New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva's glad.

She doesn't want her butt to get set on fire.

Buttfires are, in fact, pretty high on her list of undesirable things.

"Good!" Geneva says, a genuine smile on her face. "That's some real progress. We'll keep going. Once you've completely blocked out the raspberry taste let me know, okay?"

She'll keep it up.

By the time they're done Sekhmet is probably going to be sick of raspberries.

But that's a small price to pay for improved mental fortitude.

Though... Geneva has another idea, too. One a little more radical. Ideas for how they might thwart Sapphira's plans in the event that she DOES escape. Hopefully the teleportation mobius strip trap she has mind works... But any trap is a temporary measure. They need to find something more decisive.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

"Disagree isn't the word I'd use. I just don't feel the same way." Zara listens to the question as she draws, the top half of her face frowning a little as she shrugs. "I'll never enter such a situation in the first place." She says confidently. "Hypothetically, though, if it happens, no use crying over split milk. I'll compensate their families if needed. It won't come to that, though." She shrugs again and continues drawing Sophie.

Since she's sketching on her lap, Sophie should be able to see the developing drawing from here. Zara's just as good as they say, maybe even better. Her hands move quickly over the paper, drawing a photorealistic image. She seems to enjoy what she's doing.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

"You are... very certain of that." Sophie frowns herself now. Zara's attitude is becoming even more familiar now. "I knew people who also thought they would never suffer a lapse in judgement, mistake or accident. Most of them were wrong. Some realized it, others didn't... or even refused to. And realizing it is a heavy burden to bear, trust me."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-08-09 at 04:23 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

It takes a whopping 20 more tries before Sekhmet's fully rejected the taste of raspberries. She's not even sure what she did to make it work. "Okay. Uh. Now what?" She's not sure what she should be doing at all.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #155

[Lakeside Raspberry Flavoring]

"You've just taken your first step toward improving your mental fortitude," Geneva says. "I'm really proud of you, Sekhmet, you're doing a great job."

Positive reinforcement is always helpful.

"I know this probably isn't as exciting as flying, but it's just as important."

Possibly more important, all things considered.

"Really, though, great job. Most people wouldn't be able to improve their psychic defense even if they tried a thousand times. There where a few people without any psychic potential back at my home Vault and no matter what they did they couldn't pass even the simplest manifestation tests. You just passed the level one psychic bulwark test, so you're well on your way to getting better! You have fantastic potential, you just need to learn how to harness it."

And practice makes perfect.

"Do you want to try level two?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"Okay." Sekhmet still isn't sure what's going on, and Geneva talking about levels of testing and such isn't helping. What she does know is that she needs to be able to resist if someone tries to control her again. That much is obvious. So even if she's not sure what she's doing, she'll move on to the next level.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #157

[Lakeside Sit]

Sekhmet doesn't quite understand HOW she's doing what she's doing, but she's still accomplishing it! Geneva has noticed that Sekhmet is a very 'ahha!' sort of person. She'll probably figure it out eventually, but it really isn't something that can be force. That, or she could use some mental training wheels. Problem is with purely mental activities like these Synchronize wouldn't help much to give Sekhmet the practice she needs.

"Okay. Level two. This psychic attack will have a little more oomph behind it. It'll also simulate two senses rather than just one. Now you'll taste AND smell raspberries. Let me know if it feels a little too overwhelming and we can take a break, okay?"

Sekhmet might briefly wonder how something like raspberries could be overwhelming but BOY HOWDY is that ever a good word for it when Geneva touches her head and unleashes her assault.

It was just a hint before, now it's almost overpowering.

Like...

Have you ever smelled something so strong your eyes start to water and you begin coughing?

It's like that. Raspberry bomb. Target: Sekhmet.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"Aaah!" That's pretty strong. Sekhmet fans her hand in front of her nose before realizing that the sensation is fake. She struggles to fight the attack off over the distracting odor of raspberry. Maybe Geneva notices Sekhmet's flame orb releasing sparks as she throws her effort into it. "I... Can't..."
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-08-09 at 08:45 PM.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #159

[Lakeside Sit]

Lame orb?

