New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [M&M3e] Naruto

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default [M&M3e] Naruto

OOC thread

After the graduation ceremony, as many of those watching were leaving, your sensei took some time to finally sort you into teams. By that time, the entrance of the academy was empity, the sun slowly crawling behind the kages' monument. The newly promoted genin finally looked each other in the eyes for the first time since this whole ceremony went on.

One of your old mentors gives away your assignments, a formal document in a scroll that tells you that you must come to the suburbs to meet your new mentor the next morning. It's also signed by "Hyuuga Youtsuda" and a big number "7" below it.

As it's finally nighttime, the event is officially finished and everyone leaves. The genin all take their time to walk back to the Market Street, walking smoothly through the Green Park just outsde the academy. Some of the rookie ninjas actually asked questions and engaged with each other

You somehow noticed that the Hyuuga boy in your class wouldn't stop staring at you three ever since the assignments were given. However at that moment he was dealing with a couple of other genin seriously trying to tell him that his new mentor was actually Lord Third's nephew.

By the time you cross the river, you reach a well-known shortcut: By somersaulting above the rocks and over the hill, you can quickly get access to the eastern limit of Tsuto's Warehouses - an obviously impossible path for any non-shinobi. As you make your way to the alley, navigating the village until you quickly reach Market Street, it seems like the hyuuga boy loses track of you.

Spoiler: narrative
    Show
    I decided to leave this scene pretty open-ended for you all to just describe your characters, get in the scene, and overall feel the character a bit, sorry if it's not giving you not much to work with. Our next morning will definetly pace this up.

Spoiler: other genin
    Show
    Team 1 (Team Seishiro)
    Mizuno Maya
    Noda Hidehito
    Uzumaki Emiku

Team 4 (Team Ogai)
    Koto Mungi
    Tonori Ishida
    Sarutobi Yotsui

Team 5 (Team Asuma)
    Hyuuga Dorago
    Inuzuka Santuro
    Shimura Dairomaru

Team 7 (Team Yotsuda)
    Kanjiro Kyori
    Nara Kimiko
    Kobayashi Kaede

Team 9 (Team Chomaru)
    Kirigiri Yazuko
    Ebisawa Toshiro
    Kozuke Saika
    Last edited by dangelo; 2021-03-27 at 04:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M3e] Naruto

Kyori

With a groan, Kyori flops down onto a roof, her curly hair cushioning her fall somewhat.

I don't feel him around anymore, so I guess he stopped following. If I had known you guys already had a two clans of freaky eye power people who could see chakra- no offense- she nods to acknowledge the Uchiha genin- her new teammate, I would have kept my mouth shut.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-06-06 at 04:02 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #3

ElfWarriorGuy

Kyori might have noticed a few more details about this hyuuga boy. Through the single year he took to graduate, he treated her as some sort of rival and never really showed interest in developing friendship towards her. He's an introvert, and usually hangs out with a bunch of his cousins.
    But earlier today you could swear that he was different. He was definitely staring at the name written on your assignment, and at some point he almost approached you, but held back. His chakra was agitated - he was feeling unsure.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    It is a relief getting away from the ceremony. Being in front of all of those people is embarrassing. The weight of the new forehead protector is unfamiliar, it will be a while before wearing it feels normal to Kimiko.

"Our orders are signed by one Hyuuga Youtsuda, perhaps the Hyuuga boy that has been following us does not like the team assignments."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfWarriorGuy

Just before you reach Marker Street, you hear someone calling you. You can see the bright electrical lights and the sound of the people in the street, the restaurants, bars and everyone else enjoying their evening in the village, but you're still conveniently alone in that dark alley.

The boy who called you is a short, dark haired genin from your class. His hair covers part of his eyes and he's always hunched back. He has dark circles around his eyes and often hides himself in his large, long, thick jacket's hood.

