New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Something Something Something Cubs]

"It looks like your shape shifting doesn't endow you with your new body's spatial awareness. Fascinating," Geneva comments as Sekhmet stumbles a little. "It must be purely physical. No mental or psychic alterations."

There she goes.

Being a nerd and making observational notes on everything.

And then Sekhmet changes again!

Just...

Different?

Geneva looks fascinated.

"Interesting..." she says, moving to walk in a circle around Sekhmet and observer her from a few different angles. "Did you modify your appearance intentionally?"

Gilda, meanwhile, begins stalking toward the bird in the bush-

-which promptly flies away.

The griff cub reacts by flopping over on her side and attacking her tail.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Something Something Something Cubs

Sekhmet is turning around to get a look at herself as well. "Huh? No, this is how I always looked... Isn't it? Did I, uh, mess up?" Her searching herself for imperfections becomes more frantic. "What is it?"
    Is this her self-image made real, then? If it is, she might be more accepting of her role as fiendish princess than she lets on.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #903
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"Telepathy's the ability to transmit your voice over long distances, into someone else's mind. Or over shorter distances, but again into someone else's mind rather than through the air where someone could overhear it." Some people might be able to pick up on telepathic communications, but Natalie doesn't know that. She's only vaguely aware of how telepathy works- it's a pretty rare feat on her homeworld, and one she's unlikely to develop.

"One of my ancestors was a shapeshifter, and I inherited their ability to rearrange my biology to adopt another form. I didn't inherit their truly metamorphic flesh, however. I can't adopt a new shape on my own." It's basically magic, but natural magic. Supernatural, in the sense of nature but super. I don't know how it would work in a reality without magic to smooth it over- or even if it could work.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Halfling in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

Lucy is momentarily distracted from Reelshka and the treasure hunt at hand. She presses her hands over her mouth and laughs. Jillian is just so... fancy. "Gosh, Jillian. Laela likes to play Princess, but you actually are one."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-03-01 at 03:24 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #905
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang tilts his head this way and that. Rewards for sitting still.

"This sounds like something teachers do. But we can try!" When his siblings try to bite Zara, he laughs. "They like biting things! Mom and dad say I did it too. Goblin and wolfen babies bite things and we're both."
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"So do human babies, though our teeth aren't as sharp. They're more multipurpose, unlike canine teeth." Zara explains. "And Zara aims to make learning fun for Tusky! What does Tusky find fun?" She asks the little woblin as she lifts and rocks the twins from side to side.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Scavenger Hunt]

"Hello, Lucy. And Jillian. You must be one of Cessie Mithar's kids. And a very well-mannered young lady. You should have introduced your new friend first, Tuskfang." Tusfkang pouts at being chided. "So you've scoured the entire campsite and come here?"

"Yeah!" Tuskfang waves the map in the air. "Brinika and Cheasadh's clues say it's here."

"Good luck, then. Those two can be pretty clever when they put their heads together."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Lucy is momentarily distracted from Reelshka and the treasure hunt at hand. She presses her hands over her mouth and laughs. Jillian is just so... fancy. "Gosh, Jillian. Laela likes to play Princess, but you actually are one."
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Jillian tips her chin up proudly and smiles. "Of course."

But there's a task at hand yet. She looks around the inside of the cabin. "Was that the only clue, Tuskfang?" She asks. They got to the cabin, but how do they find it in here? Maybe there's something tree like in here? Or iron?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Tuskfang peers closely at the map.

"No, it doesn't say anything else here. We'll need to look for other clues inside."

"Just don't make too much of a mess and don't enter our room without permission. And don't bother your siblings, they're supposed to be resting."

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"I like finding things," Tuskfang offers eagerly. "And treasure-hunting! I'm good at finding things. I like to go on treasure hunts with Cern and Gwydion. Or Zabb. Or my other friends. I like playing with spirits too. Other people can't see them."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #908

"I don't think I would say you messed up anything," Geneva says thoughtfully. "I think your self image and what your mother had done to you were just two wildly different things. But then again, your self image has also changed since I met you. You see yourself as more than just a blacksmith's apprentice now."