Geneva thinks it looks pretty neat, all things considered.

Kind of concerning that it's sparking like computer that's shorting out, though.

The psionicist really wasn't pressing the assault. Just like all the others it only lasts for a few seconds before the phantom sensation fades away.

Sekhmet will get an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, maybe I got a little too ahead of myself," Geneva sighs. "Do... you want to take a little break? Or try again? Talk about what felt different this time?"

It definitely felt different.

The sensation of vertigo was actually less pronounced. Less of a warning in addition to being far more potent.

She glances over at the lake, an idea forming in her mind. "Or maybe go for a swim? Have you ever been swimming before, Sekhmet?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"It's, uh, it's okay. I'm okay." Sekhmet says, glad not to be breathing raspberries anymore. "I didn't know it was coming and it was so strong." She breathes heavily. "I, uh, 've been to the ocean, but, uh, I don't know how to swim." She's been in the water though. Geneva has seen her, no doubt, with Prumathe, at that one party.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #161

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva glances at the lake, then back to Sekhmet again, then to the lake.

"I'm actually kind of curious now what would happen to that fire orb of yours if it got dunked under water," she muses.

Would it spark?

Bubble?

Explode?

It's a mystery!

The desire to know more intensifies.

"But... yeah. Rank C is about an order of magnitude more intense than rank D. Don't feel bad if you think it's too much for you. Even among psychics the vast majority only operate at psi rank D."

Geneva will give Sekhmet a playful nudge.

With her mind.

Since she's sitting on a different rock that isn't super-heated.

"I think you can master rank C, though. You've definitely got it in you,"
    Geneva says, rubbing her chin thoughtfully. "Your only hurdle is that you're WAY more attuned to teeker stuff than esper stuff."

A beat.

"That's jargon. Teek are psionic abilities that are directed outward. Psychic attacks, telekinesis, psychokinetic force, that sort of thing. Esp are psionic abilities that focus inward. Mind reading, mental defenses, precognition, and so on. Your potential for psionics is great, but your natural talent is mostly in manifesting your will on the world around you."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"Uh, nothing happens. It burns normally." Lots of people seem to wonder about that. "I, uh, kinda understand." There's a lot of jargon there. But Sekhmet got the gist of it. Geneva thinks she's better at attack than defense. That's kinda disturbing. She doesn't want to hurt anyone.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #163

[Lakeside Sit]

When that brief look of concern crosses Sekhmet's face Geneva is pretty sure she knows what's going on.

Not that she's reading Sekhmet's mind or anything.

She's just pretty good at reading people, her friends especially.

"Just to clarify, teek isn't just a weapon. It's about manifesting your will on the external world. It's a tool-"

Geneva raises one hand toward the lake, causing a single orb of water to bleb up into the air.

"-and like any tool what maters is what you use it for."

The blob of water is then tossed at Sekhmet's rock! With a hiss it flashes to steam, bubbling away on the stone.

"There, see? Instant sauna. With great power comes great impromptu spa-making."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet leans into the cloud of steam, relaxing. "I, uh, think I understand." Plowshares can be beaten into swords just as easily as swords can be beaten into plowshares. "I, uh, think I should start again." She steels her mind for new assaults.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #165

[Lakeside Sit]

"Coming right up," Geneva replies as she makes the motions of preparing another assault.

Peppermint.

It's peppermint this time.

So much peppermint that it could make a Thanksmas Elf gag.

So much peppermint that even Santa would think it's naughty.

Overwhelming eye stinging mouth burning tongue watering peppermint.

If Sekhmet had tried licking the ice back in hell?

It probably would have tasted like this.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

I can think of way worse things for ice to taste of. I'm sure this isn't it.
    But Sekhmet is choking on peppermint. It's burning her tongue out. She needs to get it to stop. Her face tightens as she focuses...
    And hurls sensations back at Geneva. A counterattack rather than a defense, consisting of the taste and smell of warm gingerbread. But it quickly grows cloyingly sweet, sickeningly delicious.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara stops drawing for a moment to stare at Sophie. Does she not understand, or is she choosing not to understand, that she's not like other girls? "'Most', you said, not 'all'. I've realized it, I've spent all day realizing that I was a killer. Do you know what I feel, Mrs Sophie? Absolutely nothing. If I'm honest, it was lots of fun." A playful and bloodthirsty glint in her eye appears when she says 'fun', but it soon passes. Apparently, by 'nothing', she means 'nothing negative'. "Don't worry, though! I won't kill for no reason, pinky swear!"

