New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Fyraltari watches The Clone Wars (2008) for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You must have missed the later seasons. Ezra's stunner/saber gets destroyed, so he gets a proper blaster that shoots red/orange (im colorblind) bolts like stormtrooper blasters and builds himself a new, separate lightsaber. He also overtly and explicitly gets called out on how ruthless and pragmatic he has become, due to the influence of a Sith holocron. Its a big plot point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, right. As he ages out of being a child as is more adult
    (or, at least, as adult as Sabine was in S1).

I'm not accusing the networks of being consistent or having sound reasoning. I'm accusing them of ridiculous rules enforcement.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, right. As he ages out of being a child as is more adult
    (or, at least, as adult as Sabine was in S1).

I'm not accusing the networks of being consistent or having sound reasoning. I'm accusing them of ridiculous rules enforcement.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ezra is only two years younger than Sabine. Theyre both children at the beginning of Rebels, with Sabine being 16. And you can argue basically anything with the idea that you arent saying it makes sense or is consistent. I could certainly believe that there were bizarre network censors in place, but you arent exactly offering any proof that that they were in these cases either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, if you are spoilering this for my sake, don't bother, I have already watched Rebels. What? It has Thrawn in it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #694

Ezra is only two years younger than Sabine.
    ....yes?

I said that Disney gave Ezra a weird stun slingshot because they didn't want a child to have a gun. I said that Sabine was apparently old e ojgh for them. You then point out that they have a two-year difference and Ezra ends up getting a gun around two years in. That perfectly tracks with what I have been saying.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    No, the Expansion Region is between the Inner Rim and Mid Rim. I assume the name is somehow related to how the Colonies region is between the Core Worlds and the Inner Rim; like they kept naming the edge of then-known space no one wanted to settle "rim" and continually renamed the rims each time they added one....
    Well, that makes sense. Though I would guess that the Mid Rim used to be just The Rim and when it got too big and it amde no sense to call all of that just one thing, they separated it into the Mid Rim and the Outer Rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You might recognize his species from Dex, the guy who owned the diner in Attack of the Clones who told Obi-Wan about Kamino from the dart.
    You blew my mind a little. I'm so used to races either being created for a specific character and then never seen again or all characters of that race being copies of that original ones that the contrast being "space 50's America dinner owner" and "harsh Jedi Master/ruthless general" is rather jarring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    That's the Ubese, the same species as the bounty hunter Leia cosplayed as during ROTJ. Umbarans are a different species, the one Sly Moore, the bald chick occasionally seen standing behind Palpatine, belongs to
    Thanks. The question remains, though, of why they settled a planet whose air they can't breathe when other species can.
    (which brings of the point that one of Palpatine's most important advisors is from a species that sided with the Separatists, mmm, implications...)
    Heh, that kind of things happen in civil wars.

I really hope he was being paid hourly or something so that his paycheck actually reflected how much clone each episode of Clone Wars contained.
    Having sole amateur theatre experience myself, so much of a good perfomance in dialog scenes comes from having good chemistry with the other person, I'm really impressed by how much he can voice discussions with himself.

The Expansion Region is so-named because it was originally settled under a policy of deliberate expansion by corporations in order to acquire the raw materials necessary for further development of the Core and Colonies, and even though that was something like 15,000 years in the past, portions of the region are still developmentally depressed as a consequence.
    For comparison, 15,000 years ago, we were still in the paleolithic period.
    The network, not the creators.
    Doesn't change much on my end.

Ŕ propos of nothing:
    Two seasons ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Once his artillery has gone up in smoke Ani orders a retreat. This vexes Rex: "We can't just turn our backs and run!" Great tactical thinking there rex, I'm sure you do your instructors back on Kamino proud.
    Today:
    Since they're getting slaughtered, Rex orders a retreat,
    [...]
    Rex retorts that he followed his plan, even though he thought it flawed and that men, not clones, men! have died for it. And he has as much of a duty to obey Krell as to protect his underlings.
    Character develoment or hypocrisy? You make the call! I'm thinking development, though.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-15 at 03:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Season 4, Episode 8: The General

Spoiler: Recap
    Show
    Picking up where we left off, the clones are still in the middle of a fighting retreat and the Umbarans have brought in some nifty-looking space fighters. While clones are dropping like flies, Pong Krell is having a phone call with Obi-Wan Kenobi. His group is struggling to take the capital without the help of the 501st, however they're spotted a nearby airbase that is resupplying the capital's defenses. If the 501st could destroy it, that would allow them to take the city. Somehow. Krell orders Rex to have all troops ready to move out immediately. Well, they're kind of busy at the moment, but they apparently manage since we catch up with them walking peacefully.