Geneva considers the differences a few seconds longer.

"I think you're a little taller. And more... imperious, I suppose would be a good word? Like you're becoming more comfortable with the idea of being a princess."

Geneva really doesn't know anything about being a princess since she isn't one.

Though...

Maybe if she could manage to wake up a certain friend of hers she could get some princess advice.

That can be difficult to do at times.

[Sing With Me]

"I see. I have never encountered such a thing. Is this ability common among humans?" Choir asks. What a fascinating concept. Maybe humans aren't as alone as she thought they were?

At the explanation of shape shifting Choir just... watches. Will the one called Natalie display this ability? Choir does not know. Perhaps it will not.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet looks at Geneva, a little confused. "You're, uh, saying I look like I'm supposed to... But I look different than I was trying?" That seems about right. She was trying to go back to her appearance before Sapphira messed with it. But she ended up somewhere else. "I guess that's good." She examines herself through Ellie's eyes. "I, uh, do look good, I guess. But, uh, I'm not sure I want to be a princess. That would mean, uh, doing things with my mother's, uh, kingdom."

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #910
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"That's hard to say. Where I come from, it could be, but it's hard to find out about it. I don't have the ability to take a shape to turn into, so something needs to change me by force first. Lots of people could have the power and not know about it. I only know about it because I ate a cursed banana and then after it wore off later got into a stressful situation." As I recall, she had to evacuate GLoG with the others in an apocalypse event, but I can't quite recall. I remember the cursed banana better.

Natalie does demonstrate, however, shrinking as feathers grow from her body, punching through her clothes which also disappear. A beak rips out of her face, long feathers growing from her hands and arms. Her feet twist and bend, splitting into three long toes at front and one at the back. When it's over, she's a lot smaller than she was, a small brown bird with a bright red front. She sings a little, before flying a short distance away and reversing the process and going back to human.

11. - Top - End - #911

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Jillian tips her chin up proudly and smiles. "Of course."

But there's a task at hand yet. She looks around the inside of the cabin. "Was that the only clue, Tuskfang?" She asks. They got to the cabin, but how do they find it in here? Maybe there's something tree like in here? Or iron?

Tuskfang peers closely at the map.

"No, it doesn't say anything else here. We'll need to look for other clues inside."

"Just don't make too much of a mess and don't enter our room without permission. And don't bother your siblings, they're supposed to be resting."

Lucy will almost certainly make at least a partial mess. But she will certainly give the place a thorough (and rapid) search for anything out of place!

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucy, on the other hand, is quite respectful. She she lifts a cushion, she puts it back and she makes sure to put it back. When she looks under something she leans over rather than throwing herself to the ground. When she opens a cupboard or drawer it's certainly closed again.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"I like finding things," Tuskfang offers eagerly. "And treasure-hunting! I'm good at finding things. I like to go on treasure hunts with Cern and Gwydion. Or Zabb. Or my other friends. I like playing with spirits too. Other people can't see them."
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"Finding things is fun!" Zara agrees, nodding just as eagerly and exhuding kid-like energy. Tuskfang might feel like this is an 'adult' that understands childlike wonder. "Hmm... how can we make it fun... it can be a reward for learning! Zara can even make it so that part of Tusky's treasures will contain a lesson! That'll make learning fun, yes?" What's not to like?

The twins aren't neglected, however! "And what do Bal and Mal like? Running, I suppose! Hey kids, want to fly?" She gets up and lifts them high up, moving around like an aeroplane, something sure to get some giggles from the twins!

Hopefully, Tuskfang doesn't decide he wants in on the action.
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #914

"Would it?" Geneva asks, quirking her head to one side a little. "A princess is what you are, right? You'll be a princess no matter what you do. And what you do with it is up to you."

Very true.

You can be whatever sort of princess you want to be, Sekhmet!

Even if that's just a princess who does blacksmith things.

Which is a totally fine sort of princess.

[Sing With Me]

Strange.

Very strange.

Choir does not understand this.

How could such a thing be possible? How does the one called Natalie grow so small?