He walks around with an enormous black wolf and the animal's nose and paw's fur is whitened, denoting his advanced age. Kimiko and Kyori certainly heard about that wolf since the Nara, Senju and Inuzuka clan usually interact a lot with each other due to the fact that they share whole bunches of forest that connect their private territories.

That wolf is Daro, who originally fought alongside Santuro's father, head of the Inuzuka clan, during both the Second and the Third Shinobi War. However you don't know why he is Santuro's partner while all the other Inuzuka kids get their own puppies as soon as they're about 7 years old.

Santuro is a grumpy and melancholic boy who never talks to anyone including his wolf. He were frequently punished in the academy with extra work for being late, not taking the tasks seriously or just plainly being disrespectful to the teachers. You've never seen him hanging around with any the other classmates and he wouldn't even discuss the assignment with his new teammates before leaving the graduation ceremony.

"Hey, you" he calls, trying to sound absentminded.
    Santuro jogs to you and Daro stays behind, watching him carefully. When he gets close, he slows down and take a look on you. After a brief pause he sighs like he doesn't even care.
    "Show me your assignment" he asks in a rude way, reaching out for the scroll.

He sounds really curious to see that paper...
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-07 at 01:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    Another one of their classmates wanting to know about their assignment. There was no mention about it being classified information, and soon enough the genin group assignments will be public knowledge. Kimiko wonders why there is so much interest regarding their particular assignment that warrants drawing this much attention.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

Ask nicely and I'll consider it.

8. - Top - End - #8

ElfWarriorGuy

He looks at Kyori as if she offended him.
    "Aren't you that outsider girl?" he looks disgusted, staring at Kyori and then at Kimiko "Yeah, you probably deserve each other."
    "Just show it to me. I wanna know why that crybaby was so pissed off, okay? I honestly don't get him, it doesn't matter who is your sensei if you're just a bunch of losers. But I'm curious. You don't even care, just show it to me."

Santuro then stares at you with his low-spirited stance, trying to look menacing.

(feel free to roll any social skill in the ooc thread when you feel like it)
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-09 at 09:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfWarriorGuy

The village's suburbs are a combination of big houses, temples and castles surrounded by evergreen gardens. The streets are wide and calm, people go by and spend time around the the parks and squares, and everything is considerably more peaceful compared to the constant loud noise that's mostly what you can hear downtown.

Architecture is by far the most remarkable aspect of the suburbs. Buildings are either very old or designed to look ancient: wooden castles, sliding paper doors, mythical jade statues and underground electric hardware. Smiling chuunin policemen walk around and gladly greet you. They say things like Heey, it's the rookies! or Nice work, girls, we're here if you need any help! Even leaping quickly from place to place seems too chaotic for this neighborhood thus the shinobi just walk. Policemen still display their traditional badge despite the Uchiha clan being long gone at this point.

Your meeting point is at the White Gardens - more specifically bybthe fountain - though your new sensei is definetly late.

The White Gardens are basically the public park surrounding the Hyuuga clan headquarters: a vast, walled castle made of pale wood. The whole landscape is almost too bright. There are stone paths crossing the park and they all convert to the fountain square. The fountain itself is a large round pool with a tall shachihoko statue shooting water streams in a crown shape. Wooden stools are aligned with the circle just beyond the splashing zone. The floor tiles draw a perfect ying-yang picture (except the yin part is also white) across the entire square. White doves fly across the blue sky. Almost too bright.

It's about 6 am and you can see few people around. Most of them are meditating or otherwise engaging in peaceful activities like calligraphy. It's an extremely quiet place, definetly not suited for physical exercise.