taking a moment to assess the situation, Rex spots three tank divisions plus guns defending the base. Krell orders a full frontal assault through a gorge leading to the base. Rex objects that the gorge is so narrow they'll have to split the platoons and advance one squad after the other, so he'd rather do some more scouting before in hopes of finding a better route. Krell says they don't have time to do that. I mean, they have until the base sends another supply run to the capital, no? That could be days. Nevertheless, Rex obeys and relays the order to the troops. He wants to assemble the squads into two divisions; The clones are mighty pissed at this calling Krell crazy and wondering if he's trying to get them killed. Fives is particularly angry with Krell who he blames for the previous casualties. Only Hardcase and (I'm guessing) Dogma actually agree with the plan, and even then, not that enthusiastically. Rex points out that Skywalker's plans are about this reckless too, and they work. Fives counters that Anakin's plans have him in the line of fire too unlike their current boss. The whole thing descends into multiple separate conversations and Rex takes Fives apart. He asks him to help him convince the men. He argues that Krell is a recognized war hero with numerous victories under his belt. Fives retorts that more clones have died under his command than anybody else's. Rex says they have a duty to lay down their lives if necessary and Fives asks if he really believes that or if that's his engineering speaking. Rex just says that he believes in honoring his code.

They march in (this place is easily wide enough for them two have twice as many clones upfront, I don't know what Rex was on about), spot some more flying mantas (just wildlife, it seems) and everything goes smoothly for about thirty second before they're attacked by some kind of huge worm-like armoured vehicle. Covered in guns. Some more of it show up and they're all ray-shielded, meaning their blasters don't do squat. Fives call Rex for rocket launchers, which he immediately sends into the fray. One of the clones (Hardcase?) takes a launcher form a wounded comrades and shoots one of the worm-tanks right in the driver's seat destroying it. The clones regroup into a little rock formation that the two remaining worms can't immediately get into. Rex orders detonators placed all over it to trap them. They goad the enemy to them and Rex... detonates the detonators right under them, destroying them. rEx is blown away by the explosion but he's fine. There's a swiping shot of Krell watching all that, but it goes by so quickly you barely have the time to recognize him. Don't know what that was about.

They go through the wreckage and destroy a still-somewhat functional tank. Rex then shoots its wounded driver when he collapses at his feet. Add that to the list of war crimes. They also shoot a bunch of mantas trying to feed on their dead brethren. and they spot a couple of massive spider-like tanks coming their way. The tanks bombard them with glowing-green projectiles and they scatter. Krell, seeing that, orders Rex to press on the attack. Rex asks for reinforcements, but Krell says the rest of the battalion is guarding the other entrances of the gorge (I think? I can't quite make up what he says) so they can march to the airbase. Krell just yells at rex that he is ordering him not to fall back. A sergent Apple tell Krell their troops are in position and only waait for his order to support Rex. Meanwhile Rex's men are getting disintegrated (ion cannons?). When Rex tells them to get ready to counter-attack Fives suggests the general just straight-up hates clones. But he doesn't have anything better to offer, so they do what they're told. They get land some hits, but even the rockets don't do any noticeable damage. They get soundly beaten and Rex has to order troopers to leave the wounded behind. One clone, named Kicks, the one who was angry some animals started eating his brothers, says he sounds like Krell. That visibly hurts Rex, but he says surviving is the most important at the moment.

Still, Rex has an idea and he needs Fives for it. Pong Krell demands an update on the situation and Rex tells him his plan: send in two men to the airbase where they are to still a couple fighters and attack the tanks from the rear. Krell is furious at the idea of trusting two soldiers with what an entire group couldn't do. Rex says that stealth will be easier with them keeping the Umbarans occupied. KRell orders hims to lauch an assault again or be relieved of duty. Not sure which one hangs up on the other, but Rex ignores him. Though, it must be said that Fives and Hardcase were on their way already. Hardcase has some trouble with the idea of not going in guns blazing and says that's just how he is. His trainer back on Kamino even used to say his growth acceleration chamber had a leak. The base is warded off by a sensor wall made of lightning somehow. Fives sends Hardcase climbing up a tree while he plants detonators on its trunk. Harcase uses a branch to walk over the wall. Fives follow him but is ambushed by one of the mantas. Hardcase shoots it down with his grapple. The two sneak in near the fighters and Fives explodes the detonators causing the tree to collapse and the Umbarans to go check the ruckus out. They get inside the fighters but they don't really know how to fly them. They do manage to turn them on soon enough for the ray shields to protect them from the Umbarans shooting at them. they figure the controls well enough tot take off and start blowing up the base. And the other fighters.

