New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Walk Around the Lake

Sekhmet's breathing slows. Her panicked facial expressions and the lashing of her tail slowly fade. She psychically latches on to Geneva for support. Her thoughts are jumbled still. It's clear that whatever a 'quisition is, it's something from her own world, something that she assumed was also present here. Something which terrifies her. "You, uh, you don't?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Lakeside Walk]

And Geneva will be there to hold Sekhmet up when she's falling.

That's nothing new.

Geneva doesn't mind.

"I don't," she confirms.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Default Walk Around the Lake

"You don't?" Sekhmet still can't believe it. "You don't?" Suddenly, she's trying to hug Geneva, practically jumping up and down for joy. "That's wonderful! Thank you so much!" It's one of many worries off her back. "But then, uh, how do you deal with fiendish cults and such?"

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Woods

”Yeah, but there’s no one to train me. I took the job helping the kids because I didn’t really have any place to go, let alone mystic teachers.”
    He blinks.
    ”Oh, the demon guy was convinced you’d been using it. That’s fine. It would probably require drinking a lot of it or swimmin’ in it, and I don’t think my posterior would fit in it, huh?” he says with a grin.
    ”Kinda want to know what sittin in pure magic feels like though. Think it’s really tingly?” It’s probably really tingly.
    Woods

"No teachers either? Man, this place sucks. Reminds me of my home village really. Nothing there but snow and sabers." She eyes the well. "Uhh... look dude, you could always try if you want to? I mean, I bathed in it a couple of times and I'm fine. I do think you need to drink it or something and honestly if you got this bad luck you might as well try, right? As long as you leave it alone afterwards."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

[Woods]

Domhnall gives the elf a conspiratorial smile.
    ”You’re not supposed to use it but you’ve been bathing in it? Breaking the rules.” He trots over to the well.
    ”Well, I live here so if those demons come back I’m going to end up having to do guard duty. Might as well get some perks out of it.” He cups his hand and takes a swig. He wonders if it’ll taste fizzy?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

The League's resident therapist can be seen here, in a rather different setting than most people associate her with. She's lounging on a chair, wearing a swimsuit and reading a book. It appears she's on a break or finished for today and is using GLoG's lake and the warm weather to relax.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara wanders in here, sitting down and looking at the water, deep in thought. Now that she has her memories back, she's reminiscing on the good times she had assassinating people for the facility she was stationed at. She was one of the better 'killdren', ranked among the best, even. Where would she be now had she not been rendered amnesiac and dumped in the Nexus by a rogue portal?

She decides to look around and enjoy the scenery, and that's when she notices Sophie here in a swimsuit. With her perpetual smile still on her face, she approaches the woman and curtsies. Couldn't hurt to greet her, after all. "Good evening, Miss Sophie."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Sophie looks up from her book at Zara. She has seen the young woman around the campsite helping with the daycare facilities. She takes off her sunglasses to look at her and nods.

"Hello, Zara. You seem pensive."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

"Just reminiscing about the past, and thinking of the future. Shalom, I hope you are well." Zara keeps silent for a few moments, before making a decision. She'd just been thinking about whether to reveal her past to anyone in her close circle. Svetlana got it out of her earlier in the day after figuring out her cryptic hints, and she readily told Tethrik because the demon was neither GLoG nor a Raptor Islander... but Sophie's a therapist, and there's such a thing as patient-doctor confidentiality...

"You are a therapist, correct? Can I trust that what I'm about to reveal remains between the both of us for the time being?" She asks, sitting down on the ground beside Sophie. Like usual, she's always smiling, but unlike usual, there's a different look in her dreamy green eyes.
    Love is the message.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Sophie takes a look at Zara as she reaches a decision. She generally prefers to keep her therapy to appointed times, knowing well she has a tendency to push herself past her limits to help people. But Zara is clearly going through something important right now, so she has to listen.

"Of course. Anything you say to me now will stay between us," she assures her.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

"Alright, then. I'll begin."

Get ready, Sophie. This is one broken tykebomb.

