New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 93: Something something something babies

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Woods]

”Yeah, but if it was deep you’d never get me out again! We’re not shaped great for sitting in little circular holes.” Domhnall grins and leans his posterior over the edge of the well for demonstration.
    ”But it’s fine. I feel fine. Great, even. But you said not to use it more than once so that’s what I’ll do. Don’t want to get addicted to it or anything. But um. What now? Are you going to need help protecting the place? I don’t know what I’ll do. I feel like...all sparky you know? But I really don’t know much about magic anyway so it’s probably lost on me.” But he does feel very good at being himself. That’s for sure, as strange as it is to say.
    [Woods]

Anika scratches her head. "Oh, that makes sense." Huh, so maybe that's why those keepers never entered the wells they were keeping?

But thinking of which...
    The druid smiles back. "Good question, but here's another one. So you live around here right, dude? And you're a... uh." She glances at Domhnall's butt. "Horseperson? Since you kinda remind me of the stag people who protect these places. I wonder if that's connected somehow. Not that I'm saying that you ought to or anything. Just found it interesting. You're the first person like that I've seen since coming to the nexus, see? Myself, I kinda work at VIGIL so I can't really stay around for long. I'm just patrolling around making sure bad people aren't using them for evil stuff."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

The cabin seems unoccupied right now. The lights are off, the curtains drawn, and everything seems still. Wait. Not entirely. One window, by the front porch, is open, and the drape behind it blows gently in the breeze. Other than that, everything really is still.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

[Woods]

Domhnall grins, turning so she can get a better look at his lower half.
    "You're allowed to look." he teases. He brightens very visibly when she mentions stag-people.
    "You know Rhea's people?! I-oh." Not since entering the Nexus. "Okay." he mumbles as his expression falls.
    "But yeah, I do live around here. And I'm an Ebeul. Centaurs are horses. And back home they're pretty nasty. But back home." There's nicer ones here.
    "Was that the question? I mean, I do live here. I can keep an eye on it. I can't have demons threatening the kids or anything." That would probably be bad for the kiddos.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

Yellow is shock/fear. "I think grey is sad." She smiles a little as her cheek is cupped. "I know, hun. It's just... A big shock, and I need to figure out how I feel about it, and you." She'll lean over to peck Zara's cheek before wandering off, a short distance, and sitting on a rock and staring at the sky. Occasionally she waves a hand, and it leaves a trail of colour behind it- not a rainbow, but solid grey, pink, or blue. Once, black.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

Zara nods and lets her go, doing her own staring at the water. She's hoping for the best, while also preparing for the worst.

Just in case, she takes out her sketchpad and starts sketching Abi.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

Abi will be gone for quite a while. Zara could probably finish the sketch before she comes back. There's quite a lot of thinking to be done.

She does come back, however. "I... still think you're really pretty, Zara. And... And you've told me, and not hidden it, so you've demonstrated trustability. You are the same person. Yes, Zara, I'll still have you." She smiles, slightly. "So that means swimming. I've got the one from the beach party; where can I go get changed?" Her smile's wider, a little forced, and the grey of her eyes are fading to blue and purple in places, where it's mixing with pink.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

[Lake Beach]

Zara's done and staring at the sketch. It's a simple, stylized one of she and Abi hugging. She looks back at Abi, being really good at not letting her emotions show... though when Abi decides she'd still have her, she lets go of a breath she didn't realize she was holding.

"That's a relief... thank you for still having me." She stands up and gives Abi a hug. After one last squeeze, she lets go and shows her new work off. "I drew this, just in case! So, I have mine back at the cabin, we can go change there! Uri should be at the daycare, and Zabb should be with his friends, so we'll have privacy." Meaning Abi won't have to worry about anyone seeing them as they get changed.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hawthorn Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The cabin seems unoccupied right now. The lights are off, the curtains drawn, and everything seems still. Wait. Not entirely. One window, by the front porch, is open, and the drape behind it blows gently in the breeze. Other than that, everything really is still.
    [Hawthorn Cabin]

Lucy takes Russell's hand and they near and they first look around the front door. Russell gets on his hands and knees to try to look under the door while Lucy scopes out a bit further.