Back in the gorge Rex manages to destroy the main gun of one of the tanks but is pinned and about to be stepped on. He's saved by the arrival of the two clones who promptly blow up the tanks. With Hardcase laughing his heart out. Even Krell admits that was impressive and he sends the rest of the battalion into the airbase. Close-up of his eye with flames reflected in it in case you had any doubts left he was bad news. The clones have taken full control of the base (we even see some Umbaran prisoners). Rex congratulates the two heroes "despite Hardcase's flying." Krell asks for their situation and the Captain reports victory. Krell calls him fortunate and brushes off the casualties. And he leaves.

Spoiler: My thoughts
    Show
    See, if Fives had been affected to another ARC squad, you wouldn't have to send him on missions with a random private!

The episode was good but the situation hasn't changed much from the previous one. I was surprised Krell didn't relieve Rex of command at the end since he disobeyed his direct order. I think the show is going for a slow burn of the clones getting angry with him, since the episode after the next one has Krell's name in it. I guess Rex will be relieved but next episode.

In any case it's nice to see him come up with the kind of tactics Anakin would use: send a little group on a near-suicide mission to turn the enemy's weapons against them. His boss really is rubbing off on him.

Next up: Plan of Dissent
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ion weapons disrupt electronics and shields. Youre thinking of disruptors, which tear things apart molecule by molecule and are considered to be an automatic war crime by both sides. Mando in his own show uses disruptor rounds from his sniper rifle on some Jawas, because they kind of deserve it, but the setting generally treats it as an automatic "bad guy weapon" otherwise.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Ion weapons disrupt electronics and shields. Youre thinking of disruptors, which tear things apart molecule by molecule and are considered to be an automatic war crime by both sides. Mando in his own show uses disruptor rounds from his sniper rifle on some Jawas, because they kind of deserve it, but the setting generally treats it as an automatic "bad guy weapon" otherwise.
    Isn't the full name "ion disruptors"? I mean, the best way to tear something apart at the molecular level would be by messing with the electromagnetic liaisons sticking those molecules together, anyway.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Isn't the full name "ion disruptors"? I mean, the best way to tear something apart at the molecular level would be by messing with the electromagnetic liaisons sticking those molecules together, anyway.
    Not that ive ever heard. Ion weapons have had the fairly specific meaning of "anti-electronic" since ESB at least, to my knowledge. Peelee might know better than I.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Not that ive ever heard. Ion weapons have had the fairly specific meaning of "anti-electronic" since ESB at least, to my knowledge. Peelee might know better than I.
    The weapon from Rebels is called a ion disruptor rifle.

Edit: I remember it because at the time I thought "wait since when do ion weapons kill people in Star Wars? Wait, that actually makes a lot of sense" when I watched it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-22 at 05:51 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That appears to be a specific anti-starship weapon that serves double function as a disruptor and ion rifle. Most disruptors are not named with that classification, and certainly ion grenades (droid poppers) are not disruptors.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

The weapon from Rebels is called a ion disruptor rifle.

Edit: I remember it because at the time I thought "wait since when do ion weapons kill people in Star Wars? Wait, that actually makes a lot of sense" when I watched it.
    Hm, that's how I felt about the ion carbine in Jedi Outcast...which of course was completely different from the disruptor rifle in Jedi Outcast.

I like to think the blaster stun setting used on Leia in A New Hope and the Jawa's ion weapon used on R2D2 in A New Hope got conflated because they both had blue special effects, and like everything else in A New Hope that formed the initial stereotype in the Star Wars universe.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. It appears there has been a mix up on the website I am using to watch these. The files of the last two episodes of the arc were put in the wrong order and I ended up watching the fourth one before the third. And now, it somehow got worse: episode 2 has been replaced with episode 4, episode 3 is episode 2 and episode 4 episode 1.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #704

Hmm. It appears there has been a mix up on the website I am using to watch these. The files of the last two episodes of the arc were put in the wrong order and I ended up watching the fourth one before the third. And now, it somehow got worse: episode 2 has been replaced with episode 4, episode 3 is episode 2 and episode 4 episode 1.
    Oh man, if you think that's bad just wait til you hear about Clerks: The Animated Series, .