Zara takes a deep breath, and stares forward as she speaks, looking at the surface of the water. "As I told everyone when I came, my past is of me being in an orphanage, until a fire happened. I tried to escape, and ended up here. Today, I remember differently, it turns out those memories were incomplete."

She turns to Sophie, her smile growing wider. "In fact, I was a child assassin. 'The Smiling Killdren', we were nicknamed. Let me start from the beginning." She turns back to look at the sea, and she looks like she's reminiscing some good memories. "I grew up in the orphanage, we were trained to kill. We went on missions as young as seven. They treated us well, better if we did a good job. Training, mental conditioning sessions, regular injections of 'medicine'... we were 'the last thing you never see'. Ah, good times." Which is messed up, but the fact that Zara looks at it fondly just shows how much the 'treatment' did a number on her psyche.

She continues. "I'd have graduated by now, working as an assassin for the highest bidder, no doubt. When I was ten, though, I was sent on a mission, and I succeeded. Usually, I'd arrange little accidents, but I needed to be close to him to do him in... but he rigged it so that the house would go up in flames if he died. Trying to escape, a beam hit me on the head. I managed to escape through a portal that put me here instead, and forgot most of these things until this morning." She goes silent for a while. "I always wondered why I was so good at fighting and sneaking. Why death didn't faze me, why I could never stop smiling, why enough pain made me giggle. I've been training in the hopes of being an adventurer one day, so I still have my skills. Now, though... I'm just processing it all." Then she shrugs.
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Sophie is used to being told all kinds of things. She's seen many kinds of trauma and misfortune in her career. Here in the Nexus, there's a much greater variety of it. But still, Zara's story is something she has to take in for a moment. Instead of making her opinion known, she decides to ask what isn't quite a question - more along the lines of a prompt for Zara.

"It is a lot to process. It seems that after you forgot you were an assassin, your first choice wasn't to pursue that kind of life."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

What does that have to do with anything? She thinks on it for a short while before realizing. "Ah, a leading statement." Zara recognizes it for what it is. "I'll bite. It certainly seems that way on first glance, doesn't it? The more you know about me, the more you realize it's not quite so simple."

"I learnt quite a bit the past six years, for instance that I have a natural talent in drawing. I was trained to have a high level of situational awareness, and it helps. I'm here, working in GLoG because it turns out I'm good with children, but even back then I had younger ones that looked up to me. However..." She turns to smile at Sophie some more. "Did you know I also want to be an adventurer? There's combat training in my current orphanage for trainee adventurers, monster hunters and police, much like I'm told there is, back home. Training starts at age 10. I joined in and was obviously better at it. I've helped to kill monsters, too, and I always liked killing things." She turns back to look at the sea. "My desire to help people with my skills by being an adventurer is real... but to be totally honest... I also want a legitimate way to kill things for pay."

She pauses in silence, but obviously has more to say. "As for killing people, I won't go around doing it, only because I have no reason to." Not because of any moral reasons. "Well, not unless they deserve it. Maybe they're hurting children. I won't stand for anyone that hurts children." Why doesn't she count those in the past as having hurt her? Well, because they didn't beat her or anything. "I probably sound like a bad person." She finishes with a shrug.
    Love is the message.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Woods]

Domhnall gives the elf a conspiratorial smile.
    ”You’re not supposed to use it but you’ve been bathing in it? Breaking the rules.” He trots over to the well.
    ”Well, I live here so if those demons come back I’m going to end up having to do guard duty. Might as well get some perks out of it.” He cups his hand and takes a swig. He wonders if it’ll taste fizzy?
    [Woods]

"Hey, it was a special case and I'm the only one defending multiple of these." Anika claims with a gesture at the well as she follows Domhnall over to the well.
    "Oh that's cool-" The druid gasps and her eyes widens as she sees Domhnall putting his cupped hand in the well.

The water, well, it's not exactly water. While it feels cool to the touch as one would expect water would, it's almost as if it's also boiling at the same time. As if its liquid is constantly vibrating despite looking so peaceful on the surface.

Anika isn't stopping him even if she looks rather amazed at what he just did. "Dude, hardcore. I'd never do that!" She exclaims, though looks more impressed than fearful of his action.

