New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet seems very confused. How did it get there? What is it supposed to mean? But she answers Geneva's question. "The two sides try to take control of neutral pieces to summon their stronger pieces into the middle world, then destroy each other. And there's a special piece called the Walker that can enter both the upper and lower worlds on its own." Sekhmet comes to a realization. "We should see if any other pieces are familiar." She pulls them out one at a time. The last two red pieces are also unfamiliar, and then she starts revealing grey ones. Almost every second one makes Sekhmet give a quiet gasp, as it's someone she recognizes. There's a gnome in a mechanical chair, a curly-haired human youth, a hive queen. There's Spike, in her monstrous true form. There's a blindfolded fox girl with two tails. There's Geneva, her little mew form pictured perched atop her griffin form's head. There's a pair of gnomes, treated as a single piece. There's a kindly-looking woman. There's Ilpholin, who Geneva probably also recognizes, looking ready to kill. There are more people Sekhmet doesn't recognize. A six-winged humanoid dragon, a bit like a tree or a deer. A grim-looking man in fancy clothes, clutching a pair of simple, sturdy daggers tightly. A wild-looking old man in a loincloth, holding a staff covered in barbs above his head. And three more strange humans, 15 pieces in all. Then Sekhmet gingerly, fearfully, reaches into the box and pulls out the last piece, made from joined pieces of red and white stone, already knowing who it will depicts. Even so, she seems shocked to view her likeness, perfectly made in her image down to every detail. She shudders.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Geneva was told not to talk about...

That person.

The one in the pocket universe.

She really, really doesn't like tricksters and gods.

"The box came out attached to one of my probes," Geneva explains as she eyes the various pieces. Some of them she knows. Some of them she doesn't. The one that looks like her, like both of her, is uncanny. "Someone must have wanted you to have this. How many of these people do your recognize? That's Spike, right? From the Thanksmas party?"

Geneva clenches her fists.

"I really don't like the implication that we're just game pieces."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet sorts out the pieces. Of the neutral ones, she recognizes 10 out of 15. "Whoever made this has been watching me closely." She looks frightened now. "I'm represented by the Walker. The most valuable piece, but also the most dangerous. She seems to think for a moment. "Wasn't there a paper attached to it? What did it say?" Uh oh. If Geneva doesn't want to betray the mysterious entity, she'll have to think up a good answer, quickly.

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #64

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Why would you think Geneva doesn't want to betray the mysterious entity?

She still thinks he (it?) was a jerk.

"That the box would offer us some explanation of what's going on,"
    Geneva replies, her tone level.

That is a completely true statement!

The paper also said other things.

But those things are mostly not relevant.

"Do you remember WHY it was so important that you went through the portal?" Geneva asks. "As soon as I ended the synchronization you ran off through it. I could feel something in there tugging at you before synchronize ended."

She frowns.

"We really need to work on your mental defenses."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet shivers. "In a horrible way, it does. I wish I didn't know." She's asked what it was that called her. "I, uh, don't know. It's like something beckoned me. Like someone called my... Name." The capital letter is audible. That word's probably pretty important. Now she's really freaking out, talking to herself out loud. "But who would know that? Only Prumathe, Spike and Mother and none of them could've..."

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #66

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"I heard a name while we were in Hell," Geneva admits. "I'm sure it was being used to refer to you."

She had suspicions.

That whole 'power in the name' thing really wasn't ever part of either of the worlds Geneva was from, but she understands the basic concept.

Especially when it comes to otherwordly beings.

Quite a few can be controlled and compelled based on their True Name.

"I remember it. But... I don't think mentioning it aloud is a good idea. Right?"

She isn't wholly sure how these things work and Geneva knows better than to poke at things she doesn't understand.

...at least not without proper scientific rigor.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet is now curious, but also frightened. "What was it? It's okay to say it, as long as you don't have any supernatural authority and no one untrustworthy is in earshot." Her Name is long though. She'd be surprised if Geneva heard it and could remember it all.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #68

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"It was Sakiril-Ess," Geneva replies after a moment or two of hesitation.