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Oh man, if you think that's bad just wait til you hear about Clerks: The Animated Series, .
    I don't get it.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #706

I don't get it.
    Because you haven't heard about it, I would wager.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was an animated show based on the movie Clerks, which was rated R. It was supposed to air on one network that specifically wanted it, but another network made a bid and the changed to it. The other network apparently did not know many basic details of the show/movie, such as two anchor characters being drug dealers. They demanded changes, such as them being fireworks dealers. Most notably, though, the episode release schedule was....

The first episode made was a normal episode. The second episode was a satire on clip show episodes, and constantly flashed back to the first episode. Which was really well done and hilarious, when you watch it on DVD. However, the network aired the second episode first, so viewers were treated to a clip show episode constantly calling back to an episode that they never saw. The network then aired the sixth episode (titled, as a joke, "The Last Episode Ever", since the network only ordered 6 episodes to start with). Further, the network aired it in a different time, on a different day, with no advertising whatsoever. It was then cancelled for low viewership.

tl;dr - The way it was handled could be best described as a cluster****. Which is a shame, because it was really good. I highly recommend checking it out if you ever get the chance.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

I have never understood why networks do that sometimes. Why not release the episodes in order? What's the benefit?
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have never understood why networks do that sometimes. Why not release the episodes in order? What's the benefit?
    Often, the benefit is that they get to cancel the show. I wouldnt be surprised if they stole the show to keep the other network from getting it, then actually looked at what they got and went "eurgh!"

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Often, the benefit is that they get to cancel the show. I wouldnt be surprised if they stole the show to keep the other network from getting it, then actually looked at what they got and went "eurgh!"
    On the other end of the spectrum there are also occasions, especially with animated shows, where the first few episodes look experimental bad as the production staff hadn't yet found the series' artistic "groove"; and the network understandably wants the premiere to be strong. Off the top of my head, Teen Titans was first aired with Final Exam, the third episode produced; presumably because the first episode (Divide And Conquer) was extremely rough.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

So I just caught what I think was a very spoilery clip from the last few episodes of clone wars.

The Spoiler clip

And I want to urge our viewer to stick it out. As stupid as some things are, it looks like it's going to get much, much better as we go on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    So I just caught what I think was a very spoilery clip from the last few episodes of clone wars.

The Spoiler clip

And I want to urge our viewer to stick it out. As stupid as some things are, it looks like it's going to get much, much better as we go on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Look, I've been doing this for more than a year now, and I am almost at the halfway point. Believe you me, I am too committed to quit now.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    As stupid as some things are, it looks like it's going to get much, much better as we go on.
    Spoiler alert: it's pretty par for the course right now.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler alert: it's pretty par for the course right now.
    The series committed to a steady 3-4 episode long arc structure from Season 3 onward. Basically from that point quality varied based on the quality of the individual arcs involved. Though certain arcs were interconnected, for example the overall Ventress plotline. None of the later seasons really stands apart from any of the others, they all have good arcs, mediocre arcs, and at least one bad arc. Now, insofar as the series manages to conclude some of its various overall plotlines, it generally sticks the landing (Ventress, regrettably, got left on the cutting room floor), so there absolutely is a worthy payoff to all of this, which is more than can be said of a lot of kid-oriented sci-fi.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

24. - Top - End - #714

The series committed to a steady 3-4 episode long arc structure from Season 3 onward. Basically from that point quality varied based on the quality of the individual arcs involved. Though certain arcs were interconnected, for example the overall Ventress plotline. None of the later seasons really stands apart from any of the others, they all have good arcs, mediocre arcs, and at least one bad arc. Now, insofar as the series manages to conclude some of its various overall plotlines, it generally sticks the landing (Ventress, regrettably, got left on the cutting room floor), so there absolutely is a worthy payoff to all of this, which is more than can be said of a lot of kid-oriented sci-fi.
    That's a pretty fair assessment, yeah.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Season 4, Episode 9: Plan of Dissent

Show
    Krell turned the airbase into the 501st's temporary HQ. Umabarans insurgents are trying to take it back but for now the clones can manage the situation. Hardcase and Fives are still a bit salty that Krell hasn't even thanked them for their heroics. Meanwhile Kenobi calls his colleague, the umbarans use a different hologram technology than everybody else: the holos are made up of hundreds of little cube of lights that gather together and move around. Very good looking. Kenobi's troops haven't taken the capital since the defenders are using long range missiles (I'm not sure how that helps in that situation, but okay). Turns out that now that the airbase is lost the umbarans are being supllied by a transport ship in orbit. It seems to be part of a Separatist counter-attack (that's my guess since the Separatist fleet stationed there was destroyed two episodes ago). The republicans are outnumbered in space o destroying that supply ship isn't on the table for now. Krell decides that they'll just have to do with the missiles and tell Kenobi his battalion will join with his. Then the communication is cut, jammed by the enemy.