"Russell." She hisses. The boy comes over and she points up at the open window. "I can boost you and you look inside."

With a bit of positioning and effort, Lucy boosts Russell up so he can peak into the window.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

The cabin is dim, lit only by what sunlight filters in from outside. It seems fairly normal. Wood flooring, a fireplace off to the left, some comfy chairs and simple tables, a bookshelf. This is the common room. There's a small hallway at its back that leads to the four bedrooms and the bathroom, and a door to the right going to a small kitchen. It seems quiet. Probably no one is home. Probably.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Russell looks around for a moment, but his sister prods before long. "Whatcha see?" He doesn't respond for a moment, or at all, because all of a sudden he hefts himself up onto the windowsill. "Russell!" Her voices rises shrilly, but only slightly. She's still gotta be quiet.

Without heeding his sister, Russel turns around and carefully lowers himself into the cabin. He stands there for a moment, still and silent, senses peaked.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Russel jumps into the cabin. The board beneath his feet gives a surprising creak. He should probably move carefully. These floorboards are a bit noisy. On a closer look, a few odd things become more evident. There are a few deep gashes in the floor, which must have been made by some sharp object. The books are a mix of aging tomes and cheap, trashy romance novels. One is sitting folded over the arm of a recliner, a heavy volume with yellowed pages and a cover of green leather. The door to one of the bedrooms, the one furthest to the left, is slightly ajar. Was there a glimpse of an eye through the crack, just for a second?

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Lake Beach

Abi hugs back, and grins as they go off to get changed. She's not too worried about privacy- if nothing else, they can always change in a bathroom. It's not like she's not expecting to be seen in her swimwear in the time between the cabin and the beach.

She's changing into the green bikini that matches her hair, the one she bought with Zara.

13. - Top - End - #223

Default Re: [Andy's Cabin]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Spike rings the doorbell. They wait. No one answers.
    They knock. They wait. Oh there he is!
    "Hi!" We've got a mutual acquaintance who wants to talk to you, but is really nervous. So would you mind if I asked you a few questions for them?" There's something very slightly off about their voice, like you hear it a few milliseconds before you ought to. It's probably nothing to worry about.
    Andy seems a bit worries by the delay of the voice. I mean door people are scary, but a delay like that is creepy. A shiver runs down his spine as he thinks about it.

"Acquaintance?" he asks confused, taking a step at the door so he can take a better look. His eyes start searching for more signs to clear this odd behavior. His left eye is mechanical so he runs some scans with it. Those scans are mostly visual based like heat. It also might surpass illusions that alter peoples minds. "Maybe you start telling me the reason you were send here? It should make this all easier."
    Last edited by Zefir; 2020-08-27 at 12:55 PM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Russel jumps into the cabin. The board beneath his feet gives a surprising creak. He should probably move carefully. These floorboards are a bit noisy. On a closer look, a few odd things become more evident. There are a few deep gashes in the floor, which must have been made by some sharp object. The books are a mix of aging tomes and cheap, trashy romance novels. One is sitting folded over the arm of a recliner, a heavy volume with yellowed pages and a cover of green leather. The door to one of the bedrooms, the one furthest to the left, is slightly ajar. Was there a glimpse of an eye through the crack, just for a second?
    [Hawthorn Cabin]

Russell stares at the door for a long moment. He thought he saw something for sure. After a short bit of ignoring his sister's warning hisses through the window, he goes over to the front door and tries to open it from the inside.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

The door can easily be unlocked and opened from inside. After all, no one ever expects someone to break out of a house. The two children can be reunited!

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Andy's Cabin]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Andy seems a bit worries by the delay of the voice. I mean door people are scary, but a delay like that is creepy. A shiver runs down his spine as he thinks about it.

