New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [M&M3e] Naruto

1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: [M&M3e] Naruto

Glancing between her teammates Kaede could only give an embarrassed shrug. "I'm sorry Sensei but I don't know what you mean. How can you tell we synergize just based off some calligraphy?" She was sure there was something she just wasn't seeing but without some kind of clue she doubted she was going to guess the right answer.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

She shrugs. I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not her fault that she really never took the time to get a handle on her classmates' abilities. Well it kind of is, but between ninjas being secretive and Kyori not wanting headaches, she'd never really had or taken the opportunity to try and learn.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

As you speak, your sensei works on a piece of calligraphy himself.
    "Yes, but not because this is an oracle by itself... we express ourselves in subtle ways. We leave our mark on everything we touch. When we make art, it is even more expressive."
    He takes some time between sentences, always speaking in a regular, expressive tone. "We don't create beauty only with our bare hands, we do it with our heart and spirit. And chakra is your spirit. It is your personality, your essence and your role in the universe."

Yotsuda rests the brush and takes his time to light up an incense stick. Before him there are three pieces of paper covered in a mix of mysterious markings and kanji. He places the stick in a small ornamented jade censer, where another one has burned out.

"You are strong-willed and spirited. Yes, understanding your allies' techniques is important, but I'm talking about something greater than that. Your chakra, your spirits, are aligned by karma. You are creation, preservation and destruction. The perfect triad. Do you understand what I'm saying?"
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-08 at 02:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

I understand that I'm probably not the creation part of the equation.

The conflict between destruction and preservation was one that had her more indecisive as she thought about it.

Why was she here. To protect her family, by betraying her own upbringing. It was necessary. At least, that's what she tells herself.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

"That it is our fate to work together?" she says holding the handle of the brush up to her chin.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #36

Chimera

Kaede listened with rapt attention. She had to admit her new instructor had a way with words. At the mention of creation she tensed slightly, feeling a way of nervousness. Did he know? Was he expecting her to share with her new teammates? She bit her lip and shifted awkwardly where she sat. "Y-Yeah I think I understand," she said before trying to make it look like she was fully engrossed in her calligraphy.

7. - Top - End - #37

ElfWarriorGuy

I wouldn't say fate, Kimiko-kohai. Karma isn't a law. Your life follows a path like the branches of a three sprouting to reach sunrise. You have a bright future, if you wish to seek it, and karma is showing you the way."

"In a way... it is your fate. Since you're already determined to achieve your goals, and they are hard goals, yes, they are... you deserving to be in this position is the result and cause of you desiring to be in this position."

He collects three small square pieces of paper that he have been working on. They're covered in a mix of mysterious runes and regular kanji.

"You are, Kyori, at least in part." He replies. "Just like yin contains yang within itself, each one of you holds the three essences in your spirit. In your chakra. However, your final roles in the wheel of karma are yet to be determined."

Yotsuda puts the calligraphy tools aside, keeping the small table surprisingly organized even with a bunch of tea cups and scrolls on it.

"And for us to understand your potential, we need to get some details." Yotsuda suddenly sounds a bit more energetic. "You see, we've been talking about chakra, which is quite ancient compared to ninjutsu."

"We'll go into that with more detail when you're ready, but for now, consider the five elements of nature through which chakra manifests."
    "These seals will react to your chakra." He takes fourth one between his index and middle finger, performing the tiger seal. Suddenly, the piece of paper bursts into a small, quiet flame, and quickly turns to ashes. "Not unlike most of the people from our country, my affinity is fire."

"This doesn't mean that you must specialize in elemental ninjutsu. I don't do that myself. But this should reveal even more than the calligraphy about how I should train you so you can walk that bright path."

"When you're ready, expose the paper to your chakra. If you can't do it instantly through your fingers, a a handseal with do it for you. Do it gently, like serving tea."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

Kyori's paper reacts before she even has both fingers on it, practically folding in on itself as wrinkles and folds suddenly appear on the once-flat sheet.

When she actually has it in her hands, it bursts into flames.