Krell gives Rex twelve hours to have the men ready to leave. Rex wants to try and contact Kenobi again. Krell thinks there's no time (plus the jamming) as both armies have their hands full (just at that moment stuff blows up in the distance). The General tells the captain that, although he "hasn't always agreed with his strategies", he is both loyal and smart enough to obey and leaves. No prize for guessing how the men take their new assignment. Fives even says that the enemy missiles have a hundred megaton yield. what the ****? That's almost twice as powerful as the Tsar Bomba and they're using it on their own territory! Are they completely insane? The other clones again wonder if Krell hates them or what. And, again, Dogma is the only one who takes the general's side. One clone, Jesse, thinks Krell's desire to win blinds him to the casualty. His casualty numbers being much higher than the other generals. Fives thinks he's out of control and behaves nothing like the other Jedi. Rex agrees with them, but he hasn't a better plan to offer. Fives does: use the umbaran fighters, and their access codes (which Jesse cracked) to sneak past the ship's defenses and destroy it.

Rex immediately suggests that plan to Krell "with all due respect." Krell points out they don't have any pilot to do that. Rex points out that two of them already managed to fly these fighters so they can be trained quickly. Krell refuse to waste clones on "frivolous adventures." Three enemy missiles narrowly miss the airbase and destroy a few trees (100-megaton yield, my ass). Rex tell Fives and Co that the plan is going on unmodified, so Fives suggest they still do his thing, without approval and suffer the consequences. Rex says if he were in charge and they had time to train, he'd go for it, but they'd be court-martialed and they aren't pilots. Jesse thinks that if Hardcase can fly these things any of them can, but Top doesn't share the sentiment. Then Dogma comes in and everybody just awkwardly stops talking. Not suspicious at all. Fives leaves with Rex to keep arguing. He thinks marching blindly to their death is a weird notion of honour. Rex tells him that they have to obey orders if they support the system they fight for. Fives retorts that he does, but he isn't another number, none of them are! (Fives, you've got a "5" tattooed on your brow.) then he leaves to find pilots.

A bit later, in the hangar, Hardcase tries to get a better grip of the fighters' controls. And loses control immediately, knocking crates around and almost knocking out clones. Fives says it can get much worse and the clone next o him shoots him a glance as an alarm starts ringing. Oldie but goldie. One clone in the HQ tells Krell about the disturbance and the general immediately calls to ask what is going on. Fives tries to come up with excuses, and honestly even without Hardcase accidentally starting to fire I don't think the Jedi would have bought it. "Who is this!? What's your CT number!?" Aaaand Hardcase fires a big blast that destroys the door, prompting Krell to go there in person. Heh, it was a boring conversation anyway. Hardcase finally manages to land his plane just as Krell and Rex come in. Hardcase immediately blames the incident on an enemy booby-trap in the ship they were trying to hack, and had he not managed to climb inside and redirect the missile to the door, something worse might have happened. Fives confirms his story. Krell conclude that that means the fighters can't be flown at all and he orders them locked down. Hardcase isn't really bothered by this since they were already planning to go against orders. Jesse walks to him and says that he thought the plan was to destroy the enemy ships, not their own hangar. Okay he wanted to tell that one when Hardcase landed but had to wait until Krell left, didn't he? I hate that, when you think of a good joke but you can't place it in discussion before the right moment passes. I feel you, Jesse. regardless, Jesse and Hradcase volunteers to fly with Fives. Fives explains that Anakin told him about the battle of Naboo, so he figures they're going to do the exact same thing he did back then only, you know, intentionally. I would say there's no way they haven't thought of moving the reactors further away from the hangars in all those years, but I think it's been established that "intelligent arms design" isn't the CIS's strong point.