Speaking of which, the liquid is not unpleasant to drink but carry with it that foreboding boiling sensation down his throat. Nothing happens right away at first besides an odd sensation of being fulfilled.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Woods

Domhnall looks confused.
    "Oh, did you mean sitting in it when you said to try it? I guess I didn't get what you meant. Does something happen? Why wouldn't you?" Oh, dear. Is something bad going to happen? He was just so curious!
    "I mean...I feel fine. Pretty good, actually."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara caught on to Sophie's intentions, then. She's sharp. Instead of trying more rhetorical tricks, Sophie opts for honesty.

"No, I wouldn't say you're a bad person. But I would say that your experiences gave you a skewed view of the world and morality, through no fault of your own. I'm glad to hear you're trying to manage it safely, but reserving your killing for those that deserve it is a path I've seen others fail to walk safely."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara chuckles. Skewed from Sophie's perspective, maybe, but not hers. "Well, those people aren't me. Killing isn't what they're best at." She smiles wider, at the river. "Yes, I'm good at tending to children, at hunting monsters, at drawing." She quickly adds, just in case Sophie wants to bring that up. "That doesn't change the fact that I'm best at killing. That I like it doesn't mean I have to do it all the time. If I killed you... assuming I could, that is... I'd lose any future opportunities to speak with you, like this." How pragmatic! It also shows that she likes Sophie. Anyone that works with kids is okay in her book.

Even those that train them to kill, unfortunately... although she doesn't see it as unfortunate.

The smile falls, a little bit. "Something worries me, though... I have to tell my girlfriend. I can't not tell her. She'll probably leave me, but she needs to know the truth." She's come to like her girlfriend so much that despite the perpetual smile and the cold eyes, there's a bit of worry that leaks through. "Maybe I should break up with her, pre-emptively. It might be easier for her." She adds with a whisper. "And for me."
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

"This doesn't strike me as a very good idea," Sophie says candidly. "Once again, I speak from experience here. Denying yourself your feelings and relationships can lead you down a dark path. I had to do it once and it stayed with me for years. You're right that your girlfriend has a right to know and she'll make her choice when she does. But don't do anything rash."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara listens to Sophie's advice in silence, and doesn't react while she thinks about the pros and cons. Deciding Sophie's right, she nods twice. "You're right, Mrs Sophie... I... I hope she won't leave me. It's not very often I find someone attractive. I'll get over it if she does, but I hope it doesn't come to that."

"You can be rest assured that this new development won't hamper my work here at GLoG, with the daycare and other things. I have the skills to protect them with my life, if necessary." And if it becomes necessary, she'll relish educating her targets on the dangers of crossing her. "I suppose I should start telling those closest to me, starting with the head of my orphanage."

She suddenly turns to Sophie. "Can I sketch you while we talk?" She opens up her inventory and pulls out a sketchpad and sharpened pencil.
    Love is the message.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

"That's good to hear." Though this isn't really Sophie's concern at the moment. "Feel free to sketch while we talk, but I do have a few questions I'd like to ask. You don't see anything wrong with your desire to put your skills to use while killing, but you understand why your girlfriend might leave you over it. Could you explain a little?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara chooses a place to sit where she can get the desired view while still within speaking distance, and starts sketching Sophie. She smiles - more than usual, at least - when she hears that question, like it's not the first time she's been asked something similar.

"I've been in the Nexus for 6 years now, Mrs Sophie. Despite my memory loss, I was always a bit different from the others. I've since learnt that a lot of things I have no problem with are things that get other people upset for whatever reason. No matter how nice or good with kids you are, people tend to react negatively when certain traits of mine come to light." She looks up at Sophie for a little while, then resumes drawing. "I have no qualms about killing if necessary, but that doesn't mean my girlfriend won't."
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

This is about what Sophie expected. Time to probe a little deeper.

"So you understand and acknowledge their apprehensions, but you disagree with them," she says, as if summing up what Zara just says. "Are you prepared to face a situation where you misjudge whether something or someone needs to die?"