Yotsudai will not show up immediately. Describe how you approach the other characters and/or the environment. If your character wouldn't say anything, tell us what she's thinking. Don't feel pressured to speed up the pacing. Is your character late to this meeting? Is she familiar with the suburbs? Did she come to visit the famous Kikyo Castle museum in her childhood? Or is this place rather unsettling, unnerving?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I figured we could start fresh instead of endlessly adjusting the first scene. It was supposed to be a short scene after all. All opinions on narrative structure are welcome so this can be a good experience for everyone. Good game to us.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-25 at 08:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Kaede let out a soft sigh as she entered the White Gardens and spun in a slow circle. She had never had a reason to visit before and she had to admit it was very peaceful. After a moment of admiring her surroundings she moved closer to the fountain and stared into the water. "Wow this place is nice," she finally spoke up with a wide grin. "I hope Sensei has us meet here again in the future." To say she was excited would be a major understatement. Today they were starting their ninja careers for real! At least she assumed they were anyways.

Eventually the water seemed to no longer hold her attention any longer and she hoped up onto one of the benches, standing in the middle of it with her arms spread wide and her face tilted upward with her eyes closed. The genin took in a deep breath and let out a happy sigh. "Today's going to be a good day," she declared. "I can just feel it! Can't you all feel it?" Realizing she was perhaps getting a little over excited and speaking louder than she should she gave gave an apologetic smile to anyone who she might have disturbed before taking a seat on the bench. "Yep. Great day," she repeated more softly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

Kyori didn't personally know all of her classmates, but it was impossible to spend several hours a day, five days a week, for two years with the same two dozen people and not be able to tell them apart at a glance.

So of course she had to be set up with... this one.

She lies on the grass, twiddling a blade as her compatriot skips about gushing about... whatever.

"Is your exuberance meant to be endearing? Because... it isn't working."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    Kimiko is not a mourning person, but she is punctual, she arrives 15 minutes early then accidentally falls asleep on a bench while trying to read the book she brought with her.

While sleeping she mutters "Nooooo Yuki, that is my breakfast." as her hand twitches while she dreams of her pet squirrel trying to take a morsel of food off her plate.

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfWarriorGuy

A procession of six people, all dressed in white robes, walks out of the White Castle, each carrying smoking censers. They patiently make their to another portion of the Gardens where you can see in the distance another square with a large statue in the middle. People come in and out of the castle and many choose to pass by the fountain. As the sun goes up and some people go by, the silence is slightly disturbed. Soon your new sensei will be a whole hour late for the meeting.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-26 at 09:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

"No reason to be grumpy," Kaede told her less than enthusiastic teammate with an eye roll. "I mean come on, we're ninjas now! Like proper ninjas and everything. Aren't you at least a little excited?"

The procession of white robed individuals briefly caught the excitable girl's attention but soon she found herself sitting beside the apparently sleeping girl looking bored. "You don't think something might have happened do you," she asked Kyori as she tried to tickle the end of Kimiko's nose with a leaf. "I mean someone would have come and told us if our sensei suddenly got switched or hurt or something, right? Maybe next time we should ask if we can meet in a training ground or something. I mean this place is pretty but if they've got other duties that could make them late we could at least meet somewhere where we could train while we wait, you know?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

She suddenly bolts upright. What if it's a trick? Like, they've been here all along and are waiting for us to find them?

With that, she closes her eyes and presses a thumb against her forehead in concentration, searching the surrounding area for any particularly strong chakra signals.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Perception (Chakra Echo), with a -1 to search a 1000 foot range: (1d20+9)[18]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    Kimiko reaches out to pet what she thinks is Yuki her squirrel and instead caresses Kaede's hand. She jumps up wide awake and begins apologizing profusely and awkwardly.

17. - Top - End - #17

ElfWarriorGuy

Chakra sounds like a mellow flute, reflecting the peace or absence of mind kept by the few people around. Kyori identifies the soothing melody of every single person she can see, until a fine, distinct note grabs her attention. It's surprisingly close. She traces it to somewhere just beyond the square's stone tiles, on the grass.

If she makes her way there, she'll quickly understand that there's someone somehow invisible around. And then in a blink, when she crosses an invisible line, she sees herself beyond the illusion. For those watching her, she vanishes in thin air.