Without really thinking about it she glances around just to make sure no villainous entities are hiding in one of the cabinets.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

The words flow off Geneva's tongue in fiery glyphs. They clearly have power, but it fades quickly. Sekhmet shivers again. "That's the first part of my Name. It means Fated One." She looks positively terrified. "Who could know that? I only told two people, and I'm sure neither of them would tell anyone else!" Luckily, Geneva didn't hear the whole thing. Sekhmet wants to keep close track of who knows her Name.
    Maybe Geneva notices that the "dog" is mirroring some of Sekhmet's reactions, suggesting that their minds might be linked right now. If she's really perceptive, she might notice Sekhmet mirroring its reactions when she scratches its back again, trying to calm herself down.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #70

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"Whoever or whatever they are, I think they mean well at least," Geneva says. "Something prevented me from teleporting us out. Which was a good thing. I learned later that trying to teleport out of that interstitial space would have been disastrous."

That's something, right?

"I wonder how literal this game is," she says, picking up one of the pieces. "If these forces aren't at work, either trying to appear here or at your home world. If that's accurate-"

Then she picks up one of the angels.

"Then shouldn't we be able to look for some additional allies to oppose your mother?"

Loath as she is to deal with divinities that seems like an option.

Sapphira is here, right? Would it be possible to pull in one of these angels to smack her down?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"Uh, that should be possible." Sekhmet replies, "But I don't know how." Sounds like it's time for some research. "If I'm the Walker, there should be some way for me to enter Heaven. Maybe I could go there and try to contact one." She's got no clue how she'd get there though. "It's said that the game represents a duel between Old Man Fate and the Evil One in the distant past. Maybe those circumstances are repeating themselves?"

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #72

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Geneva does her best to avoid an eye-twitch at the mention of Old Man Fate.

Great.

That's probably who that was, wasn't it?

Ugh.

She hates being used as someone's pawn. When Fortuna does it. When Libra does it. When Mister Fate does it. These entities toying with lives are aggravating.

"Maybe," Geneva agrees. "Maybe that's something to try another time. You're already suffering from magical fatigue. And I'll admit, I haven't spent much time studying the effects of bridging to supernatural universes, only material ones. I know some worlds have those in abundance. My interest is mostly just in finding a way to allow people who are stranded here to get home if they desire."

And to open up a stable connection back to her home world.

She's certain that the condition of her home could be improved with the injection of a little bit of trade and hope.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Geneva is a pawn. Sekhmet's more like a queen. A valuable piece that needs to be protected until it can be used to unleash a devastating offense against the enemy.

Sekhmet continues scratching Ellie's back and using her connection to the other hiveling to feel the pleasant sensation herself. This has been a surprisingly stressful conversation. "I, uh, guess you're right. I shouldn't try to open any more portals now." Sekhmet shudders once more. "I, uh, don't like feeling like a piece in a game either." She could see the displeasure on Geneva's face. The difference is, Sekhmet was resigned to it since the hive tricked her into joining them. Someone is always trying to manipulate her.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #74

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"I don't think anyone does," Geneva sighs. "Like being treated as a game piece, I mean. Not opening portals. Most people can't open portals."

In Geneva's experience only a very small segment of the population can open portals! Teleportation is slightly more common. But only slightly.

She considers the 'dog' for a moment.

"Maybe you should talk me through everything that's happened to you since our last flight lesson."

It feels like she's missed...

A whole bunch.

It was only a week!