23. - Top - End - #143

[Lakeside Walk]

Oh hey hugs.

Hugs are pretty great.

Geneva hugs Sekhmet back and laughs.

"Cults aren't illegal here?" she guesses. "Provided they aren't doing anything illegal. Like kidnapping and murder. If they are then Intersection deals with them like they would deal with any organized criminal element."

Dispensing justice, mostly.

Super simple.

Geneva frowns a bit, then brings up another topic.

"Sekhmet when you just... walked off through the gate back at the lab I was really worried. You weren't acting under your own volition. During the synchronize I could tell you've got quite a bit of mental potential, but most of it is completely undeveloped. You have power but no way to protect yourself. I think it might be a good time to start those psionics lessons I promised. Starting with the most important lesson-"

She pounds a fist into her palm.

"Mental defense."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Walk

"Oh, uh, okay." Geneva is right. Sekhmet does need to learn how to protect her mind. She's been mind controlled what... 5 times? If you count Marlick Bay, which this Sekhmet never visited. "How do I start?"

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #145

[Lakeside Walk]

"We'll start with something really simple,"
    Geneva replies with a firm nod. "I'm going to use a harmless psychic attack on you. It'll be obvious that it worked because you'll taste raspberries all of a sudden."

As far as psychic assaults go, the taste of raspberries is probably one of the least threatening forms.

"This is a false-sensory attack. Normally these attacks can be way more insidious because they might make false sensations meant to deceive or incapacitate. I want you to focus on how you FEEL when you're under psychic attack. Once you're accustomed to the signs erecting mental defense will become a reflex. Ready?"

Geneva takes a few steps back and faces Sekhmet, reaching up to place her index and pointer finger on her own temple.

Not because that motion is needed to use her psionics, but because the visual indication that she's ABOUT to will help Sekhmet.

And then?

Sekhmet will likely feel... wobbly... briefly. Like a sense of vertigo.

Followed by the taste of raspberries.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Walk

Sekhmet feels dizzy. Then she tastes raspberries. "It, uh, worked." She isn't sure what to do now though. How does she stop herself from just feeling things, even if the things were put into her head by someone else?

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #147

[Lakeside Walk]

The taste of raspberries only lasts a few seconds and then just as quickly it's gone.

Doesn't even linger like real raspberries.

"Good," Geneva replies, taking her fingers off her head. "I want you to describe to me what you felt. In as much detail as you can."

This part is important!

You start by identifying the attack.

If you can't identify the attack then how are you ever going to defend against it?

Oh hey.

There are some nice, big, warm relatively flat rocks! Geneva opts to go sit on a boulder. It's a really nice day to sit on a boulder.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Walk

Sekhmet sits on the next boulder over. "I was, uh, dizzy. Like I had lost my balance. And then I, uh, tasted raspberries." There isn't much else to say. It is a nice day, isn't it. The weather is gorgeous, the stone is nice and warm. Sekhmet lounges against it, pouring some of her power into the rock so it becomes very warm indeed, hot enough to burn anyone else, but comfortably warn for her.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #149

[Lakeside Sit?]

Hopefully Sekhmet isn't heating up the rock Geneva is on. She wouldn't want to cook her friend.

"Everyone reacts to psychic attacks a little differently,"
    Geneva explains. "So that dizziness you felt might be how your mind is informing you that you're under attack."

Maybe.

It's something right?

"So, we're going to try this again," Geneva says, reaching up to place her fingers on her temple again. "When you feel that dizzy feeling, I want you try to reject the sensation that follows it. You already know that it isn't real. You just need to convince your brain that it isn't real, too."

Again!

Vertigo and-

Maybe the taste of raspberries?

How many tries will it take for Sekhmet to figure this out?

It's probably worth noting that Geneva is tossing her a softball here. There isn't much strength behind this psychic assault.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Of course she's not heating Geneva's rock. That would be bad.
    It takes five tries before Sekhmet can even begin to resist the raspberry taste. This seems to be a particular weakness of hers. "I got it!" She only faintly tastes raspberries this time, not completely. It's a definite improvement.

My Nexus characters