New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Looking for Trouble]

"I take it your mother's some kind of demon queen?" Reina asks. "Hmm... well that could still mean a lot of different things. For instance, it could mean she tries too hard and you end up dethroning her and abolishing the position altogether." Reina shrugs a little.

"Is that the exact wording of the prophecy?" Exact wording is super important when dealing with prophecies. The only thing more litigious are wishes and contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"It says that I'll inherit her throne and rule for eternity. And, uh, some other things too. Uh... Mercy will be restored to the world, uh, something about a light. Uh, it's hard to remember sometimes." Sekhmet doesn't want to rule in Hell for eternity. She doesn't even want to live forever. That's way too long. And wouldn't everyone she knows grow old and die and leave her alone?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

Not even remotely. There's actually quite a few eternal beings around these parts Sekhmet could be friends with. And if she truly ends up with demon queen power, then she could probably turn those who were willing to be her friends forever into immortals as well. Ruling Hell? Well, yeah, that's a different story.

Reina raises an eyebrow. "Something something something?" The catgirl wasn't sure if Sekhmet was being vague on purpose or if the demon girl had been trying to get away from this prophecy for so long she actively refused to memorize it. "You wouldn't happen to have it in writing would you?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Uh, let me get my journal." Sekhmet rushes off to one of the bedrooms (the only one in the cabin that looks used) and returns a few moments later with a book bound in brown leather, marked only by four parallel slashes cut into its cover at an odd angle. They look almost like claw marks.
    "Oh, uh, where was it?" Sekhmet begins furiously flipping pages, starting near the middle of the journal and working forwards. "There's Thanksmas, so... Found it!" She holds the page up for Reina to see. In Sekhmet's precise handwriting it reads,
    Sakiril-Ess, let your fate be known. You shall resist the Queen of Poison, but she shall have you in the end. Someone you do not know but who knows you well shall try to make amends to you. A serpent will be both boon and bane to your path. You shall find voice for the silenced and strength for the meek. What you seek you shall not find, and what you do not desire will be given to you. You shall inherit the throne of your mother and rule injustice forevermore. At your urging, mercy shall return to the house above, and a light restored shall be planted in the heavens.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking For Trouble]

"Ah. Thank you." Reina nods her head and pulls out a blank notebook of her own to copy that down, writing it word for word. "Well..."

The diagnosis is pretty grim. As far as prophecies go, this wasn't the most obtuse. The amount of wiggle-room for a positive interpretation was minimal.

"I'll, uh, have some experts look at this. I'm more a suffer from a prophecy type person than an interpret them one." Technically true! "Is your mom also known as the Queen of Poison? What does she want in all this? I'd imagine she'd much prefer you out of the picture rather than have this prophecy come to pass." That's usually how the story goes, isn't it?
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-03-04 at 11:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Yes, that's her. No, uh, she won't kill me. She wants me to swear my, uh, undying fealty to her." Sekhmet looks worried at the possibility. "An oath like that is, uh, more binding to us. I would be literally unable to disobey her as long as I lived." She doesn't need to explain why that's bad. "She's, uh, given up on peaceful methods to do it. If she catches me..." Sekhmet doesn't want to think about that.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking For Trouble]

"Ah. I see. Smart." Demon royalty always thought one step ahead of the curve. "Well, hmm. What if you swore an undying oath of fealty to someone or something else that you trust? Then any she tried to impose on you would be null and void because you already have an oath."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

Sekhmet thinks about it. She shakes her head. "No. Not even for my husband. To give up my free will like that..." she shivers. "I don't want to be a slave, uh, not to anyone." She has her wedding vows, and that's enough loyalty for her. True fealty would be far more. She wants to be a partner, not property. She might love Prumathe and trust him with her life, but she wouldn't give him or anyone that much power over her.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking For Trouble]

Presumably a person Sekhmet trusts wouldn't abuse such an oath and make her into a slave, but Reina just nods. "I understand. Alright, well different tact... what do you believe in? Like most of all? Truly and deeply? Is it Peace? Freedom? Something even stronger than that? The number one most ultra important concept to you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

Sekhmet has to think about this for some time. "Uh, kindness?" Reina should probably be able to tell that with all Sekhmet's hesitancy and indecision, she probably really doesn't know. She doesn't seem the type to really know what motivates herself. "Are you suggesting I swear an oath to kindness?"

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Pretty much, yeah." Reina raises her hand and closes her eyes as if in a solemn oath. "It's much better to swear yourself to an Ideal than a person, don't you think? An oath to Kindness will probably undermine anything your mom tries to do to you." Well not anything. But it's a good framework for wiggle room!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"But, uh, what if she changes what I think is kind? It, uh, still seems risky." But it's a better idea than the last one. Sekhmet seems to think about it. "Or what if I decide kindness isn't the most important thing? I wouldn't be able to change anymore." That's the problem with eternally binding oaths. They're eternally binding.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Well it doesn't matter what YOU think is kind, does it? Or her. Just what is. That's why you'd be bound to a concept, not the perception of that concept. Just because someone thinks it's a kindness to say... put a homeless person out of their misery, it wouldn't actually inherently make it a kindness." If the oaths are as binding as Sekhmet suggests, it should work out.