Kyori sees a simple wooden tea table and three seats at her side. Across the table, a young man meditates with his hands in the tiger seal position. There is a complete tea ceremony setting on the table and three cups are served, but the tea looks already lukewarm.

The man wears a black and white kimono underneath a flack jacket and the Leaf headband on his forehead. His shoulder-length black hair is straight and little fuzzy at the top. He looks energetic for a Hyuuga, even while meditating.

"Good morning, apprentice" he says without moving or opening his eyes "Sorry, you took too long and your tea is cold. Do you know how to properly serve it or should I do it for you?"

He ends his question with a kind smile and finally release the hand seal he was displaying. The genjutsu is then completely dispelled.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

Kaede raised a brow at Kyori's reaction. It sounded just a touch paranoid to her but then again it wasn't like they had any other explanation. The excitable girl was momentarily distracted from watching her teammate search however when Kimiko finally awoke. A giggle escaped the wood user at the girl's antics and she considered the best way to tease her for it.

Luckily for the team's Nara there was something to cause Kaede to completely forget about giving her a hard time. "Um... Where did she go," Kaede asked as Kyori vanished. Now feeling a bit worried the young ninja stands up and looks around. "Please tell me I'm not just imagining it and our teammate did in fact just vanish into thin air." Before she could investigate however the genjutsu dropped and she spotted both her teammate and sensei. Suddenly feeling rather awkward she headed in their direction while nervously running a hand through her hair. "Um hey, uh, yeah. Good morning?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

She does her best not to roll her eyes- of course the Hyuuga would want one of theirs around to keep an unnaturally pale eye her- but sits and bows all the same.

I'm not well-versed in the tea ceremony.

She accepts a cup of lukewarm tea, but doesn't drink any.

I understand this is a lesson about vigilance and situational awareness, but you realize that this is also teaching us not to trust you, right?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    Kimiko goes from apologizing to Kaede to apologizing to Hyuuga Youtsuda.

"I am sorry for falling asleep, I look forward to learning from you."

21. - Top - End - #21

ElfWarriorGuy

Yotsudai replies Kyori's provocation by widening his smile. "You should be proud. My first rule is that I'll withdraw from the position of sensei if a team is unable to find me before the tea is completely cold." he says in a gentle, almost harmonious voice. "I think it's quite reasonable. After all I wasn't hiding at all, was I? Please, the tea pot is still hot."

By the time Kimiko and Kaede reach them, Hyuuga Yotsudai is pouring steaming tea in their cups while still keeping his eyes closed. It smells like jasmine.

"Yes, this is indeed a great morning. Your training has already started and your results were acceptable." he says while pouring his own tea. Then he opens his white eyes. "Why don't you tell me who you are? And I don't mean just your names, of course."

At last he adds "And make sure to enjoy our ceremony. Now that you've passed the test, we have a fairly strenuous training schedule to follow. You're shinobi now, and should train harder than ever."

22. - Top - End - #22

Chimera

Taking a seat Kaede glanced around at her new team nervously. At her new sensei's words she found herself feeling rather conflicted. On the one hand they had apparently passed some test, however on the other it wasn't through anything she had done. Truly only Kyori had passed and she and Kimiko were just along for the ride. The idea of being carried to success by someone else's accomplishments didn't sit well with her at all. There wasn't much she could do about it however. She would just have to work harder going forward and show that she deserved to be there.

Once she had finished a sip of tea and getting her emotions in some sort of order Kaede offered the group a small smile. "Well my name is Kobayashi Kaede. It's a pleasure to meet you sensei," she began with a bow. "I'm really no one special. My father was also shinobi but he wasn't one of those legendary figures or anything. He was just... him. He died some time ago. Um anyways I'm proficient in all the academy basics, which I guess should be obvious since I didn't flunk the graduation exams. Oh and I reading and helping my grandmother with her garden. Is, um, is that enough, she asked ending her babbling with an awkward glance around at the others.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    "Kimiko of the Nara clan, it is a pleasure to meet you." says Kimiko. She leaves out that she is the heir of the clan as she does not want any special treatment.