I doubt that that is normal.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-16 at 11:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

Kaede frowns a bit as she focuses her chakra, letting out a small sound of surprise as the seal grows damp before crumbling away into little wet clumps. "Is that a good thing," she asks glancing nervously towards her sensei.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

She picks up the paper with her left hand and hold up two fingers on her right hand to focus as she gathers her chakra and sends it into the paper which splits perfectly in half.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

11. - Top - End - #41

ElfWarriorGuy

Yotsuda smiles in approval. He nods a couple of times, considering your results, while your pieces of paper react to your chakra.
    "Interesting, very interesting." He says vaguely. "Usually you have a single element as your main affinity, even if there are others. I have heard of cases like yours... good to know it's true."

He takes even more time to reply after this, resting his chin on his hand and quietly staring at the table for several minutes.

"But this is rather intriguing."
    He takes another look at you and you see eagerness behind his calm eyes, like he was trying to figure you out. Finally, after a long period of thinking, he says:
    "This changes our plans. I don't think I wanna wait until noon to see you in action."
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-12 at 02:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

Looking at the split paper she is holding Kimiko says "So the paper burning means that the person has a fire affiliation, what do the other reactions mean Sensei?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

Huh. Finally something she knows! She'd read up on ninja-style chakra as self-imposed monk-to-ninja transition training.

Crinkling means lightning, splitting means wind, crumbling is earth, and fire and water self-demonstrate. But I didn't know you could have... more than one?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-15 at 12:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Chimera

Kaede gulped upon hearing mention that the paper should have only had one reaction. Why would it have two? Unless it had to do with... She glanced between her teammates and Sensei, suddenly worried that they might have figured something out. "Don't want to wait," she asked Yotsuda hoping to change the subject. "Does that mean you have some exercises for something you'd like us to go through?"

15. - Top - End - #45

ElfWarriorGuy

"You're right, Kyori. That's because wind can cut anything if so desired... which means you chose the perfect weapon for you, Kimiko. That's good." He smiles kindly, nodding at his student's sword. "And yes, it is expected that you'd have a single one. The fact that both of you have two is intriguing at least."

"But I'm theorizing that your cases are not the same. Kyori's paper displayed lightning before fire, while Kaede's did the two elements at once. It is just my initial though, so I can't back this up with evidence... I think I'm gonna have to train you three even harder to understand the nature of your affinities."

"Kimiko, wind will enlarge a flame, so Kaede can cover your weakness with water. Just like that, earth is weak against lightning, and wind is the perfect way to deal with lightning."
    "Kyori, your fire covers your lightning weakness the same way, but you're still vulnerable to water... which is weak against earth." And he points at Kaede.

"Again: you're not bound to specialize in your elements. But one more time, Hokage-sama assembled you flawlessly."

"Do you have any more questions for now? If you don't, I think I do have an exercise for the team, Kaede. Although I would rather call it a simulation exercise."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

Kimiko considers the result, an affiliation with wind nature. She did not know of many ninja in Hidden Leaf that used wind.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I am ready to move onto the next subject or scene.

17. - Top - End - #47

Chimera

Kaede payed close attenion, nodding along to the lesson. It really was rather interesting the way elements interacted and part of her kind of wished she could see a demonstration. At the mention of the Hokage however Kaede's eyes momentarily widened. If he had been the one to pick the teams then perhaps their team composition really did have more to it than first met the eye.

When asked if she had questions the genin shook her head, ready to move on to whatever exercise awaited them.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

I'm ready if everyone else is.[/QUOTE]

19. - Top - End - #49

ElfWarriorGuy

Yotsuda opens a special scroll in front of him and with a simple handseal the whole table vanishes in a puff of smoke. The scroll is now full of weird markings.

"Let's start with a challenge, then. Are you ready? Follow me to the right training field."

He stands up and takes a few steps back. "Remember. Gently like tea."

He takes something from his pocket in lightning speed and throws it on the ground. A smoke bomb creates a thick cloud of smoke, from which ten copies of Yotsuda come off, sprinting in different directions.

They leave you there with no further explanation.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-20 at 04:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

She isn't sure if she's ever switched her senses so quickly, but by the time she registered a bunch of copies of their sensei fleeing the scene, she'd already identified all but a few as chakra constructs. She didn't have time to narrow anything down further- they already had a decent head start.

She's pointing and giving orders before she can stop herself.

Kimi, follow that one. Kae, that one's yours. Go!

She chases after the third solid copy, pushing her chakra to her legs for speed.

Show

Activating Chakra-Enhanced Speed to follow a clone.