"It is true. You are making a commitment to avoid a worse case scenario. One that admittedly seems to be knocking on your doorstep. I can't tell you it's the right thing to do. But I think historically, we've admired the people who make those commitments. Who put their foot down for Kindness or Peace or Freedom. I think it'd be really admirable." Reina rubs the back of her neck. It is, at the end of the day, just her opinion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Oh, uh, that makes sense." Sekhmet thinks. "Maybe kindness isn't the right thing to swear to. There are a lot of, uh,important things to me." Reina bringing up some other ones that Sekhmet cares about helped her to realize that. "Like peace and freedom, or, uh, love, uh, forgiveness, hospitality, uh, friendship, uh, and others."

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Hospitality? Forgiveness?" Reina raises an eyebrow. Those weren't usually named in lists like this, but Sekhmet was rattling off a lot of things. Or they were extra important.

The catgirl doesn't know! Only Sekhmet would know. Maybe a different approach... "Right. Well people are complicated after all. Now close your eyes and focus on each of those ideas, one at a time. Personify them. Embrace them. Find out which one calls to you the most. Patiently. Word by word."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Hey! Forgiveness is really important!" But Sekhmet wouldn't expect a mercenary to understand. A good part of their work comes from people who don't forgive, after all. "Okay, uh,"

"Peace." Pacifism has always been important to Sekhmet. But she's learned there are times she needs to protect herself using force. No.
    "Freedom." It's important to be free. But hasn't she already bound herself down in marriage? She doesn't want to be forced to end that. No.
    "Love." Sekhmet loves Prumathe, and her friends, and everyone who's helped her. But... Love is a powerful force, not to be trifled with. Maybe.
    "Forgiveness." Sekhmet thinks about this. To forgive others is powerful. To be forgiven is freeing. There's no way it could be twisted for evil. And it does call to her. It's in her name. Keyra Dogetal, Lady of Forgiveness. That might be the one. It is the one.
    "Yes. Forgiveness

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Right." Reina glanced off to the side quietly. Forgiveness is important huh? Maybe... maybe for the small things. The big things can't be forgiven. Shouldn't be. Some things were impossible after all.

The catgirl is quieter than usual as she lets Sekhmet work it out. Oh man, she picked the worst possible one! Reina looks up from that spot on the floor at the curious demon. Well something, something all types. It's simply how things are. "Well then. All you got to do is swear an oath to Forgiveness then." Reina doesn't know how good an oath to forgiveness will actually help against the Queen of Poison, especially compared to the other options, but it's better than nothing? The catgirl doesn't know. She's been making this up as she's been going along anyways, drawn in out of pity to helping someone with their fate.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-02-26 at 10:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Okay, uh," Sekhmet holds up her left hand and speaks. "I will uphold forgiveness in all things, and hold no wrong against those who do them. I shall heal and protect, nurture and grow, so that those who I forgive may learn from me. No wrong is unforgivable, and I will seek forgiveness for the wrongs I have committed. SO I VOW." There's an echoing and reverberating of power, and Sekhmet seems to shift in her shape and bearing ever so slightly. She looks down at herself as if feeling everything for the first time. "Wow, uh. That feels different than I expected."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

Reina almost looks mad for a moment when Sekhmet says no wrong is unforgiveable. What a naiv- ahh. The catgirl quickly covers it up with a smile. Keep it professional, not personal!

"Well such things usually do. There you have it. I hope it serves you well, and you forgiveness in return. If you don't mind, just a few follow up questions. First, I didn't catch a name, just a title. What's your mother's name?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Uh, sure." But when Reina asks that question, Sekhmet looks awkward. "Uh, I don't know her name, but she goes by Sapphira." Names are important to their kind of fiend. "Her titles, uh, include Queen of Poison and of the Burning Depths, but I don't know any more of it."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Pretty name," Reina says, idly marking that down. "Alright last thing. Are you familiar with any particular threats to Inside?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin - Scavenger Hunt]

The treasure-hunting trio will find themselves in a short corridor containing coats and boots, which then leads to the cabin's living room. It's a pretty humble living space, but one the family have made their own. One major feature seems to be differently-sized furniture, given the range of sizes found in the inhabitants. Reelshka can be seen sitting in one of the smaller armchairs and looks up when the three kids barge in.

"Moom! Did Brinika and Chesadh hide something here?" Tuskfang asks without much of an introduction.

"I haven't seen them. But you know they can be sneaky." Reelshka is lying; she knows her nieces went through the cabin to hide something. But she's very good at lying to children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post

"Hi missus Reelshka!" says Lucy with a wag of her hand, forgetting Mrs. Trollfinger's last name again. Geez, she's so small. Even smaller than Lucy's mom. She checks the paper they got again to see if she missed any details about what might be here.