"I like orchids and Yuki my pet squirrel. I dislike messes. Someday I want to become the best medical ninja. My hobbies include cooking and gardening."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

Kyori Kanjiro. Was a Monk-in-training, now I'm a ninja-in-training. Same song, different key, really.

She shrugs.

I like quiet, calm days and serene people. Could do without crowds or folks who tend to get loud. I'm a ninja because staying a Monk wouldn't make me strong enough to defend my family.

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfWarriorGuy

"Hm. Good. I can see why Hokage-sama assigned me to team 7 after all. He is wise, indeed."

Yotsuda takes a lot of time between sentences, slowly sipping from his cup. When he speaks, he sounds kind and polite, but somehow energetic, reminding you of his young age even in that peaceful state of mind. He looks around 25.

"Well, I suppose it's my turn now." he smiles. "It is a great pleasure to meet you kids."

He picks up a blank scroll and a small case, from which he retrieves a long brush and an inkstone. Yotsuda takes a couple of minutes to finish his calligraphy work and remain patiently silent for that time. If someone talks to him, however, he'll reply as usual.

"I am Hyuuga Yotsuda." he displays the fine combination of kanji which reads his full name. "Hm, let's see... I enjoy good tea and I dislike... laziness. That sounds about right, I think."

He handles you three identical blank scrolls.

"As I said, your training is already going on. But before we head to a training field so I can take a look at what you can do, I need to make sure you're ready. If you can't hold a brush, you can't hold a kunai." He takes another sip. "Don't worry, it won't take too long. We're not monks after all..."

"You'll begin by writting your names in calligraphy. Then we'll move to setting up a tea ceremony, and last, a plain session of meditation. We'll be finished by noon."

His smile changes from kindness to confidence - he looks eager to start.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Yotsuda-sensei will give you tips on the tasks and he won't require a fine work in the end. You'll quickly realise that this is a actually a chakra control exercise. Just giving you some foresight on the scene so you're free to interact with any moment of the conversation. Tell me if you'd prefer to have a slower pacing - I'm still figuring out this play by post thing.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-01 at 04:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

Kimiko enjoys the calligraphy, maneuvering the brush in much the same way as she would wield her sword.

27. - Top - End - #27

Chimera

Kaede tries to pay as close attention as she can as each of the others talks about themselves, not wanting to miss something that could lead to an embarrassing faux pas later. While she did learn a bit about each of her new teammates it was no where near as much as she would have liked. In the end she decided she would just have to try and speak to more later when there wasn't training to perform.

Their new sensei's idea of training left the girl a bit confused. Calligraphy and tea ceremony? That didn't really sound like ninja skills. She really hoped this wasn't because they were all girls or something equally foolish. Still she wasn't going to question their instructor on the first day so instead took to the assigned task with gusto, her tongue sticking out of the corner of her mouth as she tried to work as neatly as she could.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

感じろ 距離

Her name is interesting, written down.

Kan-ji (not Kanji) for sense or feeling. Kyo-ri for distance. Weirdly relevant to her abilities.

But her given name can also mean "separation."

Separating herself from her senses so that she could control them. Separating herself from her feelings so they cannot control her.

Her parents separating from her, because of her senses.

She forces that thought a bit deeper down as the ink dries.

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfWarriorGuy

"You seem like competent genin." He casually says when you begin to paint. "Do you also see why you're on the same team? This might sound over the edge, but from this exercise only, one can understand your synergy."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

Kimiko considers the question. She and Kyori know each other rather well and have trained together. However, she does not know much about Kaede.

With a giggle she contemplates the silly notion that they are all on the same team because their names all begin with a "K" in romaji.