21. - Top - End - #51

Chimera

Kaede's eye's widened for a moment at the sudden action from their new sensei. She had expected to be given some kind of tasks to perform or perhaps a bit of sparring, not this. She was glad her new teammate seemed to be on top of things and had narrowed down which of the copies were the most likely to be real. She gave a quick not and set off after her assigned target.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko

Everyone runs off without any coordination as to what will happen to the two teammates that follow the clones. Casually using a smoke bomb or an explosive tag as a beacon within the walls of the village would be a bad idea. Unfortunately there is no time to coordinate anything so Kimiko chases after her designated target.

23. - Top - End - #53

ElfWarriorGuy

The copies run to the east, quickly leaving the White Gardens and making their way to the wall. They seem to be going the same direction, but the three Yotsudas try to lose you by making quick turns or even changing places with one another, jumping from rooftops to trees and to rooftops again.

By the time you reach the wall, one of the copies suddenly turns back to you and quickly throws a bunch of shuriken in Kyori's direction. "Very smart, Kyori-kohai! Change of plans!" That copy says before vanishing in a puff of smoke.
    The other two sensei also give up on the chase and instead jump on Kyori with their kunai in hand. Another smoke bomb is detonated.

The girl manages to simply dodge under the ninja stars, but it bought time for the other copies to close the distance to her. When the smoke cloud vanishes, there are now three identical copies of Kyori standing on the wall and no sensei around.

"Good luck, sensei." One of the copies points at another. "It's clear that you're the fake."

OOC: one hero point to Kyori for the complication
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-23 at 01:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    Clones with a transformation technique, a good way to get a newly formed team to fight themselves. If it was Kaede that was copied things would be more difficult, however Kyori and Kimiko have spent a lot of time together., this can be resolved by asking some questions that only the real Kyori would know.

Kimiko pulls out a kunai to throw it at one of the imposers.

"Kyori, When was the last time we had clams?"

Spoiler: Kyori
    Show
    It is a trick question, Kimiko never eats shellfish and Kyori would know this.

25. - Top - End - #55

Chimera

Keade looked between the copies and bit her lip in worry. She didn't know her teammate nearly well enough to be able to easily identify her from a fake making this probably the worst test for her to have to tackle so soon. She hoped that they would soon know each other better but for not she was at a loss. Luckily Kimiko seemed to be on top of things. Kaede pulled out her bokken and took a ready stance, glancing between the copies and preparing to strike as soon as Kimiko gave the word.

26. - Top - End - #56

ElfWarriorGuy

The two copies wait for Kyori to answer, ready to yell theirs at the same time.

Spoiler: if Kyori replies
    Show
    "Yesterday!"
    "I hate clams!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    just leaving it here so the three of them speak at the same time
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-27 at 09:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Kyori

They were scallops, and you had a salad instead.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Nara Kimiko
    "That is the real Kyori" says Kimiko pointing at the Kyori that gave the correct answer while throwing a kunai at one of the fakes.

Show
    (1d20+5)[18]
    2 Damage (1 from the kunai and +1 from throwing mastery)

29. - Top - End - #59

Chimera

Kaede decided to trust in her teammates and didn't need to be told twice before striking. As soon as Kimiko spoke and threw at one of the copies she launched herself at the other, lunging with her wooden sword towards the fake's midsection.

Show
    (1d20+5)[20]
    Assuming a hit it's a 5 damage melee attack.

30. - Top - End - #60

ElfWarriorGuy

The copies spin around each other in perfect synchrony, one of them purposefully getting in the way of Kimiko's kunai. It hits him right on his chest and the copy falls on the floor, destroyed immediately.

Kaede sees an opening at the very end of the remaining Yotsuda's circular movement. He is taken by surprise and for a moment it looks like her bokken will land precisely on his head.

Yotsuda takes a quick chakra-enhanced step, recovering from the spin in that incredible jonin-level speed. He claps his hands together, gripping the wooden sword right above his face, just a few inches from being hit.

"Very clever!" He yells with a big smile, still holding on to the bokken. "I should've had a third clone. My next option was 'You hate clams.'"

He ends his turn holding on to Kaede's wooden sword.

Spoiler: oh dang jonin are fast!
    Show
    One hero point awarded to Kaede for negating her hit, which allowed Yotsuda to react and grab her main weapon.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-07-28 at 07:35 PM.