Jillian stands behind the other two for a moment as they address Reelshka, but she doesn't wait long to step forward herself. "Hello Mrs. Reelshka. My name is Jillian." She gives a small bow.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Uh, my mother could be if she wanted to. But, uh, other than that? No, I, uh, don't think so." Sekhmet knows lots of threats to herself, but not many that would be dangerous on a larger scale.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

[Looking for Trouble]

"Ok. Well, that's all then. Have a nice day." Reina looks eager to leave as she turns towards the door to head out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

Looking for Trouble

"Okay, uh, bye!" Sekhmet waves farewell. "Nice meeting you!"

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

"Hello, Lucy. And Jillian. You must be one of Cessie Mithar's kids. And a very well-mannered young lady. You should have introduced your new friend first, Tuskfang." Tusfkang pouts at being chided. "So you've scoured the entire campsite and come here?"

"Yeah!" Tuskfang waves the map in the air. "Brinika and Cheasadh's clues say it's here."

"Good luck, then. Those two can be pretty clever when they put their heads together."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang's ears perk up in curiosity. Hornclaw decides that he hasn't been pet in too long and rubs against his hand with his head, croaking.

"How do you make it a game?"

The twins grab and pull at Zara's fingers. Sooner or later they'll try to bite them. Their teeth are definitely more developed than those of human babies the same age.
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"Well, Zara teaches Tusky and gives points for being a good boy and sitting still. If Tusky gets enough points, he earns a reward! Like ice cream, more playtime, or-" Zara turns to glance at the twins just in time to see them trying to exercise their teeth on her fingers.

She pulls her hands away from their grasp. "No! No biting! Naughty!" She scolds the twins, booping their noses. "Don't do it again!" She adds, kissing their noses.

Back to Tuskfang. "Zara hopes to make learning more fun for Tusky. Is good, yes?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang tilts his head this way and that. Rewards for sitting still.

"This sounds like something teachers do. But we can try!" When his siblings try to bite Zara, he laughs. "They like biting things! Mom and dad say I did it too. Goblin and wolfen babies bite things and we're both."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Something Something Something Cubs]

"Even your voice,"
    Geneva laughs. "So you can see, once you become accustomed to using abilities like this it becomes SIGNIFICANTLY easier. There's almost always a trick that will work for you, some mental exercise that you can focus yourself with to apply the Transform effect. Once you have that tool it's just a matter of applying it whenever you have the need."

She sets Gilda down on the ground, allowing the cub to begin toddling off toward a nearby bush that a small bird just landed in.

No doubt Gilda has murder in her heart.

Gabriel and Glory, meanwhile, seem a little puzzled when Sekhmet all of a sudden smells like mom.

They can tell it isn't her, though. After all, they can't feel the mental contact that the real Geneva maintains with them.

"Granted, shape shifting like this doesn't typically carry a great deal of every day utility. It's pretty important to me, however, thanks to how whimsically diverse my family is. For you, though, I suspect being able to rearrange the alterations your mother made to you would be quite welcome. Or, for that matter, being able to soften your fiendish features if you so desire. Being able to control your appearance is a pretty valuable tool when it comes to self expression, after all! Though if I understood your abilities correctly, I don't think your shape shifting is able to mimic the Moves of your target like Transform does."

[Sing With Me]

"That is a word I do not know. Telepathy? Far feeling? I only learn of what others of myself have learned when we partake of communion,"
    Choir admits as she begins methodically examining the interior of the cabin. Like any of the empty cabins it's pretty spartan.

First order of business?

Taking out the gyroid and setting it on an end table.

Perfect.

Choir does not know what this strange object is for. It feels mysterious and foreboding, yet important.

"Yes. The small fingers allow for fine manipulation that would otherwise be difficult," Choir agrees. "You are able to re-order yourself? Yet you have only one voice. How do you do this?"

In her time Choir encountered many humans. All of them were merely a great slab of flesh with a great tumorous mind encysted inside a calcified shell. How could such a thing ever hope to change and adapt?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Something Something Something Cubs

"Uh, yes, right." Sekhmet's a little distracted feeling her back for her tail and wings, which aren't there. She takes a few steps and stumbles. She's not used to having a human's distribution of weight. "Uh, I think I should go back to being myself now." But now she can get rid of those awkward "enhancements" her mother gave her. She focuses and forces herself back into her natural shape.

But Geneva may notice she got some things wrong.

She's back to having horns and wings and red skin and all that, and definitely recognizable as herself, but she isn't back to how she looked when they first met. She's instead partway between what Sapphira made her and what she originally was. She's not over the top sexualized, but she is statuesque, the picture of a noble princess. She looks down at herself and breathes a sigh of relief. "Ah, that's better."

My Nexus characters