"Acquaintance?" he asks confused, taking a step at the door so he can take a better look. His eyes start searching for more signs to clear this odd behavior. His left eye got at least some standard scanns like merging or such stuff. "Maybe you start telling me the reason you were send here It should be the best outcome for noe"
    They're trying not to be scary, Andy. It's just a friendly visit.
    "You came to the Nexus from another world, right? Our acquaintance is also from your world, so it looks like you ran away to the Nexus, and maybe you don't want to deal with anyone from your past?"
    The increased scrutiny and scans from his mechancial eye indicate that there's something about their neck, a device or spell that's producing the sound instead of it coming from the vocal cords. Certainly there's more heat there than normal. But I don't think they'll get all the way through the illusions to see what exactly it is.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva offers a kind smile, reaching out to place a hand on Sekhmet's.

"You almost had it. Once you've got it, we'll start working on consistency. You're already displaying a level of mental fortitude beyond what a normal person can muster. You shouldn't feel bad about making so much progress so quickly."

Really.

When this all started Sekhmet had all the mental resilience of a wet noodle.

Though...

Maybe a noodle would have LOTS of resilience?

Certainly never heard of anyone managing to mind control a noodle before.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

Sekhmet seems a little reassured. "Uh, thanks. I, uh, don't know why this is so much harder than other, uh, things." Ellie suddenly wanders over and hops up onto Sekhmet's rock. The Hound rolls over onto it's back, and Sekhmet rubs its belly. It isn't actually doing any of this on its own. Sekhmet's directing it psychically. "I can communicate with, and, uh, control people easily. But I, uh, can't protect myself from, uh, others' control. Why?"

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Woods]

Domhnall grins, turning so she can get a better look at his lower half.
    "You're allowed to look." he teases. He brightens very visibly when she mentions stag-people.
    "You know Rhea's people?! I-oh." Not since entering the Nexus. "Okay." he mumbles as his expression falls.
    "But yeah, I do live around here. And I'm an Ebeul. Centaurs are horses. And back home they're pretty nasty. But back home." There's nicer ones here.
    "Was that the question? I mean, I do live here. I can keep an eye on it. I can't have demons threatening the kids or anything." That would probably be bad for the kiddos.
    [Woods]

"Oh." Anika takes a second glance at the horsebutt in that case!
    "Rhea-who? Yeah, I can't say I know that name. But... centaurs are also bad where I'm from so maybe there's some similarities? Can't say I have heard about an Ebul but I honestly can't say I know that much about my homeworld so maybe your people is there too?" Anika smiles hopefully. "But can you handle demons? I don't want you to get killed and they can get pretty tough." She touches the side of her waist as she mentions this. "I got some painful reminders of that."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

[Woods]

”Ebeuls! We’re smaller. And nicer. And prettier.” He insists proudly.
    ”Well, I don’t really have any experience fighting demons. But I do own a sword! And I can learn to use the magic I just got! Maybe.” He admits that he isn’t exactly the most confident about that.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #231

Default Re: [Andy's Cabin]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    They're trying not to be scary, Andy. It's just a friendly visit.
    "You came to the Nexus from another world, right? Our acquaintance is also from your world, so it looks like you ran away to the Nexus, and maybe you don't want to deal with anyone from your past?"
    The increased scrutiny and scans from his mechancial eye indicate that there's something about their neck, a device or spell that's producing the sound instead of it coming from the vocal cords. Certainly there's more heat there than normal. But I don't think they'll get all the way through the illusions to see what exactly it is.
    [Andy's Cabin]

But such Sound effects are scary. Or at least disturbing. Thought Andy will just note that there is something off. It might be better to not point it out directly. In orst case they won't catch him off guard now.
    Andy thinks a moment staring at the two. his eyes getting smaller as he get's through a list of people that might want to bring him back. To many to say who it is exactly. Especially since he doesn't know who is able to get here in the first place.