How could so much have happened in a week?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"Uh, where to begin?" Sekhmet muses. "It started when Prumathe ran into a strange Tiefling on the street. She was looking for her missing daughter who just happened to be my age and look like me. He told her that he didn't know anyone like that, but she followed him home. He called me to, uh, warn me, and the Hive was keeping an eye on me, so they got involved. A duplicate of me they created and Prumathe went to distract the stranger while they carried me off to a safe location far away. They learned that she was my mother, and an archfiend, and she had come to collect me. They escaped her but she stalked them until she found a way down to the Hive's tunnels. Then they asked me to help them create a trap for her, and offered her a deal, me, in exchange for her help in improving the fiendish power they copied from me. I devised a trap for her, and they directed her to its location. On the way, we used a magical ritual to learn my Name, which increased my power. The trap would have gone perfectly, but she threatened Prumathe. I got angry and drew too much power, enough to start to kill me from the inside. The Hive rushed me back to their healing pools, but I was nearly dead by the time we got there. I was paralyzed, cooking alive from the inside, and my brain was shutting down. Without healing magic from Prumathe and the Hive, I would have died there. But they were able to rebuild me, as this, which keeps my power contained." She gestures to some of her new changes. "That was the day before the lesson I missed. After that, all I could do was sleep. I slept all day." There you have it, Geneva. "Any, uh, questions?

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"Wow that's... that's a lot to take in," Geneva replies. "The Hive had to rebuild you? Like... your old body was?"

Dead?

Destroyed?

Burned up from the inside out?

None of those sound very fun.

And then?

Geneva remembers to drink her tea.

Yay tea!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet looks a little awkward. She knows what the missing word from Geneva's sentence is. "Uh. Yes. From a certain standpoint you could say I died." What else do you call it when your nervous system shuts down? But the important thing is, she's still alive. "I'm, uh, okay now." And it explains why she's not so worried about the Hive anymore.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #78

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Geneva reaches out to put a hand on Sekhmet's.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been traumatic," she says.

Geeze.

The forces of weird just aren't going to leave Sekhmet alone, are they?

Just keep piling more weird onto her?

Ugh.

That's something Geneva can relate to.

Easily.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"It's, uh, hard to describe." Sekhmet sniffs. Is she about to start crying? "But I'm worried I'm not the same person as I was before. I might just be a copy." She's definitely crying now, tears streaming out of her black eyes and down her face. "At least I know my, uh, Name is the same." If she was really thinking about it, she'd realize that meant she really is the same, since it defines the core of her being.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #80

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"I've been inside your mind, Sekhmet. More than once. If you were a different person I would have noticed," Geneva reassures her.

Is she absolutely certain that's the case?

Well.

No.

Not really.

But she's pretty confident in her abilities!

And Sekhmet could really use some reassuring right now.

"This reminds me of the old teleporter problem of self. Have you ever heard of that before?"
    Geneva asks. Maybe she can distract Sekhmet with some nerd things.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"Thanks, Geneva." Sekhmet says, slightly reassured. She leans on her sky-hook, trying to take solace in the contact with someone else. At the same time, Ellie jumps up into Sekhmet's chair and curls up on her lap. Being the size of a large dog, this provokes a surprised yelp from Sekhmet, but it still feels good to have her loyal pet nearby. "No, uh, I haven't."

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #82

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Sekhmet gets a reassuring smile in reply.

"Well. Warp pads were developed years ago by Devin Corporation back on my home world. They created a stable bridge between the two linked pads. You could step onto one and WOOSH! you would appear at the other. But-"

She raises a single finger.

"-they would discoporeate you and rebuild you on the other side. This lead to all sorts of debate on the nature of being. Was it really the same person who stepped onto the pad? Or just a copy of them and the original person was gone? This technology was originally developed based on the Abra's teleport skill, the same move I use. The eventual consensus was that the original person remained. There wasn't any experiment you could run that would find a difference between them. They were exactly the same for all practical purposes, they had all the same memories, the same personality, so why bother knotting yourself up over something that's epistemologically impossible to resolve? It's like getting stuck on solipsism."

Lots of big words.