"Where does the rest of you go?" Choir asks, puzzled.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet reaches down to scratch one of the griff-cubs. "But, uh, a princess has a kingdom. And she has to be part of it. I, uh, don't want that. I just want to stay here, uh, with Prumathe, and keep learning magic and smithing, and maybe have some kids and not worry about my mother." Sekhmet doesn't want to run a hell kingdom. She just wants a normal life.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang's tail wags.

"Finding lessons in treasure? That sounds fun. But it takes a while to find treasure. So it'll be slow."

The twins stare at Zara with wide eyes.

"You can fly?"

"Are you a bird?"

Their reaction changes when she lifts them up, and they giggle loudly as they're carried.

"We're flying!" Balthuk squeaks.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-03-10 at 09:44 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Orc in the Playground

Sing With Me

"I don't know. I'm not sure anyone does, really." Given latent shapeshifters like Natalie are rare, it's hard to find one to study, especially if they aren't feeling cooperative. "I'm still me, too. The smaller brain doesn't affect who I am, or what I know. So long as I don't think about how I'm flying." That's something Natalie has to trust her body to do.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Moonwell

Well, that exchange easily answered all of Pathfinder's questions. Or most of them at the very least. "Mead, not wine. Fermented honey instead of fruit." He clarifies. Perhaps this was neither the time nor place to explain it, but given that he was proud of its quality, he wasn't going to have people snub his hard work. "I don't know about what the others plan, but I myself would prefer to talk this over before any violence happens." He gives a broad toothfilled smile, whom at least Sophie will recognize as a very clear threat from Wolfen in general given he's showing his fangs. To others it might just look mirthful however. "I find imps somewhat darling, so I truly don't wish to damage or disturb them overly much, but we can't really let you have this place either. Not without particularly good reason. My given name is Pathfinder, and as it implies, I search for routes all may take to their destinations. Let us find one."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Moonwell

"Now, properly speakin' Sophie and I live here, so we ain't here as adventurers in any capacity. I guess Anika might. But point is, we're walking around in our yards, not goin' after anyone." Domhnall squints at the tools the imps are using. Considering the only things he's wearing are a small bag and a sword-belt he probably can't fault them for making some wrong opinions.
    "But either way we ain't here to start smacking around...uh...cartographers?" he hazards a guess at the purpose of their tools.
    [Moonwell]

"I'm a therapist, not an adventurer, thank you very much. I'm simply concerned with the safety of my workplace and the people who live there." Sophie sounds very offended about the assumption made by the imp. Her righteous indignation is intense enough the imp might feel embarrassed and put off, in spite of all better judgment. "We have no use for this well, but we won't let anyone exploit it for dangerous purposes. Can you prove what your intentions are?"
    [Moonwell]

"Uh, yeah boss, can you?" One of the imps asks his robed employer on the screen.
    Said employer narrows his eyes but seems to hesitate at so many protests, especially Sophie's.

Sophie might have a harder time than usual telling what the imps are feeling as they don't exactly have the features of humanoids they are familiar with. But the demons in the hardhats appear ready to just leave, having little intention to fight or even wanting to get on the bad side of all these very tall people.

Their boss on the other hand seem determined to her. He wants this 'moon well' for his own purposes and isn't ready to give it up without a fight. Or at least an argument. It seems to her that he knows that the imps can't fight them, that much is obvious. But he seems to have other options up his sleeve. Either he's simply considering a good counter point or he's actually considering something that possibly could chase them away. Either way, their presence doesn't seem to be a complete surprise to him so he might have known that GloG was nearby when he started this project of his. Whatever it is.

"Ha! You guys are so pathetic that we don't need to kill you. Just give you a good thrashing and throw you out of here!" Anika is likely not helping in the diplomacy department though.

"This is-" The imp boss starts when Anika turns to the others and starts talking over him. "Unless you guys have one of those little cute baby-jails we could throw them in? I mean, you got a lot of kids hanging out here, right?"