Before leaving, they meet Rex (who's on patrol) to tell him they're doing it and they want to know if he'll try to stop them. He just says he can't help them when they get caught (fence-sitter). They sneak aboard three fighters and take-off. Jesse explains he's doing it specifically to spite Krell and Hardcase is doing it for fun. The Grand Army of the Republic, everyone. Meanwhile, in the barracks, Dogma wakes up and notices they aren't there. He wakes Top up and asks where they are. He puts two and two together when his brother refuses to answer so he says they have to tell the general. Top doesn't want to but Dogma says they have to or be court-martial for complicity in their insubordination. I mean, it's not like anyone could prove you knew anything... Anyway, that convinces Top. Back with our three improvised pilots, they've reached the space battle and it's an impressive one, all the ships are grouped together flying at various angles, it's very chaotic. The Seppies leave them alone, to their relief and, to my disappointment, no Republican fires at them. They head for the supply ship, it's a lucrehulk ship without the usual ring-like structure and split in half, with some bridge connecting both hemispheres, for some reason.

Back on the ground, Krell demands tp know why three fighters just left his base. Rex says he's authorized a reconnaissance ahead of their planned path for the next day to make Krell's strategy more effective. Krell doesn't buy it and demands to see this report as soon as the ships are back. As he leaves, Rex spots Dogma and Top on their way to see Krell. He intercepts them. Dogma say they have a personal matter to discuss with the general. The captain say they can tell him and he'll pass it to the general. Dogma backs off. The pilots get inside the transport ship just as the B1's end their break time (what?). One of them recognizes the pilots as clones. One B1 on the bridge see a button blink and tell the tactic droids in charge there are clones in the main hangar, which that droid deems impossible (then why do you have an alarm light, specifically for that situation?). The droids close a door to stop the clones, but Hardcase has figured out how to "open" hangar doors with his fighter. The tactician accepts reality and has the next door ray-shielded, which means the fighters can't destroy them (they could blast through ray-shields last episode, what gives?). They're cornered and the droids' little blasters are slowly eating away at their shields. Hardcase decides to drop his ship's magazine and leaves it. he tells the order to leave while he goes in through a little door with his big alien crate of ammo. Fives yells at him not to do it. Hardcase tells him to follow at least one order this day and get out (pretty sure he outranks you, man). Jesse tells Fives that Hardcase isn't going to back down and they leave just as hardcase throws the ammo at the reactor making explode. He tells them to lie to fight another day as he closes his eyes. The other two just barely escape the fireball and head back to the ground.

Rex and Top welcome them and they all take a moment to mourn Hardcase. They are then summoned by Krell. tHe general says they have committed a brave act, that was also a serious crime. Both Fives and Rex try to take blame but Krell isn't listening to them. He says that ARC-5555 and CT-5597 (holy crap, he does know the number of every clone in the battalion) shall be court-martialed, found guilty and executed.

Show
    Like I said, I had watched the next episode before that one, so I had figured out that Hardcase wouldn't come back. I'm not sure his death would have hit me differently if he hadn't known since he was basically a copy (heh) of Heavy from Domino squad.

It's been a while since we had a good old space battle too. Can't say when at the top of my head but I'd like a proper one soon-ish.

Rex's argument about "supporting the system means obeying order" would be a bad one in normal circumstances, but really the clones don't have any reason to support the system, anyway.

This episode was considerably more well-lit than the previous ones, so it was much easier to tell the clone apart and notice the little bit of customization on their armor: Dogma has a downward pointing arrow painted on his armour and tattooed on his face, Hardcase three vertical lines on his helmet, Top has a topknot and Jesse a Republic symbol both on his head and helmet. Fives and rex have their shoulder pads, of course.

Next up: Carnage of Krell.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

I skipped most of Umbara when I watched TCW, interesting to see this.

What they're going for is the Clones individualism as against Krell's inflexibibity, but the Clones actually did have a bad plan that only works due to plot armour.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course he does end up being a traitor.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post

What they're going for is the Clones individualism as against Krell's inflexibibity, but the Clones actually did have a bad plan that only works due to plot armour.

Spoiler
    Show
    They did have a bad plan, but its at least somewhat implied that they have to make due with a bad plan because of Krell putting them in that position in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it's a bad plan? The only flaw I can see is the lack of pilots, but the fighter's controls are intuitive enough they managed very well last episode, so...
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Season 4, Episode 10: Carnage of Krell

Show
    We open with Rex pleading for mercy for Fives and Jesse, to no avail of course. Well, to some avail. Krell decides not to court-martial the two, but to have them summarily executed as an example of the price for insubordination. Immediately. Rex goes to the jail section of the base, where we get a shot of the captured Umbarans (this is the last time we see them, by the way) and breaks the news to the two unlucky clones. Jesse is outraged (naturally) and Fives tell Rex that Krell is using his loyalty to control the rest of the battalion, but also that they knew the consequences when they acted (Jesse didn't).