She starts humming a cutesy song as she keeps drawing Sophie. Only, in her drawing, Sophie's smiling rather than frowning. "You're so pretty, Mrs Sophie." She compliments with a giggle.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-08-10 at 01:29 PM.
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Sophie is liking this conversation less and less. This is worse than she thought... Zara's moral compass is clearly out of sync, possibly irrevocably. Did her upbringing remove any inhibition towards killing? Can it even be fixed? There's a brief temptation to make Zara's promise into a binding oath with her power. She could even do it without Zara noticing... but no, she won't. That would be abusing it. The temptation is always there...

"Thank you, Zara. I'm glad you won't kill for no reason. But I do worry about what your chosen reasons might be. I knew a man who hunted vampires, and eventually his acceptable reason for killing someone was simply standing between him and a vampire."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #169

[Lakeside Sit]

Probably true.

Menthol and capsicum at the same time is probably what hellfire tastes like.

Anywho!

Sekhmet counter-attacks!

Geneva wasn't exactly expecting that. Counter-attacks usually aren't how these tests go. However! She's also pretty adept at defense. Really, her teek and esp are quite well balanced! Given that she has a lot of practice with this stuff, deflecting the psychic counter-attack isn't terribly taxing.

That does get her to end her own assault, though.

With a laugh!

"Hahaha*snort*, points being creative!" she giggles. "But mind-punching back at the test administrator doesn't count as passing."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"Sorry! I, uh, panicked." Sekhmet seems a little embarrassed
    "It, uh, came more naturally than pushing you out." She shakes her head. "I'm still not sure how to, uh, do that. To keep you out."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara stops drawing and extends her hands with her stretchy powers so her thumbs are on Sophie's cheeks, and if the woman doesn't recoil, try and turn her frown into a smile. "Don't worry, Mrs Sophie, be happy! Besides, I like your smile, it's good to smile!" Look at her! She's always smiling.

Whether she succeeds or not, she returns her hands back to normal. "If I ever hunted vampires, why would I kill someone in the way, when there are other ways? Like letting them go, following them and arranging an accident so it's not traced back to me. I'll even prevent collateral damage, such as the person standing in my way."

She continues to draw, adding finishing touches. "If there is no other way, I'd simply pacify the person standing between me and my target. They'd be out for some hours, but eventually will wake up with a headache, well out of my way. See? Nothing to worry about!"
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #172

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva almost wonders if that weak defense of Sekhmet's is an intentional flaw to make it easier for her mother to control her.

Or maybe she's just an absolute glass cannon by nature? Geneva really doesn't have enough experience with people from Sekhmet's world to make any sound assessment.

"I usually think of it as rejecting sensations and thoughts that I know are false. They aren't mine. They're being imposed on me. Once that's acknowledged then it's a matter of mustering the psychic discipline to reject them," Geneva explains. "They're lies, sort of. And by meditating on the truth you're free of them. One technique that really helps with mental defense is called Amnesia. You clear your mind of thoughts, that way when thoughts DO enter your mind you can instantly recognize and guard against them."

Geneva is talking about pokemon moves here.

She's got quite a range of them to draw from, many involving bolstering herself and passing that resilience to her friends.

"I don't think you would be able to use that exact technique since you aren't a pokemon, but with a little bit of practice I think you could probably accomplish something functionally similar."

Practice practice practice seems to be the name of the game.