"Basically, we really dug into this issue back home. Conclusion? Definitely not a copy. And if your name is still the same I would say that proves it. True Name stuff really isn't my area of expertise, but what little I know about it suggests that if you WERE a new person in any capacity of the concept then your True Name would be different, too."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet smiles faintly. "I, uh, maybe, uh," She stumbles over her words a little bit. "Would you like to, uh, hear it? Not the Name itself, but, uh, what it means?" Her Name has too much power for her to idly say it, but she can explain it without saying it.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #84

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"I would like that, yes. Probably more exciting than mine. It just means 'juniper tree'. Which in turn means 'evergreen'."

So.

Technically.

She is named after a tree.

Not very green, though.

Really, she looks like a pretty typical northern European human.

Just with pink hair.

The pink hair is kind of weird.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Sekhmet breathes deeply. In some ways, she wishes her name was simple, like Geneva's. "Okay, uh. I am the Fated One, Daughter of the Queen of Poison, Princess of the Scorching Depths, Unwilling Convert, Fiery Protector, Rebellious One, and Lady of Forgiveness." As far as other fiends from her world go, her Name is short, but she doesn't know that. She also doesn't know the meaning of her original name, the one she still goes by.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"That's an extremely long name," Geneva points out, unaware that they can be even worse. "I've heard of some people who have names that describe their whole life story. I can't imagine they use then in general conversation."

Geneva pauses a moment to consider, taking another sip of her tea.

"Fated. That's an interesting word. Fatalism is a fascinating concept. Are things really predestined? Are we just going through the motions and believing that we have a choice? Rebellious, though. That implies the opposite. If fate is real, then there's no such thing as rebellion. Only the illusion of it. You can't be fated and a rebel, can you?"

Oh no.

Geneva is being a giant nerd again.

You don't always have to be a nerd, Geneva.

You COULD just smile and nod.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"I don't think so. I could be fated to be rebellious. I've rebelled against my mother, and sometimes the Hive." At this Sekhmet gives Ellie an apologetic look. The hive has helped her more than it's hurt her at this point."And you can resist fate without being free of it." She believes in both fate and free will, that people have their choice, but the end result of all things is set in stone.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #88

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"It's just such an odd idea," Geneva says. "Especially considering how quantum mechanics works. It's pretty well established that the universe down at the lowest level isn't deterministic. Things can happen randomly. It's been definitively proven that knowing all true statements about any given system is impossible."

She gives a little snort.

"I guess that's where divinities get into it again."

Stupid cheating divinities making perfectly good models invalid just by existing!

Why do they have to be such a pain?

"So... you said that the Hive made that new body for you. From what I've seen of them they tend to lean toward organic aesthetics. What's the purpose of the metal parts? I could tell those were channels for your magic when we were synchronized, but they don't really 'fit' with the Hive, if that makes any sense."

Geneva isn't sure if that makes sense.

The metal bits just seem out of place.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

"If they had their way, I'd probably be covered in tentacles and chitin," Sekhmet jokes, "They built this body to a design I provided. The metal bits do something with my fiendish essence, but I'm not sure what, exactly. I just, uh, knew I needed them." Sekhmet scratches Ellie on the back of the neck, under its armored crest. "I can describe the changes made, but, uh, only one do I know the exact purpose of. If you were to cut me open, you'd, uh, find an extra organ, here." Sekhmet points to a spot on her torso. "All my blood flows through it. It keeps it cold and prevents my powers from overheating me." But if you were to touch Sekhmet, the net result of that would be considered a deadly fever in a human, but it's actually her natural body temperature from before the recent transformation.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #90

[Hawthorn Cabin]

"Fascinating that you had an instinctual understanding of the physiological modifications your new body would need to contain your magic," Geneva hums.

Genetic memory, maybe?

Something programmed into her mind?

It sounds like her mother had encouraged this alteration.

She isn't the sort of entity that would do things without purpose, based on what little Geneva knows.

Why, though?

Does she need Sekhmet in a particular state to accomplish her goals?

Likely.

All the more reason to make sure she can't escape from her prison.

"You've been through quite a bit. I think you deserve some time to relax," Geneva says. "Do you still want to show me how to play the game?"