The execution squad is lead by Dogma and includes Top. I don't think it's policy in any army to have people be executed by their own squadmates, but story got to story. Fives takes the opportunity to throw one last jab at Dogma while refusing blindfolds. Fives also makes a little speech about the clones' right to make their own decision in front of wrong orders just before Dogma orders "Fire!" The squad fires... and all six of them miss (they miss so bad they make ten impact marks despite all shooting once). You know, there has been case where an execution squad genuinely all missed in real life, but of course they missed on purpose. Rex orders the two prisoners released while dogma rants that they have to go through with their orders. "Good luck finding anyone to do it."

Krell has Rex and Dogma summoned and tell Rex he is making a mistake. They are interrupted by a communication form a trooper telling Krell that the Umbarans have ambushed a platoon and seized their weapons and uniforms. They are preparing a massive attack. Krell decides to delay their little chat and orders Rex to put the two "traitors" back in the brig and marshall their forces. Oh and to make sure they are aware the enemy may diguise themselves as clones.

As Rex's platoon is advancing to meet the Umbarans, one clone (Top?) stops Dogma from walking into the same kind of carnivorous plant that almost ate Hardcase when they first landed. Just as they're done staring at it, they get fired at. They answer in kind but it takes them a while to spot the enemy. Who is indeed wearing clone armour. With the yellow markings of the 212th battalion (Kenobi's unit). The fight is pretty even with both sides taking heavy casualties. Until Rex spots a dead assailant on the ground and notices he is not only not wearing the Umbarans' usual environment suit (which would not fit) but seems to have an exposed throat and chin under his helmet. Rex takes off the dead soldier's helmet to see his own face staring dead at him. Not a welcome sight in any situation. Rex runs to the battlefield yelling at everyone to stop firing and take off their helmet to show they're all clones. Since everybody takes a moment to register what he is saying he has to take off his own helmet and wrestle one of the 212th out of his to get everybody to stop killing each other.

Awkwaaaard. As everybody tries to process what happened, one of Rex's soldiers told him he found the platoon leader who is wounded but still alive. It's Waxxer from the Ryloth episodes. And, oh god, he's got a picture of the twi'lek child drawn on his helmet. Waxxer tell Rex that it was Krell who sent them to these coordinates and told them the enemy was wearing clone armour. And then he dies with a tear on his cheek. Rex gathers the survivors of the two units and tells them that what he is planning something highly treasonous so if anyone wants to opt out, now is the time. They all step forward. You know, I usually dislike this specific story beat where everybody sides with the heroes but in this particular case, yeah, it makes sense. Anyway, Rex tells them his plan: to arrest Krell for treason.

As they walk back into the airbase, though, Dogma slips away. Rex heads for the brig and lets Fives and Jesse out. Once in headquarters they surround Krell and notify him he is relieved of duty. "It's treason, then." No, you did not! Krell even corrects himself one line later as he tells Rex this is mutiny. When asked why he ordered the troops against one another he answers he is surprised that Rex could figure that out, for a clone. Again, that is not how sentences work. Of course, the rogue Jedi doesn't surrender without a fight. He Force pushes everybody away from him and unsheathes his lightsabers. A tears through them, states he won't be undermined by creatures bread in some laboratory and flees through the window. Huh, you were winning? despite all the base now attacking him, he makes it to the forest surrounding them. Rex and Co are in hot pursuit but dogma stops them by pointing his rifle at Rex. he says they are all traitors and it is his duty to stop them. Going to fight everybody alone, Dogma? Rex takes off his helmet and tell him they were designed to blindly follow order but they're not droids, so they have to learn how to make their own decisions. Just a reminder that everybody in this scene is about eleven years old. Dogma stands down and Rex has him sent to the brig.

While in the forest Krell strikes back at his pursuers but when he gets to Rex's group he chooses to do the "talk from a distance while the heroes try to find the monster" trope. How is that even supposed to work, anyway? He gloats that rex should have listened to fives all along. I mean, it's not like Fives guessed he was a traitor, so... Krell starts fighting them then at one points he puts his lightsabers away and starts beating the crap out of them bare-handed. Okay, now that's just disrespectful. However when he throws Top away, the latter lands near a carnivorous plant and tell Rex to lure Krell towards him. which they do. Krell charges blindly at the lone clone and is caught by the plant monster. He still fights for a while but ends up stunned by Top as the monster is killed.

