hurry with her.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #827
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

Zara's hands stretch to grab them and lift them up so she can carry them. Hopefully they don't struggle and/or start crying, if that happens then she'd try and rock them a little and sing a song. If that doesn't work, then she'd have to put them down after all!

"Zabb's Zara friend, too. Let's all be friends together!" Zara announces, stepping towards Tuskfang. "You have some cute kids, Mrs Trollfinger!" She says to Reelshka, then turns back to the oldest child. "Zara doesn't think your Dad literally chases spirits away by running, though: he probably uses magic or something. Right, Mrs Trollfinger?"
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

[Workshop => Ironoak Cabin]

Tuskfang peers intently at the paper.

"No, there aren't. There's just cabins. Like our cabin. Wait. Our cabin is Ironoak Cabin. Maybe it's there!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin]

"Good thinking!" Says Lucy, trying to drag Tuskfang along in that direction. Always hurry, hurry, hurry with her.
    [Ironoak Cabin - Scavenger Hunt]

"Oh yeah, that makes sense." Lucy agrees as she follows along. "I never knew the cabins had names."

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"Dad does lots of stuff with spirits! That's what shamans do." Tuskfang's answer is perhaps less helpful than Zara hoped.

"He deals with spirits using rituals, Tuskfang. That means ceremonies and procedures. Not running around like scared goats."

"Well he hasn't taught me any of it yet! But he said he would." This is clearly a point of contention in the household.

The twins are sufficiently distracted by the argument to be picked up. Reelshka sighs heavily.

"Spirits are not my area of expertise. My people aren't very spiritual at the best of times and I've been described as keeping my feet firmly on the ground," she explains.

"They do. The daycare is Sapling Cabin. Because saplings are baby trees," Tuskfang explains as he's dragged along by Lucy. When they arrive before the cabin, he takes a careful look around. "Brinika and Cheasadh must've hidden it here. Let's check outside first. I wonder if my parents helped them."

20. - Top - End - #830

"Does that make me a sapling? My grandpa is a tree," says Lucy. And search around the outside of the cabin she shall!
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-02-09 at 07:38 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #831
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"Dad does lots of stuff with spirits! That's what shamans do." Tuskfang's answer is perhaps less helpful than Zara hoped.

"He deals with spirits using rituals, Tuskfang. That means ceremonies and procedures. Not running around like scared goats."

"Well he hasn't taught me any of it yet! But he said he would." This is clearly a point of contention in the household.

The twins are sufficiently distracted by the argument to be picked up. Reelshka sighs heavily.

"Spirits are not my area of expertise. My people aren't very spiritual at the best of times and I've been described as keeping my feet firmly on the ground," she explains.
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Zara picks up the twins, and hugs them close to her. "Little cuties, yes?" She beams at them, and will allow them to explore her face with their hands if they want to. "Miss Trollfinger's friend Uriel told Zara." She says in response to Reelshka and her down-to-earth nature.

"Tusky - Zabb told Zara he calls you Tusky, and so will Zara - do you want to be like Dad when you grow up?" She asks, as a way to get them talking about themselves. "And how old are Tusky and Bal and Mal?"
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Jillian giggles. "But are you a sapling or a fawn?" She asks with a grin.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

"If she's a dryadeer, that means she's both!" Tuskfang grins. "Fawns are really cute. They have really thin legs." As they search around the cabin, it becomes clear that the clue isn't there. "Maybe it's inside. We gotta go in. I wonder if mom and dad know anything about it. Maybe Brinika and Cheasadh snuck in. But it's hard to sneak by dad. He's got a good nose."

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang looks uncertain at the question.

"I dunno. Mom says I don't need to be just like dad. And I'm still little. But spirits are cool and I want to know about them!" he declares with gusto. "And I'm five."

"We're..." Maltrika's brow furrows in deep concentration.

"You've both two years old, dear."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

One has to wonder what Tuskfang's reaction would be once he finds out his good friend Zabb is a spirit himself, though not of the sort he has in mind.

Zara knows nothing about that, though, so she says what she does know. "Five? Such a little man already! But does Tusky not think that his father is waiting for him to get older? Zara thinks that Tusky's dad is letting him play and grow strong, and prove strong enough to learn about spirits. Workers have little time for play!" She says the last part in a sing-song voice.

The babies are two years old? Zara gasps as she looks at both twins, each supported by one of her hands. "Two years old and already talking clearly! Woblin children must grow up faster, yes?" She says, turning to Reelshka.
    Love is the message.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

The two woblin twins giggle and squirm.

"Goblins and Wolfen both grow up quickly, so perhaps," Reelshka says. "Will you be alright with those three? There was something I needed to do before Tukfang decided to encourage physical exercise."

Tuskfang seems to consider this carefully.

"Maaaaybe. I'm still little. Mom and dad say spirits are serious business. You need to know what you're doing."

26. - Top - End - #836

"Uh huh, I guess Tus'fang is right. I'm neither. I'm a dryadeer!" She will follow Tuskfang into the cabin, looking around with birdlike swiftness.

"I know what you mean. My dad has a really good nose too. I've tried hiding... stuff on his office chair an' under the couch cushions and behind the washing machine an' he always finds everything. And he always seems to find right where we are when we're outside. Hide and seek with him is impossible when he tries. He has to let us win. He says he's always trying, but I can tell when he's not." Lucy is grinning while she babbles all this. "He stinks at hiding though. He's too big."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-02-16 at 10:36 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

A blue haired, pink eyed catgirl is on approach, heading for the Main Cabin. Dressed for the winter, she's clearly familiar with the territory. What she's not familiar with is the person she's looking for. Having a name helps at least. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone if you have their name and general location.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Zara gives each twin a peck on the forehead!

"Zara will try her very best! She does want to make friends with them all, and Zara has a lot of energy if it comes to that!" She responds, trying to reassure Reelshka that her kids are in good hands. Besides, the kids need to get used to her presence in the absence of their very busy mother.

"Yes, exactly!" Zara replies Tuskfang as she skips over to the couch - knowing the kids might enjoy the rocking movement whilst safely nestled in the stretchy girl's arms. "Does Tusky not think that his parents want him to grow older first? Zara is sure that Tusky's dad will be very happy to teach Tusky what he knows, at the right time!" She continues as she sits down, bouncing her legs for the enjoyment of each twin.
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

The twins giggle some more and squirm in Zara's arms.

"Down!" Maltrika demands.

"Why are you talking about yourself like you're some other person?" Tuskfang asks suddenly. "You're Zara."

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Looking for Trouble]

A blue haired, pink eyed catgirl is on approach, heading for the Main Cabin. Dressed for the winter, she's clearly familiar with the territory. What she's not familiar with is the person she's looking for. Having a name helps at least. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone if you have their name and general location.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inquiring at the main cabin, Reina will be directed to the far side of the camp and Hawthorn Cabin, which is apparently where the mysterious Sekhmet lives.

My Nexus characters