"First of all I didn't run away." he replies in a seriouse sound like he felt offended by assuming he did. "It was what i now know as the randomness of the Nexus to pull people to it. For your other concern, I need to know why this 'acquaintance' would like to meet me in the first place. maybe you throw in a name? Also we haven't met befor so I am not sure what your connection it to this person."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Andy's Cabin]

"I'm glad to hear it was just the Nexus doing its thing."
    "Oh, the connection is that we both ended up working with VIGIL." Spike explains, with an accommodating smile.

"My name is Spike, but for them, let's just say they're with the church of Deus Mechanicus."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

The door can easily be unlocked and opened from inside. After all, no one ever expects someone to break out of a house. The two children can be reunited!
    [Hawthorn Cabin]

With the door open Lucy comes round to the front. "Russell!" She whispers sharply. "You scared me. What if she was a witch and you got baked into a pie." She scolds.

The girl looks past her bother into the cabin, and while she's slightly distracted Russell turns and goes back inside. "Wait!" Lucy follows after him where he goes to point out the scratches on the floor. "That could be from a monster's claws." She points out. A good reason to not stay in here!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Little do the children know that A: she is a witch, and B: those scratches are from a monster's claws. But let's not dwell on that.
    The cabin isn't about to do anything to hurt the two trespassers. It's just a building. They can poke around as they wish.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hawthorn Cabin]

Russell appears to not be too concerned. He heads over to the book case and looks at it. Lucy follows him, glowering at him. He's not listening! But she's only here in the first case because she's curious.

The boy grabs a random book off the shelf and looks at it. The boy is just starting to learn to read, so his understanding will be limited. "I bet these got a bunch of witch potion recipes." Lucy claims, grabbing a book herself.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Default Hawthorn Cabin

Lucy grabs a trashy romance novel. The beautiful heroine and her handsome love interest are pictured locked in a passionate kiss on the cover.

Russel gets luckier. He grabs a heavy, leatherbound tome. The title on the spine reads, "To Touch the Darkness, Vol. III," picked out in gold leaf.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #237

[Lakeside Sit]

Geneva has a few ideas about that inquiry.

She isn't sure which if any of them are accurate and speculating might upset Sekhmet.

So she'll start with, "Some people are just naturally inclined toward particular forms of psionics. Some people are a mental fortress but they have virtually no ability to alter the outside world, either the minds of others or physical objects. Some are balanced between offensive and defensive strength like I am. And some are able to easily exert their will on the outside world but they're passable at best at defending themselves."

Geneva offers a kind smile.

"And to be fair you're a little better than passable. You just don't have any practice with it. Why would you? You had been shelter at home your whole life. You never had any reason to defend yourself from psionic attacks."

Speaking of-

Sneak attack!

Geneva attempts to blindside Sekhmet with the overwhelming scent and taste of vanilla.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"I, uh, guess that makes... Augh! Why!?" Sekhmet angrily forces the scent of vanilla out of her mind. Wait... Did she actually do it? She doesn't seem to have realized she successfully forced the false scent out. "That was mean! We were in the middle of a conversation!"

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #239

[Lakeside Sit]

"Standard testing protocol,"
    Geneva replies with an impish smile. "But more importantly? You did it! You managed to repel a C-Tier psychic attack! It's just like I've observed; your powers spike when you're experiencing strong emotions. So far its been anger and frustration. That means when you're needing to really apply your potential you need to grab onto those feelings and use them to fuel the effect you're wishing to manifest."

Geneva is beaming with pride here!

She's so proud of her friend's improvement!

And so quickly, too!

"Sekhmet, a C-Tier psychic attack is a full order of magnitude more powerful than D-Tier. That's ten times more powerful. Considering you couldn't even defend from a D-Tier attack when we started you've improved over one hundred fold just in the course of this afternoon."

She gives one of those 'I told you so!' shrugs.

"You just need practice and encouragement."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lakeside Sit

"Uh, what? No, you, uh, must be wrong." Sekhmet doesn't believe it. She's not that powerful, right? She doesn't feel any stronger now. If anything, she's weaker, tired and frustrated.

My Nexus characters