"Though... I do have another idea. Something to help in case we're expecting to have to confront your mother,"
    Geneva says. "If we have advanced warning I could Synchronize us again. That way she isn't just dealing with you. She's dealing with me, too."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

The mention of fighting Sapphira and synchronizing sends a wave of fear across Sekhmet's face. Downcast, she mutters under her breath. "It won't help." Even the idea of meeting her mother again terrifies her. She doesn't want to think about fighting her.
    Geneva may recall how chaotic Sekhmet's mind was from when they last synchronized. She has so many thoughts swirling around in there, it would be hard for her to clear her mind of them. "I, uh, guess I can try that." Thinking of nothing, she means.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Sophie will gently ward off Zara's hand when she reaches out. Seems she has to put up some boundaries.

"I'm afraid I'm a professional worrier," she jokes. "But it seems you're on top of things here. I can't say I'm not concerned, but you seem to be approaching it responsibly."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara pouts when her hands are warded off. It looks weird, what with her inability to not smile, but the momentary disappointed look in her eyes makes up for any inability to tell what she's supposed to be doing with her lips.

"Oy, with the worrying already!" Sophie may be a profesional worrier, but Zara aims to brighten her mood! Once one looks past her irreparably broken moral compass, she's a pretty enthusiastic girl, and she's hoping that enthusiasm would rub off on Sophie. "Oh, look, I'm done! Isn't is so pretty?" She shows her drawing to Sophie.

It's like looking into a mirror that shows one's image in pencil sketch form.

"Thank you, Mrs Sophie, it felt nice to talk about it. I'll do my best to keep on top of things, that you can be sure of! Let's hug!" Then she remembers Sophie warding off her hands. "Can we hug?"
    Love is the message.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

"That's a very good sketch, Zara, I'm impressed." Sophie does mean it, of course. "And you can hug me if you want."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

[Beach]

Zara doesn't let her finish that sentence! Once she's told she can hug Sophie, those hands stretch forth to wrap Sophie in a big, hug, both arms wrapping around her several times! "Mmm... comfy." Then, more seriously, she adds: "Thank you for listening. I know you're worried, and you probably think there's something wrong with me - you wouldn't be the first - but I can see why you're the therapist. You're a good listener."

After a bit too long, once Sophie gets uncomfortable, she'll pick up on that fact and let go. "Maybe I'll bring Abi here, once I've told her. You could give us relationship advice... you could even give me some now. It's my first relationship ever!"
    Love is the message.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Woods

Domhnall looks confused.
    "Oh, did you mean sitting in it when you said to try it? I guess I didn't get what you meant. Does something happen? Why wouldn't you?" Oh, dear. Is something bad going to happen? He was just so curious!
    "I mean...I feel fine. Pretty good, actually."
    Woods

"I was just joshing with you, like a dare really. Didn't think you'd actually do it!" Anika sounds perhaps a tad hesitant. "But I heard it just heals wounds and restores energy so you should be fine. I mean, its not like I'd do that if it could hurt you." An awkward chuckle. "And maybe it was also a bit that I thought you'd just sit down in it."

Domhnall will feel more than just good though. It feels like the waters energies is coursing through his entire body now. Everything around him seems brighter and he feels as if he's suddenly more in control of his actions. Each movement he makes feeling more concise and precise while inside its as if his body became more efficient. Suddenly imbued with the knowledge how to make him work better.

This includes his magic which as its connected to his body also becomes more efficient as the strange energy works through him. Like his body now being able to more efficiently direct energy where its needed, so will his magic energy be easier to call upon and in even greater amounts.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-08-11 at 06:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

[Woods]

”Yeah, but if it was deep you’d never get me out again! We’re not shaped great for sitting in little circular holes.” Domhnall grins and leans his posterior over the edge of the well for demonstration.
    ”But it’s fine. I feel fine. Great, even. But you said not to use it more than once so that’s what I’ll do. Don’t want to get addicted to it or anything. But um. What now? Are you going to need help protecting the place? I don’t know what I’ll do. I feel like...all sparky you know? But I really don’t know much about magic anyway so it’s probably lost on me.” But he does feel very good at being himself. That’s for sure, as strange as it is to say.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

A lack of sense for boundaries is to be expected, Sophie supposes. Maybe she can help Zara with that in time...

"I could. I am a married woman now, so I suppose that counts for something," she jokes. "Do you need help with anything in particular?"