"IF I MAY!" The boss repeats loudly as to not be interrupted by some overgrown elf again. "Maybe you're not adventurers, but you sure look like the part. Carrying around weapons like that." He gestures towards Sophie's shotgun, but as he's two-dimensional it's hard to tell exactly where he's gesturing.

"But let me explain our intentions then..." He pauses dramatically and taps his claws against one another. "We are planning to research the well and... give you whatever research we find." A hesitant pause, Sophie able to tell that he's trying to gauge their reactions to what he's saying.

"I imagine that this could be spa or... ah, perhaps a bar with that wine of yours... or why not both? The waters of this well have a lot of beneficial properties so I'd be a shame to let them go to waste. Being so close to an organization actually works in our favor here." The robed imp leans forward, suddenly smiling. "Don't misunderstand my intentions though. I'm no crass capitalist." The very word seem to fill the imp with disgust to Sophie, though the others might also gauge this.

"No, I am doing this for the benefit of my people and perhaps yours too. Like your organization I'm asking for no compensation for what I'm doing as I happen to be a part of a post-capitalist society." The way he carries and gestures towards himself suggests to Sophie he's not only proud over this fact but that it makes him feel superior as he apparently doesn't use money.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-03-10 at 05:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell]

How odd. Sophie has heard many such lofty claims for people who would sell their own mothers for a quick bit of cash. And yet, this one seems sincere? Neither the imps' non-human nature nor their boss' appearance on a screen seem to slow her down considerably.

"Why haven't you come to us first? It would have been better than meeting like this. It's not like our campsite is easy to miss. And you're not nearly as surprised to see us as you would be if you had been entirely unaware."

As the trio ransack the cabin, more or less discreetly, they will find the final clue in a rather unlikely place. Should Lucy or Jillian open the refrigerator, they will see a note stuck on the door:

Uncle Pathfinder's chair.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?"
    Pathfinder asks, his grin fading down to an easy smile. He had to choke back a snicker and laughter at Anika's quips lest he come across as entirely unprofessional, but if anyone can read Wolfen expressions it was plain to see his amusement regardless. "And just because you aren't asking for compensation doesn't mean you or your workers wouldn't appreciate it should we come to some sort of agreement here, I imagine." The shaman points out, reaching up to scratch his jaw in thought. "It would only be neighborly after all." As he talks, his shadow pulls away from him and heads back towards their gear closer to the shore.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

Domhnall looks around, frowning. He's not sure what some of these words mean.
    "We had our weapons because there was a demon dog and his weird boss sniffing around here not twenty minutes ago. What are ya gonna do if they come back trying to take stuff from you? You wee folk don't seem like you'd be good taking one'a those dog-drones in a brawl."
    This may not actually be relevant to the conversation but he does feel like it's a reasonable question.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

22. - Top - End - #922
    Bugbear in the Playground

Moonwell

The boss imp raises his claw. "We would have come to you... eventually. I mean, I just heard about this place even existing so I sent some of these workers to check things out. Coming to you might not even have become relevant at all if it turned out the whole thing was a bust." He first explains, though Sophie can tell that he seems to be eyeing Domhnall thoguhtfully, as if considering his reply to him especially carefully.

But before he has a chance to continue, Anika interrupts again. "Whoa, whoa, I think they'd need my permission too if they're gonna turn this sacred well into some... swimming pool." She gestures at the imps in the hard hats dismissively. "Besides, isn't it obvious that with the same demon that came here earlier? From who else could they have heard about this well, huh? I still say we throw them all in baby-jail."

Sophie can tell that something suddenly seems to occur to the boss imp as Anika talks.
    "Oh, that is true. But we moved in to avoid some stupid conflict. I said that me and my boys-"

"Gal!" One of the other imps insists with a tiny raised claw.

"...it can be gender neutral." He gives the speaking imp an annoyed look before continuing. "...that we could take care of it. Just check things out, talk to the inhabitants. Bargining." The imp boss looks pointedly in Pathfinders direction as he mentions this. "We could probably run this whole place for you if you like and the workers can take whatever gifts you give them as a sort of payment." He then gestures at Anika. "We could even work with miss purple over there considering her... concerns."