Back to the brig, with Krell in the cell this time, next to Dogma. Rex asks him why he did all that. rell says he did it because he could, because they're inferior and because he has foreseen the rise of a new power that will wipe out the Jedi and he intends to be part of it. However he admits to not actually be working under Dooku. Yet. He thinks the Count will take him as an apprentice as rewards for driving the Republic out of Umbara. Dogma... does not take this well, especially since he still sided with him after he made his kill his brothers. Krell just laughs and calls him the biggest fool of them all. Accurate. Rex tell the traitor he will be dealt with as such but Krell simply says he will be freed when the Umbarans take back the base. Making a lot of assumptions there.

As Rex leaves, he is told that the transmitter, who had apparently been sabotaged by Krell has been repaired and they've received a message from Obi-Wan. The cpaital city has fallen but the remaining umbaran fighters are headed their way. The clones are afraid that Krell could turn over a lot of intel to the Separatists if he is freed. Rex agrees that Krell is a threat as long as he is alive. They come back to the brig and free Dogma (why didn't they do that beofre?) And Rex, taking out his pistol, orders Krell to face the wall and drop on his knees. Krell does it and asks if Rex enjoys his newfound power. then he mocks the fear he feels in him. He says rex can't do it and Rex seems to agree. What the hell Rex, I saw you execute defeated wounded enemies two episodes ago, why couldn't you do this? Anyway, Krell is shot in the back by Dogma who had stolen Fives' gun. Dogma just says Krell had betrayed them.

Cut to later, Dogma is taken away in cuffs while Fives tells Rex Kenobi and his battalions ahve routed the last of the Umbaran forces and that the planet is now firmly under republic control. Rex doesn't really react to the news, just pointing at everything and wondering why. Fives says he doesn't know, he reckon nobody actually knows, but one day the war is going to end. This just makes Rex wonders what will happen to them then. End of the episode.

Show
    And that was the last episode of the Umbaran arc. Definitely the best arc of this season so far. Rex has really grown as a character, hasn't he? I understand why, Doylistically speaking he had to lead the charge against Krell at the end but it would have been nice if they'd explain why contacting Obi-Wan after the forest incident wasn't an option.

Waxxer's death was a gut-punch. Even though we didn't know him the reminder of his bound with the little twi'lek girl and the the ignominiosity of it made it quite painful.

Now, Krell. I'm not really fond of the all "the guy on their side the heroes find unlikeable turns out to be a secret bad guy" trope. Sometimes you don't get along with people and that's just it, neither of you are evil or anything, you just can't stand each other a,d I'd like to see that reflected more in fiction. Especially since it's all too common for fiction to forget that other characters don't share the protagonist's point of view. With that said, Krell was a nice antagonist, certainly in the show's top ten, as the creeping realization that this guy isn't actually on their side and that the clones will have to defy their command structure (which is the main point of reference they have in their life) was very well executed and it was made for a different sort of conflict than "Jedi slashes bad guys until problem is solved." With that said, his plan was terrible. Like, be a **** general on purpose and hope that impresses Dooku enough for him to recruit you? Without having told him in advance that was what you were doing? why not simply defecting and bargaining the intel you have into an apprenticeship? I'm not sure why they didn't have him be already under Dooku's employ, even with this as a test Tyranus assigned him to prove his cunning or something.

I hope we see Jesse and Top again after this. I also wonder what will happen to Dogma since he had no authority to do what he did and that his brothers apparently did tell on him. Also it was kind of awkward that the writers had to have the clones free him when Rex decides to execute Krell because they couldn't justify his presence in the brig otherwise. Not sure how that could have been done better to be honest.

Next up: Kidnapped, hopefully. The file error hasn't been fixed, so I hope it only concerned these four episodes. In any case, the previous episodes seem to be in the right order. Also, I wonder if we are going to see what Anakin was recalled to do while this was going down.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-09-10 at 06:46 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Honestly, i dislike Krell as a villain here because apparently even before he decided to openly betray the republic, he was a terrible general and a terrible jedi. Every Jedi from Yoda on down respects the clones as living individuals, because thats just who the Jedi are, except for this guy apparently. And they still let him be in charge in spite of his massive casualty rates and visible disrespect towards the lives under his command? How did he ever get as far as he did in the first place?

He may have been better as a padawan commander or something here. Really force the issue of competence versus chain of command, and show the corrupting effects the war is having on the more impressionable Jedi.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-10 at 08:43 AM.