23. - Top - End - #923

[Ironoak Cabin - Scavenger Hunt!]

Lucy is almost certainly the first one to find the note then, leaving the fridge hanging open as she turns to squeak at her friends. "Jillian! Tuskfang! Look here!" She won't go running off to the chair herself, instead offering it to the first one of them that comes over.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Jillian comes along first because posting order because someone has to close the fridge door after Lucy. "Uncle Pathfinder? Is that your uncle, Tuskfang?"

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

"No, he's my dad!" Tuskfang's tail wags. "He's Brinika and Cheasadh's uncle. Because their mom's my mom's sister. Dad has a chair that's too big for everyone else. Come on!"

The young woblin will lead the two girls back to the sitting room, where they will be quickly able to find a small cardboard box, hidden behind a large armchair. The box is labelled "treasure" and bears another drawing of the two diminutive pirates.

[Moonwell]

"You would have come to us eventually, yes." Sophie's voice takes on a slightly sharper tone. She's not angry, just impatient... but she's getting there. The imps' boss might feel embarrassed and pushed to justify himself, against all better judgement. Sophie seems and sounds in all ways like someone who has every right to be disappointed and upset with the situation. "Better to ask forgiveness than permission, is that right? And by the time you were done, we wouldn't be able to do anything. Can you tell us how exactly you found out about this well?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-03-16 at 05:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

Tuskfang's tail wags.

"Finding lessons in treasure? That sounds fun. But it takes a while to find treasure. So it'll be slow."

The twins stare at Zara with wide eyes.

"You can fly?"

"Are you a bird?"

Their reaction changes when she lifts them up, and they giggle loudly as they're carried.

"We're flying!" Balthuk squeaks.
    [Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

"Well, let's try it once and see. If it's too slow, then Zara'll change it on the fly so it's fast! Zara can improvise, you know?" She says with her trademark big grin.

When the kids stare at her and ask if she's a bird, she merely responds with a teasing "Maaaaybe..." and lifts them up. She giggles along with them, zooming around the space. "Wheeee!" She squeaks along with them, making sure to hold them so they won't slip out of her grasp.

Soon she 'lands' them on the couch, giggling at them. "Now Bal and Mal are birds!" She turns to Tuskfang. "Zara thinks maybe sometimes Zabb has carried Tusky flying? Or will Tusky's mother not allow it?"

((Just like that, new scene idea.))
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Zara]

The kids seem a little disappointed to no longer be "flying", but they're distracted easily enough.

"Birds! Chirp chirp!" Maltrika's imitation of bird sounds is energetic but the realism leaves something to be desired. Tuskfang, meanwhile, seems deep in thought.

"He made a cloud once and we flew on it," he says. "It was fun. But he hasn't picked me up to fly. Mom doesn't like flying. Brinika says it's because she's a goblin." He seems to belatedly remember the actual topic of the conversation. "But we can try learning and treasure-hunting. Maybe it'll be fun."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-03-16 at 06:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928

[Ironoak Cabin]

"We got it!" Lucy throws her little fists up. "Darn, they're pretty good at this huh? Maybe they really should grow up and be pirates."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

Pathfinder isn't too bothered by the tensions in the air or subtle threats as he scratches at the bandages on his left paw in thought. By all impressions, things didn't seem too bad. Even so, it was better to be somewhat cautious and he kneels down, holding out his hand towards the ground. A moment later, a ghostly weasel pokes its head out of the ground, sniffs the offered hand, and then scampers off leaving a fading trail of spirit whenever it moves as it scampers to go search the rest of the area. "Pardon me for the potential offense, but I do want to check to make sure there isn't anyone waiting around to ambush us. I am sure you understand, given that many of us have lived as adventurers long enough to reach adulthood. But niceties aside, I would like to place our proverbial cards on the table. Given recent events in other parts of this realm, we are particularly cautious about potential manipulation of the spiritual energies around here. What guarantees and assurances can you provide us?"

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwell

Despite everything being discussed, Dom seems content to let the other two raise their points on their own. Though he does seem bothered by at least one thing.
    "You didn't really answer my question..." he grumbles.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]